Jeff just crossed the line. I can no longer tolerate this.

• 155 results
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I really like the first two DMB albums, the first two Counting Crows albums, the first two Weezer albums, and the first two* Everclear albums. I couldn't get into anything they ever did after that.

Ah, the mid 90s. Thankfully, lots of other bands 90s bands still know how to make a good album. Off the top of my head, The Toadies, Nine Inch Nails, and Smashing Pumpkins come to mind.

Not a big fan of Macklemore, though.

* Three if you count their indie label debut, World of Noise.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@mariachimacabre said:

@shady said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Jeff is almost a professional hater. I feel like the only things recently he has liked is Trackmania ("ironically"), Borderlands 1 (but not 2), Fast 5, and... that's about it?

He doesn't praise things very often. To his credit, though, he agrees with me in disliking stuff that's terrible but everyone loves like Final Fantasy VII and Zelda 64... so... I still like him.

That's impressive considering he gave Ocarina of Time a 10 and has said several times it is one of the greatest games of all time.

Quite the feat.

Also calling that game terrible is the most hilarious thing. Even if you don't enjoy it. It was an astounding game when it came out. And it still holds up really well on the 3DS. And Jeff is right to have praised it so highly.

EDIT: And if @jazgalaxy is actually referring to Majora's Mask, he should have specified. I still really enjoyed MM but it wasn't nearly as good as Ocarina of Time.

I could write a 10 page essay on why Ocarina of Time is a terrible, terrible zelda game, and in many ways a poor game overall.

Basically it has to do with the fact that most of the design decisions that went into the game were a result of Miyamoto being scared people wouldn't be able to play games in 3D, which set the design trend for the decline of Nintendo software. It's why Zelda, one of the greatest hack and slash games of all time, became Ocarina of Time: the greatest hiding, waiting, and blocking games of all time.

Considering that most 3D action games up to that point were relative garbage and that Ocarina of Time is largely credited with establishing several elements of action games going forward (ex: Z-targeting), improving on third-person action substantially, I find your reasons for disdain hilarious.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I completely agree with Jeff here (for once), even if I don't quite get what he's trying to say.

Anyway, Macklemore sucks.

you completely agree, yet you're not quite sure what he means?

What if he loves Dave mathews band?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Hamst3r

Dude, what the fuck.

You know you're not allowed to have opinions or make jokes or use hyperbole on the internet!

Get it together, man.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jeff is an opinionated duder, deal with it. I don't always agree with him either, but i respect his tenacity.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Loading Video...

@tycobb:

This video looks like it cost a shit load to make. Funny that he filmed part of it in what looks like Cathedral Cove in the Coromandel here in New Zealand.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By Addfwyn

I literally only listen to kpop, so I can't make much judgements about music, but I can't say I can argue with the hating Red Dead thing. There seems to be a lot of things Jeff does like though, like any quirky rhythm game ever.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By AssInAss

Jeff hates Red Dead? Alright, it's one of my favorite games of this gen, but whatever, to each his own. Jeff hates the movie Aliens? Alright, you're losing me, I gotta admit, but whatever...I can understand someone disliking that movie.

But...this? This is over the line. OVER THE FUCKING LINE.

(I'm basing this off the distant memory that Jeff once referred to DMB in a negative context, if I am wrong about that, please ostracize me)

I hate Red Dead Redemption and most Rockstar games, Alien is better than Aliens, and Macklemore is not the rapper to give this much a shit about it. His lyrics and messages are pretty generic. Opinions, how do they work?! I'm sure you meant this as a joke, though.

Now, Death Grips? Now we're talking.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Schizophrenic, angry hobo ramblings and they're amazing.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@hailinel said:

@jazgalaxy said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@shady said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Jeff is almost a professional hater. I feel like the only things recently he has liked is Trackmania ("ironically"), Borderlands 1 (but not 2), Fast 5, and... that's about it?

He doesn't praise things very often. To his credit, though, he agrees with me in disliking stuff that's terrible but everyone loves like Final Fantasy VII and Zelda 64... so... I still like him.

