• 170 results
#101 Posted by Fredchuckdave (4482 posts) -

Abrams is alright for movies, terrible for TV shows except for an extended buildup period.

#102 Posted by SavageOtakuFury (3 posts) -

I can't wait for Star Wars Episode 7: Lens Flare Strikes Back.

#103 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4497 posts) -

DC is just trying to steal all the good writers over at Marvel again

Wait

#104 Posted by Jumper (47 posts) -
#105 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1857 posts) -

Why is Star Wars in quotes? Is he directing a fake Star Wars movie?

#106 Posted by Prestige (74 posts) -
@SSully said:

@Branthog said:

@SSully said:

@Branthog said:

Sorry, JJ lost me after his shitty ending to LOST.

After about three episodes of LOST, we were all "oh, we get it... they're all dead and in purgatory".

"NO NO NO NO! C'mon, we're smarter than that! You'll never guess what the truth of the island really is!"

Flash forward another six years: "And they were all dead and in purgatory..."

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

They weren't all dead and in purgatory. That was only the last season. The rest they were well and alive.

I don't recall that. I am absolutely certain (insofar as my recollection, years later) that the final season revealed to us that this whole "side-flashes" were not real and that everyone was actually dead, at the bottom of the sea, in the plane wreck, and had been going through limbo/purgatory via the island this entire time and they only came to acknowledge that is what had happened to them, in the end. In fact, I am pretty sure there were some flash backs at the very end of the final episode, to the bodies in the plane wreckage, to drive home the point that "and they were all dead the whole time!".

Then again, I totally forget the plot of games I play, like a week later. Enough of the show was enjoyable (up to a point) that it might be time to start through the entire thing all over again on netflix. :)

You may very well be right, I haven't watched it since it ended and that was the interpretation I remember. Honestly I dont even want to look up what really happened, because if they were actually dead the whole time then that's fucking stupid.

Only the flashsideways scenes in the last season were purgatory. Everything else was real. A plane at the bottom of the ocean was shown in season 4, but that was staged by Widmore to make everyone believe the 815 passengers were dead. Also, during the credits at the end of the last episode, ABC decided to show pictures of the plane wreckage on the beach from season 1. This was not part of the actual episode; it was a decision made by the network (not the show's producers) for some reason. They probably thought it was a classy move to show that instead of a promo for Jimmy Kimmel, but their choice of footage only served to confuse the audience more than they already were. 

And yeah, I was a Lost fan -- except that they really blew it with the flashsideways/purgatory thing in the last season.
#107 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I think this is good news and I look forward to seeing what he puts out and hopefully it isn't terrible. Star Wars could use a movie that isn't terrible, these days.

#108 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

If I cared about Star Wars at all, I'd be pretty miffed.

#109 Posted by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

i'm kinda over star wars at this point, so the choice of director is mostly irrelevant to me. i just hope it's a fundamentally good story. otherwise i'll just skip it.

#110 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Just a rumor guys, the director of X Men First Class has the job.

#111 Posted by Senno (74 posts) -

I have to say Im a little surprised. I just hope it goes well - he did some fine jobs in producing, and I thought thats the extent of where it would go. I was hoping to see Jon Favreau taking the helm.

#112 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

In more important news Tim Burton made a failed Superman movie in the 90's staring Nicolas Cage with a script from Kevin Smith. The Metalocalypse creator is making a documentary about it using the footage from the film,

#113 Posted by Akyho (1549 posts) -

A friend said this to me and I went "hmmm ahhh...I dont know. He does a sort of a good film, jus... I just dont feel he captures the essence of the original source. Hate his tv shows."

I then came here was about to say that exact opinion then it all flashed into my head Eps1 2 and 3 by George Lucas. Now my opinion is this.

SURE! HE CANT FUCK IT UP MORE THAN IT ALREADY IS!! HE WILL BE AWESOME!

#114 Posted by Jay_Ray (1009 posts) -

Now I demand a Star Trek x Star Wars.

#115 Posted by benpicko (1923 posts) -

Still annoyed about this

#116 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Man, I don't get how anyone could be disappointed by this. J.J. Abrams may not be your favorite director on earth, but at least it's not fucking Lucas! Next to a Michael Bay entry, I couldn't imagine anything worse than Lucas squeezing out another turd. The game passed him up a while back. At least Abrams is relevant and competent. At least the new Star Wars movie probably won't suck balls! That's progress

#117 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3031 posts) -

Like him or not, JJ executes his vision well.

#118 Posted by Philanthropy (140 posts) -

LITESABEWS WIT SUNFLARE!!!!!!

#119 Edited by Rowr (5238 posts) -

I don't know how i feel about the same guy directing star trek and star wars.

Is directing really that hard? It seems like there's a huge shortage of talent now days.

#120 Posted by RioStarwind (370 posts) -

Eh I thought the Star Trek film was okay so at least this should be a solid movie.

#121 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (455 posts) -

Star Wars was all a dream

#122 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Star Trek and the Avengers were fantastic. I trust JJ Abrams to treat any geeky franchise with respect and admiration.

@Branthog said:

After about three episodes of LOST, we were all "oh, we get it... they're all dead and in purgatory".

"NO NO NO NO! C'mon, we're smarter than that! You'll never guess what the truth of the island really is!"

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

But they weren't in purgatory. Everything you saw in the church happened years after they got off the island. How can you criticize the ending when you didn't even understand it?!

Also JJ Abrams had nothing to do with the later seasons.

#123 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

Abrams is alright for movies, terrible for TV shows except for an extended buildup period.

I don't understand how people can hate Firefly and Buffy. I literally can not wrap my mind around someone having an opinion so objectionably wrong.

#124 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Meowshi said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

I don't understand how people can hate Firefly and Buffy. I literally can not wrap my mind around someone having an opinion so objectionably wrong.

