• 161 results
#101 Posted by Aetheldod (3682 posts) -

I will only recommend these shows as well:

-Gosick

-Skip Beat

-Silver Spoon

-Death Note

And Im glad thata you chooser to give anime a fair try , I wont deny we tend to be a bit perverted from time to times. Why hide it? I also like Cammy´s outfit and Im not sorry about that :3 But there just so much stuff to see in anime that there´s something there bound to be of your liking from high art to low/pulp/ stuff , and that is what I like about it. And yeah english dubbing is.... is terrible and Im sorry it has to be said , one of the things that in mexico we have better is dubbing.

And what gives @danryckert ? I thought you were a cool duder :( , heck you like Metal Gear Solid which is just a minuscule step from animu from there

#102 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@slag said:

I think unfortunately there are plenty of Americans who conflate Anime with Hentai due to ignorance, which is part of the derision it gets. They definitely aren't the same thing.

There's nothing with sexuality in media either, like many things in life it just all depends on how it's used. If it's demeaning or objectifying , well then that's bad. But in a lot of cases it's well done and a vital aspect of the story (and life for that matter).

Dan Ryckert is an amusing fellow and afaik a good game critic, but we're also talking about a guy who has never had really basic food staples like Ketchup and in general sounds like he hasn't lived a very diverse life. Maybe that's just his shtick for video that he plays up, but at least until he proves otherwise He wouldn't be my number one source for a cultured opinion on something that isn't ultra mainstream.

I don't have anywhere near as much of a problem with Dan's tweet as I did with Leigh Alexander or Ben Kuchera's -- I pretty much just threw it in because it was a recent and high-profile example of the way nobody really bats an eye at making jokes about anime fans. Like you, I assume he's mostly hamming it up in the same way that Jeff will play up his disdain for Yoshi or NiGHTS. Still, I think it's less obviously humorous than making fun of people who like Yoshi's Island because it's consistent with a much more common and pernicious stereotype.

Honestly, I don't know about that. I think back to the thread on the World Cup from not that long ago, and in it, @danryckert was called out on some tweets in which he dismissively made fun of soccer in a narrow-minded manner. His tweet on anime strikes me as coming from the same place. Dan actually responded to the criticism he received in the World Cup thread and deleted the tweets in question, which was cool of him, but I don't know if he'd do the same in this case. Making fun of anime and its fans in general and without reason, context, or even a basic argument seems to be construed as an OK thing to do among game journalists.

There's also the simple problem that game journalists, particularly those with public faces, can and do influence the opinions of others on even the most minor subjects. Even when it's evident that they're joking, there's always going to be that subset of fans that hang on to every word as though it were gospel truth. This has partially to do with how some fans are sycophantic and tend not to think for themselves, but there's also the case that some journalists don't seem to understand the level of influence their words carry, or by the time that they do understand, it's too late. Jeff once made a comment about the possibility of taking a trip to Japan and jokingly calling it a raid. There are people still under the impression that this "raid" is going to be a big event that will inevitably happen some day despite it coming from an offhand comment Jeff made years ago.

#103 Edited by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

@grantheaslip: Oh, and while you're bringing up awful tweets you missed this gem from Phil Fish. He of course deleted his tweet and locked his account afterwards because Phil is nothing but a big troll. Manged to see this screencap via @luminocracy on twitter.

#104 Edited by believer258 (12100 posts) -

@grantheaslip:

Yeah, I realize that I've come into it at a better time than ever, not just in terms of the sheer availability and convenience of shows, but also in cultural acceptance. I'd hope that anime to at least some degree is following in the footsteps of video games, which have gone from a fringe and childish-considered hobby to mainstream acceptance. It's a bit different insofar as anime is inherently Japanese, but both probably (hopefully?) benefit from similar trends of social acceptance.

More so than this, I'd like to see other cultures attempt to do more mature and interesting things with animation. I'm not saying that there aren't American cartoons that haven't tackled something deep before, but I can't think of an American analogue to Cowboy Bebop or Baccano. Something for adults, something that doesn't have to be suitable for kids or a late-night comedy cartoon to get made. Maybe the internet will make that possible once somebody figures out how to do it without having to pay producers, directors, actors, and TV networks loads of money just to get something out there.

EDIT: I mean not just American. I thought "American" because, well, that's where I'm from. I meant other cultures in general.

#105 Posted by Itwongo (1235 posts) -

@grantheaslip: Oh, and while you're bringing up awful tweets you missed this gem from Phil Fish. He of course deleted his tweet and locked his account afterwards because Phil is nothing but a big troll. Manged to see this screencap via @luminocracy on twitter.

