#1 Posted by Demoskinos (13918 posts) -

So, JT's new album hit at the beginning of the week and its absolutely dominating on the charts. There have only been 31 recorded weeks EVER where this has happened since 1991. I bought a copy today for $7 myself. Its a brilliant album. All the songs are pretty spot on IMO. My favorites so far have been "Don't Hold the Wall" and "Strawberry Bubblegum" anyone else here listening to this? I'm pretty convinced this will be the Album to beat this year unless Lady Gaga's Artpop. There have to be some JT fans here right?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1554312/justin-timberlakes-2020-pushes-towards-900000-for-debut-week

#2 Edited by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

I like when JT goes on Jimmy Fallon and does the history of rap skit. Selling 850K is insane, especially these days. Streaming the album for free probably helped get a lot of new people on board to buy it.

#3 Edited by Demoskinos (13918 posts) -

@vinny_says: The guy is insane. He can be funny, act and sing. Its downright disgusting how much talent the guy has.

#4 Edited by Aegon (5125 posts) -

I like quite a bit of his songs and think he's a pretty talented performer, but the new album isn't really doing much for me. Almost sounded like different versions of the same song throughout.

Edit: I don't know...maybe I'll change my mind about some of it after listening a few times.

#5 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4036 posts) -
#6 Posted by Milkman (16233 posts) -

It's very good. No one else makes pop music like this anymore.

#7 Edited by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

I'm pretty convinced this will be the Album to beat this year unless Lady Gaga's Artpop. There have to be some JT fans here right?

in terms of sales you're probably right. but in terms of quality? i dunno man...the knife and daft punk both have albums still to come, and my bloody valentine surprised us all with a helluva record. but whatever- jt deserves all the success he gets. it's a fantastic record that has long legs; 'blue ocean floor' is my favourite. he is incredibly talented...as evidenced by the following:

2.15 is one of the great pop songs of our lifetime. also love the jay z/kanye tease at 6.00.

#8 Edited by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Great year for music so far. I really like the album and JT. So no, you're not alone.

EDIT: Only complaint is that the songs are a bit too long.

#9 Posted by realph (251 posts) -

I think the albums great. Not a skippable track on there! Recommend it!

#10 Edited by MariachiMacabre (6941 posts) -

It's a pretty good album but Daft Punk's new album could very well be the best this year if it's as good as its title. And Mastodon is working on an album now and that could be out by the end of the year. If they continue their crazy streak of quality, that's another heavyweight contender for album of the year. I rarely find pop to be all that exciting or entertaining compared to other genres, however.

#11 Posted by StarvingGamer (7584 posts) -

I will never understand popular music.

Carry on.

#12 Edited by cmblasko (1011 posts) -

I'm not into his kind of music so if everyone in America wants to say that he is some genius musician, then fine, I will default to the majority's opinion. However, I will NEVER buy into the opinion that he is good at comedy or acting. He's got just enough charisma to hide his complete mediocrity in those two disciplines.

#13 Edited by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

And Mastodon is working on an album now and that could be out by the end of the year. If they continue their crazy streak of quality, that's another heavyweight contender for album of the year.

this is getting OT, but did you like 'the hunter?' i thought it was alright, but it didn't do it for me as much as 'crack the skye.' i'm not one of those IT-ISN'T-BROOTAL-ENOUGH kids, i just thought it was a little bland. and i won't even mention 'blood mountain' (oops), because that record is beyond reproach.

edit- just realized i'm asking about mastodon in a jt thread. i love music.

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6941 posts) -

@mellotronrules: sorry I'm on mobile so I (still...) can't reply on the forums, but I've loved pretty much everything they've done. I like unique music and they've managed to make really unique albums every time. The Hunter is great because it's completely insane. It's so weird and it managed to not take itself seriously, which is weird for good metal. And Stargasm is one of their best songs period.

#15 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2446 posts) -

Does Blue Ocean Floor remind anyone else of Braid? It's all I can think of when I hear it!

#16 Edited by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: ah- coming at it from that perspective, i could see why you would like it so much. i also appreciate that they decided to keep moving and try new things, it just didn't stay in my rotation for whatever reason. i'll come back to it, however. i was most drawn to the brann tracks- 'creature lives' and 'dry bone valley' are pretty fantastic. and funnily enough 'the sparrow' was deeply moving- that's probably the one that stuck with me the most.

speaking of moving (AND GETTING BACK OT)- did yall see the video for 'mirrors.' it's dedicated to his grandparents- they were apparently married for 60 some odd years, and then one died leaving the other behind. completely recontextualizes the tune for me- and although i still don't like the vocal arrangement in the chorus, the back-half/dance routine is pretty fantastic (and i'm not one usually drawn to choreography).

edit- here's the vid. i won't embed to avoid youtube spam.

http://youtu.be/uuZE_IRwLNI

#17 Posted by Nilazz (606 posts) -

He is one helluva artist.