Are you saying that JJ Abrams and Josh Whedon are the same person?! 
#125 Posted by DukesT3 (1853 posts) -

Someone, somewhere is VERY conflicted on this news.

#126 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2028 posts) -

@Rowr said:

I don't know how i feel about the same guy directing star trek and star wars.

Is directing really that hard? It seems like there's a huge shortage of talent now days.

You've answered your own question. JJ Abrams is still directing. Talent is plenty hard to come across.

#127 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Don't really care...?

#128 Edited by Sarnecki (683 posts) -

"Is directing really that hard? It seems like there's a huge shortage of talent now days"

It's unbelievably, impossibly, incredibly hard.

#129 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Meowshi said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Yes.

#130 Posted by horseman6 (313 posts) -

Sigh, this isn't good news. I'm sure this movie will be loved my the masses but JJ Abrams has yet to direct anything of quality. He makes bright and shiny films for dumb people.

Then again, George Lucas ruined the star wars franchise about 20 years ago now so I doubt JJ Abrams can crap it up any more than it already is. Still, Ben Affleck would have been a far better choice.

#131 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

Spock shot first?

#132 Posted by Huey2k2 (475 posts) -

He can't do as poor a job as Lucas did with Episodes 1-3.

#133 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Meowshi said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Meowshi said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Yes.

That explains a lot
#134 Posted by Mezmero (1645 posts) -

I've been wondering what it would be like if Abrams directed a fantasy movie instead of a sci-fi movie.

#135 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

@Branthog said:

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

Pretty sure the writers were to blame for that trainwreck. Abrams abandoned Lost pretty early on, as far as I remember.

#136 Posted by The_Ruiner (925 posts) -

fuuuuuck yeah

#137 Posted by nerdsbeware (223 posts) -

@horseman6 said:

Sigh, this isn't good news. I'm sure this movie will be loved my the masses but JJ Abrams has yet to direct anything of quality. He makes bright and shiny films for dumb people.

Then again, George Lucas ruined the star wars franchise about 20 years ago now so I doubt JJ Abrams can crap it up any more than it already is. Still, Ben Affleck would have been a far better choice.

I wouldn't say his movies are for "dumb" people but yea, everyone is up on his dick because of Lost. Sure Alias and some other stuff came before and after that, but really it seems like Lost put him on the map. I didn't like the new Star Trek, but went to see it with a former co-worker who was a HUGE Lost fanatic and knew zilch about Star Trek, and her heard nearly exploded after the movie with excitement. He made a decent sci-fi action movie, not a decent Star Trek movie IMO.

#138 Posted by CaptMagic123 (25 posts) -

I think it's kind of cool that he will be directing the film.

Now they just need to get him to direct a season or two of Dr. Who, and he will be loved by pretty much every nerd in the world.

#139 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

Ugh. I don't like Abrams, I think he's going to take this in a decidedly Star Trek direction, and it's basically gonna turn out to be just like the Prequels.

#140 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

Well I liked the Star Trek reboot he directed so perhaps what the Star Wars movie needs is a fresh perspective like J.J. Abrams.

#141 Posted by KarlPilkington (2655 posts) -

@Meowshi said:

@Branthog said:

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

But they weren't in purgatory. Everything you saw in the church happened years after they got off the island. How can you criticize the ending when you didn't even understand it?!

No it wasn't. You are both wrong.

#142 Posted by TooWalrus (12976 posts) -

That first season of LOST is fucking quality. I haven't seen the new Star Trek yet, but I'm watching it tonight. I'll report back with my opinion later.

#143 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@KarlPilkington said:

@Meowshi said:

@Branthog said:

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

No I'm not. That's what happened. Period.

#144 Posted by KarlPilkington (2655 posts) -

@Meowshi said:

@KarlPilkington said:

@Meowshi said:

@Branthog said:

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

Yeah, all those people that had died just sprang up and went to church.

#145 Posted by Juxter (3 posts) -

joss whedon should have got it. I dont like the idea of JJ having a monopoly on the big science fiction franchises

#146 Posted by TooWalrus (12976 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

That first season of LOST is fucking quality. I haven't seen the new Star Trek yet, but I'm watching it tonight. I'll report back with my opinion later.

OK dudes, 2009's Star Trek was pretty damn great. I knew it was a reboot, but I didn't realize it was at all tied in to the rest of the Star Trek universe. 'course, I'm not exactly a series fan, and I'm a sucker for time travel stories, but I'm looking forward to Episode VII even more now.

#147 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

The Star Trek versus Star Wars rivalry is stupid anyway so great that they now have more in common.

#148 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@KarlPilkington said:

@Meowshi said:

@KarlPilkington said:

@Meowshi said:

@Branthog said:

Fuck you, JJ Abrams.

Yeah, all those people that had died just sprang up and went to church.

Yes, that is what happened. You know, you can just read the wiki or listen to interviews if you still don't understand the ending years after the show has been off the air.

#149 Edited by Seppli (9742 posts) -

I wanted Brad Bird to do it. The Incredibles is an incredibly good movie, and damn was that latest Mission Impossible flick a great surprise. Didn't like that franchise or Tom Cruise in a long while, but it was just too much fun, and I set all my prejudices aside and had a lot of fun with it. He'd have been perfect for Star Wars.

Oh well, more Star Wars event movies is never a bad thing. Let's have fun with what we'll get.

#150 Edited by Hunter5024 (5174 posts) -

I feel like having the same director in charge of both the biggest american sci-fi franchises is kind of lame. I love the new Star Trek movie, and I think he will do a great job on the new Star Wars, but I'd rather see him continue to make Star Trek and have another director with a very different vision do Star Wars, so that the movies could be more distinct from one another.