Pretty sure he posted that and locked his account out of anger more than trolling.

#106 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@itwongo said:
@demoskinos said:

Pretty sure he posted that and locked his account out of anger more than trolling.

No, Phil was on a real tear for about a week where he was toothlessly trolling, and later mixed it in with outrage at certain other events that took place over the weekend. He made numerous tweets specifically aimed at trolling people that have anime-style characters as avatars (such as the one that Demoskinos quoted above) and went off the deep end to a degree that he hadn't ever before. Multiple people I know on Twitter felt the need to either mute or block him, even if they weren't following him, simply because his vitriol was so amazing that people couldn't stop retweeting him. And again, this went on for about a solid week.

#107 Posted by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

@grantheaslip:

Yeah, I realize that I've come into it at a better time than ever, not just in terms of the sheer availability and convenience of shows, but also in cultural acceptance. I'd hope that anime to at least some degree is following in the footsteps of video games, which have gone from a fringe and childish-considered hobby to mainstream acceptance. It's a bit different insofar as anime is inherently Japanese, but both probably (hopefully?) benefit from similar trends of social acceptance.

More so than this, I'd like to see other cultures attempt to do more mature and interesting things with animation. I'm not saying that there aren't American cartoons that haven't tackled something deep before, but I can't think of an American analogue to Cowboy Bebop or Baccano. Something for adults, something that doesn't have to be suitable for kids or a late-night comedy cartoon to get made. Maybe the internet will make that possible once somebody figures out how to do it without having to pay producers, directors, actors, and TV networks loads of money just to get something out there.

EDIT: I mean not just American. I thought "American" because, well, that's where I'm from. I meant other cultures in general.

Yeah, its weird how there ARE adult cartoons in the west but they are in fact as you already mentioned all comedy.

#108 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@grantheaslip:

Yeah, its weird how there ARE adult cartoons in the west but they are in fact as you already mentioned all comedy.

I think the closest we've ever gotten is The Big O. The show was much more popular in the west than it ever was in Japan, and that reason alone was pretty much why a second season was made.

#109 Edited by Itwongo (1235 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@itwongo said:
@demoskinos said:

No, Phil was on a real tear for about a week where he was toothlessly trolling, and later mixed it in with outrage at certain other events that took place over the weekend. He made numerous tweets specifically aimed at trolling people that have anime-style characters as avatars (such as the one that Demoskinos quoted above) and went off the deep end to a degree that he hadn't ever before. Multiple people I know on Twitter felt the need to either mute or block him, even if they weren't following him, simply because his vitriol was so amazing that people couldn't stop retweeting him. And again, this went on for about a solid week.

I didn't notice that. I was following him pretty hard when he was retweeting all the Ferguson news before getting involved in the Zoe Quinn thing, which is where I saw the outrage.

Edit: I guess I should have asked if that week you mentioned was this last week, because he's been doing nothing but Ferguson RTs

#110 Posted by StarFoxA (5162 posts) -

I recently gave anime a shot as well, after hearing a lot of hype for Attack on Titan, and feeling like I'd exhausted every TV show and movie on Netflix. I honestly despised Attack on Titan, but my interest was piqued so I downloaded Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagaan... and now I'm hooked.

Any anime recommendations? I have a massive list of things to check out now. I've probably added like 10 shows to my Netflix list, and downloaded a few others (FLCL, Death Note, Samurai Champloo, FMA, etc).

#111 Edited by DeadpanCakes (1042 posts) -

@ryuku_ryosake said:

Everyone here is giving you the wrong suggestion for what to watch if you enjoyed Kill la Kill that much and for the reasons you stated. What you are looking for is FLCL pronounced Fooly Cooly. The director of Kill la Kill was the animation director on that show and it clearly where he was pulling his inspiration from for Kill la Kill.

In short terms, FLCL is to male adolescence as Kill la Kill is to female adolescence. Instead of clothes, 'nakedness', blood, and wedding imagery it is rock n' roll, robots, fleshy protrusions, and 'Fooly Cooly'.

Also it is only six episodes along so its not much of a commitment. It also has one of the greatest dubs ever made if you want to go that route. But yeah most people that don't like Kill La Kill where expecting more Gurren Lagann. Where I was one of those people watch Gurren Lagann expecting more FLCL. So I was delighted when I watched Kill la Kill.

I would strongly encourage listening to this suggestion.

