Jim Sterling?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is not meant to be a rage thread or a hate thread or anything like that. But really guys why does everyone here hate Jim Sterling? I mean his jokes are not funny sure but I think that he does what he sets out to do semi competently. I am just curious as to why everyone seems to hate him in particular. I have not been here long, but it honestly seems like he did something on this site to piss people off a while back, though like I said I have no idea. Please enlighten me.

I am not being sarcastic either if you are wondering.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

To put it bluntly, he is a cunt. And I don't generally like using that word, but it's the best way to describe him. His online persona is just fucking abrasive and terrible. I agree with some of what he has to say but actually hearing it is painful.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: So it is more about his persona and presentation? I guess I always thought that he was just too the point no bullshit. Except for the shitty jokes and jumping the gun far too often.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By pr1mus

Because he tries to do both satire and serious articles and at time the line between the two blurs and he himself looses himself in that and everything collapses making it extremely difficult to take anything he does seriously because there's always that doubt about his intentions. He's extremely uneven.

Also poop jokes... don't do them.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By PixelPrinny

Long ago, I found his sarcastic humor to be really grating and 'attention-whorish'. But his sense of wit grew on me over time, I came to realize -why- he used sarcastic trolling as often as he did, and his stances on gaming and gaming culture are usually spot on. All-in-all, I've grown to really appreciate his opinions and articles (even if I still can't bring myself to appreciate Deadly Premonition in any capacity) and I enjoy his Jimquisition videos.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By august

Sometimes obnoxious, sometimes fantastic.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I got no problem with him.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258 said:

To put it bluntly, he is a cunt.

Wooooaaaah.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Kerned

I think he's a good and thoughtful writer, and an excellent critic of games and the gaming industry. I can understand why some people have a hard time seeing past his schtick, but I don't understand the amount of hate people have for him. He's one of the biggest advocates of consumer and player rights in all of gaming media. He's unafraid to be honest and call bullshit when he sees it.

I don't always agree with him, but I'm always interested to read and listen to his views on things. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

@PixelPrinny said:

Long ago, I found his sarcastic humor to be really grating and 'attention-whorish'. But his sense of wit grew on me over time, I came to realize -why- he used sarcastic trolling as often as he did, and his stances on gaming and gaming culture are usually spot on. All-in-all, I've grown to really appreciate his opinions and articles (even if I still can't bring myself to appreciate Deadly Premonition in any capacity) and I enjoy his Jimquisition videos.

This. Except I like Deadly Premonition a lot.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Andorski

Love the dude. Speaks his mind with his fat face in full view. Truly commendable behavior.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

Wooooaaaah.

DID I GO TOO FAR?

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#13  Edited By Lazyaza

@believer258 said:

To put it bluntly, he is a cunt. And I don't generally like using that word, but it's the best way to describe him. His online persona is just fucking abrasive and terrible. I agree with some of what he has to say but actually hearing it is painful.

An opinion I personally do not share at all. Once you are aware how much Jim enjoys playing up his "character" and that he is in fact a very genuinely smart, nice guy in reality its simply a matter whether or not someones enjoys his sense of wit and humor. Me personally I love it, especially his Jimquisition vids which both those and his reviews are always incredibly insightful and entertaining. In my opinion the people who have nothing but disdain for the man are the typical internet types who just for lack of better phrasing "don't get it", they treat every subject he may mention too seriously and every opinion he has too black and white in their mind when if you listen to Jim's podcast you would know that he just likes to make his points strong and heard but never is he the sort to say "if you disagree then fuck you" because that's not what he does yet people act as if it is.

TLDR: Jim is great, don't be a hater.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Justin258
@Lazyaza

@believer258 said:

An opinion I personally do not share at all. Once you are aware how much Jim enjoys playing up his "character" and that he is in fact a very genuinely smart, nice guy in reality its simply a matter whether or not someones enjoys his sense of wit and humor. Me personally I love it, especially his Jimquisition vids which both those and his reviews are always incredibly insightful and entertaining. In my opinion the people who have nothing but disdain for the man are the typical internet types who just for lack of better phrasing "don't get it", they treat every subject he may mention too seriously and every opinion he has too black and white in their mind when if you listen to Jim's podcast you would know that he just likes to make his points strong and heard but never is he the sort to say "if you disagree then fuck you" because that's not what he does yet people act as if it is.

TLDR: Jim is great, don't be a hater.

