• 49 results
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

Some very sad news for us Giantbomb metal fans. Jeff Hanneman Died this morning from a liver failure. I am seriously bummed out about ithis. Sad sad weekend I am going to have here.

Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That really sucks to hear.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

yes it is. Last interview I saw with King, he was talking about the new album they were working on. I hope they will at least finish that, but if they decided to call it quits then I'll be ok with that.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By CastroCasper

Man, the day metal died.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

First thing I saw when I got home. Shocked. Then Seasons in the Abyss got a full play. Sad times.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigjeffrey

IVE been blasting some South Of Heaven All Day, Show No Mercy - Black Magic made me mosh in my room. Sad to see one of these dudes go.

I like Slayer
I like Slayer

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck.

Since it's 2:30am now, I will have to wait until the morning to celebrate his life through tribute.

This sucks.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst news

RIP

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cmblasko

@mordukai said:

@cmblasko said:

yes it is. Last interview I saw with King, he was talking about the new album they were working on. I hope they will at least finish that, but if they decided to call it quits then I'll be ok with that.

I would like to see them finish the album, but I'd totally understand if they stopped touring afterwards.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Jrinswand

Whoa. I haven't kept up with Slayer since... oh, ever, but apparently Jeff Hanneman had necrotizing fasciitis. That's pretty insane. It also seems kind of ironic, considering the band had a number of songs about decaying flesh, including "Dead Skin Mask."

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't listen to Slayer but as a metal fan, it's a very sad day. One of the fathers of the genre for sure. RIP.

Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Kill

Don't listen to Slayer but as a metal fan,

>metal fan

>doesn't listen to Slayer

What is this madness... I downloaded the Slayer discography a few days ago for some gym motivation, now I'll definitely keep it on rotation. RIP.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kill said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Don't listen to Slayer but as a metal fan,

>metal fan

>doesn't listen to Slayer

What is this madness... I downloaded the Slayer discography a few days ago for some gym motivation, now I'll definitely keep it on rotation. RIP.

I'm more into the European side of metal. No idea why.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slayer is my all time favorite band and my heart sunk when I heard the news earlier today. Jeff wrote some of the greatest metal songs of all time. R.I.P duder.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By Daneian

Both his wife and sister were named Kathy?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Not a fan of Slayer by any means but I'm sure it sucks for those who have ties to the band.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Yeah, this is fucking heartbreaking news. I've never really been much of a Slayer fan but I have massive respect and appreciation for what they have done for metal. Hanneman was an undeniable legend and he will be missed.

It's been a particularly shitty month for musicians. I'm still not really over Chi Cheng's death.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

Not only heartbreaking news, but shocking as well. It's a shitty way to go for a man who brought so much to a genre. Anyone who is really into Slayer knows the importance of Hanneman in the band, as he was their primary songwriter. He was hands down one of the best metal writers to ever live, and his loss is a massive blow in what has already been a heavy year for metal.

How fucked is it that Dio and Hanneman are both gone...but the goddamn Rolling Stones still keep getting to tour? I'd trade Richards for Hanneman any day of the week.

RIP Jeff.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JouselDelka

Been listening to good old Slayer all day after reading this terrible news on Facebook.

He will live on through this unique catalogue of music he wrote and co-wrote over the decades. RIP.

Definitely pouring one out for him tonight..

Loading Video...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rafaelfc

Godamn spiders!!!! Why can't you go track down some crap pop artists instead?!!?!?

Dio and Hannemann both gone, yet Bieber still lives and breathes, what world is this we live in??

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

:(

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In honor of him i spent most of last night listening to the Reign in Blood album in it's entirety while reading about the SS and Nazi war criminals. A fitting end.

Rest in Peace Jeff.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By stonyman65

@jakob187 said:

Not only heartbreaking news, but shocking as well. It's a shitty way to go for a man who brought so much to a genre. Anyone who is really into Slayer knows the importance of Hanneman in the band, as he was their primary songwriter. He was hands down one of the best metal writers to ever live, and his loss is a massive blow in what has already been a heavy year for metal.

How fucked is it that Dio and Hanneman are both gone...but the goddamn Rolling Stones still keep getting to tour? I'd trade Richards for Hanneman any day of the week.

RIP Jeff.

Fuckin' A.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By Svenzon

@rafaelfc said:

Godamn spiders!!!! Why can't you go track down some crap pop artists instead?!!?!?

Dio and Hannemann both gone, yet Bieber still lives and breathes, what world is this we live in??

Wishing death upon people just because you don't like their music? Yeah, I wonder what kind of fucking world we live in.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@svenzon said:

@rafaelfc said:

Wishing death upon people just because you don't like their music? Yeah, I wonder what kind of fucking world we live in.

Hey, I didn't wish death upon anyone.

I meant that I find it a cruel injustice that 2 of the most talented musicians ever are both gone, whereas talentless hacks seem to live forever.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it seem weird to anybody else that Hanneman died of liver failure, but everybody seems to be focusing on his necrotizing fasciitis, a disease that has nothing to do with the liver? I mean, he was cured of it two years ago, when he had one of his arms removed.

