• 105 results
#1 Edited by C0V3RT (1360 posts) -
#2 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

lung cancer

#3 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Lung Cancer not Liver Cancer.

#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

College football lost him when he decided to abuse children.

#5 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver: We posted at the same time. We are forever linked.
#6 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

In most of the sources I've read, it was from complications of lung cancer as well as a broken pelvis. I went to the University of Michigan, so Penn State was one of our in-conference rivals. He wasn't much more than a face for the team at that point, but still -- a career that long and successful is pretty incredible. It's a shame his legacy is tarnished by the whole Sandusky scandal...

#7 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Sooty said:

He didn't do anything to children. Don't be silly.
#8 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

So an old man who abused children died of oldness. Cool story, bro.

#9 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Claude said:

@BestUsernameEver: We posted at the same time. We are forever linked.

weeeee

#10 Edited by SpaceRunaway (845 posts) -
#11 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

A lot of people thought he was in on it though which is enough to kill your legacy.

#12 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@CaptainCody said:

He did not abuse children. For fucks sake, dumb ass fucking people.

#13 Posted by GreggD (4478 posts) -

@Claude said:

@CaptainCody said:

Then what did he do?

#14 Edited by Trace (3549 posts) -

I took the liberty of editing the first post to state that it was lung, not liver cancer, and I link-ified the URL. A few sources close to the family are denying his death at the moment, but it sounds like if he hasn't passed away yet, Paterno is on his last legs.

Probably one of the sadder fall from graces, this one.

#15 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1670 posts) -
@SpaceRunaway said:
Is that blog the only source confirming his death?
https://twitter.com/#!/markcviera/status/160904588176793601
  Seems like there's some confusion at the moment.
Yeah, I'm not sure now. The CBS report was the only one who had reported it, now they updated the story to say his family is refuting the claim.
#16 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Claude: yeah it was that other coach, but joe was still kind of in the wrong for not saying anything. In the end though, he was never a child toucher.

#17 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Sooty said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

A lot of people thought he was in on it though which is enough to kill your legacy.

In no way shape or form was he in on it. At most, Penn State fucked up as an institution with how they handled it. That's it.
#18 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

R.I.P.

#19 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@GreggD said:

@Claude said:

@CaptainCody said:

Then what did he do?

He was seen as not doing enough. That's probably why he was fired along with the president of Penn State. He told his story and what he knew to a grand jury before all this became national.
#20 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

In no way shape or form was he in on it. At most, Penn State fucked up as an institution with how they handled it. That's it.

He was in on it, but only in the sense that he turned a blind eye to it. Assistant coaches told him about the goings-ons, and he did nothing.

#21 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@cstrang said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

He was in on it, but only in the sense that he turned a blind eye to it. Assistant coaches told him about the goings-ons, and he did nothing.

very true

#22 Posted by Dalai (6998 posts) -

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

As always, Claude is the voice of reason.

But it seems that the story of his death is premature.

#23 Posted by GreggD (4478 posts) -

@Claude said:

@GreggD said:

@Claude said:

@CaptainCody said:

Then what did he do?

He was seen as not doing enough. That's probably why he was fired along with the president of Penn State. He told his story and what he knew to a grand jury before all this became national.

Well, fuck.

#24 Posted by laserbolts (5313 posts) -

@cstrang said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

Well if that's true then he sounds like a piece of shit and i hope he rots for all I care.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

This has been refuted.

#26 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Dalai: I give up Dalai. Plus, the death part does seem premature. I wish him well.
#27 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

It seems CBS, People, and a few smaller outlets are reporting he's dead. Everyone else is saying he is "only" in serious condition... and trying to say he isn't dead.

#28 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@Claude said:
@CaptainCody said:

Claude is laying down the law
#29 Posted by C0V3RT (1360 posts) -

Oops - thanks for editing it for me mods. I've typed liver cancer too many times over the years... :(

Anyway, say what you will about the guy and the way he was dismissed and weather it was fair or not, the guy was one of the best coaches at the collegiate level of all time. Even after his dismissal, he still made a huge donation to the very university that fired him weeks earlier.

