Kanye's Yeezus

• 61 results
TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

So, Yeezus is out. Whatcha think? Favourite songs? Is it better than Dark Fantasy? Are they even comparable?

I am digging the fuck out of this album. It's just goddamn RAW. I still haven't heard it enough times to have a favourite, but "I am a God" is pretty damn sweet.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jillsandwich

No, definitely not better than Dark Fantasy. The pattern at this point seems to be:

Kanye puts out an album that is just immensely appealing right from the get-go (Graduation)

Kanye puts out a really fucking weird album that takes a few years for people to get (808s and Heartbreak)

Repeat. MBDTF was Graduation, Yeezus is 808s. Kind of makes sense since Yeezus is kind of a dark, mirror-world version of 808s.

So, it's a really weird album, but I like it. Certain songs are growing on me. I fucking hated "I Am a God" initially, but now I kind of dig it. Standouts are definitely Blood on the Leaves, Hold my Liquor, Black Skinhead and New Slaves. I guess my big complaint is that featured artists are criminally misused on this album. You got Frank Ocean to hum like half a bar at the end of New Slaves? Uh, thank you? I know that you don't have to have some soulful hook each and every time you get Frank Ocean in a song, but that thing in particular just felt pointless.

But whatever, it'll definitely grow on me. But right now I'm just stoked about the new Jay-Z album and the inevitable Watch the Throne sequel.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ThePickle

I'm In It, Bound 2, and Blood on the Leaves are perfect Summer Jam™ material. The rest of it is solid. Was very disappointed in the version of Black Skinhead though. Someone took out the screams and the line about LeBron which really deflated that song.

And no, it isn't fucking Death Grips, stop saying it is.

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

First listen: WTF?

Second: Ok...

Third: Fucking awesome!

ChosenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ChosenOne

I'm at the part in bold, and wasnt really motivated to go back to it, but maybe I will now. I really liked MBDTF and (parts of) Watch The Throne, but I really didnt care for (to put it mildly) 808s & Heartbreak and this seems more in that vein.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't it bad enough he just unleashed the anti Christ upon the world?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's pretty good so far but nothing close to MBDTF. Maybe it'll grow on me but MBDTF took one listen and became one of my all-time favorites.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By amlabella

I'm liking it more and more with each listen. The first time was pretty baffling though, it's certainly different from a lot of his other stuff. Surprisingly enough the song with the most autotune singing - Blood on the Leaves - is my favorite on the album. And I'm someone who wasn't a big fan of 808s & Heartbreak. Also have to highlight New Slaves, that might be one of his all-time best songs from a lyrical standpoint.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I CAN'T HANDLE NO LIQUOR BUT DEEZ BITCHES CAN'T HANDLE ME

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pompouspizza

I have listened to it a couple of times now and I really really like it. I can't say I think it's better than MBDTF because it's one of the best albums I have ever heard, but I do love that he always does something different and not what's expected of him. I have always liked his music but I started really liking it when he released 808's and heartbreak.

Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Titl

I'm into it, quite a lot! I love the experimenting shit he's got going on with that album..I don't think i could compare it to MBDTF though. They're not meant to be compared, i don't think. i absolutely love Hold My Liquor, Blood on the Leaves, Bound 2, I'm in It, Guilt Trip (loving the Pusha T sampling), the album is so short, that it almost feels like an EP, or a mixtape!

Also, i would recommend Mac Miller's WMWTSO, i've had it on repeat ever since i felt like i needed a break from Yeezus.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's no 2 Chainz.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I don't think you can compare this to his last album. MBDTF was near perfection on the part of Kanye. How do you top perfection? You dont. You pivot and release something wildly different instead of trying to directly top yourself. Its a dark and deeply personal album that really just assaults you from all angles its a perfect 40 minute maelstrom of intensity that ends right before it starts to become too much. My only complaints are that I dont think they used Frank Ocean very well. Its going to be a very polarizing album simply because this album is about as different from most modern rap as you can get. If anything I think Kanye has indeed cemented his place in Hip-Hop and Rap. His ability to entirely reinvent himself from album to album makes him stand way above the pack.

Kevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This album makes a lot of sense in evolution of current hip hop. Tyler the creator getting a lot of main stream play and EL-P continuing to release his dark and raw albums really show where the influence for Kanye came from. The big thing is this is way better than anything Tyler the creator has ever done, and i would compare it very favorably to EL-P's Cancer for Cure all while being harder and softer at all the right times

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think I'm going to collect all my thoughts into a blog post but the short version: it's real good. The comparsions to MBDTF are kind of useless. It's a completely different album.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Bound 2, New Slaves, and I Am A God are pretty great.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Wasn't paying attention to this release or any new music this year for that matter. But with the consensus of this thread being that it's really dark and only forty minutes long, I'm really interested now.

pepperzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's growing on me. New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves are the standouts in my mind.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After a lot, a lot, of listening I think I've come to the conclusion that it is good, but not great. I like most of the production on here, and Bound 2 along with Blood on The Leaves are excellent songs, however the lyrics fall mostly flat and the there aren't a lot of great quotes in the way I usually expect from a Kanye album.

Born Sinner >>>> Yeezus.

Avatar image for jediknight00719
jediknight00719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By jediknight00719

I'm really enjoying it. I think i read somewhere that someone called Yeezus "808s and Heartbreaks on Cocaine". I think thats the most apt way to explain the album.

While the first 4 songs which were produced by Daft punk are good. I really like "On Sight" where he just changes to sample out of nowhere.

"Black Skinhead" will be the new "power"/"No church for the wild" where every trailer will use it. Its already being used now. http://youtu.be/iszwuX1AK6A

"I'm in it" is an amazing song production wise. Lyrically kind of creepy/sexual. But the beat, when the beat gets faster and you hear a dog bark and a girl moaning in a dancehall type beat. Super crazy.

