#1 Posted by GreggD (4442 posts) -

I don't want to oversell it, but...go see this movie. Like right fucking now. And also, if anyone else has seen it already, what did you think? Did it live up to your expectations, if you were already a fan of the people involved? I didn't expect a lot of what that movie threw at me, but it definitely delivered on my expectations. I'm not going to go into specifics, cuz spoilers, but if anyone wants to talk privately about it, hit me up via PM. :)

#2 Posted by TheBluthCompany (304 posts) -

I really liked it. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending, honestly. Too depressing for my taste.

#3 Edited by Hector (3346 posts) -

I loved it. It started a bit slow but it picked up really quick. Great mix of Sci-Fi and comedy!

#4 Edited by beepmachine (614 posts) -

I enjoyed it, but it is definitely my least favourite of the "trilogy." I liked the set up and the crazy plot twists, all the actors were top notch (not enough Martin Freeman though), and Edgar Wright's direction and style was as solid and entertaining as ever. But overall it didn't excite me nearly as much as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. And yeah the ending was really not that good.

#5 Edited by GreggD (4442 posts) -

Honestly, the fact that I was not expecting the ending in any way was part of why I really liked it. Also, the Cornetto reference was probably my favorite part of the whole film, which is saying a lot.

#6 Posted by Korwin (2721 posts) -

I like it more than Shaun of the Dead, but not as much as Hot Fuzz.

#7 Posted by spraynardtatum (2120 posts) -

THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!

Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost have created what may be my favorite trilogy of all time.

#8 Posted by cmblasko (1006 posts) -

Did anyone else notice that the ending to the movie is basically Deus Ex's dark age ending, and very similar to Mass Effects 3's ending by proxy? It did take me by surprise.

The movie was fantastic. Really funny, heartfelt at times, liked the points it was trying to make. Also, the fight scenes were probably some of the best I've seen in years. They seriously made shaky-cam super hero fights look like the trash they are.

Lastly, did any fellow pro wrestling fans notice the use of the Rock Bottom in the film?

#9 Posted by probablytuna (3442 posts) -

It was ok, I enjoy watching Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on screen together and it's pretty hilarious seeing the roles being reversed. Nowhere near as good as Shaun of the Dead in my opinion though. Still worth seeing I guess.

#10 Edited by Fattony12000 (6350 posts) -

Yeah, it was pretty good.

Loved all the wrestling moves being bust out.

#11 Edited by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

I wanna see it really bad.

But I actually saw You're Next earlier tonight. Very good slasher flick. Actually really funny with good twists and a great badass chick main character. Oh and it includes one of the best slasher flick deaths I've seen in a long time.

Pretty much this year's Cabin In The Woods (as in it looked dumb from trailers but ended up being gory, purposely funny and an intelligent play on the horror genre)

#12 Posted by GreggD (4442 posts) -

But I actually saw You're Next earlier tonight. Very good slasher flick. Actually really funny with good twists and a great badass chick main character. Oh and it includes one of the best slasher flick deaths I've seen in a long time.

Pretty much this year's Cabin In The Woods (as in it looked dumb from trailers but ended up being gory, purposely funny and an intelligent play on the horror genre)

On that topic, have you ever seen Tucker and Dale Versus Evil?

#13 Posted by meaninoflife42 (467 posts) -

At least the summer movie season went out on a high note. This was not only the best movie of the summer, but so far is the best movie I've seen all year.

#14 Posted by OhmanIloveOman (6 posts) -

It was a good film, amusing and especially so for me because I was completely unaware of the plot twist. Problem is though the main character is such a pathetic and unlikeable man and the rest, apart from nick frost's character, aren't really interesting or useful.

#15 Posted by Petiew (1278 posts) -

The premise was amazing, but I don't think it really delivered as well as it could have. Felt weak overall.

#17 Posted by Meltac (1901 posts) -

Never heard about it until now, but seeing who's involved, is it basically a British "This Is The End"?

#18 Posted by Abendlaender (2596 posts) -

That's so great to hear, I was really looking forward to it.

#19 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

@greggd said:

@redbullet685 said:

On that topic, have you ever seen Tucker and Dale Versus Evil?

YES! That is seriously the holy grail of movies on Netflix Instant and has been for years.

#20 Edited by sawtooth (412 posts) -

Definitely worth seeing if you have a sense of humor.

Favorite movie I've seen this year.

