#1 Posted by WOBAG (166 posts) -

Just spent the best part of an hour working on a submission and the freakin' browser crashed. 

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. 

OK I feel better now. 

What was the last / worst time you lost work you put serious time into,  school-work, work work, housework, only to see if vaporize in front of your eyes? 

#2 Edited by CaptainCody (1546 posts) -

PS2 memory card wipe from that Viewtiful Joe demo that came with Gamepro I believe.
#3 Posted by SumDeus (1898 posts) -

Notepad is your friend.

#4 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1263 posts) -

I had just started typing out the beginning of a novel on my laptop. I saved it, turned it off, and the next day I woke up and turned it on, the hard drive decided to take a massive shit and die. Not only did I lose my work but, also lost 4,000+ songs. That was rough for me.

#5 Posted by xMP44x (2227 posts) -

I remember writing up a long post for some page on this site (I think it might have been Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas), and about 1,000 or 2,000 words in, Safari stopped momentarily. "Safari has crashed" followed with me exploding with rage. A couple of hours later though, I had around 8,000 words written, quite a few pages sitting, and Word running perfectly. I hate having my browser crash myself, even if I don't lose anything of importance.

#6 Posted by WOBAG (166 posts) -
@SumDeus: As I am now discovering while I try to remember what I put.
#7 Edited by Rourkey (199 posts) -

Spent most of a day writing up an essay only to loose the memory stick i saved it on (should have saved it on my HD too, i know, im a dick head). I then stayed up all night rewriting the essay ans as soon as i finish what do i find? The fucking memory stick.

#8 Posted by supermike6 (3767 posts) -

Played two hours and Mass Effect, then died. Played an hour of Persona 3, then died. Those are my two worst, and their not too bad and also completely my fault.

#9 Posted by GetEveryone (4531 posts) -
@wobag: Lost my Shadowman save at least 3 times; roughly at the same 10 hour point every time. Fuck N64 3rd party memory cards.
#10 Posted by CannonGoose (386 posts) -

Dragon Age on the 360 seems to be completely random with it's auto-saving. So I didn't notice that it had gone three hours without doing ONE FUCKING AUTO-SAVE and I die due to poorly managing a battle.  BOOM, three hours of progress down the drain. And what does the game do not ten fucking seconds after I load up my 3-hour-old save? 

Auto-save. Son of a bitch.

#11 Posted by Jeust (11473 posts) -
@UnsavedHero said:
" I had just started typing out the beginning of a novel on my laptop. I saved it, turned it off, and the next day I woke up and turned it on, the hard drive decided to take a massive shit and die. Not only did I lose my work but, also lost 4,000+ songs. That was rough for me. "
Well, similar thing happened to me. Once my laptop had a massive breakdown and I lost most of a novel I was writing at the time, plus an almost finished small story I was also working on. I was a sad panda that day. 
#12 Posted by Tebbit (4572 posts) -

About 6 hours worth of Final Fantasy VII, before it froze in the Temple of the Ancients, right after that damned Demon Gate fight. Oh, the days before auto-save.

#13 Posted by yorro (560 posts) -

You are not a real gamer if you have no experience in losing games that weren't saved.

#14 Posted by DrPockets000 (2875 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @UnsavedHero said:
" I had just started typing out the beginning of a novel on my laptop. I saved it, turned it off, and the next day I woke up and turned it on, the hard drive decided to take a massive shit and die. Not only did I lose my work but, also lost 4,000+ songs. That was rough for me. "
Well, similar thing happened to me. Once my laptop had a massive breakdown and I lost most of a novel I was writing at the time, plus an almost finished small story I was also working on. I was a sad panda that day.  "
Happened to me with both a novel and with an article on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I was writing.
#15 Posted by WOBAG (166 posts) -

OK I finally managed to finish it, check out the Nikoli page in a couple of days!

#16 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1263 posts) -
@Jeust: Glad I'm not the only one. After that I started writing in paper notebooks. I don't trust computers anymore. lol
#17 Posted by Gamer_152 (14282 posts) -

I can't actually remember the last time I lost anything but I feel like it was probably some C++ or C# code I was writing. When writing submissions for the Giant Bomb wiki I always make sure to periodically copy everything I've got over to Word so I don't lose it.

#18 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5283 posts) -
@CannonGoose said:

" Dragon Age on the 360 seems to be completely random with it's auto-saving. So I didn't notice that it had gone three hours without doing ONE FUCKING AUTO-SAVE and I die due to poorly managing a battle.  BOOM, three hours of progress down the drain. And what does the game do not ten fucking seconds after I load up my 3-hour-old save?  Auto-save. Son of a bitch. "

Haha, maybe this is what developers mean by replayability nowadays.

Five solid hours of Odin Sphere, particularly end game hard as hell battle sequences that I pushed through and felt damn good about, only to have to power go out and watch all my hard work blink away in an instant. I have not since then touched the game.

So sad.
#19 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1263 posts) -
@DrPockets000: Lol, now I do that stuff on paper notebooks. Screw unreliable harddrives.
#20 Posted by DrPockets000 (2875 posts) -
@UnsavedHero: Me too.  I keep a notebook with me at all times in case I get an idea, and then LATER I transpose it onto my computer, and then save it on the HD, a flash drive, and a server.
#21 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3515 posts) -

Hard drive failed after backing all my music up on to it and selling my cds.

#22 Posted by Spoonman (82 posts) -

save early save often, i don't know how many times i've lost progress on a 3d model when programs decide to crash

#23 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -

My 2 year old son (well, actually my girlfriends son, but I like to think he's my son) got a hold of my PS3 controller, turned on the PS3, and learned how to most of my stuff. He managed to get most of my saves and a few of my games. 

#24 Posted by DragonBloodthirsty (554 posts) -

LOL, I'll share.

My family used to rent games (from Blockbuster).  We rented Shining Force, which is a fun, old strategy title (the original one, not Shining Force 2).  Me and my brothers played it all of Friday, saved it at the church and everything, and then when we came back on Saturday we discovered no saves.  This is how we discovered the battery back up for the game was dead.  Fortunately, we were young, and as strategy games go it's not so hard the second time.

#25 Posted by JessicaBoo (420 posts) -

When i was in college i was doing a program for my last year project. and i was so concentrated that i kept forgetting to save it, i remember we were doing the program with VisualBasic 6.0 professional, and SQL and excel all intertwined and omg, my computer crashes and i thought, oh its fine i saved. when i went back.. :(  

Coding is not something you can do on a paper notebook. Because you can't tell when its an error.... But oh well, same old thing as many other of you said, hard drive failures, and internet being an ass, stuff xD 

#26 Posted by Undeadpool (5232 posts) -

Wrote a 150 page book and my hard drive got completely corrupted. I recovered the first half of the book, which I was planning on rewriting...NOT a good day. 
I had a back-up copy but I hadn't updated it in a LONG time...which kinda defeats the purpose I know. It's just as well, the thing wasn't good (wrote it almost ten years ago), but at the time...so pissed.