#1 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I just finished A Dance with Dragons and I'm looking for a new fantasy series to read. Obviously the Lord of the Rings books are held in an incredibly high regard, but coming from Ice and Fire, how would they compare? I've heard Tolkien's writing can be very dry.

#2 Posted by CoverlessTech (737 posts) -

Read "The Name of the Wind". Simply put, it's great.

#3 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

@CoverlessTech: I actually had that in my hand the other day at Barnes &Noble, but didn't buy it.

#4 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

@Breadfan: I thought it was good.

#5 Posted by CoverlessTech (737 posts) -

@Breadfan: I read it coming off Dance with Dragons as well. I found myself slogging through Feast and Dance, couldn't put The Name of the Wind down though.

It's so refreshing coming out of Martin's work.

#6 Posted by DarknessMyOldFriend (209 posts) -

Since SOIAF is basically a deconstruction of and response to Tolkein it would have been better to go the other way, but sure, why not?

When it comes to fantasy I always recommend Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy. Pick up Royal Assassin, you won't be disappointed that you did.

#7 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Yeah, the Kingkiller Chronicle (the first of which is The Name of the Wind) is incredible.

That said though, there's a reason LoTR is a classic. You should read it if you enjoy the fantasy genre.

#8 Posted by stryker1121 (1345 posts) -

@Breadfan: Definitely read LOTR; Tolkein's writing isn't necessarily dry but there's lots of geographical descriptions and other such exposition. World building is great, and it's a classic story. Smeagol/Gollum is a wonderfully complex character on page as he is on screen.

If you're looking for modern fantasy, try Joe Abercrombie. He "First Law" trilogy is quite good, and The Heroes (which takes place in First Law's world) is excellent. He's got a new book out as well, called Red Country. Deep characterization and some bloody, visceral battles await you.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11847 posts) -

Reading through the LOTR trilogy and its surrounding works is on my bucketlist, but goddamn, I just don't have time to sit and read.

You should do it so I can live vicariously through you.

#10 Posted by Veektarius (4590 posts) -

The one has nothing to do with the other, but I like both books.

#11 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

The only fantasy I've read in the last 10 years is ASOIAF and the Dragon Age books.

Yeah, I read those. And actually, the second one, The Calling, is actually pretty good if you're into the fiction. Though occasionally a little... unfortunate.

#12 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3786 posts) -

Not as much killin and boobies. Don't bother.

No but seriously if you're into fantasy definitely check out LotR. It is a little drier then what you just finished but it's amazing. Tolkien puts so much work into building a world and history and the characters are fantastic. I re-read it every couple years. So yeah, absolutely check it out.

#13 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

I just wanted to say that I still haven't read A Dance With Dragons (I'm re-reading the whole series to remember everything that happened so that I can finally read A Dance With Dragons), so, please, if any of you guys plan on posting spoilers, use the board's spoiler function.

#14 Posted by Captain_Insano (1527 posts) -

His writing is very dry, I greatly appreciate the significance of the LOTR series and the storyline but find the writing a bit of a drag. That's my opinion however.

I would recommend The Belgariad series by David Eddings or The Riftwar Series by Raymond E. Feist.

#15 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

If you are fan of fantasy literature at all then you need to read LotR. Pretty much all of modern fantasy grew out of that trilogy. The writing can be very dry and some parts of it are very boring. The chapters with Treebeard are extremely dull, which I guess helps you relate to the characters more because even they are bored with him. That is basically the point of the character: he is boring.

Read it at least once in your life. It should be required reading for fantasy fans.

#16 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I feel sorry for people that find Lord of the Rings boring. If you get use to its pacing and begin to understand the world that Tolkien built, it can fully absorb you like no other story. That so called "dryness" adds a flavor to it that makes it feel like you are reading mythology, a sort of re-telling of true events that happened in an age past. There's nothing quite like it.

#17 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I honestly dislike a lot of LOTR. The hobbit's good though, I just dislike the trilogy.

#18 Posted by Aegon (5401 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

@CoverlessTech: I actually had that in my hand the other day at Barnes &Noble, but didn't buy it.

@Codeacious said:

Yeah, the Kingkiller Chronicle (the first of which is The Name of the Wind) is incredible.

Coming from Ice and Fire, Name of The Wind is definitely an excellent choice. Both have such rich stories. If you pay attention while reading either series, you'll learn a lot more than what's on the surface.

#19 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

I like Tolkien in an academic sense, he was truly one of the greatest worldbuilders with an insane dedication to his universe. Reading up on all the history and events of midgard is fascinating. That said, he is actually a pretty terrible writer! The Hobbit is by far the most readable, "and best book of his imo" but the large trilogy is sluggishly paced with retarded winding sentences and overly detailed descriptions. While the core story is fine, the characters are badly fleshed out and its just painful to read for long stretches.

But by all means, read it. It's basically the king of all fantasy because it just contains EVERYTHING. I think being able to say that you have read LotR is a valuable thing to do.

#20 Posted by TheKramer89 (422 posts) -

I personally like the hobbit more than the trilogy. Of the trilogy, Two towers is definitely the strongest. Tolkien is a bit slow at parts, but there are moments that are incredibly intense (Sam fighting Shelob comes to mind). If you are into fantasy, it is definitely required reading, no question.

Read the Hobbit.

#21 Posted by Morningstar (2139 posts) -

@CoverlessTech said:

Read "The Name of the Wind". Simply put, it's great.

This and the follow up "The Wise Man's Fear" are the best fantasy books to come out in a good long while.

#22 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@Breadfan: Lord of the Rings is pretty great, but there's a lot of um, well walking. Like a lot of it.

#23 Posted by Sinusoidal (1289 posts) -

The problem with Tolkien nowadays is that his work comes off as cliched, when in fact he invented the cliches. The whole of fantasy literature since Tolkien has ruined Tolkien. But man, when I first read those books - and they were my first introduction to fantasy - there was nothing better! In this post-Gemmel/Erikson/Zelazny (some of the best IMHO, sad we lost Gemmel so young, I'm not into Martin at all) world, I just can't read Tolkien anymore.