No, I just think he's a cunt. Note that I did say that I agree with him sometimes. I'm not a "hater" in the irrational sense, but I do grit my teeth whenever I see or hear him.
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Undeadpool

@PixelPrinny said:

This sounds about like my arc with him. Just hearing about his antics from the outside, I was not a fan, but when I actually investigated for myself, I actually found I really liked his videos.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Justin258
@YOU_DIED

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

Wooooaaaah.

DID I GO TOO FAR?

I DIDN'T GO FAR ENOUGH FOR JIM STERLING.
(Funny thing is, I like Yatzhee Croshaw despite the two having some similar qualities. But not really. I'd elaborate if I were on a PC, not a phone.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258:

I imagine I'd be the opposite, then, since I'm not much of a Yahtzee fan.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He acts like his opinion is law. I know that's his thing but it's just not that funny to me. I've laughed at him here and there but most of the time I just find him obnoxious.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By jeffrud

So I have a pet theory. Like a lot of people who may or may not admit to it, the Bombcast and Podtoid are the highlights of my work week. I think they're an interesting set of shows as they're wildly different in presentation values, content, and tone; yet both of them are appealing as they're very personality-driven programs on a topic I enjoy immensely. In a way, they're two sides of a pretty awesome coin. Even the order they are released every week ties into this for me: I get a hilarious, high production value juggernaut that only CBS money could produce which chews up the last week's issues, followed by a Skype-recorded chat session from across the country with three grown men having an (occasionally groan inducing, occasionally uncomfortable) laugh and presenting worthwhile opinions on the same events covered earlier by the Giant Bomb crew. There may be other gaming podcasts in the world (Gamespot Gameplay is getting better, for instance), but Bombcast and Podtoid are the only two I'll ever need, and Jim Sterling's divisive personality is a big part of that for me. 

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bishna

I used to not really respect him a couple years ago, but either he, or I, have really matured since then and now I really enjoy most of his stuff. Jimquisition is great, I like his reviews, the 'Blatently Better' series is hilarious most times, Podtoid is...Podtoid. Sometimes he gets too heated and goes too far, but that happens alot less than it used to I find.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Everyones_A_Critic

He acts like his opinion is law. I know that's his thing but it's just not that funny to me. I've laughed at him here and there but most of the time I just find him obnoxious.

Pretty much. Except I've never laughed at him.
fallen_rock2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fallen_rock2

He makes a lot of good points, I have read some of his print stuff and was impressed. However his video/audio stuff is terrible, he seems to greatly overestimate his ability to perform comedy. I'm guessing his print stuff has the benefit of going through and editor before it goes live, and the editor seems to do a good job at cleaning his work up. Basically what I'm saying is he has a voice, face and personality made for print media.

einar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By einar29

@BillyTheKid:I think he's often brilliant. He's on the consumers side all the way and is passionate in a way i find to be a breath of fresh air, getting most of my gaming news from the aloof and jaded dudes who run this site.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By serpentenema

As a former child of destructoid, I don't have a problem with him. I like his ability to draw in fanboy rage and seeing "biased" written in the comment section of anything he did. When he takes topics seriously he could write his ass off, but as of late I haven't really been following his dtoid stuff or podtoid. I was really big into podtoid when it was Anthony, Aaron and all of them still worked there and Electric Hydra which was pretty much podtoid 2. Its just that Jim Sterling without someone keeping him in check is not my thing. I'm good on not listening to Jim talk about william defoe's innards.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

He definitely takes warming up to. I personally have always liked him, but completely understand anyone who doesn't. I occasionally listen to the Podtoid, but he tends to carry things a little too far. Go listen to any recent episode and you'll see. I enjoy his work and respect him though. He actually quite a smart person.

anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By anarchyzombie9

He's better than the boring humdrum people that populate a fair amount of gams jarnlism. Love 'im

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mrfluke

@believer258 said:

this

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to hate him but I just gave him a second chance with one of his Jimquisition videos and he was pretty tame and eloquent throughout, making good points.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By ravensword

I find him pretty funny alot of times. no real hate from me.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Hunter5024

When it comes to Garme Jurnalizm, Jim Sterling is the only man for me. Really I think the hate stems from people being unable to separate the persona from the man, which is kind of his fault because he likes to produce satire, and is very sarcastic, so it makes it difficult to understand what you're supposed to take at face value.