• 60 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

I live in the Netherlands and it opened here yesterday.

Man this movie is everything it promised to be. I always had my doubts if this was gonna be as good as promised but they delivered on everything.

The action was mind blowing, seeing the hulk smash a entire army is something special. It makes the last hulk movies look terrible.

While the action was amazing, the character interaction was even better, seeing the hulk stand next to Thor and Ironman and them talking to eachother is alot of fun.

Go see this movie !

#2 Posted by spacetrogg (59 posts) -

Yeah- its just been released in the UK as well, literally just got back from seeing it.

I saw it in 2d though, though if the 3d version turns out to be any good I may well go again. Not wanting to spoil anything I'll just say that I really don't envy anyone who has to wait till May 4th.

#3 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Is there anything for people who liked Ironman but found Thor and Captain America to be boring as hell?

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Shame its only in 3D everywhere in the Netherlands.

#5 Posted by cutyoface (544 posts) -

I just got back too. I was extremely surprised on how good it was.

Online
#6 Posted by Brendan (7808 posts) -

The sentiments expressed in this thread make me happy, since I didn't have high expectations for this.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

Awesome, look forward to seeing it.

#8 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

Was it better than the films the characters came from? 'Cause if not, I'm not interested. Those movies weren't good to me.

#9 Posted by efman (212 posts) -

Cool! Looking forward to seeing it. Some really good buzz coming out of folks who have seen this.

#10 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@TentPole said:

Is there anything for people who liked Ironman but found Thor and Captain America to be boring as hell?

I am one of those people! Iron Man was great, Iron Man 2 a mess, but with great bits, Thor and Captain America were affronts to my senses.

That said, Avengers is fucking fantastic, it even retroactively makes those films better. I just got back from Avengers and oh my god, it was the best cinema exprience. Ever. I loved it.

So, yes, there's something for you. There's lots for you.

#11 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Nice to hear that Marvel is getting better at making movies on some of their stuff, will enjoy seeing this though really would just want them to do a solitary movie with the Black Widow on an assortment of spy/SHIELD missions.

#12 Posted by Kelswitch (141 posts) -

Just back from seeing it too, it's badass.

Actually felt like a graphic novel come to life.

#13 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

@TentPole said:

Is there anything for people who liked Ironman but found Thor and Captain America to be boring as hell?

I am one of those people! Iron Man was great, Iron Man 2 a mess, but with great bits, Thor and Captain America were affronts to my senses.

That said, Avengers is fucking fantastic, it even retroactively makes those films better. I just got back from Avengers and oh my god, it was the best cinema exprience. Ever. I loved it.

So, yes, there's something for you. There's lots for you.

I was with you until that bit. I haven't seen it but I have hard time imagining how this could be one of the best films of all time. But I will probably check it out when it comes out on Redbox. I am poor and have to save my money for Dragon's Dogma, Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus.

@theguy said:

Just got back too, brilliant and surprisingly funny (although there were one or two moments where they tried too hard). It didn't take itself as seriously as the single hero films. Its just great entertainment.

Alright, I am back on board.

#14 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

Just got back too, brilliant and surprisingly funny (although there were one or two moments where they tried too hard). It didn't take itself as seriously as the single hero films. Its just great entertainment.

#15 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Tylea002 said:

@TentPole said:

Is there anything for people who liked Ironman but found Thor and Captain America to be boring as hell?

I am one of those people! Iron Man was great, Iron Man 2 a mess, but with great bits, Thor and Captain America were affronts to my senses.

That said, Avengers is fucking fantastic, it even retroactively makes those films better. I just got back from Avengers and oh my god, it was the best cinema exprience. Ever. I loved it.

So, yes, there's something for you. There's lots for you.

I was with you until that bit. I haven't seen it but I have hard time imagining how this could be one of the best films of all time. But I will probably check it out when it comes out on Redbox. I am poor and have to save my money for Dragon's Dogma, Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus.

Cinema Experience, not film. I have seen better films than this, many, in fact, but as an experience, it was simply superb. It's the complete opposite of the Dark Knight style of film - it's a true Blockbuster, there's no layers of artsyness or metaphor, but it's actually good. I'd say a close point of comparison is Ghost Protocol - but it's better than that, because it has more breathing room, there's more character to this.

I, yeah, I sound like I'm being crazy hyperbolic, but I'm not. It is nowhere near the best films of all time. It does not have the depth for that. As an experience, seeing it in a room with other people who are also excited, it's fantastic. And for that reason, if you're going to see it, and see it at home rather than in the cinema, you're missing the point!

#16 Edited by altairre (1192 posts) -

It's the first movie I am going to see again before it releases on Blu Ray. It's fucking rad as shit and I don't even like comic-superhero-movie-stuff. Also the movie is really funny and there are so many great memorable scenes in it.

Edit: And yes it is the best cinema experience I have ever had. That's probably the best way to put it actually.