Apparently there's conflicting info out there and the source that was reporting him to have passed on has retracted their statement, however it doesn't sound good.

#30 Edited by Juvenfly (125 posts) -

Sandusky...just throwing that name out there. If you're going to talk shit about the Penn State sex abuse scandal, you might as well have the name of the guy actually accused of child sexual abuse in the thread somewhere.

Also, he's totally not dead yet, but he is in serious condition.

#31 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@Claude said:
@CaptainCody said:

He was fucking involved dude, he did abuse those kids by not trying harder to get Sandusky fired, he did abuse those kids. He was an amazing coach, but make no mistake he had a chance to stop it and he didn't, yeah I know he made a tiny inquiry in it, but he didn't pursue it, and he failed as a human being. Don't try and defend a man just because you think he should be cut some slack for being famous. I love him for his profession, but he failed to act and that ruins him as an individual for me. Penn State's Board did the right thing, what is fucked up is their students; the way they went all up in arms in defense knowing that they were alienating the victims and perpetuating the fallacy that it truly was the victims fault, and only causing more pain and sorrow for those already suffering.

#32 Edited by Turambar (6677 posts) -
@laserbolts said:

@cstrang said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

Well if that's true then he sounds like a piece of shit and i hope he rots for all I care.

Again, not true either.  Assistant coach told him what's going on.  He went and told the head of the athletics department, who, along with the head of Penn State, then interviewed the assistant coach, a grad student, and proceeded to do nothing.  (Those two were actually arrested.)  The main source of anger at Paterno is that he did not go directly to the authorities regarding the incident, and instead reported it to his bosses inside the school. 
#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

@baconbits33 said:

@Claude said:
@CaptainCody said:

He was fucking involved dude, he did abuse those kids by not trying harder to get Sandusky fired, he did abuse those kids. He was an amazing coach, but make no mistake he had a chance to stop it and he didn't, yeah I know he made a tiny inquiry in it, but he didn't pursue it, and he failed as a human being. Don't try and defend a man just because you think he should be cut some slack for being famous. I love him for his profession, but he failed to act and that ruins him as an individual for me. Penn State's Board did the right thing, what is fucked up is their students; the way they went all up in arms in defense knowing that they were alienating the victims and perpetuating the fallacy that it truly was the victims fault, and only causing more pain and sorrow for those already suffering.

Abuse implies direct involvement. He indirectly hurt the kids by thinking of his job and his university before human decency. But he didn't abuse the kids. Knowing that a crime is happening isn't the same as committing the crime yourself.

#34 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Sandusky was the weirdo who did the touching. Let's just get that much straight.

No matter! Giant Bomb legal panel en route to this thread! Lively debate soon to follow!

#35 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -
@baconbits33 said:

@Claude said:
@CaptainCody said:

That line of logic doesn't make any sense at all.  We can sit around all day and say that he did not do enough and thus failed his moral obligations of protecting the players under his charge, but when someone writes "Joe Paterno sexually abused and raped kids", that is actually factually incorrect and does not actually convey what happened in any accurate sense.
#36 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@baconbits33 said:

@Claude said:
@CaptainCody said:

Abuse implies direct involvement. He indirectly hurt the kids by thinking of his job and his university before human decency. But he didn't abuse the kids. Knowing that a crime is happening isn't the same as committing the crime yourself.

Tell that to the victims.

I'm not following the law here, I'm saying he did indirectly abuse those kids, he may not of laid a hand on them, but he could of helped end the suffering.

#37 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@baconbits33: I've been told things and seen things that I didn't act on. Sometimes you make decisions and you have to live with them.
#38 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

@Claude said:

@baconbits33: I've been told things and seen things that I didn't act on. Sometimes you make decisions and you have to live with them.

So have I, but I as a human being try to do the right thing and accept my consequences, which he did and he earned a bit of respect from me for that. However I must say that it is inexcusable what he did, he fucked up, and he paid for his crime.

