• 52 results
#1 Posted by Shaka999 (481 posts) -

I downloaded the album before I went to class today, and so far (I've listened to the first 7 tracks as of now) and I'm really enjoying it. I'd probably say the Backseat Freestyle is my favorite song so far, but hopefully it only gets better.

Also, side topic: I've got O.verly D.edicated (which I really like), so where do I go from here? Should I get Section.80 (or whatever), or just start grabbing individual tracks?

#2 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

I've heard so much about that guy but never heard any songs. I Should better get to it.

#3 Posted by UlquioKani (1059 posts) -

I really like the new album, I've listened to it a couple of times now. I really like that it has a good direction and every song feels important and has a purpose. The skits are well done and help to deliver a good story. I don't think the beats he uses on here are as good as Section.80 but overall, a solid album. I think I prefer Section.80 and I think this is probably my least favourite TDE release this year but that's mostly due to the instrumentals the others chose.

#4 Posted by Shaka999 (481 posts) -

@Deusx: I personally know a lot of fans so they told me what I should start with. If you've got the free time, I recommend ADHD, Rigamortis (with or without Busta Rhymes), and Swimming Pools. Those are the more popular songs, so start there and then keep checking out other songs. Definitely worth it IMO

#5 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I haven't listened to any Kendrick yet, but my brother's declaring this new album his favorite of the year. Though he acknowledges the potential for Trapped in the Closet 23-45 (or whatever) to ruin all other musical plans if they all come out this year. Glad other people like it and my brother's not insane.

#6 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

@Shaka999 said:

@Deusx: I personally know a lot of fans so they told me what I should start with. If you've got the free time, I recommend ADHD, Rigamortis (with or without Busta Rhymes), and Swimming Pools. Those are the more popular songs, so start there and then keep checking out other songs. Definitely worth it IMO

Thanks man, I definitely will!

#7 Edited by JacDG (2126 posts) -

I can't buy it yet, stupid fucking Itunes! I had to get by with the new P.O.S. album today. If I can't buy the thing tomorrow I'll go ahead and torrent the thing, until I am able to purchase it. My expectations for the album are very, very high though, Section.80 is a near flawless album in my opinion, and one of my favorites records of all time, so I almost expect disappointment. So @Shaka999: go get Section.80.... now, you could also listen to Kendrick Lamar, which is a free mixtape and it contains some awesome songs as well.

#8 Posted by Shaka999 (481 posts) -

@JacDG: Thanks for the suggestions! I've already heard most of Section.80, so I'll probably swipe that next. I bought the deluxe version of GKMC album MP3 off Amazon for only 10 bucks, so maybe give that a shot?

#9 Posted by JacDG (2126 posts) -

@Shaka999 said:

@JacDG: Thanks for the suggestions! I've already heard most of Section.80, so I'll probably swipe that next. I bought the deluxe version of GKMC album MP3 off Amazon for only 10 bucks, so maybe give that a shot?

I can't buy stuff off of Amazon MP3 because I live in the wrong place, sadly. I'll have to wait..

#10 Posted by theveej (831 posts) -

The Compton song with Dre is fantastic. I haven't heard Dre be this good for 12 years now. The album is great, but personally I prefer harder beats and a lot of songs have a R&B/softer beat to them. I half expected Frank Ocean to be on half of the track just from the beats. It sucks cause whenever I've heard Kendrick go hard, he has absolutely killed it. Case and point Remix of ridin round town:

Even in the album, whenever he goes hard, he goe fucking hard.

#11 Posted by UlquioKani (1059 posts) -
#12 Posted by Meltac (2002 posts) -

Haven't received it yet, but it generally seems like people really dig it.

#13 Posted by Shaka999 (481 posts) -

@UlquioKani: I don't like bitching about reviews but how does something like that get published? A one sentence review followed by a score? And since when did Lady Gaga have any involvement with the album? I have too many questions and not enough answers.

#14 Edited by UlquioKani (1059 posts) -

@Shaka999: I like how it says that he is Chicago based

Edit: They fixed it

#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
#16 Posted by Cianyx (50 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

Though he acknowledges the potential for Trapped in the Closet 23-45 (or whatever) to ruin all other musical plans if they all come out this year. Glad other people like it and my brother's not insane.

Considering that Trapped in the Closet is the pinnacle of human achievement, that's a pretty fair statement

#17 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Picking up the deluxe edition at Best Buy tomorrow, I've heard three songs from the album and I liked them.