That's impressive considering he gave Ocarina of Time a 10 and has said several times it is one of the greatest games of all time.

Quite the feat.

Also calling that game terrible is the most hilarious thing. Even if you don't enjoy it. It was an astounding game when it came out. And it still holds up really well on the 3DS. And Jeff is right to have praised it so highly.

EDIT: And if @jazgalaxy is actually referring to Majora's Mask, he should have specified. I still really enjoyed MM but it wasn't nearly as good as Ocarina of Time.

I could write a 10 page essay on why Ocarina of Time is a terrible, terrible zelda game, and in many ways a poor game overall.

Basically it has to do with the fact that most of the design decisions that went into the game were a result of Miyamoto being scared people wouldn't be able to play games in 3D, which set the design trend for the decline of Nintendo software. It's why Zelda, one of the greatest hack and slash games of all time, became Ocarina of Time: the greatest hiding, waiting, and blocking games of all time.

Considering that most 3D action games up to that point were relative garbage and that Ocarina of Time is largely credited with establishing several elements of action games going forward (ex: Z-targeting), improving on third-person action substantially, I find your reasons for disdain hilarious.

It gets a lot of credit it doesn't deserve for "establishing several elements of action games". There were already several 3d games on the PC that were doing interesting things without skirting around the issue of combat the way Zelda 64 does.

How do you fight Skulltullas in Zelda 64? You wait for them to drop, turn around, and then attack them when their weakness is exposed.

How do you fight those bush guys? You hold out your shield, wait for them to shoot you and then block it back at them.

How do you fight Octaroks? You wait for them to attack you and block them.

How do you fight Moblins? You wait for them to turn around and then shoot them in the back.

I think it wasn't until I faught the stalfos knights in the last section of the game that I felt like the game even played a fraction like what a zelda game was supposed to play like.

These things plus gimmick bosses, a fairy who tells you EXACTLY WHAT TO DO AT ALL TIMES, and an uncommonly linear game progression and you have one of the worst zelda games ever made, behind Twilight Princess.

My brother and I were so into Zelda that we called up Toys R Us, like, everyday waiting to see when Zelda 3 would release for the SNES. And when it did, it was a masterpiece. I remember watching the pre-release video for Zelda 64 over and over again in excitement over the game, and I remember the first time playing it and being utterly disappointed in a way no other game has made me feel save for maybe Final Fantasy VII and Duke Nukem Forever. I frequently wonder if I would have liked it more if It hadn't been called Zelda.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad. I remember being blown away the first time I saw Lake Hylia, and I remember really liking certain temples in the middle and late parts of the game. Overall, though, it's just a poor, poor zelda game that gets way to much credit out of nostalgia and is rarely looked at in terms of how much it hurt the gaming industry.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead is one of the best games this Gen

Aliens is a good movie, but Alien is vastly superior, in every possible way really

Fuck Dave Matthews and his shitty ass band

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Joystick_Hero

God forbid someone doesn't share your opinions on something. Clearly, they're wrong, and should be hated for it.

Of course, I know you don't ACTUALLY hate him.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By pr1mus

I don't know about Dave Matthews Band but i like Alien 3 about a billion times more than Aliens.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#RIFFRAFF

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I don't see the comparison. DMB is just boring, whereas Macklemore is more actively bad.

I would have accepted Kings of Leon or My Morning Jacket.

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dave Matthew's Band is talented, but I hate their music so much. His singing is annoying, and the lyrics are deliberately obtuse. The only saving grace about them is Carter Beauford. Jeff is doing the lord's work to speak out about this band that so many tools in college like.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Milkman

lol this thread

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

What the fuck is a Macklemore?

A small, scaly fish found primarily in the Pacific Ocean.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Jeff is an entertainer. Sure, he's a smart guy when it comes to the video game industry, but he is, first and foremost, an entertainer. That is the very reason we now have this amazing, video-focused website. It is not entertaining to simply say good things are good and bad things are bad. Sometimes you need to be loud, obnoxious, and disagreeable to get the attention of the masses. Jeff thrives when a lot of people are looking his way, so his personality has developed in a way that allows him to make bombastic statements and still be liked.

