• 107 results
#1 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

I was quite confused when my more gourmet friends got really angry at the fact that I was looking for ketchup to help the spaghetti go down better.

Apparently one does not insult pasta of any kind with the presence of ketchups.

Besides hot-dog condiment, what would I use the ketchup for, then? I saw it as a cheap and handy stand-in for better tomato sauces.

Also, these friends are foreign. I'm pretty sure that most people here have this tradition of using ketchup on spaghetti, as plebeian and farmer-like as that may be.

So, is there seriously a schism between people when it comes to ketchup on spaghetti?

#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2725 posts) -

Your friends are idiots.

#3 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I've never heard of ketchup on pasta before unless you mean mac and cheese. Why not just add salt and pepper to your sauce?

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

I once prepared pasta only to discover to late that I didn't have any sauce. Ketchup was as close a second as I could find on hand. I have no regrets.

#5 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

Get that ketchup the fuck away from spaghetti. It's an abomination of a combination and an insult to people who actually have good taste. Why would you put that on spaghetti when you could have delicious tomato sauce or some other sauce. Ketchup is fine on hotdogs, but not spaghetti.

#6 Posted by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

I like spaghetti both with and without ketchup. Sometimes you don't want to put ketchup on something cause it can easily turn into a situation where everything just tastes like ketchup and any effort put into the other flavors will be wasted, but if you like ketchup I say go for it.

Ketchup!

#7 Posted by championfetus (248 posts) -

I wouldn't use it but if you liked it who's to tell you otherwise? Eat ketchup and be merry.

#8 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

Oh god, just thinking about that makes me want to vomit, sorry dude.

#9 Posted by DeF (4922 posts) -

Before you have to eat raw spaghetti, why not?

If I have leftover pasta of any kind and there is no more sauce, I'll just use ketchup or chili sauce along with some hot sauce and throw in some curry powder or whatnot so it doesn't just just like Ketchup but in general there's nothing wrong with it.

Unless you start putting Ketchup on EVERYTHING you're fine, don't worry!

#10 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@championfetus: That's the thing. I can see how someone wouldn't understand it, but those who are against it seem rreeaallyy vehement in their disapproval and anger over this.

People make these allegories to justify their anger, like "Would you spread butter over your expensive pizza?" or "Would you pour cherry-coke into your champagne?", but I really can't see how they find ketchup on spaghetti as extreme as that. It's tomatoes (kind of, depending on quality) after all.

#11 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

@Djstyles92 said:

Get that ketchup the fuck away from spaghetti. It's an abomination of a combination and an insult to people who actually have good taste. Why would you put that on spaghetti when you could have delicious tomato sauce or some other sauce. Ketchup is fine on hotdogs, but not spaghetti.

watch out, gordon motherfucking ramsay's perusing the board

#12 Posted by JacDG (2127 posts) -

I do not like ketchup, but where I live, our version of ramen is basically spaghetti with ketchup.

#13 Posted by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

I have a friend who used to say that Ketchup was the best sauce in the world.

I once told him it was more of a seasoning, but he ignored me.

#14 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

You sir, should have been shot.

#15 Edited by CookieMonster (2423 posts) -

*spaghetti

Also, my sometimes mixes pasta with tomato soup. Just putting that out there.

#16 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

Also, I'm really not ashamed for this taste of mine, and didn't write here in hope of justifications, though I'm grateful for the silly support. I'm simply surprised over 1. How seriously offended some people are, and 2. That I had never heard of anyone objecting to this before.

#17 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

@Toms115 said:

@Djstyles92 said:

Not really, I dont know shit about food. I'm italian, so ketchup on spaghetti is an unthinkable thing to do. Everything about it is wrong to me, excuse me if I have an opinion on something.

#18 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

You're friends are right and you are wrong. That is fucking disgusting.

#19 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@CookieMonster said:

*spaghetti

Aw, crap. Thanks for pointing out the typo. Marathon essay-writing has made me blind to the silliest mistakes.

#20 Posted by imsh_pl (3298 posts) -

It depends on the quality of the spaghetti and the ketchup I guess. If I had spaghetti with bolognese sauce I wouldn't even dream of putting ketchup on it but if you're eating a quick meal consisting of spaghetti and tomato sauce and you feel like the amount of sauce you have is not enough then hey, more power to you.

#21 Edited by bybeach (4898 posts) -

I know ketchup is a tomato based condiment buuuuuuut......no F***en way. It is not the tomato based product I look for use w/spaghetti.

#22 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@imsh_pl: I of course mean only a quick dish of simply spaghetti without any other sauce. Ketchup is for those occasions. I don't order a nice pasta dish with bolognese, cheeses, spices and whatnot, only to ask the waiter to pass me the ketchup.

#23 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@ninjakiller: Nope.

#24 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

@Djstyles92 said:

@Toms115 said:

@Djstyles92 said:

Not really, I dont know shit about food. I'm italian, so ketchup on spaghetti is an unthinkable thing to do. Everything about it is wrong to me, excuse me if I have an opinion on something.

deal with it

#25 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@MysteriousBob: Duly noted.

#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

Oh god ketchup on spaghetti?

I'm freaking out. That's so crazy! You're so crazy!

My mind can't fathom the awfulness... Ketchup is just too sickly sweet to be used as a good sauce for stuff. It belongs on fries, or a burger or something. I think of it more as a dip or condiment than a sauce. Now if you tell me your special tomato sauce has a little ketchup in it for flavor or something, I'd still look at you funny, but you wouldn't be as crazy in my books.

Then again, my parents run a restaurant and my dad is French, so I have a very culinary background and I've been cooking proper meals since I was like 15. Good eats is my bias.