Outside of the visual bombast and escalation aspects of them, I think people are doing both shows a disservice by directly comparing a series based on taking the giant robot genre to its natural conclusion (Gurren Lagann) and a series based on taking shoujo action (such as Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sailor Moon, school anime series) and female adolescence to a modern, over-the-top conclusion. A series like FLCL (Fooly Cooly) is far more analogous with Kill la Kill, as it is an extreme version of traditional male adolescence taken to its eventual extreme.

Huh.. As somebody who watched Kill la Kill and ended up disappointed it didn't live up to Gurren Lagann, I'm really glad you two brought that up. I think it's really shed a new light on the way I view Kill la Kill.

@grantheaslip: Anyway I, too, think that FLCL is a really natural follow-up to Kill la Kill.

I find myself really wanting to also bring up Welcome to the NHK for some reason. I think it's because it was to me, what Kill la Kill was to you. I happened upon it on Netflix and started watching, fully expecting a comedy series that was stupid and "anime-y" (whatever I thought that meant at the time) that was completely unaware of its "anime-y-ness." I went in expecting a story about a loser, doing nothing with his life, but somehow gets the mysterious one-dimensional girl, straight out of a crappy dating sim- basically something that would perpetuate my reductive view on the emotional range anime (outside of Ghibli) could capture. Instead what I found was completely aware of how people view anime and works to humanize often-judged Japanese subcultures-- it doesn't always succeed, I think, but for the most part it affected me pretty hard. There's something about it that made me appreciate approaching anime (and life in general) at face value-- trying to judge only when I've come to my own judgments, rather than latching onto hive mentalities.

Anyway, nice post. It's always nice to see people going out of their comfort zones encouraging others out of theirs.

#112 Posted by Tonch (88 posts) -

I'm sure most people don't, but I'm hoping nobody really takes Dan's comments about anime to heart. Otherwise he wouldn't frequently (and facetiously) highlight when people bring up his love for pro wrestling in comparison to anime. He's just screwing around-- he works in games media for a living, he knows he's a dork. We're all dorks. And that's A-OK.

I mean Jeff trash-talks Majora's Mask all the time, and it's my favorite game ever. I don't care, I think it's funny. I know he's playing it up for laughs, even if he really doesn't like the game at all. I know there are obviously people who really do judge people based on their hobbies, but I'm fairly sure that when it comes to the GB guys, they're just ribbing everyone (including themselves/each other).

#113 Posted by JimiPeppr (420 posts) -

From what I can tell, the whole "anime avatar" thing is just an observation that turned into a running joke. Obviously not everyone that is into anime is an asshole, but you can't deny that a lot of assholes are into anime.

I watched Kill La Kill recently. The costume design did make me feel a little uncomfortable at times, but the animation/art and humor is top notch.

#114 Posted by Turambar (6847 posts) -

Outside of the visual bombast and escalation aspects of them, I think people are doing both shows a disservice by directly comparing a series based on taking the giant robot genre to its natural conclusion (Gurren Lagann) and a series based on taking shoujo action (such as Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sailor Moon, school anime series) and female adolescence to a modern, over-the-top conclusion. A series like FLCL (Fooly Cooly) is far more analogous with Kill la Kill, as it is an extreme version of traditional male adolescence taken to its eventual extreme.

TTGL brings mecha back to its roots far more than takes it to its natural conclusion. It's a love letter to the Getters, Mazingers, and GaoGaiGars when modern representations of the genre are heavily steeped in mixing real and super robot sensibilities.

#115 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

From what I can tell, the whole "anime avatar" thing is just an observation that turned into a running joke. Obviously not everyone that is into anime is an asshole, but you can't deny that a lot of assholes are into anime.

I watched Kill La Kill recently. The costume design did make me feel a little uncomfortable at times, but the animation/art and humor is top notch.

But it is a joke at the expense of select people, regardless of whether they act like assholes or not. It's also an incredibly childish insult and one that people on the Giant Bomb forums have previously used, in some bizarre way, to discredit the argument of whoever they happened to disagree with in a particular debate regardless of the topic at hand. It progressed well beyond the point of harmless fun years ago. It is effectively a statement that says, "Your views and opinions are worthless to me because I don't like the icon you chose to represent yourself." And the people that actually use this line typically don't use it as a joke. It is meant as an insult.

I know this because I have been on the receiving end of such lines right here on Giant Bomb. It is absurd beyond belief.