So without knowing him personally, I honestly think most of what Jeff says is a byproduct of him being an entertainer (consciously and subconsciously). He didn't tweet that statement because he believes it is a sagely revelation, or because he thinks it will change anyone's mind. He tweeted it because he knew we would come here and talk about it. That's just Jeff being Jeff.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@jazgalaxy said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@shady said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Quite the feat.

It gets a lot of credit it doesn't deserve for "establishing several elements of action games". There were already several 3d games on the PC that were doing interesting things without skirting around the issue of combat the way Zelda 64 does.

How do you fight Skulltullas in Zelda 64? You wait for them to drop, turn around, and then attack them when their weakness is exposed.

How do you fight those bush guys? You hold out your shield, wait for them to shoot you and then block it back at them.

How do you fight Octaroks? You wait for them to attack you and block them.

How do you fight Moblins? You wait for them to turn around and then shoot them in the back.

I think it wasn't until I faught the stalfos knights in the last section of the game that I felt like the game even played a fraction like what a zelda game was supposed to play like.

These things plus gimmick bosses, a fairy who tells you EXACTLY WHAT TO DO AT ALL TIMES, and an uncommonly linear game progression and you have one of the worst zelda games ever made, behind Twilight Princess.

My brother and I were so into Zelda that we called up Toys R Us, like, everyday waiting to see when Zelda 3 would release for the SNES. And when it did, it was a masterpiece. I remember watching the pre-release video for Zelda 64 over and over again in excitement over the game, and I remember the first time playing it and being utterly disappointed in a way no other game has made me feel save for maybe Final Fantasy VII and Duke Nukem Forever. I frequently wonder if I would have liked it more if It hadn't been called Zelda.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad. I remember being blown away the first time I saw Lake Hylia, and I remember really liking certain temples in the middle and late parts of the game. Overall, though, it's just a poor, poor zelda game that gets way to much credit out of nostalgia and is rarely looked at in terms of how much it hurt the gaming industry.

So you're mad because you can't just rush in and mash attack to win?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ANIME IS NOT JERK GUYS!

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I share probably at most 25% of Jeff's taste in digital media and yet he's still my favorite personality on this site. You don't have to like everything that somebody else likes to appreciate the way they carry themselves.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Fuck Dave Mathews that pretentious, talentless piece of shit.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By meaninoflife42

From Jeff Gerstmann's Giant Bomb wiki page:

Things Jeff Hates

Jeff admits that he is a bit unreasonable, and nowhere is this more evident than in his beloved hate. Jeff Gerstmann's ever-growing list of "hates" includes the following, but is not limited to:

burnttoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually believe it is possible for anyone to love anything someone else loves or to hate anything someone else hates. We all have similar mechanisms for experience music, art, the world as humans. You can easily learn the language that makes modern art enjoyable to some (and it is a dense vocabulary there I am sure, as it matters all the pieces in history before to understand one). Or you can enjoy the catchiness of a justin bieber song, if you let yourself minimize the history/identity/musical context that has you opposed to it.

I think people should more often realize in criticism, in discussing any sort of artistic endeavor, that 1. it doesn't matter. It really doesn't mean much to feel some way about some art. And 2. in feeling that way or saying something about that art you aren't being clever or smart or seeing through to reality. Obviously, it is a opinion, it is a statement that might be true but true only to how that art reacts to one personal history and disposition.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Nekroskop

Jeff hates Resident Evil. Not just 6, but the whole series. I can respect that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mouse Rat is a better band than DMB.

KarmaPoliceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By KarmaPoliceman

seems pretty harsh on macklemore tbh

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By roninenix

Question to OP. Is this serious? Did you happen to idolize jeff or something? Because if not, I find it stupid and funny that someone else would get upset over what his opinions are. What his likes and dislikes are. Especially when it's something as diverse as music is. How exactly did he cross the line?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

i can't be bothered to google what a "macklemore" is.

