Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Johnny5

Chinese Chicken Balls

G'day guys, Johnny5 here (were you expecting that!?) with another spontaneous "hey lets take pictures in the kitchen" series! This recipe is courtesy of Canadian chef Michael Smith and is fairly simple although kind of messy.

What Are They?

Puree'd chicken with green onion, soy sauce and sesame oil shaped into quenells, deep fried and served with dipping sauce.

Tasting!

Funny how despite its lack of coating it was still crispy and flaky which I LOVE. They were pretty decent with a bit of sea salt and sweet chilli sauce. Although the taste of ginger was a bit odd.

A quick side story about that. Often cooking is necessity or spur of the moment and most of the time I dont have all the ingrediants, for example this dish. I had no ginger so I used pickled sushi ginger, it worked just fine although I should of used less...

How I Would Improve It

Due to the lack of flavour in the chicken by itself some honey would be wickeeedd in these I think. Possibly a type of spice to go ontop instead of salt too. I'd also make thing thinner and not into quenells.

The Original Recipe HERE

P.s I apologise if this post lacks random silly pictures of me in the grip of death but if I'm really busy...cooking sometimes I dont have time :P
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Johnny5

Chinese Chicken Balls

G'day guys, Johnny5 here (were you expecting that!?) with another spontaneous "hey lets take pictures in the kitchen" series! This recipe is courtesy of Canadian chef Michael Smith and is fairly simple although kind of messy.

What Are They?

Puree'd chicken with green onion, soy sauce and sesame oil shaped into quenells, deep fried and served with dipping sauce.

Tasting!

Funny how despite its lack of coating it was still crispy and flaky which I LOVE. They were pretty decent with a bit of sea salt and sweet chilli sauce. Although the taste of ginger was a bit odd.

A quick side story about that. Often cooking is necessity or spur of the moment and most of the time I dont have all the ingrediants, for example this dish. I had no ginger so I used pickled sushi ginger, it worked just fine although I should of used less...

How I Would Improve It

Due to the lack of flavour in the chicken by itself some honey would be wickeeedd in these I think. Possibly a type of spice to go ontop instead of salt too. I'd also make thing thinner and not into quenells.

The Original Recipe HERE

P.s I apologise if this post lacks random silly pictures of me in the grip of death but if I'm really busy...cooking sometimes I dont have time :P
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By erinfizz

I make a chicken dish with very similar ingredients, and YES I would say honey or brown sugar. If I was doing this, I would also surely add minced garlic and probably a bit of  cayenne.

I am off to the store soon for dinner ingredients...I can't very well brine a pork tenderloin without salt and sugar. duh.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RetroIce4

Mmmm... Chicken balls!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By brukaoru

It's okay Johnny, but next time, near-death pictures needed, capeesh?! >:P

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Johnny5

I'm possibly remaking them tonight in a bigger batch and maybe i'll have time to take better pictures.

Heres someone elses attempt at the same recipe so you can see a higher quality shot.

traditionally they look like this though, which I might try to aim for next time.