• 87 results
#1 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3027 posts) -

Hi guys, I know we have a good group of people on the forums who follow Doctor Who regularly so really want to start some form of discussions on what your thoughts are on the newly announced Doctor. Earlier today it was announced that Peter Capaldi will take on the iconic role as the 12th Doctor in the BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who. This is a big change for the series since its revival in 2005. Since the revival most of the actors who have portrayed the Doctor have been relatively quite young. Even though they were quite young and had to fill in some very big shoes, they all portrayed the roles magnificently with a little bit of charm and a presence that represented the character quite well. I for one am pleased that they went this route and hopefully will invite some more classic Doctor from the older serials. I'm hoping for a persona more in line with the first Doctor, a pompous know it all Time Lord with a little bit of humility mixed in. I have to admit haven't seen much of Peter Capaldi's work and am looking through youtube right now to get a sense of what he can bring to the role. Wonder what your guys take from this news today and what it could possibly mean to the future of the show both on the production and story side?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23570354

BBC Interview with Peter Capaldi (starts around at 5 minutes) - here

#2 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -

Really looking forward to this. Capaldi is a brilliant actor and will (thankfully) be quite different to Matt Smith, who I felt tried to ape David Tennant too much.

Now we just need to get rid of Steven Moffet as lead writer, so he'll stop butchering everyone's scripts.

#3 Posted by Beyond_the_infinite (101 posts) -

Really looking forward to this. Capaldi is a brilliant actor and will (thankfully) be quite different to Matt Smith, who I felt tried to ape David Tennant too much.

Now we just need to get rid of Steven Moffet as lead writer, so he'll stop butchering everyone's scripts.

All of this!

#4 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

Between Tintin and the little bit of Sherlock I watched, I get the feeling he's the UK equivalent of Kirkman and Orci.

#5 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3027 posts) -

Wonder what this could possibly mean for the Clara and Doctor's relationship in the series. They seemed like they were getting closer throughout season 7. I can imagine with the recent casting them keeping the characters simply platonic with their relationship like in the past but also its Moffet so I have to question if they ever do it.

#6 Posted by Disaya (283 posts) -

I think I'm gonna go watch The Thick of It now. Can't say I've seen much with him but I like this choice.

#7 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3027 posts) -

@disaya said:

I think I'm gonna go watch The Thick of It now. Can't say I've seen much with him but I like this choice.

Been watching some of his clips from that show. Dudes pretty funny, I think he'll do great.

#8 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

Well I'm no fan of Doctor Who but Peter Capaldi is terrific.

#9 Edited by Capum15 (4813 posts) -

I always hate seeing the current doctor go, but they've been good with the next ones so I'm interested.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (913 posts) -

another Scottish Doctor is an excellent choice

#11 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

I care not for Doctor Who, but Capaldi is a great actor

#12 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Been wanting to see an older Doctor for a long time, so this news is pretty fucking cool.

#13 Posted by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

I thought for sure it would be Zac Efron...

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/Doctor%20Zac.jpg

#14 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -
#15 Posted by Blackout62 (1329 posts) -

...I have no idea who that is.

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

MOAR LIKE DR WHO CARES AMIRITE GUYZ? *feels insanely clever until he realizes everyone has already made that joke*

#17 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3027 posts) -

@blackout62 said:

...I have no idea who that is.

Yeah when I heard the news was like who? Guess he's well known for his role as Malcolm Tucker in the BBC series "The Thick of it".

For anyone who wants to watch that show they actually have the entire series for Hulu Plus users.

#18 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5237 posts) -

I thought smith was okay from the little I've seen, but I really fell off after Tenant left. I might give the new doctor a chance. Also, I'm glad they're going with an older actor. I'm not very familiar with Capaldi, but he seems like a good fit.