#18 Edited by JacDG (2113 posts) -

@vinny_says: The guy is insane. He can be funny, act and sing. Its downright disgusting how much talent the guy has.

If he and Jiggle did a song together, every woman on this very planet, and half of the men would be pregnant. Fact.

#19 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Because sales=quality

#20 Posted by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

^and obscurity=quality

(the new kvelertak isn't so great, bro. that first one is favourite of mine, but the new one resides in dangerous proximity to unremarkable cock-rock).

#22 Edited by fetchfox (1163 posts) -

I can appreciate Justin as an artist and entertainer, but not quite my taste. The new Daft Punk album is what I'm really drooling over, I get all silly over them.

@mellotronrules: I've only listened to The Hunter (a friend suggested i to me), what else from Mastodon do you recommend? I don't really listen to metal, but I like The Mars Volta and a few songs from Shining.

#23 Posted by owack6 (210 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

And Mastodon is working on an album now and that could be out by the end of the year. If they continue their crazy streak of quality, that's another heavyweight contender for album of the year.

this is getting OT, but did you like 'the hunter?' i thought it was alright, but it didn't do it for me as much as 'crack the skye.' i'm not one of those IT-ISN'T-BROOTAL-ENOUGH kids, i just thought it was a little bland. and i won't even mention 'blood mountain' (oops), because that record is beyond reproach.

edit- just realized i'm asking about mastodon in a jt thread. i love music.

Yep i agree "The Hunter" didn't bring the same quality that "Crack the sky" had through the whole album.

And on topic i never liked anything JT made in movies or music its way too mellow for pop music, hes songs feel overproduced but i haven't really listened to anything he did too many times so its more of a gut reaction.

In other news: DAFT PUNK NEW ALBUM!!! WHO CARES ABOUT ANYTHING ANYMORE?

#24 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Yeah, he is ok I guess. Word on the street is it's not his best album.

#25 Posted by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

I can appreciate Justin as an artist and entertainer, but not quite my taste. The new Daft Punk album is what I'm really drooling over, I get all silly over them.

@mellotronrules: I've only listened to The Hunter (a friend suggested i to me), what else from Mastodon do you recommend? I don't really listen to metal, but I like The Mars Volta and a few songs from Shining.

ha- the mastodon subtopic continues! if you like mars volta, i'd probably say start with 'crack the skye'- it's arguably the prog-iest of mastodon's work. and if you dig that (and don't mind dipping into something slightly more aggressive and noodle-ish), check out 'blood mountain,' because that album is fan-fucking-tastic. general rule of thumb with mastodon is the further back into their catalogue you go, the more meat-and-potatoes sludge and metal it gets.

#26 Edited by Davvyk (686 posts) -

I remember going to see him live twice on his last tour. I was the subject of an insane amount of stick at school but i didn't care one bit. He was superb.

#27 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

I liked it a lot, early favorite for my favorite album of the year.

#28 Posted by Pr1mus (3528 posts) -

I haven't listened to it yet but will soon. Nice to hear people being positive so far. It will be hard to top the last one.

#29 Edited by MildMolasses (3197 posts) -

@aegon said:

I like quite a bit of his songs and think he's a pretty talented performer, but the new album isn't really doing much for me. Almost sounded like different versions of the same song throughout.

Edit: I don't know...maybe I'll change my mind about some of it after listening a few times.

I feel that. It's OK, but not great. I do like Spaceship Coupe because it sounds like a Lonely Island song. Oddly, my two favourite tracks are the deluxe version bonus tracks (Dress On, Body Count) so i would probably be majorly disappointed if I only had the regular edition

#30 Edited by RedCream (704 posts) -

Good for him. I'm a fan myself but the whole album I think lean more towards pop than R&B which kinda bummed me out a bit. Still, a great album.

#31 Posted by MildMolasses (3197 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

ha- the mastodon subtopic continues! if you like mars volta, i'd probably say start with 'crack the skye'- it's arguably the prog-iest of mastodon's work. and if you dig that (and don't mind dipping into something slightly more aggressive and noodle-ish), check out 'blood mountain,' because that album is fan-fucking-tastic. general rule of thumb with mastodon is the further back into their catalogue you go, the more meat-and-potatoes sludge and metal it gets.

Oh I want to play too. Everything @mellotronrules said is correct. And, although I'm probably the only person to think this, I would skip their Leviathan album. Its critically praised, but its the only thing they've done that I don't like at all. Its not as heavy as Remission and not as interesting as Blood Mountain or Crack the Skye, all of which are quite spectacular

#32 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Didnt even know he was still making music. I cant deny that the man is talented but it's not my cup of tea.

