Kidney stones, any advice?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

So i am a 23 year old male, and have spent the past 4 days in and out of hospital with Kidney stones 

I can honestly say i have never felt a pain quite like this one before, the nurses were saying that it is comparable if not even more painful then childbirth. 
Ladies you have my apologies for every piss take i made out of birthing being easy. 
 So after being sent home for the 2nd time now, dosed up on morphine and enough pills to open my own pharmaceutical i have been told to sit here and wait out the inevitable painful storm - i am absolutely dreading it, as the pain has been so bad and like nothing i've ever experienced! and apparently this is the easy part! 

Have any of you guys/girls ever experienced this? anyone went through this torture and lived to tell the tale? any advice you can off to an unfortunate soul who is probably going to scream in ways no man should ever scream?  
Any thing right now would surely ease my troubled mind :(

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NekuCTR

Ask for pain killers and pray, that's what my dad said when he had them a few years ago.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've never had it but my sister did for a short while. Considering how rarely she drinks any fluids apart from coke it's no wonder that she got them so early in her life. So my advice is simply drink more liquids. Hope you get better mate, I'm sure it's not nice at all.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I had to pass a kidney stone earlier this year.  When I had tons of pain I took some of the hydrocodone they had prescribed for me.  I'm not sure if it really helped much.  Oddly enough the final passing of the stone wasn't painful at all and the doctor was surprised I hadn't felt pain.  The entire process took several weeks for me and there was a time when I thought it'd never end and maybe I had some other problem.

As far as it goes though, while at times it was incredibly painful and I often sat on the toilet for hours because I felt a constant need to urinate, I feel I got out comparably easy.  Now I drink much more water and never drink tea.

Drink lots of water, distract yourself with games & audiobooks when possible.  And maybe you'll get lucky and the final passing won't be bad at all.

Oh and remember to keep using that strainer (and if you don't have one get one, so you can know when you've passed and they can do a lab on it, even if you don't want the lab done at least you'll know when it's over).

Oh and one final thing, maybe buy a cheap bucket to pee in, saved me a ton of hassle.

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By GeneralTurkle

I was always told lemon juice helps?

and good luck my friend

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond

Oh, that reminds me, cranberry juice can cause stones, but it's good to drink while you have a stone because it also helps prevent urinary tract infection.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Diamond: Never drink tea now? Why so if I may ask?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond
@eroticfishcake said:

@Diamond: Never drink tea now? Why so if I may ask?

Well it seems probable that dark teas caused my stone to form (although I hear any tea can cause it, I was drinking dark teas).  Stones can be formed for many reasons though.  I probably could get away with some tea but I don't want to risk it anymore.

I should say that not drinking enough water was also a factor.  Remember that many drinks such as sodas actually dehydrate you.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By EVHKwick

I had one when I was sixteen. It hurt the whole time it traveled from my kidney to my urinary tract, but wasn't painful to pass. I guess it's really quite common. 

Pray the doctors give you morphine. That's what they gave me.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Diamond: Huh. That's interesting since I drink vast amounts of dark tea every day although I add milk to mine which may have some effects on it.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@hack745 said:
" I had one when I was sixteen. It hurt the whole time it traveled from my kidney to my urinary tract, but wasn't painful to pass. I guess it's really quite common.  Pray the doctors give you morphine. That's what they gave me. "
I had one when I was 19, and that was pretty much my experience. When it was moving out of my kidney, it was by far the most painful experience of my life. After about two hours of excruciating pain though, I finally got to a doctor that gave me a quick injection of some pain killer into my hip, and after that the pain started to subside. A couple of pain killers at home was enough to get me through all of the pain.

Passing the stone, while it does feel a bit odd, isn't really all that painful.
Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By maskedarcstrike

When I read stories like this it immediately makes me start drinking more water o_O

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By PerryVandell

Dear god, kidney stones at 23, I'm really sorry to hear that. My advice would be to ask for the best damn pain killers on the market, and endure. That's about all you can do.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By EVHKwick
@Chaser324 said:
"Passing the stone, while it does feel a bit odd, isn't really all that painful."
I didn't feel it at all, actually. And they only gave me pain killer while I was admitted. 

