Karen Chu is leaving the Geekbox

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

This week will be her last episode. She has been on sporadically since Good Job Brain...well even before then. I really enjoyed listening to her on Legendary Thread. It's sad to see one of the original geekboxers leave. Does anyone else listen to the geekbox?? I would recommend it if you are looking for another "gaming" podcast.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By nerdsbeware

I did for a while because I liked a lot of Ryan's thoughts and hate on everything haha. But then Adam just kinda got to annoying and over the top. Karen was easily my favorite, any reason why she is leaving?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I used to. I stopped listening probably three weeks after Lost ended. Then about two months later Jeff Green was on so I listened to that one and they were still talking about Lost. It seemed like they had nothing to say about but still felt the need to fill time and produce content so they kept going over old topics. That kind of disrespect for the listeners time made me stop. Karen was the good one though. It seemed like she actually had things to say.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Miketakon

Dang. I used to listen to Geekbox got tired of Adam though.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Pardon my ignorance, I have never heard of Karen Chu nor the Geekbox before.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I used to listen to Geekbox religiously, but slowly, over time, it just became irritating and annoying. It was Adam, but it was also the rest of the show as well. Same way I feel about Arthur Gies, dude just pisses me off. He somehow manages to make me angry even when I agree with him. Neat trick.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I used to listen to the Geekbox, and I'm not sure why because a lot of what they discussed, like comic books and Lost, didn't interest me at all. Maybe I just listened because of Ryan Scott.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nerdsbeware

I always felt Arthur came off as too critical on Rebel FM, to the point where it was like he just hated everything. I felt the same way about Brian Leahy on Weekend Confirmed. I like both their written work though. Odd, either way, yea Adam on Geekbox was a deal breaker.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Ryan still doesn't say anything on his own show. I try to listen, I just can't stand Adam either.

The Comedy Button has the right type of class, I think.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mosespippy

@mtcantor: I've come around on Arthur over the years. I used to hate him when he was working at TeamXbox and IGN. I may not like his opinions about games but his opinions on games media, both journalism and criticism, is sound. Enough so that I'll trust the content of the site he works for, because I know that if he didn't agree with the way that organization was operating then he wouldn't work there anymore.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hardindr

Been a long time Geekbox listener, sorry to hear this. Wonder if they will get someone to replace her?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm still catching up on old Geekbox episodes. Why is she leaving?

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By envane

karen chow aint no asian

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly she's barely on anymore so I don't really care. She seems a bit whiny anyways. Actually I find fault with all of them, but I still listen. Go figure. Ryan is super condescending, one of the other guys has absolutely no logic to arguments, etc.

I always felt Arthur came off as too critical on Rebel FM, to the point where it was like he just hated everything. I felt the same way about Brian Leahy on Weekend Confirmed. I like both their written work though. Odd, either way, yea Adam on Geekbox was a deal breaker.

That's part of the love/hate thing I have with Arthur. I feel a lot of reviewers aren't critical enough. Sometimes I feel he goes overboard though. Little things that only he will notice, and 90% of gamers won't or don't care about. Sometimes it's good to just relax, be at ease, and enjoy a dumb, fun game.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She should take Ryan Scott with her... he's the only reason I don't listen to that show. His opinions are so hyper-condescending..

At least he doesn't talk on the Comedy Button, so I can ignore his existence

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what the hell

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't listen to the Geekbox (not enough pizza whistles and/or swazzle stars), but I like her on Good Job Brain.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why couldn't it have been Adam?

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Miketakon

@mtcantor said:

I used to listen to Geekbox religiously, but slowly, over time, it just became irritating and annoying. It was Adam, but it was also the rest of the show as well. Same way I feel about Arthur Gies, dude just pisses me off. He somehow manages to make me angry even when I agree with him. Neat trick.

I feel the same about Patrick.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who left what now?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@mtcantor said:

I feel the same about Patrick.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wait what? Why is she leaving? She was supposed to be on every episode this year!

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't listened to Geekbox in years. I just find Ryan insufferable.

I always felt Arthur came off as too critical on Rebel FM, to the point where it was like he just hated everything. I felt the same way about Brian Leahy on Weekend Confirmed.

Arthur is a complete jackass. On the other hand, Brian Leahy was the only reason I listened to Weekend Confirmed. Once he left I was done. Garnet and Jeff Canatta just come across as insincere to me.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cutyoface

@flstyle said:

I am pretty much in the same boat.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zirilius

@flstyle said:

I am pretty much in the same boat.

Former 1UP employee and Legendary Thread personality back when 1UP was at its peak. Think she appeared on a couple of GFW radios but its been so long I can't remember.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why she is leaving. I'm guessing work and focusing on Good Job Brain. She said on twitter they were going to talk about it on this weeks podcast. Should be a sad one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to listening to Geekbox before, but I found the hosts to be annoying and unlikable.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By bibamatt

:( I listen less and less to the Geekbox these days, mainly due to the lack of Chu and the awful awfulness of Adam. Seriously, between the racist voices and the inane stories that go nowhere. Awful. I really like the two Ryans, though! I want the Scott, Chu and Higgins dream team.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nerdsbeware

@bibamatt said:

really like the two Ryans, though! I want the Scott, Chu and Higgins dream team.

Them plus Alice and Justin were the best of the Geekbox IMO.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kortex

Well, fuck.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Fearbeard

@flstyle said:

Likewise... first time I'm heard either name

kuz101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I dunno who she is either, but according to Jared rea on twitter, she just got hired by Twitch.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@flstyle said:

Likewise... first time I'm heard either name

Me three. I feel left out.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ltsmash

Unfortunate, since she seemed like the voice of reason on the Geekbox.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good things have to come to an end at some point. If you think about it, podcasting for 3+ years on one show is a pretty good run. Good luck to her as it seems like she might be leaving because of her new job at Twitch.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nerdsbeware

@jothel said:

who left what now?

Brad, Giantbomb.

Purplie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Purplie

Damn, what a bummer. She was easily my favorite

DaMaJaDiZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DaMaJaDiZ

@bibamatt said:

:( I listen less and less to the Geekbox these days, mainly due to the lack of Chu and the awful awfulness of Adam. Seriously, between the racist voices and the inane stories that go nowhere. Awful. I really like the two Ryans, though! I want the Scott, Chu and Higgins dream team.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Adam really lowers the standard of discussion in the room on such a consistent basis, I often wonder what kind of brain trauma he suffers from. I've grown to appreciate some of what he brings to the table, but it's been a real struggle. Karen had always been the counter to the the head shaking nonsense that the other three spout consistently. Still, they've had several shows without her already, so I don't see much changing. I will however be less enthusiastic to download and listen to whatever is left of the show with her departure. Good luck at Twitch.tv to her. She'll be missed.