Doesn't mean I want him to rot, I'm sad that he has cancer, and he's nearing the end of his life, I do hope he isn't remembered for this scandal, it wouldn't be fit for him.

#39 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -
@baconbits33 said:

I'm not following the law here, I'm saying he did indirectly abuse those kids, he may not of laid a hand on them, but he could of helped end the suffering.

Now there's an unanswerable question since you bring it up: who do the victims blame in this incident and how do they associate guilt.  I know perfectly well why none of them would want to speak up on this subject, but whenever the victim's feelings are invoked by third parties like right now, what they actually are always interests me.
#40 Posted by C0V3RT (1360 posts) -

Anyone else hear the interview he did with the Washington Post (I think it was them anyway)? He sounded super weak and was reportedly super frail. I don't wish cancer on anyone and it would have been great to have had him live through the inevitable legal proceedings so he could tell his side of the story.

#41 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

@baconbits33 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@baconbits33 said:

@Claude said:
@CaptainCody said:

There's no way in knowing that if he had done anything at all that the abuse would have stopped. This is because he wasn't responsible for the abuser's behaviors. Yes, Paterno did not do what he should have done. BUT, that does not make him culpable for anything besides his own behaviors. But the point of this thread is not to discus the abuse at Penn State. There are other threads out there for that. So I think we should all discuss what was brought up in the OP.

#42 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@baconbits33 said:

@Claude said:

So have I, but I as a human being try to do the right thing and accept my consequences, which he did and he earned a bit of respect from me for that. However I must say that it is inexcusable what he did, he fucked up, and he paid for his crime.

Doesn't mean I want him to rot, I'm sad that he has cancer, and he's nearing the end of his life, I do hope he isn't remembered for this scandal, it wouldn't be fit for him.

A very respectful way to put it. Thanks. In truth, tragedies such as this can be used to educate. We're all victims when it comes to abuse.
#43 Posted by eugenesaxe (199 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Absolute and total ignorance. Find one person who says he touched anyone, we'll wait while you wallow in your own stupidity.

#44 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

He's not officially dead yet. He's in serious condition, but he is still alive. I propose that we temporarily lock this thread.

#45 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -
@baconbits33

@Claude said:

He didnt commit a crime
#46 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@eugenesaxe said:

@Sooty said:

Absolute and total ignorance. Find one person who says he touched anyone, we'll wait while you wallow in your own stupidity.

Uhm, during the scandal there was plenty of controversy about his involvement and whether he knew about what was happening in some form. Having your name involved in some way, in something like that is going to be extremely image damaging.

#47 Edited by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@baconbits33

@Claude said:

He didnt commit a crime

You're right, he didn't. However, if you have knowledge of another breaking the law and don't do anything about it, people become frustrated and rightly so. You aren't committing a crime, but you know what was going on and could have helped stop it. Paterno isn't a criminal, but he could have stopped one.

#48 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

@Turambar: @JasonR86: @Claude:

You know I'm not gonna argue it any further with you, about a year and a half ago I was in almost this exact same type of situation, I couldn't even go to the cops. I made my choices and suffered my consequences, a few of which almost got me hurt. But I know what I did and I don't regret it, and as a human being I am going from my own past experiences and I'm saying that I personally believe Paterno failed them by not doing enough.

Essentially yes you are right, he did not physically himself cause any abuse to those victims. And if the majority of people do not see any true error in his ways, then I guess we have an answer. But I personally, having been in similar situations (yes, plural) as his, say he didn't try hard enough. I personally thought he was an amazing man before this incident, and I'm glad to see that most media outlets aren't calling him out for this scandal in his final days. He doesn't deserve to be buttered by anyone for his involvement in it. And I do hope he goes out peacefully and not painfully.

#49 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

*opens forum*

*sees people think Joe Pa raped kids*

*closes forum*

#50 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4886 posts) -
@Sooty said:

@Claude said:

@Sooty said:

No, nobody thought that.