#27 Posted by championfetus (248 posts) -

@Penzilneck: Why do you care though? If someone is offended by your use of ketchup they need to lighten up. I mean unless you are using it to flavor human meat... that's another story.

#28 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

@Toms115 said:

@Djstyles92 said:

@Toms115 said:

@Djstyles92 said:

deal with it

ok then...

#29 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

I've never heard of this combination of spaghetti and ketchup and I wish I hadn't. That sounds nasty.

#30 Posted by sagesebas (2004 posts) -

@Penzilneck: Ketchup on pasta is for sick, mentally deranged goofballs, BBQ sauce is where it's at.

#31 Posted by Mikemcn (6996 posts) -

You're a god damn barbarian.

#32 Posted by Zelyre (1224 posts) -

@Penzilneck said:

Besides hot-dog condiment, what would I use the ketchup for, then? I saw it as a cheap and handy stand-in for better tomato sauces.

Ketchup/Catsup does not go on a hotdog unless you're 8.

One day, you'll be putting ketchup on your crackers. Then, you'll be living in a van down by the river.

Sorry, ketchup is a gross condiment that has no real use 'cept to mask a disgusting flavor with another disgusting flavor. It is outclassed in every way by a good BBQ sauce.

For pastas, if you've made pasta and realized you didn't have sauce (Not sure how that's done...), sautee some garlic in olive oil, add white wine, basil, toss pasta into that.

Tomato paste, diced tomatos, meat, and the spices and veggies you want ends up costing less than jarred sauces, tastes much better, and only needs a half hour of prep/cooking time. 25 minutes of which is simply simmering.

The only condiment any grown man needs is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

#33 Posted by Grillbar (1872 posts) -

ketchup on spaghetti

if your a broke student or hungry and theres nothing else to put on its fine.

theres nothing wrong with it.

#34 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@MikkaQ: I fear that when people hear about this, they imagine me dunking the whole batch of pasta into ketchup, or dousing the plate with the stuff. But that's not the case at all. A full plate of pasta only gets like a table-spoon of ketchup. It's only for a bit of flavour, with some oregano on top as well. Also, I choose it instead of adding more oils, like people suggest to me, because to me that feels off.

So, as so often, to each his own.

#35 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (501 posts) -

Why would you ruin perfectly good spaghetti by slathering it with ketchup? Would you put ketchup on a steak? Fuck no.

Ketchup is for hamburgers, hot dogs, and french fries.

#36 Posted by Renahzor (994 posts) -

@Penzilneck:

God doesn't want you to put ketchup on hotdogs or spaghetti. I'm pretty sure that is and/or should be illegal.

#37 Posted by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

What weirds me out though is that it seems like some people honestly haven't heard of the spaghetti and ketchup combination.

Like, whatever this dish is called in English:

With a few exceptions I always put ketchup on it.

#38 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@Jonnyflash80: Thankfully, I would never 'slather' my food with any sort of sauce or condiment.

And apparently some people even object to ketchup going on hot dogs.

#39 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

If I find myself without tomato sauce I just use a little butter and salt. Using Ketchup sounds extremely disgusting. That so wrong calling it poor mans food or farmer's food. It's more like a homeless mans contraption. Even poor people can create really good plates using what little they have. Ketchup on spaghetti isn't one of them.

#40 Posted by Warchief (658 posts) -
#41 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -
#42 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@Warchief: Awesome. Thanks for that. Every discussion is better for a bit of Kirk.

#43 Edited by Adamsons (877 posts) -

This surprises me less than people putting condiments on steak.

Edit - to clarify, I mean things like ketchup.

#44 Posted by animathias (1190 posts) -

I've never heard of this combination, but I don't see anything offensive about it like some others here seem to. I don't know how to describe the taste, but I would think ketchup would be too "sweet" to compete with a good tomato sauce. Though I don't think it would be that bad either.

#45 Edited by bybeach (4898 posts) -

@Grillbar said:

ketchup on spaghetti

if your a broke student or hungry and theres nothing else to put on its fine.

theres nothing wrong with it.

I understand, but at least in my world a small can of tomato paste you can cut w/h2o is little more than pennies. You'd come out with a clean taste..grate up or melt in a little cheddar or such if you have it.

To be honest we used to make what we called german spaghetti for a religious abstinence of meat when I was young. It was Spaghetti, tomato juice and some cheese. I later expanded it to use; diced ham, beef ( meaning leftovers) or say any bacon, sausage, ground beef, mushrooms and cheese with a can of tomato juice or even V-8. The resulting sauce being thin actually was good. And it was cheap.

#46 Posted by Vitor (2823 posts) -

There is something so very, very wrong with you and anyone else who would even consider that. Then again, I am European.

#47 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@EuanDewar: First, thank you. Second, I couldn't help but think about Ryan playing Ernest, or some weird combination like that...

#48 Posted by Vitor (2823 posts) -

@Penzilneck said:

@Warchief: Awesome. Thanks for that. Every discussion is better for a bit of Kirk.

Preparing for incoming shitstorm when people start correcting you on it being Captian Picard and not Kirk... You just love being controversial today, huh?

#49 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
I once prepared pasta only to discover to late that I didn't have any sauce. Ketchup was as close a second as I could find on hand. I have no regrets.
Oh god. Ketchup? Straight? Phew. That's rough.
#50 Edited by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@Vitor: Well, I am European, and people being or not being okay with this seem to come from all over.

Okay, maybe saying I'm European is exaggerating, since I'm actually Icelandic. But I really don't think I could mark this down as a weird habit for an isolated island nation.