Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@ArtisanBreads said:

I would have rather had Joss Whedon after seeing how well he handled The Avengers with great dialogue, group dynamics, action, humor... but I think it's a solid choice.

Disney has Whedon locked up with Avengers, he can still write SW, though.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By Snail

@Manhattan_Project said:

@Snail said:

@iceman228433 said:

WOW if he does half the Job he did with Star Trek we are going to be in for some good stuff, he is the man for the job for sure.

Wasn't that Star Trek film just basically a pretty good sci-fi summer movie? Why do people keep bringing up this movie? It's not what I want to see from Star Wars at all. Sure, it proves he knows how to make a summer flick with an old sci-fi franchise, but how does that imply he is the most indicated person to make a Star Wars movie?

Star Trek was a good movie. No qualifications. As was Super 8. Although thats more E.T. than Star Wars. They both had problems, but they were good.

He's a great choice for the job because he is one of few who knows how to make good sci-fi movies.

"Good" is subpar for Star Wars. I'm not saying the movies have to be what the original trilogy was, but I still want it to be more than just "good". I don't know man. I'm not into Lost. Fringe is... weirdly okay sometimes? I haven't seen either Super 8 or that Star Trek movie, but now I definitely will.

He probably feels a huge responsibility on him though. Also probably a tremendous unabashed joy, since he'll get to play with that toybox that's enchanted so many of us like none other has in the most canonical way possible for someone who is not George Lucas. Can you imagine that feeling? Let's see how this turns out.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Giantstalker

Weird. Just really weird.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm pumped. Could have swore he said a few weeks ago he wouldn't do it, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Branthog

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Branthog said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

@Branthog said:

Sorry, JJ lost me after his shitty ending to LOST.

After about three episodes of LOST, we were all "oh, we get it... they're all dead and in purgatory".

"NO NO NO NO! C'mon, we're smarter than that! You'll never guess what the truth of the island really is!"

Flash forward another six years: "And they were all dead and in purgatory..."

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

J.J. Abrams had nothing to do with Lost after the first season. Also, the limbo stuff only occurs after the climax of the story.

It only becomes clear that's the story after the climax, you mean. That doesn't change the fact that's where they were the entire time throughout the story. And JJ was the one who setup the story and denied the plot when we all called it from the beginning. He wasn't there throughout the rest of the story, but he sure as hell had a guiding hand in it.

Also feel the same way about the more recent Fringe finale, though that was quite an improvement over the LOST one.

Oh, though I should say that in the long run, I don't actually care, because I don't give a shit about Star Wars. I've seen the original three once a long time ago (in the 90s, when I was around 20) and they were pretty good, but nothing I'm going to build the rest of my life around, like most people seem to.

The limbo stuff all takes place after the events of the island. Everything that happened throughout the entire course of the show actually happened (in fiction of course), it was only after everyone died (during the events of the show for some, later for others, likely hundreds or thousands of years later for a certain two) that they went to the purgatory LA. It was poorly explained and many made the same assumption as you, but there are specific lines of dialogue at the end that make this clear.

Huh? Everyone died in the airplane crash. They find all the bodies, in the end. Their entire existence on the island and everything was in this sort of limbo, which they eventually moved on from in the final episode, after "discovering the secret of the island" and that whole crap between the black and white brothers. And the flash sideways were just to this sort of "what could have been, if they'd lived".

Assuming I'm remembering it accurately, which might not be the case since it was so long ago. Pretty much once it got to the "magic heart light thing and . . . religious/paranormal explanation to the last six years", I just checked out and never gave another fuck about the "science fiction" show. :/

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Snail said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

@Snail said:

@iceman228433 said:

WOW if he does half the Job he did with Star Trek we are going to be in for some good stuff, he is the man for the job for sure.

Wasn't that Star Trek film just basically a pretty good sci-fi summer movie? Why do people keep bringing up this movie? It's not what I want to see from Star Wars at all. Sure, it proves he knows how to make a summer flick with an old sci-fi franchise, but how does that imply he is the most indicated person to make a Star Wars movie?

Star Trek was a good movie. No qualifications. As was Super 8. Although thats more E.T. than Star Wars. They both had problems, but they were good.

He's a great choice for the job because he is one of few who knows how to make good sci-fi movies.

"Good" is subpar for Star Wars. I'm not saying the movies have to be what the original trilogy was, but I still want it to be more than just "good". I don't know man. I'm not into Lost. Fringe is... weirdly okay sometimes? I haven't seen either Super 8 or that Star Trek movie, but now I definitely will.

He probably feels a huge responsibility on him though. Also probably a tremendous unabashed joy, since he'll get to play with that toybox that's enchanted so many of us like none other has in the most canonical way possible for someone who is not George Lucas. Can you imagine that feeling? Let's see how this turns out.