#116 Edited by believer258 (12100 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

@believer258 said:

@grantheaslip:

I think the closest we've ever gotten is The Big O. The show was much more popular in the west than it ever was in Japan, and that reason alone was pretty much why a second season was made.

Wasn't the second season made in the West? Or at least jointly made somewhere here?

I really like some Japanese anime and JRPG's (I'm watching Psycho-Pass right now, actually, it's fairly good), but seeing what the culture that I grew up in could do with animation would be awesome. I would actually say that the closest we've got are Marvel movies - Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Avengers. Those movies escalate to some pretty crazy levels and most of the shots in those movies have some kind of computer generation in them, but they work on a human scale thanks to really good characterization and writing. And they're even adapted from comic books. But they're still not wholly animated.

EDIT: Also, whenever I click on the "take me to the last post" button, it actually takes me to the last fucking post. That means the mods haven't had to delete anything after 116 posts, and that is an encouraging thought.

Unless that bug was fixed.

#117 Posted by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

Even if it is a joke which, in many cases its not its a very poor joke when you're a person like Leigh Alexander on Ben Kuchera who regularly campaign for equality for Women and Minorites in gaming. If that's going to be your platform while at the same time you shun entire groups of people because of an interest they share well then I can't very well take anything you say seriously can I?

#118 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

@believer258 said:

@grantheaslip:

Wasn't the second season made in the West? Or at least jointly made somewhere here?

I really like some Japanese anime and JRPG's (I'm watching Psycho-Pass right now, actually, it's fairly good), but seeing what the culture that I grew up in could do with animation would be awesome. I would actually say that the closest we've got are Marvel movies - Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Avengers. Those movies escalate to some pretty crazy levels and most of the shots in those movies have some kind of computer generation in them, but they work on a human scale thanks to really good characterization and writing. And they're even adapted from comic books. But they're still not wholly animated.

I believe the actual process was that Cartoon Network paid at least in part for the production of a second season. The same studio/staff of the first season handled it, but the money to create it largely came from the west.

#119 Posted by JimiPeppr (420 posts) -

@hailinel: The joke is at the expense of the people that are jerks. They probably deserve it. If you're not a jerk, there is nothing to be insulted about.

#120 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@hailinel: The joke is at the expense of the people that are jerks. They probably deserve it. If you're not a jerk, there is nothing to be insulted about.

The problem is that they're not differentiating between people that are actually jerks and those that aren't. It's a callous lumping of everyone together in one stereotyped group.

#121 Posted by JimiPeppr (420 posts) -

@hailinel: I'm not saying that it's a funny joke. I agree that it is lame to generalize like that. But I wouldn't say that a bad joke is offensive.

#122 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@hailinel: I'm not saying that it's a funny joke. I agree that it is lame to generalize like that. But I wouldn't say that a bad joke is offensive.

And again, there are people that don't use it as a joke.

#123 Posted by JimiPeppr (420 posts) -
#124 Edited by GTCknight (704 posts) -

@grantheaslip: I can definitely see how Berserk might not be for you (it is ultra dark after all) however, if you have any interest in the Souls series then I highly suggest watching this video.

There are other videos showcasing (some of) the Berserk references in dark souls on youtube as well. Oh, and the music is from the Berserk TV anime (ending theme) "I'm waiting so long".

If your into (or interested in) Slice of life (with comedy) shows I can recommend Working!! (also known as Wagnaria!!) and Servant x Service (same folks who did Working!!).

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention that you should definitely without question watch Time of Eve; its a science fiction show and there are only six eps.

#125 Posted by mithical (334 posts) -

This inspired me to check out KLK and I loved it. The action was good and I really liked Ryuko, but what surprisingly drew me in was I thought it was really funny. Anime humour typically doesn't get me to do more than crack a smile but something about the stuff in KLK had me laughing out loud plenty of times. If I had to guess I'd say it has good comedic timing. I find often an anime will take a concept I find funny and run it into the ground by dragging the joke out for too long. KLK tends to be a bit more snappy and relies more on visuals instead of dialogue to tell the joke. I'm also never usually down with the comic relief character but I thought Mako was pretty great.

Of course as things ramp up and stakes are raised in typical shonen fashion, action and plot exposition start to take over and comedy takes a backseat. It thankfully still pops up every now and then but I was much happier with the comedy/action balance struck in the first third or so of the series.

Following recommendations from this thread I've moved on to Gurren Lagann and although I'm only 4 episodes in, it's not quite grabbing me. There's not as much of a focus on comedy. Kamina's macho persona was alright at first but has already begun to tire on me. I'm not really a fan of giant robots (if you can imagine such a thing). I'll stick with it but my expectations aren't high.