#33 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I feel like I missed the point when Mr. Timberlake became a celebrated recording artist. He's an incredibly talented entertainer, sure, but his music's just always come off as a watered down amalgam of better pop/r&b artists' work.

#34 Edited by TheHT (10324 posts) -

Yeah, dude can sing.

#35 Posted by fetchfox (1163 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

I'm no fan of heavy or aggressive metal, but I'll check out your other suggestions, thanks.

#36 Edited by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

@funkasaurasrex said:

I feel like I missed the point when Mr. Timberlake became a celebrated recording artist. He's an incredibly talented entertainer, sure, but his music's just always come off as a watered down amalgam of better pop/r&b artists' work.

i mean, putting aside all the performance aspects of his work (the choreography, the live show, the singing, etc.)- his albums are kinda like madonna for me at this point...it's a place for producers to showcase their state-of-the-art take on pop music. and i've always had huge respect for timbaland...sure, he was over-saturated for a stretch in the mid-aughts there, but it was for a reason...the dude was responsible for arguably the majority of the best pop music of that era (and a decent portion of the time preceding it).

and regardless of where one stands on his personal contributions to the songs and final product (jt undoubtedly has a team of writers and producers)- based on his live show and appearances, the kid has ability. and his records are actually legitimately surprising- i won't get into a block of text treatise here, but i found the interludes/transitions of futuresex/lovesounds really unique for a pop record, and this new one has quite a few extended 8ish minute long songs as well. as a guy who likes his share of prog and post rock, that isn't all that special...but for what appears to be a platinum selling pop record, that IS somewhat unique.

edit- tl;dr- have another listen to this. http://youtu.be/QUuKvHHt8Sk

sounds like your typical club tune about hooking up. but then at 3:28 that modded out guitar comes in, and the hook takes on an entirely new meaning. really fantastic stuff.

#37 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

@funkasaurasrex said:

i mean, putting aside all the performance aspects of his work (the choreography, the live show, the singing, etc.)- his albums are kinda like madonna for me at this point...it's a place for producers to showcase their state-of-the-art take on pop music. and i've always had huge respect for timbaland...sure, he was over-saturated for a stretch in the mid-aughts there, but it was for a reason...the dude was responsible for arguably the majority of the best pop music of that era (and a decent portion of the time preceding it).

and regardless of where one stands on his personal contributions to the songs and final product (jt undoubtedly has a team of writers and producers)- based on his live show and appearances, the kid has ability. and his records are actually legitimately surprising- i won't get into a block of text treatise here, but i found the interludes/transitions of futuresex/lovesounds really unique for a pop record, and this new one has quite a few extended 8ish minute long songs as well. as a guy who likes his share of prog and post rock, that isn't all that special...but for what appears to be a platinum selling pop record, that IS somewhat unique.

edit- tl;dr- have another listen to this. http://youtu.be/QUuKvHHt8Sk

sounds like your typical club tune about hooking up. but then at 3:28 that modded out guitar comes in, and the hook takes on an entirely new meaning. really fantastic stuff.

That's fair, I guess. I've respect for Timbaland as well, but I think his attempts to break out of Hip Hop and into other genres of music has seen, well, mixed results at best.

For the record, I don't think JT is offensively terrible or anything and he certainly tries to make pop music that's outside of what's generally shoveled onto the radio, though I don't think he's particularly successful at it. It's pretty clear that he takes a lot of inspiration from pop/r&b superstars like MJ or Prince, but when all is said and done I don't think he's anywhere near as creative as either of those guys were in their prime.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much from pop stars though and should just shut up and listen to my old ass vinyl like the fucking dinosaur I am. I'm totally ok with that.

#38 Posted by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -
#39 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

That Girl is an awesome track. Its my favourite song off of the album. And theres gonna be a part 2 to this album. 10 tracks + 10 tracks = the 20/20 experience

#40 Posted by Andorski (5114 posts) -

I wouldn't say that shit's fire... but it's a damn fine warm glow. Damn fine.

#41 Edited by bitchypixels (67 posts) -

Unpopular opinion time: This album was quite a disappointment for me. There are some aspects that I enjoy about each of the songs but at the end of the day every song is extremely underwhelming. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for him and I support his decision to make music again, but maybe he should have tried to have one cohesive album rather than trying to make 10 "hits". Good for him, though.

#42 Posted by OneManX (1664 posts) -

Going through it now via Spotify and I have to say I am liking what I am hearing so far. Nothing really sinking it's teeth into me like Future Sex/Love Sounds did, but I am enjoying the vibe, some good cruising music.

#43 Posted by OneManX (1664 posts) -

I think that entire album (FutureSex/LoveSounds) will stand the test of time, lot of great songs on that one. Yeah he isn't Prince or MJ, but there are only one of them, so it's not saying much against him.