• 66 results
#1 Posted by KratosX (24 posts) -

Hey duders, so I just moved to Baltimore from Miami for work and don't really know anybody. What are some places I should check out?

#2 Posted by Danteveli (1198 posts) -

From my experience (watching the Wire) you should get a gun and watch out for a singing guy in a trench coat.

#3 Posted by Brodehouse (10081 posts) -

Omar comin

#4 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Medieval Times dog

#5 Edited by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Came to post something The Wire related but beaten like Omar's boyfriend.

#6 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

stay away from vacant lots

#7 Posted by MethodMan008 (817 posts) -

heroin?

#8 Posted by mikeeegeee (1574 posts) -

Whatever you do, don't try to reform the system. You'll get got.

#9 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

cut sleeping coworkers' ties

#10 Posted by Warfare (1641 posts) -

WMD! got that WMD!

#11 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

way downnnn in the holeeeeeeee

#12 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3577 posts) -

Lock your doors!

#13 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

They have a pretty decent concert scene. I've driven up there for a myriad of concerts back in my highschool / early college days. You should check it out, but be careful. Baltimore is awesome and incredibly scary.

#14 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Baltimore is the only real city I have ever known with a floof.

#15 Posted by SeanCoughing (269 posts) -

I'm watching The Wire season 4 right this second so i naturally clicked on this thread, but yeah stay away from vacant buildings...

#16 Posted by mosespippy (4286 posts) -

You can meet some friendly people in Hamsterdam.

#17 Edited by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

Get winter clothes. Visit stuff having to do with Edgar Allan Poe.

#18 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Inner Harbor (some great places to eat, especially when you sit outside overlooking the bay), O's Games, the Acquarium, DC United games, take day trips to DC, eat crabs, go crabbing, Ram's Head Live...

#19 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

Move again

#20 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Don't get a psychiatrist named Hannibal Lecter.
Or do but maybe don't accept the dinner invites.

#21 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -
#22 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I don't know man, you could check out the Hardware Barn. Go buy yourself a DX460, fully automatic with a .27 caliber charge. It uses gunpowder so when you've left it in the truck for a while and need to step up and use the bitch, there is no battery problem.

#23 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Find Bunk and hang out.

#24 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4420 posts) -

Weird, I basically did the same move but it was Maryland to south Florida.

Also, the wire references

#25 Edited by gaminghooligan (1465 posts) -

drink Natty Boh

#26 Posted by bennyb357 (6 posts) -

Hey man, I've lived in and around Baltimore my whole life. If you're looking for the Bar scene check out Fed Hill or Fell's Point. Both are fairly historical areas so there's a lot to see and do. There's always the Inner Harbor if you're looking for touristy things to do, and there's also the bar scene around the Power Plant as well. Patapsco State Park is the place to go if you want to get outdoors and do some hiking, kayaking, or mountain biking. Strip clubs are located on "The Block" and if you'd like to see our ghetto version of the beach you're going to have to travel over the Bay Bridge to Ocean City. If you're into Baseball check out Oriole Park at Camden Yards, it's a beautiful park and the O's have been doing well the past 2 years. The Babe Ruth Museum is only a block away from the park too. Stay away from the far West Side and far East Side of Baltimore, that's where most of the murders happen. There's a lot to see and do with Washington D.C. and Annapolis so close by as well. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like me to go into better detail.

#28 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3830 posts) -

@kratosx said:

Hey duders, so I just moved to Baltimore from Miami for work and don't really know anybody.

Here is all you need to know:

#29 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Get winter clothes. Visit stuff having to do with Edgar Allan Poe.

Yah, and summer clothes, Also In Rockville Fitzgerald is burred, if you are into that stuff. I drive by it every day, never visited it.

#30 Posted by MannyMAR (492 posts) -

Omar comin

This. Naw, just hit up some local bars or something. That's what I usually do when I move to/visit a new area just to get a feel for the people and see what are the topics du jour in the area.

#31 Posted by Wampa1 (712 posts) -
#32 Posted by Raven10 (1851 posts) -

I lived there for a couple years as a kid and I always loved their aquarium. Dunno how it is these days, but 20 years ago it was awesome. I've lived in various coastal cities on both the Pacific and Atlantic and I've never seen an aquarium as awesome as that one. Again, haven't been in decades and I was like 5 or 6 when I lived there so I'm not going to say my memory is super accurate, but I really remember loving it, and my parents still speak fondly of it to this day and they've lived not only all over the country but in other parts of the world as well.

#33 Posted by MarekkPie (72 posts) -

Go see the stevedores stained glass donation to the Catholic Church at the docks, plus check out the rectory to see the police department's contribution. (Not enough season 2 references in this thread.)

#34 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

Enjoy a much better NFL team.

#35 Posted by ztiworoh (731 posts) -
  • Get Cap'n Crunch French Toast from Blue Moon Cafe, ideally at an obscenely late hour of the night.
  • Get a cannoli from Vaccarro's in Little Italy. In general, go to Little Italy and eat a good hearty Italian meal.
  • If you like art or archaeology, visit the Walters Museum, it's worth checking out
  • Visit DC - you're only 40 minutes away and it's got way more worth seeing than Baltimore
  • Visit Annapolis - It's a decent day trip, not a ton there besides the Naval Academy but quaint and worth a visit

#36 Posted by JasonR86 (9744 posts) -

If you see a couch in the middle of the projects and someone is sitting there you can get heroin there.

#37 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Ghost rape is a real problem in Baltimore.

#38 Posted by 49th (2785 posts) -

go to the cake place and get a cake shaped like a dog or some shit

#39 Edited by Osaladin (2527 posts) -

#40 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2191 posts) -

Buy a bulletproof vest.

#41 Posted by NegativeCero (3014 posts) -

I'm just going to assume this whole thread is full of The Wire references I don't understand because I haven't seen it.

#42 Posted by MonetaryDread (2078 posts) -

Masturbate until your fingers bleed.

#43 Posted by afabs515 (1192 posts) -

Get in your house, lock your door, never leave.

#44 Posted by me3639 (1795 posts) -

Some of the best answers to a question ever. Ive never been to Baltimore, but its seems to be a lot like Detroit, a good place to start above ground nuclear testing.

#45 Posted by TruthTellah (9323 posts) -

Get the f*ck out of Baltimore.

#46 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -

leave.

#47 Posted by KratosX (24 posts) -

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it! (Even the constant Wire references)

#48 Posted by YoungJustice (9 posts) -

Crabs my friend, blue crabs.

#49 Edited by jkz (4044 posts) -

Find some people who seem cool and hang out with them. If they're drunk, all the better. Best way to make friends around here (assuming you're in the city; if not then I dunno, go to Chipotle probably?). Baltimore's got a vibe.

#50 Posted by Eirikr (1009 posts) -

@kratosx: Where in Baltimore are you living? City or County?

If you want to connect to other gamers, Baltimore is central to a large Midatlantic network of gaming events, such as MAGfest, which is in the DC area every January. The BitGen game music festival, in the city, is coming up August 10th, and a lot of my friends will be there, most of whom were fellow gamers I met at my college's (UMBC) game room.

There's much more to the city than violent, drug-related crime (which you will completely avoid if you stay away from certain areas). I spent the first 25 years of my life in the western/southwestern part of the county and can vouch that Baltimoreans, while often crass, have a lot of heart. Engage with the locals, even gamers if you want, and you should have a ball, hon.