Thinking about comedy in anime has me curious though.. do you guys have any recommendations based on humour? Obviously it's pretty subjective but if enough people point things out I'll probably find something that jives with me.

#126 Edited by TruthTellah (9420 posts) -

@mithical: I definitely agree about the comedic timing in KLK, and Mako's role as honest court jester and greek chorus was very well done.

As far as other recent shows, I would say No Game No Life, Tonari no Seki-kun, and My Mental Choices are recent ones that have really made me laugh.

It's the little touches that make all the difference.

#127 Edited by TheAcidSkull (669 posts) -

Too over the top for me, sadly.

#128 Edited by bassman2112 (850 posts) -

@mithical said:

Thinking about comedy in anime has me curious though.. do you guys have any recommendations based on humour? Obviously it's pretty subjective but if enough people point things out I'll probably find something that jives with me.

I'd REALLY recommend Steins;Gate. It has humour and silliness, but it also has moments that are genuinely touching and, frankly, emotional.

More on subject with the OP here, though - I used to like Anime a bit in high school; but through University, forced myself away because I wanted to be a good student and shit. This past summer I've caught up and watched SO MUCH ANIME. Here are my thoughts on some series' I went through this summer:

Kill La Kill: Awesome action, funny moments, amazing characters (Ryuko is rad all around), and actually had a really good arc in its last half. I was genuinely surprised. ALSO THE BEST OST IN ANIME. 4/5

Attack On Titan: Really loved the art style. Starts with a bang, and I feel like it carries its pace very well throughout the whole show. Good writing, though sometimes a little melodramatic. Overall really good, worthy of its hype, and I've been reading the manga =D 4/5

Mekakucity Actors: Tries too hard. Rushes through everything because it's a short season. Tries to tell a complicated story in not enough time, and does a poor job doing so. Has some good moments, but overall a letdown. 2/5

Madoka Magica: I watched Madoka knowing absolutely nothing about it going in. If you also know nothing about Madoka, go watch it. Right now. It is in my top 3 series' of all time, and episode 10 is my favourite piece of fiction ever. EVER. 5/5

Higurashi: Heard it was violent, and the opening scene in season one is extremely violent. As it went on, I started off confused; but became more intrigued as the season went on. First season ended really strongly, and I enjoyed it. Watched the second season AND MY MIND WAS BLOWN LIKE IT HAD NEVER BEEN BLOWN BEFORE. Higurashi is legitimately an amazing series, but you NEED to watch season two to really appreciate it. Another show in my top 3. 5/5

FLCL: Hated it. Got 3 episodes in, there was no story, all style with no substance. The Pillows are an awesome band, and the music was good; but horrible series. Never finished it. 1/5

Sword Art Online (And SAO II): It had its moments. I appreciated that it seemed in check with how a game would actually work. I think Season One was okay overall, like a solid 3/5, maybe 4/5. Season 2 is very good so far, going to continue watching it =D

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Never before have I ever been so let down by an overhyped series. It tries to tackle some interesting subjects, but I feel it fails at all of them. 1/5 show. Even watching 'End of Evangelion' didn't make it better for me. Do not recommend.

Elfen Lied: Cool story. Really violent, though. Definitely don't watch around kids or parents. I liked it, they handled PTSD in a really cool way. I'd say 4/5 for the show, and 5/5 for the manga.

Kuroko's Basketball: Don't waste your time. 1/5

No Game No Life: If you liked Kill La Kill, you'll love this show. It's like KLK meets Sword Art. It's funny, smart, and beautiful. There is a ton of fan service, so if boobs bother you then it'll be awkward; but a great show overall. 4/5

Steins;Gate: As I mentioned earlier in this post, fantastic show. I don't want to give any of it away, but I legitimately believe it's one of the best shows I've ever seen. Really, really good. 5/5

Code Geass: Show I'm currently watching. Finished season one and really liked it a lot. Season two is really awesome so far, looking forward to where it's going. So far an easy 5/5

Hope you guys can find some recommendations from this! Anime isn't as evil as people make it out to be. In fact, I feel like it's better than most Western media - they tackle topics that Western stuff is just too shy to talk about. Mental illness, guilt, shame, et cetera.

But yeah, anime is for jerks.

Edit: Oh, also watched Spice And Wolf! What a spectacular little romance that was. I loved it! You also learn a ton about economics along the way. 4/5 if not 5/5 (only thing keeping it from 5/5 is pacing).