#19 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -

MOAR LIKE DR WHO CARES AMIRITE GUYZ? *feels insanely clever until he realizes everyone has already made that joke*

Doctor Who's-Gonna-Kick-Your-Shit

#20 Edited by Petiew (1331 posts) -

Maybe I'll actually watch Doctor Who now, as long as they get rid of everyone that wrote the last 5 or so years of it.

#21 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Unless BBC are going to start airing Doctor Who after the watershed I worry this will be a waste of Capaldi's talent.

#22 Edited by EveretteScott (1449 posts) -

@mandude said:

Been wanting to see an older Doctor for a long time, so this news is pretty fucking cool.

I thought smith was okay from the little I've seen, but I really fell off after Tenant left. I might give the new doctor a chance. Also, I'm glad they're going with an older actor. I'm not very familiar with Capaldi, but he seems like a good fit.

I as well am super psyched they're going for someone older. It's felt like forever since there's been an older one.

#23 Posted by BaneFireLord (2911 posts) -

Just the fact that Smith is leaving made me happy. The fact that Capaldi's replacing him is icing on the cake, even if the likelihood of him bringing the Malcolm Tucker mannerisms to the role is probably around zero. "No, exterminate yourself, you fucking claptrap pile of shit-smeared rust."

#24 Posted by The_Ruiner (1015 posts) -

Indeed

#25 Posted by NoelVeiga (1073 posts) -

I like Doctor Who and it still feels Capaldi is kind of slumming it, which has me pretty excited. But yeah, honestly, I'm hoping this is paired with some tightening in the writing, which could bear to be a lot less self-indulgent.

#26 Edited by pyromagnestir (4246 posts) -

This pleases me.

GET OUT OF HERE AND NEVER COME BACK!

#27 Edited by Zelyre (1127 posts) -

They were able to explain Martha Jones and Gwen as relatives to the current iterations. Karen Gillan's character in Fires of Pompei had very little screen time where you could see her face.

But how do we explain this?

(Bah. Forgotten how to embed a youtube video. Eff it, ya'll can copy and paste.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKKGgTeiXww

#28 Edited by GalacticPunt (1023 posts) -

Never checked out that Dr. Who stuff, but he could really bring some of his people skills to the character.

#29 Posted by Jumper (47 posts) -

He has some great stories as well...

#30 Edited by Silver-Streak (1338 posts) -

He's a pretty great actor. I think he'll do quite well.

Still holding a torch for Bill Nighy to get a shot at the role, someday.

#31 Edited by Feanor (1387 posts) -

This will just make slash fic even better

#32 Posted by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

This pleases me.

@truthtellah said:

GET OUT OF HERE AND NEVER COME BACK!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m23mqbpPy91r19p3ho1_500.gif

#33 Edited by Wampa1 (626 posts) -

@galacticpunt: I would watch a film called "The Space Hairdresser & The Cowboy". Now I need to see him describe new Dr.Who.

@eujin: Remember that scene in the Van Gough vs. Giant Turkey episode? I just wished he and Smith would switch places the whole time.

#34 Edited by takayamasama (439 posts) -

@zelyre: Martha I'm not sure about, but yes on Gwen. During the Stolen Earth special, after they blow up the Dalak fleet and are talking to Torchwood to help them fly Earth home, The Doctor (Tennant) sees Gwen on screen, and he and Rose ask her if she comes from an 18th century Cardiff family, to which she replies yes, and then Rose and the Doctor smile at eachother (which I think is a nicer touch since it was 9th Doctor and Rose that met old Gwen, and I like it when different Doctor's experiences bleed into other versions. Really helps keep the fact that it is the same person with new looks real)

I thought It was a nice touch that they threw a few lines in there to cover that.

On a 12th Doctor related note: I'm very curious to see if the special where 11 becomes 12 shows the creation of the Valeyard, since according to the Master, the Valeyard is created in between the Doctor's 11th and 12th regeneration (and according to Old Who, 12th and final regeneration.)

#35 Posted by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

Searching for "dr who cares" and "dr who gives a" on Twitter at times like these is always fun.