#17 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Also, I will personally give someone £100 if they guess which video game has an amazing reference.

You won't guess. But you will lose your shit.

#18 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

How Ironman heavy is this movie? I don't really like the Tony Stark character and from the trailers he seems to be the main avenger in the movies.

#19 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

My name is Tylea and I'll be answering your questions about the Avengers this evening.

@zombie2011 said:

How Ironman heavy is this movie? I don't really like the Tony Stark character and from the trailers he seems to be the main avenger in the movies.

It's Iron Man heavy, no doubt. But all characters get fair play, and there's around 10, so he doesn't bog it down. And no one likes Tony Stark, which is kind of the point of his character. They play about with this - so you still may enjoy his journey. But you may not, and then there's hella other characters.

#20 Posted by altairre (1192 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

Also, I will personally give someone £100 if they guess which video game has an amazing reference.

You won't guess. But you will lose your shit.

I loved that part. I was like "WHAT?" when they mentioned it and then totally laughed out loud at the end of the scene.

#21 Posted by stryker1121 (1442 posts) -

@TentPole said:

Is there anything for people who liked Ironman but found Thor and Captain America to be boring as hell?

Yeah. Ironman is more of a charismatic character and Downey Jr nailed it perfectly. But Thor and the Cap'n movies were boring. Thor was borderline bad. Really looking forward to The Avengers, however.

#22 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

@NTM said:

Was it better than the films the characters came from? 'Cause if not, I'm not interested. Those movies weren't good to me.

It was miles ahead of those movies which i liked as well. But to be honest i loved Batman and i cant wait to see the dark knight rises. But TDKR has to do alot to top this.

#23 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@Brendan

The sentiments expressed in this thread make me happy, since I didn't have high expectations for this.

WORD
#24 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Saw it on Wednesday, loved it to death.

Easily the best thing Marvel has done, and I think they should give Joss Whedon ALL OF THE MONEY to ensure he sticks around and does the sequel, it oozed with the easy charm and intelligent, fast dialogue that are his hallmarks.

Seriously, the movie may be a fluff-piece blockbuster, but that particulsr argument scene on the helicarrier was done masterfully, far better than most dramatic directors could have handled.

Also Hulk was awesome, Ruffalo did great

#25 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

I'll watch it. Looking more forward to The Dark Knight Rises though. Bane has always been really shitty on-screen and now "it's bane".

#26 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

As I said in the other thread on this exact same subject (http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/have-you-seen-the-avengersavengers-assemble/544753/#18):
 
"I honestly had very, very low expectations for this movie, but being that it's written and directed by Joss Whedon, who I'm a huge fan of, and that it's gotten rave reviews, I'm pretty psyched about it now. I can't wait to see it once school gets out, along with Cabin In The Woods. I'll have a Joss Whedon movie marathon or something."
 
I guess if people are going to create the same threads over and over again, I might as well not waste my time writing the same posts over and over again.

#27 Posted by cexantus (131 posts) -

@Tylea002:

This is good since I pretty much disliked every single marvel film save for Iron Man. It's a bit sad that it's taken this long for Marvel to finally get it right.

#28 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@cexantus said:

@Tylea002:

This is good since I pretty much disliked every single marvel film save for Iron Man. It's a bit sad that it's taken this long for Marvel to finally get it right.

What exactly haven't they gotten right? Each and every one of the movies of the individual Avengers have been a box office smash and most of them had outstanding reviews.
#29 Posted by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

@cexantus said:

@Tylea002:

This is good since I pretty much disliked every single marvel film save for Iron Man. It's a bit sad that it's taken this long for Marvel to finally get it right.

What exactly haven't they gotten right? Each and every one of the movies of the individual Avengers have been a box office smash and most of them had outstanding reviews.

Transformers 1-3 were smashes monetarily and they were both tripe.

#30 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

Huh, consider me pleasantly surprised.  Not going to see it since I hold little interest in the source material, but a movie being good is still good news in general.

#31 Posted by cexantus (131 posts) -

@Jrinswand:

1. Success does not equate to quality

2. My problem with the Marvel films stems from the fact that, while I understand them to be solid adaptations, I don't think they're great films--at all. At best, they're fun little diversions, and at worse they can be mindless dribble (see Incredible Hulk and Captain America). Yes, I'm well aware that these films are critically successful as well, but I do have a mind of my own so I don't necessarily need to agree with them on every film.

I've been burned way too many times, so I'm taking these positive reviews with a grain of salt.

#32 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@Jayzilla said:

Transformers 1-3 were smashes monetarily and they were both tripe.

Yeah, but they were all also universally reviled. They weren't considered to be good movies whereas most of the more recent Marvel films have been. 
 