#129 Edited by JesusHammer (174 posts) -

@bassman2112: I'm sorry, but man your taste is just wrong. Anybody that puts SAO and Elfen Lied above FLCL and NGE is just wrong.

#130 Posted by bassman2112 (850 posts) -

@bassman2112: I'm sorry, but man your taste is just wrong. Anybody that puts SAO and Elfen Lied above FLCL and NGE is just wrong.

That's the cool thing about subjective opinions man, there is no reason for them to be "wrong." This is why people say anime is for jerks, when you make binary statements like that. Here, just to appease your propensity for internet arguments, here is my reasoning:

NGE was bad. Shinji was a horrible character who did nothing but whine for 24 episodes and a movie. Rei was lame. Asuka was cool. The dad gave Shinji a job, and hooked him up with a rad roommate, and shinji just cried 24/7. It was a boring, frustrating show to watch and I think it was utter shit.

FLCL was worthless. Everyone I talked to hyped it up as the greatest thing ever, but it was unwatchable. A kid that spawns robots from the dicks that grow out of his head? Pretty deep, man. Like I said, The Pillows' music is great, the style is good, but there is zero substance. No story. Nothing.

Elfen Lied has issues, yeah; but I still enjoyed it a ton. The Manga made watching the anime far more enjoyable for me, because it continues the story in a significant way. Like I said about SAO, it was enjoyable 3/5 - not great, but I didn't hate my time with it. I at least felt like both of those shows weren't a waste of my time like NGE and FLCL.

#131 Posted by geirr (2679 posts) -

My wife loves this anime so I kinda caught most of the story via glances and listening. It's fairly entertaining though it's still knee-deep in some anime-ass tropes that, while they joke around with them and make them seem less serious, are still there which didn't help my enjoyment of it. However certain parts are amazing and if you can/dare, pull your stick out of your ass and turn off your brain and let this anime take you on a strange and wonderful journey.

#132 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

welcome to a glorious new world...... just watch anime that has more then sliding frames between frames..... except I'm watching 80s and 70s anime which is nothing but that, but bell bottom jeans and feathered hair for men.

#133 Posted by Saik0u (100 posts) -

This thread made me check out Kill La Kill and Baccano!
Thanks.

#134 Posted by kagato (950 posts) -

Everyone needs to check out DD Hokuto no Ken (super deformed fist of the north star), it has been a constant source of amusement for me over the past few months. It isnt the best anime in the world, it wont blow your mind but it will make you smile and thats important too ^_^

#135 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -

@mithical said:

This inspired me to check out KLK and I loved it. The action was good and I really liked Ryuko, but what surprisingly drew me in was I thought it was really funny. Anime humour typically doesn't get me to do more than crack a smile but something about the stuff in KLK had me laughing out loud plenty of times. If I had to guess I'd say it has good comedic timing. I find often an anime will take a concept I find funny and run it into the ground by dragging the joke out for too long. KLK tends to be a bit more snappy and relies more on visuals instead of dialogue to tell the joke. I'm also never usually down with the comic relief character but I thought Mako was pretty great.

Of course as things ramp up and stakes are raised in typical shonen fashion, action and plot exposition start to take over and comedy takes a backseat. It thankfully still pops up every now and then but I was much happier with the comedy/action balance struck in the first third or so of the series.

Following recommendations from this thread I've moved on to Gurren Lagann and although I'm only 4 episodes in, it's not quite grabbing me. There's not as much of a focus on comedy. Kamina's macho persona was alright at first but has already begun to tire on me. I'm not really a fan of giant robots (if you can imagine such a thing). I'll stick with it but my expectations aren't high.

Awesome. It's weird to think that anything I write causes real people to spend time doing things :). I totally agree about the comedy, timing, and surprising likeableness of Mako. I'm planning on giving Gurren Lagann a shot soon -- I'm curious what I think of it given the mixed opinions in this thread.

@bassman2112: Thanks for the boatload of suggestions. You've sold me on Madoka.

@jesushammer said:

That's the cool thing about subjective opinions man, there is no reason for them to be "wrong." This is why people say anime is for jerks, when you make binary statements like that. [...]

I've been continuing to watch SAO (I'm on episode 8 or so), and I'm still on board with it. The first few episodes felt kind of aimless and the early business with Sachi and Silica was toeing an uncomfortable line (at least for me), but the show's settled into a rhythm focusing on Kirito and Asuna that I'm relatively into. I've heard some veiled references to the show going totally off the rails and/or getting "gross" at a certain point, but at least thus far I'm not seeing why people hate it so much.

