• 87 results
#51 Edited by Mike76x (555 posts) -

@freakache: The really funny thing that I've realized a lot of Moffat haters don't know, is that Moffat wrote a very large amount of the super popular episodes during the RTD era.

The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead were all Moffat episodes.

Don't forget the Curse of Fatal Death!

#52 Posted by Deadmanforking (570 posts) -

Lets hope the 12th Doctor just says Fuck all the time now! Can't wait!

#53 Posted by Jimbo (9774 posts) -

Dr. Who blows and it always has, but The Thick Of It and In The Loop are so fucking good.

#54 Posted by Embryonic (144 posts) -

#55 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Who...

#56 Edited by takayamasama (439 posts) -
#57 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

I am not saying the Doctor has to be good looking by any means, but does he have to be so ugly?

#58 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

This whole constant changing of the role thing is so weird to me.

#59 Edited by Zelyre (1127 posts) -
@mcghee said:

This whole constant changing of the role thing is so weird to me

It's kind of nice. It's backed up plot wise, that as a time lord is near death, they regenerate a new body. They retain their knowledge, but not their personality.

It's like being an Autobot Prime. Hot Rod turned into Rodimus Prime when he took ownership of The Matrix. Rodimus' body changed, his car changed, his personality changed, yet you can tell he was Hot Rod.

It keeps the show fresh, as each regeneration is a chance to reboot the series without it being jarring to fans. Between changing out Doctors and companions, they show can change while remaining the same.

Think of The Doctor as the Dread Pirate Roberts!

#60 Posted by takayamasama (439 posts) -
#61 Posted by Zoeytrope (90 posts) -

Thank god the next Doctor is going to be a white dude.

Finally.

#62 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

While I really like Matt Smith I'm glad to see we are getting an other actor to play the Doctor again. I was starting to get worried that doctor who was simply trying to appeal to youth culture.

#63 Posted by takayamasama (439 posts) -
#64 Posted by Levio (1783 posts) -

I'm surprised no one is talking about how this may be the last doctor. There's a chance he can regenerate 12 times, allowing there to be a 13th doctor, but short of some Dues Ex Machina, that's all there can ever be.

#65 Edited by takayamasama (439 posts) -

@levio: Nah they wrote out the 13 regens when River gave 11 all her regens to save him. That more or less restarted the Doctor's count.

Though there are a lot of theories that the 13 rule was a Gallifreya law, not a natural one. And with Gallifrey gone, it isn't enforced.

#66 Posted by TechHits (1370 posts) -

didn't dr. who get a new doctor not that long ago?

#67 Edited by takayamasama (439 posts) -

@techhits: January of 2009 was when Smith took over.

#68 Posted by OurSin_360 (834 posts) -

Well at least the doctor and river won't look so creepy anymore lol.

I kinda wish they would let a doctor stay in the role long enough for people to actually miss them when they regenerate.

#69 Posted by Andorski (5192 posts) -

Still not ginger...

#70 Posted by OurSin_360 (834 posts) -

@mike76x said:

@takayamasama said:

@freakache: The really funny thing that I've realized a lot of Moffat haters don't know, is that Moffat wrote a very large amount of the super popular episodes during the RTD era.

The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead were all Moffat episodes.

Don't forget the Curse of Fatal Death!

This is basically bill and ted's bogus journey lol

#71 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

@techhits: Actors who play the Doctor tend to only play the role for a few years.

#72 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

Up in the Air is one of my favorite films, so I guess that means I've got to start watching Doctor Who...

#73 Posted by BaneFireLord (2912 posts) -

@oursin_360: I still miss Tennant, so...diffrn't strokes.

#74 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

If BBC grows some balls then they can really take the Doctor places with Capaldi. Despite his yahoo gallivanting around all time and space, the Doctor is a goddamn fucking psychopath, who has killed off numerous races - his own TWICE - and everyone who runs with him either gets left behind in another dimension (at best) or sacrifices themselves in service of a lunatic. As much as I hated Rory and Amy, they did highlight how much of a douche the Doctor truly is: a Deceiver, Destroyer and Kinslayer.

