Just started watching doctor who(surprise I like it, but)

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

I just started watching the show on netflix with the 2005 show not the classic stuff. I'm worried though that I wont like the next doctors after Christopher Eccleston. But I really have no way of knowing since I haven't seen them yet but from looking at pictures of them they just seem lamer some how. But then those cast photos they use always make shows look way shittier then they actually are.

Anyway Doctor Who for me has been this show that people seem really into(maybe too into) but Ive just thought, whats the big deal? Growing up I watched Red Dwarf, Stargate SG1, Quantum Leap, Sliders and figured that if the other shows were worth watching then I would have watched them by now. Then my girlfriend showed me Farscape and I began to doubt my previous mind set. So now i'm branching out cause you know... being biased against things you haven't even tried is a pretty asinine way to live your life. (well... as I type that I'm thinking I never tried heroin before, so maybe there is a better way to say what I meant but you probably get my point.)

Well, I only have a couple episodes left of this series. So I guess I will soon see for myself what the next doctor is like.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Chronologist

I had the exact same worry when a new doctor would show up, but I started liking the new ones pretty much immediately. They're different, but all awesome in their own way :)

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zeik

I'm pretty sure that happens with everyone who gets into the series. It's easy to get attached to a particular Doctor and then just assume it won't hold up with whoever replaces them.

I think you'll have a hard time not getting attached to David Tennant's Doctor though, if you're already into the first series. The show gets a lot better over the course of his run.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the exact same worry when a new doctor would show up, but I started liking the new ones pretty much immediately. They're different, but all awesome in their own way :)

I think I just get attached to easily. I'm sure you're right! Just gotta give em a chance.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got bored around the third season. Too much character drama and not enough sci-fi and history.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got bored around the third season. Too much character drama and not enough sci-fi and history.

not sure what to think about that. I like all those things.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Eccleston was awesome, but Tennant really hit it out of the park. There are so many good emotional arcs with him. Eccleston has those as well (meeting the Dalek for instance), but Tennant had more seasons to shine in.
Doctor Who is great to me because of the range of emotions it can elicit. It is goofy fun that doesn't take itself seriously, with an 800+ year old alien flying through space and time in a blue police box. It is mostly just fun for the whole family, yet there are episodes that are as scary as many horror movies. There are episodes that have had me outright crying. Sure, it's campy, it's silly and I can see why a lot of people just roll their eyes at it. But I have so much fun with every aspect of it. From the weird timelines, to the fact that the Doctor is tragic as hell.
But the whole "I'm not so sure about the next Doctor" aspect of it is something everyone has I think. I haven't seen more than one or two episodes of Capaldi for instance, so I am not sure about him yet. Looking forward to having fun with those seasons though, because they always get to be a good Doctor I think. They are just different, as they are supposed to be.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who's fully caught up and only started watching it a few years ago Eccelston was far and away better than Tennant for me and and I stopped disliking his Doctor by season 4. Matt Smith was a step down from Tennant but I really started to like his take on the Doctor after the first year. Peter Capaldi is my second favorite and all around amazing but I still miss Eccelston. Just keep with it though everyone is different so you might love the rest as well. Great show and very entertaining.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just stop after Tennant. Trust me on this.

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tennant > Capaldi > Smith > Eccelston for me. Each one is brilliant though and they all bring something different to the table.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By teaoverlord

All the crazy Tennant fangirls on the internet have kinda put me off him, but he was pretty good.

Edit: definitely don't stop after Tennant

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@daddycabinet said:

Matt Smith is better than Tennant, and the season long arcs during his run were way better than in the first 4 seasons. Russel T. Davies' idea of a season long arc was to repeat a word in every episode and then have that mean something in the finale. Moffat does long form storytelling much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daddycabinet said:

Matt Smith is better than Tennant, and the season long arcs during his run were way better than in the first 4 seasons. Russel T. Davies' idea of a season long arc was to repeat a word in every episode and then have that mean something in the finale. Moffat does long form storytelling much better.

I have never like Moffat because I think he just spews melodramatic garbage from his brain onto the page. That's just me though and I seem to be in the minority on this opinion. ¯\(°_°)/¯

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@daddycabinet: Nah, I'm with you. I mean, I like Moffat's "melodramatic garbage," but I kinda don't like the way he introduces a lot of stuff and then wraps it up too quickly. I haven't gone back and caught up yet (I think I left off after series 6?) partially because his run has felt so frenetic as to be exhausting. I felt like I had more breathing room in Davies' series.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll said:
@daddycabinet said:

I have never like Moffat because I think he just spews melodramatic garbage from his brain onto the page. That's just me though and I seem to be in the minority on this opinion. ¯\(°_°)/¯

I never really understood this opinion since Davies is the one who decided the Doctor should be house elf Jesus who turns back into the normal Doctor because the whole world does believe in fairies.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OurSin_360

I say give it a shot, I hated Ecclesston at first but he grew on me just long enough for him to leave and tennant to take over lol. My nephew is watching it on netflix just like you and he feels the same way as you about Ecclesston I believe, but i think you have to get past the slow episodes and into the more engaging over arching ones to really get into it. I think the show is at it's best when it's weaving in a huge storyline in the background, that doesn't connect until maybe the last few episodes and you get a big finale. I think this was best done with Tennant and you also get a wider range of Companions with him (donna is the best IMO).