@geirr said:

My wife loves this anime so I kinda caught most of the story via glances and listening. It's fairly entertaining though it's still knee-deep in some anime-ass tropes that, while they joke around with them and make them seem less serious, are still there which didn't help my enjoyment of it. However certain parts are amazing and if you can/dare, pull your stick out of your ass and turn off your brain and let this anime take you on a strange and wonderful journey.

Is she watching the dub? If so, what do you think of it? I've talked to a couple of people about the show but wasn't sure if the dub was worth endorsing as an option. It can be a really difficult show to keep up since it so often has multiple people talking at once or someone yelling while a huge block of text is filling the screen, so I could see a dub making the show easier to keep up with for a casual watcher.

#136 Posted by StarvingGamer (8471 posts) -

@bassman2112 said:
@jesushammer said:

That's the cool thing about subjective opinions man, there is no reason for them to be "wrong." This is why people say anime is for jerks, when you make binary statements like that. [...]

I've been continuing to watch SAO (I'm on episode 8 or so), and I'm still on board with it. The first few episodes felt kind of aimless and the early business with Sachi and Silica was toeing an uncomfortable line (at least for me), but the show's settled into a rhythm focusing on Kirito and Asuna that I'm relatively into. I've heard some veiled references to the show going totally off the rails and/or getting "gross" at a certain point, but at least thus far I'm not seeing why people hate it so much.

The first third is pretty good, the second third is one of my favorite things in anime, the last third shits the bed in some really strange, unexpected ways.

Still one of my favorite anime on the strength of the second third.

#137 Edited by jiggajoe14 (793 posts) -

@mithical: My comedy recommendations are generally: Nichijou, Detroit Metal City, Cromartie High School, and Great Teacher Onizuka.

I have yet to watch Kill la Kill. I'm not sure if it's up my alley, but it's probably worth something giving a try. Fanservice is such a tricky thing to deal with to me. For example, going from Bakemonogatari to Nise and then to Monogatari was a bit of leap in quality for me due to how they handled fanservice (Bake & Mono were great whereas I didn't care for Nise).

I must say that I jumped on the anime train a bit late. I had watched toonami stuff when I was younger (Sailor Moon, DBZ, Gundam Wing and 08th Team), but I didn't really get into until 2 years ago. I must say when I really reached into the vault I found some real treasures. Shows like Legend Of The Galactic Heroes, Mushishi, Mononoke, and Monster are easily among the greatest tv shows period. From the great art styles of the likes of Madoka Magicka, Mononoke, and Fate/Zero to the calming joy of Natsume Yuujinchou, there is so much great variety to choose from....unless it's Mars Of Destruction. Anyone who likes that is a jerk.

#138 Posted by Demoskinos (15103 posts) -

I'm just going to throw out that Panty and Stocking is pretty damn funny if were throwing out recommendations for comedy anime. That is assuming you're not afraid to laugh at vulgar potty humor.

#140 Edited by Akyho (1692 posts) -

Like many say you're next logical destination of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I would also recommend FLCL as it was the Kill La Kill of 2000's. (despite me only surviving 6 episodes of Kill La kill before the pacing killed my attention.) I have a bit of an off kilter view on anime, I am a huge anime fan and geek, however I have a disconnect from 2007 onwards with anime. I just have a hard time accepting more modern anime E.G Kill La Kill despite it being one of the more watchable shows.

Here is FLCL that I have watched many many times.

Now I must do my obligatory suggestions ignoring whatever your status or even likes are in the anime fandom.

Legend of Galactic Heroes, is is an anime with with no anime bullshit. Kill La Kill is nothing BUT anime bullshit (Hey I love me some Anime bullshit...you will see with my second recommendation), a future space war drama, best anime I have ever seen ever ITS THE BEST MEDIA I HAVE EVER CONSUMED! If anyone is serious watch the first two movies and ignore the first two episodes.

My next suggestion is Dominion Tank Police.....purely by the name you should be interested. Sum things up Tank Police is a cyberpunk future Sci fi action comedy.

I mean I could go on from the coolest Cyberpunk anime to the wackiest anime.

Cyber City Oedo 808 is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILQ_pvI4AGI

As for Whacky there is Redline (anime Whacky races) fantastically animated movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t26m_Q6ENo

A whacky well animated movie also is Dead leaves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT9-l9SkihI

I will stop or I could be here for hours.