It was an unusual conclusion to the worst eight hours of my life.
Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Blinck

Wish you good luck mate, try not to think much about it, and get distracted with other things like movies or games. If you focus too much on it you will probably feel more pain, so try to distract yourself. And don't forget, it will be over and you'll be alright, just hang in there ;)

lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lukeissxc

If you go to a doctor they might tell you that its too big to pass. If that happens you get to have surgery. If not then they can give you pain killers to help with when the stone moves. Either way good luck dealing with the pain.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By finstern

Had a hernia at age 11 was the worst pain in my life, but I cannot imagine passing a kidney stone after reading your story. 

Good luck duder, thought of any names for them yet? 

My apologies to everyone who watches that
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By BraveToaster
@maskedarcstrike said:
" When I read stories like this it immediately makes me start drinking more water o_O "
Indeed.
digniax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By digniax

I went through a metric shit-ton of Gatorade when I had mine.  Now I drink distilled water by the gallon constantly.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FunExplosions

Every time I hear anyone bring up the subject of intense pain, this is what they say: "Man, the two most painful things in my life: (something similar to jumping into a helicopter propeller or forgetting to release a hand grenade), and kidney stones." 
I do not envy you.

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

I'd recommend a doctor. Do it!  

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Pass 'em down in a jar son!
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

OmegaPirate is having a baby, I always knew this day would come.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well from what I hear is that it hurts like a mother fucker, so you know that much. Just don't worry yourself over the pain, your mind will always make the pain seem worst than it is no matter how bad it feels, and when that fucker is coming out and it feel like a boulder being forced out places that shouldn't feel like that, visualize as hard as you can about a happy place.

That's my two cents.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Hamst3r

That sucks. D:

I have nothing insightful for this thread, so naturally, I've written a guide for banishing kidney stones.

@GeneralTurkle said:

" I was always told lemon juice helps?"

That's just what @Lemon wants you to think.

-
Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By The_Philosopher
@OmegaPirate: Drink a lot of cranberry juice and get real liquored up. Seriously the cranberry juice is supposed to help break them up into smaller bits. Plus it mixes very nicely with vodka and 7up/Sprite. So your killing 2 birds with one "stone".
ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZeroCast
@OmegaPirate: Omega, hope you get well soon my friend. Keep drinking water. Lots and lots of water. I won't say that I had the same experience but it was close enough to hospitalize me. And again, water. Hope you come out from this safe and sound.
Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got one from drinking lots of dark tea myself. I was hitting up starbucks like a crack addict hits up a dealer.  

I woke up one morning thinking i had slept on my back funny because my lower back felt like it was in knots. As it got progressively worse I drove myself to the urgent care clinic and saw the doctor about an hour later (despite an empty waiting room). By the time I actually saw the doctor I had passed the stone without any pain medication in their public bathroom.   It felt like my cock shoot out a geodude. 

jimjimman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jimjimman

I've dealt with chronic kidney stones since I was 12 (27 now). Five times I've had to deal with those nasty little fucks, including over this summer.  As all of the others that have experienced it have already stated, the only thing you can do is drink plenty of fluids and wait it out.     

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Set your cell phone on vibrate and press it up against yourkidneys, with any luck the vibration will break up the stones. 

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BitterAlmond

I've actually heard Marijuana helps. Not sure if you're into that, but I've read it does. Just be sure to ingest it (brownies!) instead of smoking it, or if you do, drink even MORE water, as smoke really dries you out.

Also: 
 @Hamst3r said:

Place the jar into an open fire to roast the stone alive, assuring that it won't crawl up your urethra while you sleep.

Major lawlz. Ten points to you, my friend.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OmegaPirate

Holy shit, I had no idea that this many people had experienced it (guess it's kind of a no brainer thinking of how many people exist though) but yeah it definitely seems like just flushing the fuckers out and praying to cthulu is the only way to get through it - which is a shame, was hoping for a wonder cure! But at least i know there's light at the end of the tunnel! 

But thanks for all the advice and support duders, goes without saying that those of you who have had this know how god damn unearthly the pain is, and yes even the keyboard sympathy of a video game forum is at least a tiny little spark, in an otherwise water filled dreary existence, thinking about it, my gut right now is pretty much Rapture! Im gonna call the first one to come out "Andrew" and the 2nd one "Ryan" , anyone after that isn't important! 

@jimjimman said:  
 I literally have no idea how you could put up with this more than once, even this one time feels like im being punished for some terrible crime in a previous life, you have my condolences man - heres to a few more un -stoned years for you! 