@cexantus said:

@Jrinswand:

1. Success does not equate to quality

2. My problem with the Marvel films stems from the fact that, while I understand them to be solid adaptations, I don't think they're great films--at all. At best, they're fun little diversions, and at worse they can be mindless dribble (see Incredible Hulk and Captain America). Yes, I'm well aware that these films are critically successful as well, but I do have a mind of my own so I don't necessarily need to agree with them on every film.

I've been burned way too many times, so I'm taking these positive reviews with a grain of salt.

See my previous point. They were mostly considered to be great movies, which is one of the reasons that they were so successful. Even when they weren't great (see: Thor), they were, at the worst, harmless. I, for one, am a huge fan of fun, mindless movies.
#33 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Hopefully this will finally begin to turn Joss Whedon into one of the Holywood's biggest directors, like he should've been all along.

#34 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Joss Wheadon. That is all.

#35 Posted by cexantus (131 posts) -

@Jrinswand: I, for one, am a huge fan of fun, mindless movies.

I as well. I just prefer quality when it comes to action films.

#36 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Wait. You guys get it before us? Why? That doesn't even make sense. I NEED THIS MOVIE NOW!

#37 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@cexantus said:

@Jrinswand: I, for one, am a huge fan of fun, mindless movies.

I as well. I just prefer quality when it comes to action films.

That doesn't make sense though. Wouldn't you want your action to be mindless and, I don't know, your dramatic period pieces or whatever to be serious?
#38 Edited by cexantus (131 posts) -

@Jrinswand: That's a silly statement to make, especially since I never compared The Avengers to any supposed "dramatic period piece"

quality /= Oscar nominated tripe.

Even a dumb, mindless action film needs to actually be, you know, good in order to be effective. Otherwise it's just a bunch of uninspired action set pieces and cgi, strung together by a hackneyed plot and one-dimensional characters.

#39 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@cexantus said:

@Jrinswand: That's a silly statement to make, especially since I never compared The Avengers to any supposed "dramatic period piece"

quality /= Oscar nominated tripe.

Even a dumb, mindless action film needs to actually be, you know, good in order to be effective. Otherwise it's just a bunch of uninspired action set pieces and cgi, strung together by a hackneyed plot and one-dimensional characters.

Oh, I wasn't saying the two were necessarily related. I was just offering a "for instance." And yeah, I know what you mean about action movies. Even the cheesy ones need to be the right kind of cheesy in order to be any good. I just think that a lot of the time superhero movies get away with it because they don't take themselves too seriously. Of course, even when they don't take themselves seriously, there is still plenty of opportunity for the movie to be horrible.
#40 Posted by LittleBigJono (252 posts) -

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

#41 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

welt it sounds like a good movie. i haven't seen a movie at the theaters since like 5 months.

#42 Posted by HistoryInRust (6315 posts) -
@cexantus

@Jrinswand: I, for one, am a huge fan of fun, mindless movies.

I as well. I just prefer quality when it comes to action films.

Taste isn't an objective barometer, you know. You can dislike a thing of high quality. Hell, I do it all the time. Your positive appraisal isn't an accurate gauge of any high-brow, artistic "quality" the way you're putting on. It just means you like it.

And whatever. I don't mean to talk down to you about it. But people like what they like. And if they don't, then who cares.
#43 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

does it have any painful product placement like the iPod gags in Thor?

#44 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

I thought it was kinda cheesy in some parts, and the bad guys motivation was kinda weak.
 
still pretty good though.

#45 Posted by BleedingStarX (279 posts) -

Absolutely loved it, I dont see The Amazing Spiderman beating it so it's film of the year for me.

#46 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@altairre said:

@Tylea002 said:

Also, I will personally give someone £100 if they guess which video game has an amazing reference.

You won't guess. But you will lose your shit.

I loved that part. I was like "WHAT?" when they mentioned it and then totally laughed out loud at the end of the scene.

WHAT IS IT ALREADY? TELL US! TELL US!
#47 Posted by cexantus (131 posts) -

@HistoryInRust:

STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!!!!!

But seriously, I never said that you can't like the films, and in all honestly, I understand why people like those movies. I'm just saying I personally didn't like them, and was only answering a question.

I shouldn't have to put in big, bold caps that this is my opinion every time I post, do I?

#48 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

It's just mindless entertainment. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, I didn't see the other Marvel movies leading up to this and I don't know all that much about the comics, but isn't the secret identity supposed to be a big thing? Here, they walk around masked or unmasked, they don't really give a fuck.

Online
#49 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

So for people who have seen this, how in the world do Scarlett Johansonn and Hawkeye manage to hang with super humans with their respective handgun and compound bow during fight scenes?

#50 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@Shookems said:

So for people who have seen this, how in the world do Scarlett Johansonn and Hawkeye manage to hang with super humans with their respective handgun and compound bow during fight scenes?

They're Shield agents, so they're never the main players, Superhero wise. Thankfully the film's aware of this, and still utilises them to their strengths.