My guess is that he fell into a depression and drank himself to death. Does anybody know if he was much of a drinker?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Does it seem weird to anybody else that Hanneman died of liver failure, but everybody seems to be focusing on his necrotizing fasciitis, a disease that has nothing to do with the liver? I mean, he was cured of it two years ago, when he had one of his arms removed.

He did not have his arm removed, dude. He had skin grafts to replace the infected flesh.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jrinswand

@jrinswand said:

He did not have his arm removed, dude. He had skin grafts to replace the infected flesh.

My bad. I must have misread an article somewhere. I also did some more reading in some science databases. The "spider bite" thing sounds like bullshit. Apparently, people who have chronic liver disease (such as cirrhosis of the liver) are at a much greater risk of developing necrotizing fasciitis. Necrotizing fasciitis is a symptom of liver failure, not a cause. So why is everybody spinning it as if it has something to do with a spider bite?

It just sounds fishy to me.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Really sad news. Never been much of a Slayer fan (I'm more of a European metal guy) but I have always respected him. He was hugely influential in metal in the 80s and still is today.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_ said:

@jrinswand said:

My bad. I must have misread an article somewhere. I also did some more reading in some science databases. The "spider bite" thing sounds like bullshit. Apparently, people who have chronic liver disease (such as cirrhosis of the liver) are at a much greater risk of developing necrotizing fasciitis. Necrotizing fasciitis is a symptom of liver failure, not a cause. So why is everybody spinning it as if it has something to do with a spider bite?

It just sounds fishy to me.

It happened, like you said, 2 years ago. He was in a hot tub and noticed a bite from what looked like a spider on his arm. Not soon after his skin started to burn and he went to the hospital. You can read about the story online. I have no idea how or even if the bite could be related to his liver failure, so I won't jump to any conclusions. More than likely, it's from years and years of hard drinking. That shit catches up to you sooner or later. Either way, it sucks and it's real sad to hear about.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ThomasG666

RIP.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

@svenzon said:

@rafaelfc said:

I meant that I find it a cruel injustice that 2 of the most talented musicians ever are both gone, whereas talentless hacks seem to live forever.

Well I mean...Bieber is 19. Saying he's seemingly lived forever is nonsense. And, as cruel as it may seem, it's hardly surprising that hard partying, old-school rockers die of stuff like liver failure. Dio was stomach cancer so that was a shock but when I first heard Hanneman died the first thing I thought of was "liver failure?" Sadly, it's no longer surprising to see my favorite musicians die from liver failure because quite a few of them are getting up their in years and their time spent partying like mad men is catching up to them. Yeah, Bieber's music sucks and the dude seems like a complete tool but of course these middle aged (and now some are elderly...christ) men are dying before him. I wouldn't wish death on the kid for anything. Even if it meant bringing the GREAT John Bonham back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I wish I could say I knew who this guy was, but I don't. Sad regardless.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guitarist and Songwriter for Slayer. Regarded as one of the most important men in Metal.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow that sucks. it's sad to hear about that. i'm at least happy that i got to see them at least once.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godlyawesomeguy said:

Guitarist and Songwriter for Slayer. Regarded as one of the most important men in Metal.

Oh, that explains it. Metal music really isn't my jam at all.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Not really a slayer fan but listened to Reign in Blood all day on loop. Fuck that album is so good. RIP.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MideonNViscera

@cmblasko said:

I assume you mean Slayer's discography. ZING!

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By laserbolts

@rafaelfc said:

@svenzon said:

@rafaelfc said:

Isn't Bieber like 12 or something?

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard about this last night and it fucking hit home, dude was the inspiration for me to start playing guitar and before that Slayer was the first extreme metal I got into. Wish I had gotten to meet him, but his music will always stay on my frequently played. Too soon for metal to lose one of the biggest influences ever.

Loading Video...

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siroptimusprime: Decade of Aggression has been on an endless loop over here. I think I am starting to piss off my neighbors.

Never got to see the the original line up live, or any lineup for that matte, so I guess that's as close as I am going to get because I have a feeling they are gonna call it quits.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I guess he's up there rocking with Hitler now...

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

\m/ thrash metal for life!

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By rflx

I don't even know how to process that comment.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His music is the reason I got into metal. He'll be missed in the metal community more than anyone so far in my book.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@rflx said:

@dallas_raines said:

I don't even know how to process that comment.

Yeah, he wasn't a Nazi. Collecting Nazi memorabilia does not a Nazi make. Even as someone who's not a Slayer fan (but I respect what they've done for Metal, obviously.) I know they've publicly denounced Nazism and racism several times. Hell, I know several people who have Nazi memorabilia (my very liberal uncle has an SS uniform along with some Luftwaffe stuff.), it's just an astonishingly disturbing, profound and fascinating subject among history fans.