#21 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1592 posts) -

So glad to hear everyone's enjoying it! I'm leaving in 10 minutes to go see it. Feels like I've been waiting forever for this to come out. Shaun and Hot Fuzz are some of my all time favorites.

#22 Edited by Eujin (1293 posts) -

I really enjoyed it. Also, Nick Frost's character basically being a super-wrestler/martial artist was pretty great.

#23 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

AAAHHH can't wait to see it. Was supposed to today but can't because of reasons. I love everything Edgar Wright touches that guy's so rad.

#24 Posted by Tireyo (6382 posts) -

I thought you was referring to a store. Then I thought, it's not The World's End... it's Land's End that's the store.

#25 Edited by GreggD (4442 posts) -

@meltac said:

Never heard about it until now, but seeing who's involved, is it basically a British "This Is The End"?

No idea, but man. I would love to see you confuse the two on a fansite. They'd chew you up, I bet. :P

#26 Edited by NinjaBerd (220 posts) -

@greggd said:

@meltac said:

No idea, but man. I would love to see you confuse the two on a fansite. They'd chew you up, I bet. :P

They are very different movies. it is most certainly not a "British This is the End".

#27 Posted by Mercedes (2 posts) -

It's the type of humor that I wish I had, and it was definitely funny at a lot of moments... but like the big devil thing just wasn't interesting/funny to me.

#28 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

It wasn't as good as Hot Fuzz, but no films are. It is however another exceptionally shot and well written film by the three musketeers. (Wright, Pegg, Frost)

And the best thing is, they are going to be doing more projects together (confirmed in an interview) so despite the trilogy being over, more is coming.

@ohmaniloveoman said:

It was a good film, amusing and especially so for me because I was completely unaware of the plot twist. Problem is though the main character is such a pathetic and unlikeable man and the rest, apart from nick frost's character, aren't really interesting or useful.

This must be a cultural difference, or something. Are you American?

The main character is as stereotypical as a British waster gets, and in turn very, very funny. He has such a charm to him thanks to Pegg, really all the characters had something to them because of the writing, I felt they were all funny but the humour is extremely British with a lot of word play and constant references. (to both itself and Hot Fuzz + Shaun of the Dead)

#29 Edited by DeeGee (2096 posts) -

I liked it apart from the end.

It started getting just ridiculously maudlin, the whole stereotypical "we are humanity! we're so flawed and amazing and we have the human spirit and blah blah blah" thing just really turned me off. It wasn't subtle at all, it was just in your face and completely trite. Can we retire the trope that it's only by the amazing human experience that the evil aliens can be defeated?Plus the whole apocalypse thing was super lame. Apart from that, great film though.

#30 Edited by spraynardtatum (2120 posts) -

@deegee said:

I liked it apart from the end.

It started getting just ridiculously maudlin, the whole stereotypical "we are humanity! we're so flawed and amazing and we have the human spirit and blah blah blah" thing just really turned me off. It wasn't subtle at all, it was just in your face and completely trite. Can we retire the trope that it's only by the amazing human experience that the evil aliens can be defeated?Plus the whole apocalypse thing was super lame. Apart from that, great film though.

You sound like one of those blanks from the movie! jk

#31 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

@deegee: I didn't see the ending that way at all. I don't think it was due to the triumph and the greatness of humanity that the aliens were defeated. More that humans are a bunch of stubborn, impossible, screw ups that refuse to change for anybody and will argue until their 'saviours' get tired of it and just say 'fuck it, you're on your own'. I loved that, the entire argument was hilarious.

I just got back from the movie and I loved it. Hilarious, fun action, probably the most emotional of the three movies. Just re-enforced my love for everything Edgar Wright does. I might see it again tomorrow.

#32 Edited by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

I actually saw this last week but ya... I think its probably the weakest Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg film. The ending is out of place and feels thrown in, and the story doesn't know what it really wants to do with itself (cant be specific without spoilers).

You should still see it if you like Edgar Wright films, its not terrible, but in the line up of all his film, this was the weakest. And don't get me wrong, I love Edgar Wright films.

People saying this is the film of the year are just being fanatical. That's pretty nonsensical. It's alright, but I've seen better movies this year.

#33 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4429 posts) -

I still need to catch up on most of the movies this year, but I'll make this a priority.

#34 Posted by Hunter5024 (5168 posts) -

I really love this movie. Just some really talented friends doing what they do well together, and they seem to be having a good time doing it.