Honestly though, I was surprised how huge doctor who got when it came to BBCA, I thought it was just one of those shows that I would love and everybody would hate because it's too different lol.

Edit. I think Calpaldi is actually the edgiest doctor I've seen on the show and becoming my favorite

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typically people connect most with the Doctor they started with. I personally started with Series 5 when Matt Smith came on, then went back and watched Eccleston and Tennant. I really liked what both of them brought and there are some phenomenal Tennant episodes and you'd be robbing yourself of some great tv if you go in thinking you won't like any other doctors. I was supremely disappointed to have to see Matt Smith go, but I was also excited to see what Capaldi would bring.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@devil240z: The classic DW problem. Don't worry, it'll sort itself out.

As for the show itself, it's personally my favorite sci-fi show. That's because I think it does the "what's going on?" Aspect really well. Keeps you guessing the whole time.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mikemcn

@ll_exile_ll said:
@daddycabinet said:

Tennant and Matt Smith were really good, with matt smith DW got way more cinematic and way more enjoyable . It stopped being just a really good sci-fi show and became a really good show overall. Like i'd be willing to recommend the matt smith stuff to most people, not just sci-fi fans.

Have not watched any Calpaldi, but I like the idea of an older doctor.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Don't listen to anyone who says "stop after season X" or "Y doctor is better than Z" etc. People are divided on many things regarding Doctor Who, so just watch it all and form your own opinions.

I've personally enjoyed all seasons of the new Who, some more than others.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:
@ll_exile_ll said:
@daddycabinet said:

Tennant and Matt Smith were really good, with matt smith DW got way more cinematic and way more enjoyable . It stopped being just a really good sci-fi show and became a really good show overall. Like i'd be willing to recommend the matt smith stuff to most people, not just sci-fi fans.

Have not watched any Calpaldi, but I like the idea of an older doctor.

Capaldi is super good and so is series 8 mostly. There were a few episodes that didn't really hit, but they were because of the writing and not any problem with Capaldi.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I started with the classic stuff and I'm slowly working my way through. The classic stuff is fun in a very weird way. Almost a bit too self serious and dramatic, but it is interesting in that way too because you don't see that on tv much anymore.

Without a doubt starting with the new stuff is a good idea because it will make a bit more sense and is easier to watch. But don't avoid the classic stuff, it is its own thing.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#24 MattyFTM  Moderator

Christopher Eccleston was the best modern doctor. I wish he had stayed on for at least a couple of series.

But David Tennant was pretty great too, and most of the best episodes are Tennant episodes.

Then Matt Smith came along and did a decent job, but the writing started to get really silly and convoluted when he was around.

And so far Peter Capaldi has been pretty good, but I'll have to wait and see more of him.

So they're all good, but none as good as Eccleston.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mattyftm: I agree. I think Eccleston deserved at least one more season. And Smith could have been much better, but he did have some of the worst writing in all the modern seasons. I'm also not sure how much I like Capaldi just yet. I think personally that Jenna Coleman carried the last season. Without her as the companion I'm not sure how much I would have cared for Capaldi. But maybe that is also the writing. It just feels like he could do so much more with the role, but just isn't there. Kinda like with Smith.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy Doctor Who a lot, been watching since it was on PBS. It's a long running show and not everything is great, HOWEVER it's sooo much fun

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well fuck I'm about to finish season 2 and I'm gonna miss Rose! Thats just how this show is huh?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

I just started watching the show on netflix with the 2005 show not the classic stuff. I'm worried though that I wont like the next doctors after Christopher Eccleston. But I really have no way of knowing since I haven't seen them yet but from looking at pictures of them they just seem lamer some how. But then those cast photos they use always make shows look way shittier then they actually are.

Anyway Doctor Who for me has been this show that people seem really into(maybe too into) but Ive just thought, whats the big deal? Growing up I watched Red Dwarf, Stargate SG1, Quantum Leap, Sliders and figured that if the other shows were worth watching then I would have watched them by now. Then my girlfriend showed me Farscape and I began to doubt my previous mind set. So now i'm branching out cause you know... being biased against things you haven't even tried is a pretty asinine way to live your life. (well... as I type that I'm thinking I never tried heroin before, so maybe there is a better way to say what I meant but you probably get my point.)

Well, I only have a couple episodes left of this series. So I guess I will soon see for myself what the next doctor is like.

Being biased is actually a good thing. Facing a thing you didn't face before, by and directed by your own will, and through your ideas and feelings, some of them rationalizations or extracted from of your experiences, or your recolection of them, you discuss this new thing, and reach conclusions. Conclusions that ease the burden of choice. By those conclusions you started to believe that heroin is probably not a great idea for you. But they can be wrong. Or maybe the time wasn't right to experience those shows, as you probably wouldn't give them a fair shake.

The idea is that you don't know it all, and can be wrong with your bias.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Eccleston was my favorite Doctor, though Tenant and Smith are pretty good as well in their own ways. My issue with the show is basically the companions. I couldn't stand Rose at all and couldn't figure out why the hell they decided to dedicate so much time to her. Amy on the other hand I thought was great.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's not the doctors that drag the show down it's the companions. Unfortunately some last for multiple seasons and imo outstay there welcome.