Good would be enough for Star Wars, seeing as how there is only one film in the series that's universally recognized as 'great'.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Snail

@Dallas_Raines said:

Good would be enough for Star Wars, seeing as how there is only one film in the series that's universally recognized as 'great'.

Episode IV and Episode V are two acclaimed movies. Also, while many people have issues with the Eewoks in Episode VI, it's ridiculous to say it isn't a great movie. Even if it weren't accurate to say that it's recognized as being "universally great" it would because of vocal nitpicking fandom. I think that movie was recognized as being great at the time it was released, and still is.

Also, taking into consideration the cultural impact of Star Wars, your comment comes out as kind of crass.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#59  Edited By project343

I hate Star Trek passionately, and he turned that into something palatable. Colour me psyched.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Waffles13

@Snail said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Episode IV and Episode V are two acclaimed movies. Also, while many people have issues with the Eewoks in Episode VI, it's ridiculous to say it isn't a great movie. Even if it weren't accurate to say that it's recognized as being "universally great" it would because of vocal nitpicking fandom. I think that movie was recognized as being great at the time it was released, and still is.

Also, taking into consideration the cultural impact of Star Wars, your comment comes out as kind of crass.

I'm one of like four people that are of the mind that Episode VI is the best. Sure, Ewoks are dumb, but the final lightsaber duel is incredible and I played a shitload of Rogue Squadron, so the space battle is also amazing.

My biggest worry with the new films is that it will ruin my perfect view of the Star Wars films: They are ranked worst-to-best in order of Episode number, with Phantom being worst, Jedi being best, etc. I have no investment or real interest in the new films at this point, but I really don't want to cram VII in between III and IV.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Good for him I suppose. I bet he has a reverence for Star Wars and is elated to be making a new one. I also bet he knows the level of fandom Star Wars has, even to this day so he won't want to mess it up.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Snail said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Return of the Jedi has the greatest space battle ever put to film, and the duel ain't too shabby, either. I'm just not too fond of the dumb retcon and Han Solo's awful treatment.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By meaninoflife42

I liked Star Trek, I liked Super 8, I guess I'll probably like this as well.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By OfficeGamer

Why....is there going to be a new Star Wars movie?

Will it have Cartman as Luke's son like promised?

MustardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MustardDragon

.....when is the new site going live?!

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#66  Edited By wrecks
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I don't really have a hard on for JJ like some people do but I think he's a pretty great director so this seems alright by me. He probably should tone down the lens flare a bit though.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Waffles13 said:

@Snail said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

I'm one of like four people that are of the mind that Episode VI is the best. Sure, Ewoks are dumb, but the final lightsaber duel is incredible and I played a shitload of Rogue Squadron, so the space battle is also amazing.

My biggest worry with the new films is that it will ruin my perfect view of the Star Wars films: They are ranked worst-to-best in order of Episode number, with Phantom being worst, Jedi being best, etc. I have no investment or real interest in the new films at this point, but I really don't want to cram VII in between III and IV.

Do you think that guy who sat next to Lando in the space battle could be in episode 7?

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mrpandaman

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Waffles13 said:

eration the cultural impact of Star Wars, your comment comes out as kind of crass.

Do you think that guy who sat next to Lando in the space battle could be in episode 7?

Well his son will the main character, so yes he will make an appearance.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#70  Edited By granderojo

My first thought about Abrams taking over Star Wars is that Greg Grunberg id inevitable as the slightly overweight Jedi who who's had one too many Bantha Steaks. I mean that has to be inevitable right?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fubar said:

*Lens flare*

*Screen Flare*

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By penguindust

@Bumpton said:

@xobballox said:

Well, I liked the last Star Trek movie and I generally don't like Star Trek, so that makes me kind of optimistic.

Same here, duder. Can't wait to see what he makes of it.

I'm with you guys. I liked Star Trek, Super 8 and Mission Impossibles III & IV (producer on GP). With the writer of Little Miss Sunshine penning the script, I think the pair of them could make something fresh that will rejuvenate the much tarnished franchise.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By hatking

If this is actually true, I'm okay with it. I guess since my expectations are zero, having somebody who made a watchable Star Trek movie now is as good as anybody.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By stonyman65

Could it be any fucking worse than it already is now?

I'm down. Bring it on.

Fuck you George Lucas!

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75  Edited By KaneRobot

Can he cross the two franchises? I want Jar Jar Borg immediately.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#76  Edited By breadfan

I'm down for that. My nerd dream would be for Martin Scorsese make a Star Wars mafia movie.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By flasaltine

The best thing about JJ Abrams is that he doesn't use CGI too much for sets.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By dichemstys

Has anyone made a LOST IN SPACE joke yet?