@odintal:  Not gonna lie dude, you just made me perform a spit-take, funniest shit i read in a while xD - no idea how you managed ot do it unaided, i spent 9 hours on drips with morphine and codeine being pumped through me and i was still begging for someone to just come and curb stomp me - the nurses refused though :(  

@The_Philosopher:  That is actually not a bad idea, never tried cranberry juice, but now is as good a time as any to find out, and if i like it then thats a bonus too! 

@Hamst3r:  What would performing me and my finance's friday night mating ritual have to do with speeding up my recovery :D

@Gamer_152:  And i shall be the proudest parent in the urinary ward when the big day arrives! 

@Lemon: I already been to two separate hospitals now, apparently they have done all that they can for me, which sucks :(  as everyone else here is saying, just gotta man up, suck it in, take as many pills as you can and drink like a fish until those assholes surrender their residency - however you posting here totally gave me the last Giant-bomb quest i needed in the 1984 quest set, which is a better present to me than any painkiller and you have my thanks :) x 

I guess it totally makes sense reading a lot of the comments here, i very rarely drink water (i cant stand the lack of any taste) and as such burn through lots of colas, gatorades, powerades and juices - but hell if it means not having to go through another night of 5 hours doubled over uncontrollably sobbing and wishing that you weren't concious  then ill drink nothing but water for the rest of my life! 

Cheers again for the advice and support guys, imma hit that cranberry juice and then hit the sack (bed, not ball) and hope i can make it through to the end of the passing without any more of these excruciating pains !

Tairoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tairoku

Stay away from any high-salt/cholesterol foods. Plus drink plenty of water.

Faramir82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Faramir82

I've had kidney stones three times in my life and I would recommend you to drink plenty of water.  I drank non-stop amounts of water so I could get them out.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GunnBjorn

Stay away from salt and sugar laiden products, including soft-drinks. Drink water and diuretic teas like Chamomile and/or Nettle. Now, these are just a nostrum or two. I'm no MD in the least. Seeking medical advise on a gaming forum is unwise, my friend. I wish you well. 

Valêre, 
Bjorn.     
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Osaladin

My friend just got back from the hospital last week because of kidney stones. His where so bad that they tore his urethra as he was pushing them out. Talk about pain bro. 

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CptBedlam

Wow, I'm suprised how many people already had kidney stones. I thought that was something that mostly older people get. 

Well, to get something useful out of this thread I guess I'm gonna make it a rule to drink more water from now on.

Good luck, man. I hope it's not as painful as it looked in that Deadwood episode.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@OmegaPirate:  i hate to be the bearer of bad news but once you have kidney stones you're more likely to get them again.  dietary management can help but quite a few doctors think that some people just have a predisposition to getting them.
my mother-in-law's boyfriend gets them all the time. it gets to the point where about twice a year he has to go to the hospital and they use focused sound waves to shatter the things. i believe it's called shock wave lithotripsy but i'm not 100% positive.  
Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bestostero

sucks, my cousin had it and told me it hurt like hell...good thing i only drink water these days, hope you get that taken care of and feel better dude  haha

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cornman89

Jesus.

I just drank about two quarts of water right now, and I'm never, ever going to stop. Good luck, dude. Take tons of drugs.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Milkman

I think kidney stones are my biggest fear. Spiders? Nope. Heights? Fuck 'em. But even thought of getting kidney stones gives me chills. God, that would fucking suck so bad. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox

My father suffered heavily from chronic kidney stones. He would sit on the toilet for hours in immense pain just trying to relieve the pressure in his bladder. Hearing him moan and whimper was terrible. I hope to fuck that it's not genetic.

Since he died I started having dreams where I have to piss like a racehorse but can't.

You have my sympathy dude.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Romination

You know, can't they ultrasound these things away now? 
That's technology. That's the future right there.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By meteora

I should drink more water now that I think about it...

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WEGGLES

I drink a lot of pop, which supposedly can cause them. 

I'm fucking terrified of getting kidney stones. Every time someone mentions them I chug water like a mad man. 

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I'm surprised by how positive and supportive this community has been. My sympathies goes out to Omega, my father had got kidney stones twice within a course of a year that were removed through surgery. After that, he changed his dietary habits instantly. I drink between 9-12 glass of water a day generally so hopefully I never deal with it. If you're of legal age, I'd recommend wine. Supposedly, it helps prevent kidney stones, but primarily, so it can alleviate your pain but still remain functional since it's not as influential as say a pain killer.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Afroman269

Good luck. 

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HS21

I'm formally requesting a live stream of the stream. 

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rosebud04

try listening to some your favorite music, and PUMP UP THE VOLUME!