#18 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
#19 Posted by UlquioKani (1059 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers: They had it fixed before but now it's wrong again

#20 Edited by JacDG (2126 posts) -

Well, I've gone through the album a few times now, and I'm pretty sure this will end up being my favorite album of the year, I really really enjoyed the story telling on this one, and besides the song with Drake and some aspects of Real, it was a dope album for sure. I don't think I'll rate it as highly as Section.80, but it's an incredibly cohesive piece of work, Kendrick will probably end up among the all time greats if he keeps dropping music with this level of quality. I also think Backseat Freestyle is fucking hilarious.

Ps. I'm a Kendrick Lamar stan, so take everything I say with a grain of salt... still loved it tough!

#21 Posted by verbalmedal (55 posts) -

This is my favorite album of the year by far. Kendrick is something hip-hop has been missing for awhile

#22 Posted by FLYmeatwad (154 posts) -

One of the year's best, Right now my top 5 looks as such:

1. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do

2. Willis Earl Beal - Acousmatic Sorcery

3. Ab-Soul - Control System

4. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

5. Joey Bada$$ - 1999

The best songs on it are probably "Backseat Freestyle," "Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst," "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe," and "m.A.A.d city"

#23 Posted by Turbyne (98 posts) -

I think the album is pretty great, despite that Poetic Justice song with Drake. Dude sucks.

Maad City is probably my favorite song off the album, I like how the beat switches, and I find the hook in the first part amusing.

Compton with Dre is also a great song, I just wonder if Dre writes his own stuff nowadays. Even a while back it seemed like he never wrote a damn word on his albums. Either way it makes me more excited for a modern version of Detox, I don't think Dre had his shit together for a long time.

#24 Posted by Shaka999 (481 posts) -

@theveej:Now that I've finished the album, I completely agree. I really dig the album, but I wish he had more songs that he goes in on. Also, I see your video and I raise you this:

#25 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

it's growing on me. like a lot. it's incredibly well written.

i still think life is good is better, but only because nas is a veteran in the game and it represents yet another peak in his career.

i love that kendrick has refused to compromise who he is in any way. definitely unique among the pantheon of aftermath releases in that regard.

#26 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@Shaka999 said:

I downloaded the album before I went to class today, and so far (I've listened to the first 7 tracks as of now) and I'm really enjoying it. I'd probably say the Backseat Freestyle is my favorite song so far, but hopefully it only gets better.

Also, side topic: I've got O.verly D.edicated (which I really like), so where do I go from here? Should I get Section.80 (or whatever), or just start grabbing individual tracks?

get section.80. and you should start delving into the other members of t.d.e. too. download ab-soul's control system and schoolboy q's habits and contradictions or setbacks and you'll be set.

#27 Posted by UlquioKani (1059 posts) -

I redact my earlier comment.

It is the best album released this year

#28 Posted by Milkman (16810 posts) -

It's fantastic. I didn't even love Section.80 all that much and thought it was kind of overrated. But this album completely blew me away.

#29 Posted by Somadude (549 posts) -

I'm actually listening to it as I post this. And I've gotta say, it's darn near perfect, definitely better than Section .80.

#30 Posted by felakuti4life (145 posts) -

It surprised me a lot because it's way ballsier and weirder than section.80. It also has a lot of clever little things peppered into it. Also, Hit boy and Just Blaze snapped.

#31 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

It lives up to all the crazy people claiming it is this generation's Illmatic.

It is very good, probably the best album released this year, and I doubted anything could top Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music. Kendrick is on point, the wordplay is sharp, the narratives are poignant, the skits are well realized, the beats are great and that mAAd City song with MC Eiht....holy shit. Pretty much everything a Kendrick fan would hope for; it's incredibly hard to be disappointed by this.

BTW I don't think Illmatic is the end all be all of rap music, if anything I prefer It Was Written & Stillmatic.

#32 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

The Art of Peer Pressure is my favorite off the new album. Great album overall.

#33 Posted by triviaman09 (802 posts) -

It's an incredible, cohesive album with a strong narrative and very few tracks that don't work. Most albums have a few tracks that seem out of place or tonally disparate from the rest of the material. GKMC avoids that with the possible exception of the last track, "Compton."

It's also very different from Section.80, but you should take a look at that album anyway.