#36 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Well shit looks like I'm watching Doctor Who now.

#37 Posted by Silver-Streak (1338 posts) -

@wampa1: My Wife bawled throughout the entire 3rd act of that episode. It's still one of my favorites of the Matt Smith run.

#38 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1446 posts) -

I was hoping for Hugh Laurie (not that I even know if he was considered, I just thought he would be good), but I'm sure Peter Capaldi will be great.

#39 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

Yep. Do this and I might start caring about Doctor Who again after falling off hard during Matt Smith's tenure.

#40 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

@creepingdeath0 said:

I really don't understand Moffat hate. Do you really think RTD was better? Some of the stuff in those first four seasons was just flat out embarrassing. Sure there was also good stuff, but it was kind of hit or miss. The Moffat seasons have felt more consistent.

#41 Edited by takayamasama (439 posts) -

@freakache: The really funny thing that I've realized a lot of Moffat haters don't know, is that Moffat wrote a very large amount of the super popular episodes during the RTD era.

The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead were all Moffat episodes.

I Have liked all the Matt Smith episodes penned by Moffat, my biggest complain about recent Who is the inconsistency with guest writer episodes, and how little the do with the overall plot of the season. Season 7's biggest fault was this, in my opinion.

#42 Posted by Korwin (2828 posts) -

@creepingdeath0 said:

I really don't understand Moffat hate. Do you really think RTD was better? Some of the stuff in those first four seasons was just flat out embarrassing. Sure there was also good stuff, but it was kind of hit or miss. The Moffat seasons have felt more consistent.

I don't think Moffat is a problem, I just don't think he provides his full attention to the show (he did after all do a lot of the best RTD show runner episodes like Girl in the Fire Place and The Family of Blood 2 parter). I mean look at what he's done with Sherlock and before that Jekyll. On top of that they've been working on trying to give the show a broader appeal internationally which is doing a fair amount of damage.

#43 Posted by Lively (298 posts) -

Sure Moffat is a great writer for some individual episodes, but I think the show is less good under his role as show runner.

I think RTD's biggest gift was the ability to "stick the landing", and in my opinion the big finales of seasons 2, 3, and the "End of Time" two-parter are among the best the show ever was.

The arcs for seasons 5 and 6 were confusing and completely unsatisfying. Season 7 was better, but still a little two complicated for its own good.

#44 Posted by Korwin (2828 posts) -

@lively said:

Sure Moffat is a great writer for some individual episodes, but I think the show is less good under his role as show runner.

I think RTD's biggest gift was the ability to "stick the landing", and in my opinion the big finales of seasons 2, 3, and the "End of Time" two-parter are among the best the show ever was.

The arcs for seasons 5 and 6 were confusing and completely unsatisfying. Season 7 was better, but still a little two complicated for its own good.

I actually thing S5 was the better of the Smith run, it definitely held up better per episode. The current episodes all seems to move at this ridiculous pace to the point where everything feels over edited, random, and arbitrary, almost as if each one was originally written as a 2 part arc then compressed down into one 50 minute run.

#45 Edited by DaddyCabinet (178 posts) -

@petiew: How great would it be if the new doctor was like this? I doubt that will happen. Doctor Who seems like more of a kids show.

I fell off after the episode Closing Time. That episode was so bad I felt like throwing up. I do hope the show gets better and I will tune in to see Matt Smith get killed off.

#46 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Right then I'll have to start watching doctor who.

#47 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

He's so good. This is so good.

#48 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Dude is an awesome actor, excellent choice! Although, I'm unsure if this was intentional or not, but that smile was downright creepy and I loved it :P

#49 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

I had never heard of Peter Capaldi until this announcement. Time for some research and viewing I guess.

#50 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

I've only ever seen him angry and yelling in Scottish...so I'm somewhat skeptical. Also, what the fuck's with the Matt Smith hate? Tennant was the worst of the modern ones.