• 64 results
#51 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

Apart from the chicken nuggets, cafeteria food in my school tasted like hot ass. This is almost as dumb as when Texas started rewriting it's history books to portray the US in a more positive light.

#52 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@Dany said:
" School lunches are better now, and offer more healthier options to promote better health, while what you bring from home can be 6 twinkies, "
Better? Yes. No longer processed shit? Not at all, even if your school offers a salad alternative, it's usually of low quality, far from fresh, and needs a boat load of dressing to be edible. it's still terrible, and far less healthy than just about anything you could whip up at home.
#53 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

When I was in elementary and middle school I got into more fights and got more referrals than I can count. I feel bad for any kid similar to me that's going to these schools. They're probably getting into a whole world of shit right now. Ahh, to be rebellious again.

#54 Edited by Donos (1197 posts) -

Why not just provide the food for free as they are now, and allow homemade lunches at the same time? My impression is that it's low-income households giving kids really unhealthy lunches (as they're usually quicker and cheaper to put together), so I would think free food would be an appealing alternative.

My high school did something similar a few years ago when I was in 12th grade. A lot of kids weren't getting breakfast in the morning, usually the same ones who weren't showing up for early classes. They started giving out free fruit and juice/milk in the morning, and attendance and breakfast-consumption jumped up. Canada, folks.

#55 Posted by DougQuaid (1275 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" What parent even gives their kids hot chips and soda for lunch?My mom always packed me PB&J, an apple, and a SunnyD.  Sometimes pudding.   "
Fuck yes! Throw in an oatmeal pie and it's a done deal!
#56 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -
@Tebbit said:
" @ryanwho said:

" @Tebbit said:

" @melcene said:
" My daughter's school did something interestingly similar this year - 

Don't buy your kid school supplies.  Just give us $15 and we'll supply them with what they need.

I mean... really?  Wth?
"
Wait, I would have loved that to be an option when I was at school! I dreaded having to go out during the dying hours of the end of year break to buy school supplies. It was the first sign of having to go back... *shudder*$15 is pretty reasonable, considering the price of stationary. "
Im guessing 15 dollars to the school buys you 10 dollars of warehouse school supplies such as pencils with rock hard smear-erasers, half a pack of loose leaf paper, and "slightly used" binders. "
Oh. Well fuck that then. No Sonic the Hedgehog book covers = no deal. "
That's just it.  Much like the school lunch thing is to take the away from children the lunches that often parents put together for them (with care or with haste), the school supply thing, I think, is simply to take away the kids' individuality.  They already have to wear school uniforms.  And now their book covers, folders, binders, etc are provided by the school.
#57 Posted by Orange (206 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" School food is over priced and unhealthy in all regards.  "
This.
#58 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

Who would do such a thing?!?!.. Oh, Chicago, now it all makes sense.

#59 Posted by detectivepbert (262 posts) -

I went to a private (non-boarding)  high school where we weren't allowed to bring lunches -- everyone just ate the dining hall each day.  Its really not that big of a deal.  But yes, I do think the nanny state mentality is problematic.  Its inherent in the education system though.    Just think of the type of control-freak self-obsessed power-hungry neurotic wackos that probably make up Chicago school boards and a lot of PTAs.

#60 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" What parent even gives their kids hot chips and soda for lunch?My mom always packed me PB&J, an apple, and a SunnyD.  Sometimes pudding.   "
YEAH! PUDDING!
#61 Posted by ___pocalypse (554 posts) -

what gross. I never had school food when I was younger and honestly, none of it ever looked appetizing. Even the pizza was crazy greasy. Even if they've made things healthier since I've been in school, I'd bet none of it is food I would ever eat.

I bet they have shit vegetarian or vegan options, too. An apple and some crackers that you have to pay for at school isn't better than an apple and some crackers you've already paid for and brought from home.
#62 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@nemt: I was a terror in elementary and middle school. I got in trouble all the time for doing shit that wasn't even breaking the rules. Like, I once got sent to the office for sleeping in class. This in contrast to when I'd get sent to the principal's office for disrupting class. It's like, what the fuck do you want from me? I'm not even a distraction while asleep, so why not leave well enough alone?
#63 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -
@FourWude said:
" Time to lock and load. You can pry the shotgun from my cold, dead hands. "
You don't know what's best for you. We know what's best for you. And when I say "we" I mean wealthy know it all liberals who are not actually subjected to these absurd and unenforceable statutes because our children are in private schools. We do this because we care.

When I was in school, I ate healthy food because I had good parents. That is the only effective way to promote good eating habits: from the home.

"It takes a village to raise your child." ... It's more like a commune at this point.
#64 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@Famov: I do like the hippie hate in this post, but let's face it, wealthy know-it-all conservatives are the same way, just about different things.