just saw 'Captain America: Winter Soldier' -my thoughts

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It was alright, I wasn't blown away or anything. It was on the pleasant side of "Okay" A 3/5 on GiantBomb.

It had some fun moments and some juicy spectacle which I always enjoy but ultimately it dragged and (despite clearly trying to be !!EPIC!!) felt like the product of a Marvel executives brainstorming session killing time before Avengers 2 comes out. That's not to say big shit doesn't go down, it does, but it just feels slapdash at the end of it.

The big big twist/reveal just seems out-and-out silly. Now normally that's cool with me. Silly campy'ness is a reason I actually ended up enjoying the first Cap movie, but they clash poorly with the mostly very self-serious tone of the film.

On the upside, the action scenes are pretty solid but suffer from the ever present cut-from-close-up-to-close-up-in-a-fight-scene-so-fast-you-don't-actually-see-what-they're-doing which always irks me as I really appreciate some good action choreography. Where the first film dealt with action in a very montage'y way this one focuses on how Captain America handles himself with quick, controlled movements, a good weight and lots of shield throwing. It also confirms that Chris Evans can, impressively, carry a movie playing Captain America. A guy who on paper, is super dull. He fleshes him out enough to care about but not dilute the simple fish-out-of-water-nationalistic-charm he established in his previous appearances.

So yea, it's ok, maybe even good if you want it to be. But not very good.

This is of course all my opinion. I don't read the comic's so I don't care about that. I graduated film production in a good program. I thought both Iron Man 3 and The Avengers were great and a bit silly in the perfect way. And I thought Ang Lee's 2004 'Hulk' movie is actually really good if a bit out of the ordinary. Also not everyone agrees with me even in my personal life, so it's cool if you don't. I just wanted to get my thoughts out there because I was a tad disappointed.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@bluefish: In the future, please keep all non-game discussion to Off-Topic. Opinion pieces like this are also better suited to a blog.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

who the hell still watches superhero movies in spandex costumes? everyone is on about thor and captain north america