#34 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (618 posts) -

Dat hook in m.A.A.d city right

#35 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

I'm not finished with it yet but it's an incredibly well produced and written rap album, especially coming from a major label. My only problem with it is that it's a little too chill and R&B influenced for my taste. I prefer when rappers go for your fucking throat. But that's not Kendrick's fault. Dude made a crazy narrative album.

#36 Posted by Ricerx (64 posts) -

Love the hype and the album

#37 Posted by dragonwizard (28 posts) -

I like the album a lot, Backseat Freestyle is definitely the one on there I've been listening to the most. I probably like Section.80 more right now but this one might grow on me.

#38 Posted by Shaka999 (481 posts) -

You know, the more & more I listen to the album, the more & more I appreciate it.

Also, thanks to everyone who recommended Section.80, cause that shit is amazing.

#39 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Great album, dude got even more conceptual on his major label debut which I wasn't expecting and really respect. Maybe (probably) my album of the year, hip-hop album of the year for sure.

My only gripe was I wish Soul was on here, dude would have demolished the backseat freestyle beat hard as fuck.

#40 Posted by jmood88 (394 posts) -

I'm not a Kendrick Lamar fan but I like the album. The hype is getting out of control though.

#41 Edited by jmood88 (394 posts) -

@verbalmedal said:

This is my favorite album of the year by far. Kendrick is something hip-hop has been missing for awhile

No he's not. Major label mainstream hip-hop, maybe, but good artists have been around for awhile.

#42 Edited by hustlerlt (330 posts) -

This is definitely one of the best albums of the year. Not just rap, but music in general. If you just heard songs like Backseat Freestyle or Poetic Justice, you might think its just another typical rap album, but you really have to listen to it as a whole without skipping any interludes. It tells a story about Kendrick growing up in Compton, peer pressure from his "homies" and what that lifestyle leads to, usually death. He doesn't glamorize being in a gang, shootouts, robberies, alcoholism, drugs, which is very rare coming from a west coast rapper, who is starting to break into the mainstream. Best songs are probably The Art of Peer Pressure, Swimming Pools, M.A.A.D. City, Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst. Also to the OP, if you like Kendrick, then you should definitely pick up Section .80. It was one of the best, if not the best, albums of the year.

P.S. that NME review is hilarious. You can easily tell that the reviewer just skimmed through the album without listening to the lyrics at all.

#43 Posted by Master_Funk (733 posts) -

Best Hip Hop album since MBDTF. Hip-Hop storytelling at its absolute best. Even the skits are great and tie the story up nicely. Love the production on the album, especially the art of storytelling and Maad City . Sing about me/Dying of thirst is a strong contender for best song I've heard this year as well.

Definitely lived up to the hype.

This and Channel Orange are both amazing 'debut' albums.

#44 Edited by Cianyx (50 posts) -

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

I'm not finished with it yet but it's an incredibly well produced and written rap album, especially coming from a major label. My only problem with it is that it's a little too chill and R&B influenced for my taste. I prefer when rappers go for your fucking throat. But that's not Kendrick's fault. Dude made a crazy narrative album.

^I'm in the same boat as this guy. I'd probably be repping the shit out of this album if it were grittier (Sherane, MAAD City). Dude also has some weird hooks - which is part of the reason why I didn't like other songs (Money Trees, Swimming Pools)

Not buying into the hype but album its still cool

#45 Posted by EnchantedEcho (739 posts) -

I think it is a better album as a whole compared to Section 80 but, I think Section 80 has better songs. Going to see him live in December, should be dope.

#46 Posted by ChosenOne (204 posts) -

When I heard the album samples I was kind of disappointed because all the tracks seemed so downtempo, but all of that was erased once I listened to the full album. 5/5. I rate it even higher than Section 80 simply because there are songs that I skip on that album, but none on the new one. My favorite track is 'Money Trees,' but I've worn it out so much I'm at a point of diminishing returns, which sucks.

#47 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

You don't really get anything out of it if you listen to the songs independently or out of sequence. The thing as a whole is fucking amazing and vivid. Best debut since Kanye, probably. I hope he catches on.

#48 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

When I first listened to the album, I thought the first half was pretty weak.....but after listening to it a second time I enjoyed the whole package, appreciating the story more.

#49 Posted by PhilipDuck (549 posts) -

Swimming pools is my favourite track, albums cool though. Hope it sells well!

#50 Posted by Amirr86 (2 posts) -

Download ignant Feat Kendrick lamar & Vincent maggiano by Ammo tha warchild on iTunes rite now