If not, I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds cool to me I like just about everything JJ Abrams is attached to.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By dichemstys

Seriously though I'm hella excited. Lost is my favorite show ever and I loved the Star Trek movie.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By Brendan

Huh, I didn't know that nerds didn't like J.J. Abrams. I guess a lot of you are probably Trek fans and that didn't give much for the hardcore, so that makes sense. I thought Super 8 was nice.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Flacracker said:

The best thing about JJ Abrams is that he doesn't use CGI too much for sets.

I don't know what I hate more about George Lucas, his writing or his obsession with transplanting actors into Saturday morning cartoons.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By NTM

@Branthog: I don't think that was his doing. A lot of people blame him for what Damon Lindelof does for some reason.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By McGhee

YES

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#85  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Could be worse.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By TheHumanDove

JJ Abrams is actually pretty good. Not understanding the hate, especially with how shit star wars has been for the last decade or so.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SSully

@Branthog said:

After about three episodes of LOST, we were all "oh, we get it... they're all dead and in purgatory".

"NO NO NO NO! C'mon, we're smarter than that! You'll never guess what the truth of the island really is!"

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

They weren't all dead and in purgatory. That was only the last season. The rest they were well and alive.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MegaLombax

I'm sorry but I don't see what the fuss is about. I think he makes good movies. Personally, he succeeded in making me enjoy a Trek film... So what if he's a Trek director. I'm looking forward to this to be honest.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89  Edited By Branthog

@SSully said:

@Branthog said:

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

They weren't all dead and in purgatory. That was only the last season. The rest they were well and alive.

I don't recall that. I am absolutely certain (insofar as my recollection, years later) that the final season revealed to us that this whole "side-flashes" were not real and that everyone was actually dead, at the bottom of the sea, in the plane wreck, and had been going through limbo/purgatory via the island this entire time and they only came to acknowledge that is what had happened to them, in the end. In fact, I am pretty sure there were some flash backs at the very end of the final episode, to the bodies in the plane wreckage, to drive home the point that "and they were all dead the whole time!".

Then again, I totally forget the plot of games I play, like a week later. Enough of the show was enjoyable (up to a point) that it might be time to start through the entire thing all over again on netflix. :)

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90  Edited By BigBoss1911

I don't see any problems with this, I thought Star Trek was a great movie, and I never was never a fan of the series to begin with. It could be worse, at least someone like Micheal Bay won't have their hands on it.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Rattle618

Dude did a good job making lame-ass Star Trek bearable and he could not possibly do a worst job than Lucas would have, so this could be ok.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#92  Edited By BaneFireLord

As someone who didn't care about Star Trek until Abram's reboot and as someone who hasn't cared about Star Wars in a very long time, color me excited. Nothing but good can come of this.

Shrimpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Shrimpy

Pretty disappointing, to be honest. Would much rather have seen it go to someone surprising or interesting. The Star Trek reboot was good but I wasn't blown away like some seemed to be.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SSully

@Branthog said:

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#95  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, that Star Trek movie was easily the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi, so I'm not complaining. The only downside to this is that it's going to be a while before we get another Star Trek movie.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SSully

@Branthog said:

@SSully said:

@Branthog said:

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

I don't recall that. I am absolutely certain (insofar as my recollection, years later) that the final season revealed to us that this whole "side-flashes" were not real and that everyone was actually dead, at the bottom of the sea, in the plane wreck, and had been going through limbo/purgatory via the island this entire time and they only came to acknowledge that is what had happened to them, in the end. In fact, I am pretty sure there were some flash backs at the very end of the final episode, to the bodies in the plane wreckage, to drive home the point that "and they were all dead the whole time!".

Then again, I totally forget the plot of games I play, like a week later. Enough of the show was enjoyable (up to a point) that it might be time to start through the entire thing all over again on netflix. :)

You may very well be right, I haven't watched it since it ended and that was the interpretation I remember. Honestly I dont even want to look up what really happened, because if they were actually dead the whole time then that's fucking stupid.

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle
@SSully They weren't dead the whole time.

In the last episode in the church, Jacks talking to his dad and asks something along the lines of, 'So we were dead the whole time?'. His dad then tells him this wasn't the case.

Again, same as you two, I haven't seen it in a while.

From what I can remember, the side flashes occur in a place/dimension outside of time (purgatory). So no matter what time they die in the series, they appear in the aeroplane at the same time as if nothing had happened.

The people that escaped the island might have lived for years and years after Jack died at the end, but they all still appear in the side flashes at the same time.

At least that's how I understood it. :s
Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Why are you guys talking about Lost as if it's relevant to anything? You know that that J.J. Abrams had absolutely nothing to do with that show beyond the pilot episode, right?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#99  Edited By crusader8463

God dam. I hope he doesn't ruin star wars like he did star trek. God that movie was revolting. Will wait to see something from the movie before condemning it, but this is not good news to me.

Jumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Jumper

I like the idea.

I mean the worst thing they could have done is have George Lucas be the director.