The Master wasn't the crazy one at all.

Also, the best Matt Smith episode was the mindfuck version of a Christmas Carol.

#75 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

FUCK STEVEN MOFFAT.

Seriously, I tried to like Smit. I really did. But Moffat did him no favors at all. Sure he did some good stories but then beat us all to death with them (the Weeping Angels and River Song). Song was one of the worst aspects of the Smith run. Not only was she the Doctors lover, she was also the companions daughter. How convenient! How far up its own ass can this show get? Hopefully Cipaldi will give the writing team the opportunity to divorce themselves from the crapfest that the last couple of years have been.

#76 Posted by Zoeytrope (90 posts) -
#77 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

@zoeytrope said:

Eh, I think he was just making a joke. Granted, it was a pretty dumb joke, and I think it's disappointing that they didn't go with a woman, but it seems a bit silly to judge him entirely based on that quote.

#78 Posted by Zoeytrope (90 posts) -

@zoeytrope said:

Eh, I think he was just making a joke. Granted, it was a pretty dumb joke, and I think it's disappointing that they didn't go with a woman, but it seems a bit silly to judge him entirely based on that quote.

He has a long, long history of being a sexist prick. He's certainly written a lot of great television in the past, but the guy is clearly a misogynist asshole.

#79 Edited by Andorski (5192 posts) -

@freakache said:

@zoeytrope said:

He has a long, long history of being a sexist prick. He's certainly written a lot of great television in the past, but the guy is clearly a misogynist asshole.

That tumblr is a prime example with the problem I have with some people pushing for feminist ideals - and any perspective or ideology. It's great to shed a light on issues with gender inequality in shows like Doctor Who, but if they are going to ignore any evidence that is contradictory to its claims than the goal of their argument is merely to win a debate rather than to expand everyone's perspective. Concerning Amy Pond in Series 5:

She first started the series as the most sexualized companion the Doctor has had since the 2005 revival. She basically attempted to sexually harass the guy (Flesh and Stone). After Rorie joins midway in the series (Vampire in Venice), Amy Pond foregoes the sexual attraction to the Doctor but still has promiscuous tendencies; she briefly implies the idea of holding off the marriage while in Venice. Throughout the rest of series 5 her character is used as the damsel in distress (gets taken by the Sirulians and is trapped in the Pandorica). She has also had moments where she is the one driving to solve the main conflict of the episode (she she leads the infiltration of the vampire's lair in Venice and motivates Van Gogh to find some form of happiness in his artwork). There is also the end of Amy's Choice where she decides to "kill" herself and the Doctor for the possibility of finding Rorie on the TARDIS. One can view it as the female not finding value in her own life and is willing to risk it in order to save a man she is dependent on. Personally - if it was the other way around and Rorie made the decision I doubt the aforementioned argument would be made.

I find that it's easy to find situations in which Amy Pond being a promiscuous, helpless, leading, and courageous. In series 6 she needs to be saved by the Doctor when she is captured by the Silence (Day of the Moon), trapped in the TARDIS by the living planet (The Doctor's Wife), and made pregnant by the Silence (A Good Man Goes to War). On the other hand, she somehow learns swordfighting skills and saves Rorie from the Siren (The Curse of the Black Spot), an alternate/older version of herself saves "real Amy", Rorie, and the Doctor (The Girl Who Waited), and is the whole to get her hands dirty by killing Madam Kovarian and saving Rorie at the end of the series (The Wedding of River Song).