@blu3v3nom07: ...well hell, now i know things better left unknown. Though, now Jeff's tweet makes no sense to me...

@jillsandwich: Jeff has weird hang ups. You learn where you can take him seriously and where ya can't.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, Jeff doesn't like Vinegar?!

MONSTER!

TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TMBaker

I really enjoy When The World End's by DMB on The Matrix Reloaded OST, then again that's the only song I really know of DMB. :P

Loading Video...

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By chrissedoff

@hailinel@jazgalaxy I didn't play Ocarina of Time when it was new, but having tried it ca. 2007 I can confidently say that I don't think it's anywhere near as good as its reputation. Not only because of the things jazgalaxy pointed out, though I think they're accurate criticisms of some of the ways in which Ocarina of Time is unlike previous Zelda games. The way that Ocarina of Time has so much more handholding, cutscenes and way too much dialog is what makes the game quite sucky, in my opinion, as well as how ugly the graphics are and how weird the controls are. We shouldn't be talking about this, because I don't think Gerstmann actually hates Ocarina of Time, but I think most people who try the game without letting themselves be infected by their own nostalgia or taking it as fact that the game is a timeless masterpiece because that's what everyone else says will agree it's not that good of a game. The previous Zelda games hold up better today and so do some similar games that were Zelda's contemporaries, such as Soul Reaver.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel@jazgalaxy I didn't play Ocarina of Time when it was new, but having tried it ca. 2007 I can confidently say that I don't think it's anywhere near as good as its reputation. Not only because of the things jazgalaxy pointed out, though I think they're accurate criticisms of some of the ways in which Ocarina of Time is unlike previous Zelda games. The way that Ocarina of Time has so much more handholding, cutscenes and way too much dialog is what makes the game quite sucky, in my opinion, as well as how ugly the graphics are and how weird the controls are. We shouldn't be talking about this, because I don't think Gerstmann actually hates Ocarina of Time, but I think most people who try the game without letting themselves be infected by their own nostalgia or taking it as fact that the game is a timeless masterpiece because that's what everyone else says will agree it's not that good of a game. The previous Zelda games hold up better today and so do some similar games that were Zelda's contemporaries, such as Soul Reaver.

Too much dialog? In a Zelda game?

Did I just log into the Bizarro internet?

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds about right to me. Can't stand either, even when I'm drunk.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Jeff eats like a child.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Jeff hates Red Dead? Alright, it's one of my favorite games of this gen, but whatever, to each his own. Jeff hates the movie Aliens? Alright, you're losing me, I gotta admit, but whatever...I can understand someone disliking that movie.

But...this? This is over the line. OVER THE FUCKING LINE.

(I'm basing this off the distant memory that Jeff once referred to DMB in a negative context, if I am wrong about that, please ostracize me)

Jeff is right. Get over it.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Loading Video...

@tycobb:

Why... does this exist? Also was he inspired by assassins creed 3 in the beginning?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@tmbaker said:

I really enjoy When The World End's by DMB on The Matrix Reloaded OST, then again that's the only song I really know of DMB. :P

Chances are greater that you're a Paul Oakenfold fan than you are a DMB fan. Like I said earlier, I personally really enjoy their first two albums.

DMB:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Macklemore looks like Ron Weasley.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@blu3v3nom07:

That music video looks both gorgeous and expensive as fuck. The music part didn't make much of an impact.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked that one early DMB album and haven't listened to anything since.

I have little interest in Macklemore, apart from finding Thrift Shop vaguely amusing outside of its music.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#96  Edited By ajamafalous

I love how completely obvious joke threads never fail to trick like 90% of the posters on these forums. It's too easy.

On topic: Macklemore is fucking awful. Just no redeeming qualities at all.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By fetchfox

I like Macklemore and love Red Dead Redemption. So what if he dislikes those things? He's an entertaining persona that I've followed since his Gamespot days. To each their own man, it's all good.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#98  Edited By Justin258

Dude said "fuck those games" when Brad brought up Metroid Prime. Jeff just has weird opinions.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By jkz

Eh, both DMB & Macklemore are pretty awful

<3

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points