#141 Edited by GaspoweR (3359 posts) -

Kill La Kill spoiler

This one scene in one of the later episodes for some weird reason sold me on Mako

He's not only a SAILOR UNIFORM, but also an ALIEN?!?

#142 Edited by GaspoweR (3359 posts) -

@branthog: If you've got Netflix, I suggest you give Psycho-Pass a shot. I just finished it recently and boy did I enjoy it. If you like some detective, future Japan, cop drama, you'll get a kick out of this show. I don't know what other anime shows/movies you've seen but you might enjoy this one.

EDIT: I have to clarify, there are points that it can get pretty violent since the cases do involve murders but some of it is not exactly shown but rather implied with splatter, etc. or you can only see the aftermath in a crime scene or during chase scenes where they're taking down a suspect/criminal. The story is what really got me through along with the few instances of action scenes (there are not a lot of them). I hope I'm not making a bad suggestion to you here because of that. Hehe!

Also another suggestion though I haven't finished watching it myself, you might like Steins;Gate as well.

#143 Posted by bassman2112 (850 posts) -

@bassman2112: Thanks for the boatload of suggestions. You've sold me on Madoka.

@bassman2112 said:
@jesushammer said:

Hope the suggestions helped! You really will like Madoka. It truly sets its tone into motion around Episode 3 - that's all I will say.

And yeah, I get what you're into with SAO. I felt like that show actually became somewhat good when they stopped doing individual episodes focusing on random stuff. When it started having one cohesive arc is when the show got way better. SAO II is way better for this, the entire show has had one arc so far. Though, THE CLIFFHANGERS ARE THE WORST!!!!

The first third is pretty good, the second third is one of my favorite things in anime, the last third shits the bed in some really strange, unexpected ways.

I'm really fond of the ALO arc, actually (Spoilers for second half of season 1 btw). I know a lot of people weren't, and I get why - Asuna being powerless was really weird considering the first half of the show - but I found some of the stuff they touched on to be pretty good =D

#144 Edited by StarvingGamer (8471 posts) -

@starvinggamer said:

I'm really fond of the ALO arc, actually (Spoilers for second half of season 1 btw). I know a lot of people weren't, and I get why - Asuna being powerless was really weird considering the first half of the show - but I found some of the stuff they touched on to be pretty good =D

Actually my biggest problem with it is how randomly servicey it becomes. It's completely jarring, especially in contrast to how they handled the romance between Kirito and Asuna in such an unexpectedly mature and adult way for a shonen anime.

#145 Edited by bassman2112 (850 posts) -

@bassman2112 said:
@starvinggamer said:

Actually my biggest problem with it is how randomly servicey it becomes. It's completely jarring, especially in contrast to how they handled the romance between Kirito and Asuna in such an unexpectedly mature and adult way for a shonen anime.

Agreed. If you saw the OVA that came out before season 2, that problem is only intensified. I totally agree, the way they handle Kirito x Asuna is really strong; but yeah, the fan service stuff is annoying. Hopefully you've seen some of Season 2 =) It is way better in a lot of regards.

#146 Posted by jiggajoe14 (793 posts) -

@akyho: My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars & Overture To A New War are sooooooooooooooooo amazing!

#147 Posted by syz (252 posts) -

SAO is pretty much the modern hallmark of the demise of anime, ending Code Geass' 8 year reign. Fortunately the medium finds a way to persist despite such things.

#148 Edited by Aegon (5763 posts) -

@mithical said:

Yeah, I watched Kill La Kill first and I got up to episode 8 of Gurren Lagann so far and I'm not enjoying it as much. The pacing is worse, the characters not as interesting (or at least, not as consistently interesting), and even as crazy as the life fibers are, they make more sense than the Ganmen. I'm surprised at how many episodes of Gurren Lagann so far have not been great. Maybe KLK had one or two duds, but I remember it being super consistent with its craziness and humor. I'll continue watching though. With how ep 8 ended, it seems like there's quite a bit of potential for change.

#149 Posted by StarvingGamer (8471 posts) -

@bassman2112: I haven't seen season 2 yet. I hate watching in-progress shows. It tends to all blur together and I end up forgetting most of it by the end. When I binge-watch stuff start-to-finish in a couple days it always ends up sticking with me better. I'll just wait for all of season 2 to come out before I jump in.

#150 Posted by azrailx (449 posts) -

@aegon: you are crazy.

that is a fact.

but really gurren starts slightly slow but by the second half its just too good to be true =p