The same can be said for Rorie Williams. He - like Amy Pond - has equal times of being weak and strong. He starts as the timid one between he and Amy (The Eleventh Hour), he is opposition of helping people against the Vampires (Vampires in Venice), and "falls in love" with the Siren (Curse of the Black Spot). He's also jokingly been known as the character that constantly dies. Meanwhile, he is also known as the centurion who defends Amy and the Pandorica for 2000 years (The Big Bang), acts as a skilled warrior when fighing the headless monks (A Good Man Goes to War), punches Hitler (Let's Kill Hitler), and is alluded to having no fear due to their not being a hotel room for him (The God Complex).

The only person who is frequently positioned to be the savior is the Doctor, obviously. Every other character in the series is flawed and needs to be saved by him. That is the structure of the show, and I see it to be gender neutral in that regard. Rose, Martha, Donna, Mickey, Sarah Jane, Captain Jack, Amy, Rorie, and River have all been saved by the Doctor, are subservient to him, and have changed roles to even save him at some point. I have no objection with the Doctor becoming a woman or black, but to want an actor/actress to have the role of the Doctor primarily based on that requirement is to prioritize sending a message of complete quantified gender/racial neutrality rather over making a well acted show.

#80 Posted by benpicko (1998 posts) -

Tumblr's that wa---

@freakache said:

@zoeytrope said:

Oh okay, at least you recognise it

#81 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
#82 Edited by Chop (1994 posts) -

It's funny to see the opinions here. The only other forum I go to regularly are largely of the opinion that Matt Smith is the best revival doctor and it's mostly due to Moffat's writing.

#83 Posted by aspaceinvader (256 posts) -

I feel he could be a bit of tom baker doctor who about him in character about him

#84 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3030 posts) -

@cirdain said:

@i_stay_puft: Did you watch the second series of The Hour. It's really good, the first series is great too but doesn't have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7LChQCgZ4&t=1m51s

Nah but I'll give it a try if one of the streaming services here in the states offers it. Found the "Thick of It" and "In the Loop" on Hulu Plus. I'm enjoyed what I watched so far from the "Thick of it" no clue this show is from the same people who made "Veep".

#85 Posted by kagato (895 posts) -

Im excited, hes actually form the same home town as myself so it will be weird when i hear him doing an English accent, same was it was weird with David Tennant. Hoping for a slightly more grumpy doctor this time but time will tell...

#86 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3030 posts) -

@kagato said:

Im excited, hes actually form the same home town as myself so it will be weird when i hear him doing an English accent, same was it was weird with David Tennant. Hoping for a slightly more grumpy doctor this time but time will tell...

I can actually imagine if David Tennant was about his age they'd look quite similar. Btw you from Glasgow?

#87 Edited by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

@cirdain said:

@i_stay_puft: Did you watch the second series of The Hour. It's really good, the first series is great too but doesn't have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7LChQCgZ4&t=1m51s

Nah but I'll give it a try if one of the streaming services here in the states offers it. Found the "Thick of It" and "In the Loop" on Hulu Plus. I'm enjoyed what I watched so far from the "Thick of it" no clue this show is from the same people who made "Veep".

THE BEST BBC (fiction) TV THAT I CAN REMEMBER (reverse order)

In order of what I liked - personally - from the BBC's TV producing fucking masterclass from good to outstanding (super high standards though) is:

1. Being Human - Sorta over-reached its budget a bit but yeaahhhhhhhhh
  2. The Hour - Series 1&2
  3. Dancing on the Edge - Incredibly slow but really really interesting
  4. Luther & Sherlock - (I like the characters in Luther more but I like the story in Sherlock more)
  5. The Thick of It
  6. Ripper Street - Bloody Good!
  7. The Shadow Line - (might be a bit slow for some people, in that case watch Ripper Street) GATEHOUSE microexpression BOSSMAN
#88 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3030 posts) -

For those looking for great insight on the casting of the newest doctor and the series itself, you should really read up on Neil Gaiman tumblr page. Some of the highlights of the past two weeks include a possible black actor who was potentially offered the role of the Doctor before Matt Smith was hired on and his thoughts on a female Doctor. I thought his answer to why the Doctor no longer is limited in regenerations was pretty great!

Neil Gaiman.