But for me the standout track is "blood on the leaves" Using a Nina Simone "strange fruit" sample and some bombastic TNGHT "R u ready" horns is one of the amazing beats he has made in a long time. Despite a nice piano and thumping horns clashing on a beat, kanye singing about a kind of sad situation where he has a one night stand with a gold digger.

Bound 2 sounds out of place, but its that old Kanye sound so its really good.

I'm digging the hell out of it.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By BoG

Kanye West is a god.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Nev

It's the first Kanye album to not grab me right away. I've only put in one listen, but it came off as boring as hell, which really bums me out. I really hope it's just an album that grows on me.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nev said:

It's the first Kanye album to not grab me right away. I've only put in one listen, but it came off as boring as hell, which really bums me out. I really hope it's just an album that grows on me.

Sounds like Daft Punk's latest album. Boring as hell.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nev said:

Heh, funny how that goes. Random Access Memories is my favorite album of the year so far. First Daft Punk album I've actually liked!

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nev said:

@commandergermanshepard said:

@nev said:

Heh, funny how that goes. Random Access Memories is my favorite album of the year so far. First Daft Punk album I've actually liked!

That's cause it's not very Daft Punky.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

My Dark Twisted Fantasy was my first Kanye album and I absolutely love it. Was kinda disappointed that he basically reuses the same themes and ideas.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

This is the funniest album he's made since The College Dropout. I Am A God is fucking hysterical.

I wish the mopey part of the album were stronger. 1-5 and 10 are my favorites.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RobotHamster

Fuck Kanye, after his college dropout years its been terrible like the majority of the current hip-hop. It's ridiculous to me how we went from the golden age of hip-hop in the 90s to the shit that's out now...

And did listen to a few of the tracks and I still feel the same, they have the same problems that I don't like.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

"I just talked to Jesus. He said what up, Yeezus? I said, Shit I'm chillin. 'Tryin to stack these millions.."

'Send It Up' is THE CRAZIEST.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By ThePickle

"I just talked to Jesus. He said what up, Yeezus? I said, Shit I'm chillin. 'Tryin to stack these millions.."

'Send It Up' is THE CRAZIEST.

Fuckin a right it is. Saw a lot of people hating on it and got confused. It's one of my favorites.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The production is incredible. Slick and dark and spare. Love it.

Kanye, as an MC, is super boring and vainglorious and tiresome. He's always had modest flow but I'm really tired of his schtick. 'Blood on the Leaves' is the best track, because it feels meaningful (killer sample, too). I don't know. I wish these beats were under the rhymes of someone who had something interesting to say.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lyrics are incredibly lazy right across the new album. The only song I don't actively dislike is Hold my Liquor.

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to say this album is like a really weird blend of coffee...there's a chance you might hate it, but you have GOT to try this coffee.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

It's bland but if it gets more of you fuckers to listen to industrial hiphop, then Kayne is doing God's work.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Barrock

@robothamster said:

Fuck Kanye, after his college dropout years its been terrible like the majority of the current hip-hop. It's ridiculous to me how we went from the golden age of hip-hop in the 90s to the shit that's out now...

And did listen to a few of the tracks and I still feel the same, they have the same problems that I don't like.

There's good stuff out there, you just have to look. I'm still listening to Aesop Rock's album from last year, same with Killer Mike. Next week is Run the Jewels. The Demigodz album from March is great. Give "Dead in the Middle" or "Raider's Cap" a spin. It'll make you feel better.

Oh and the hip hop album of the year Czarface. Give that a spin.

Kazzenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like Death Grips.

That's really the biggest thing I'm taking from this album tbh. It's not bad and honestly I feel like he will never top or be near the level of MBDTF, so maybe that's why I'm not hating it (that and it sounds like Death Grips)

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: Good choices I know there's good stuff out there but I guess I meant in a more mainstream sense, Killer Mike had one of the best albums last year but was over looked by so many people. And I'll give those a listen and check them out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By Humanity

I was hoping this would be pretty hardcore but the lyrics and flow doesn't quite catch up to how great the beats are.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EuanDewar

I really like it and its totally ok to reference Death Grips when talking about it. The album is very clearly influenced by experimental noise hip-hop in spots and who are the most prominent group in that genre today? Death Grips. Its a totally fair and relevant comparison even if you cant say for sure that he was specifically influenced by them.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still in the first listening "WTF this is just noise! And this dude took narcissism to a whole new level."-stage.

Daftronaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This. Although I don't think it's as good as MBDTF or Graduation. I still get what kind of album he was trying to create.

Blood on the leaves, guilt trip and new slaves are probably my favourites.

trav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By trav

When it hits, it hits hard. But when it misses, it's so close that the strike out makes it even more disappointing. Most of my issues with it are the schizophrenic feel to the production. There are a number of songs with great musical ideas that just aren't given room to breathe, or are shoved together without very much sense to the combination. It almost feels a little rushed, in that regard. Like Kanye had too many ideas and just wanted to get them all out. Lyrically, it's okay.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DeF

College Dropout & Late Registration > all

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it sounds industrial and a bit gothic.

his lyrics can be fucking great sometimes.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By Sanious

I listened to the songs that Daft Punk had production in and none of them really grabbed me, so I really didn't bother with the rest. Then again I am not the hugest Kanye West fan. Some of the songs just felt like a mess.

Still, he has my favorite music video of all time.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sploder

It's great. Nowhere near MBDTF, I think that album is a masterpiece, but I really like it. Send it Up is fucking crazy, it just sounds like an alarm going off. It reminds me of The Fever.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah first few listens i don't rate it... Very boring atm. Coles album is far better. Maybe it'll grow on me though.