• 141 results
#1 Edited by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -
#2 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Weird, I was just talking about how shitty he is with my grandma today.

Also this

#3 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Crazy. I am very interested if the policies of N. Korea will change. I doubt it because his son is replacing him, right?

#4 Posted by Irvandus (2880 posts) -

Well this will be interesting.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24969 posts) -

@Dany said:

Crazy. I am very interested if the policies of N. Korea will change. I doubt it because his son is replacing him, right?

I don't see anything changing in the short term, but if his son feels like making his own mark on North Korean history, things could get very interesting, indeed.

#6 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

BBC-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16239693

Cant link, on mobile.

#7 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2054 posts) -

Didn't the story of Homefront have something to do with him dying?

#8 Posted by EuanDewar (4965 posts) -

More like Kim Jong I'll need a coffin.

Fuck you Ben.

#9 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

He died from physical and mental over-work says N. Korea news network propaganda machine.

#10 Posted by Teoball (613 posts) -

Oh no. The creator of the Hamburger is dead!

#11 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -
The announcer, wearing black, said he had died on Saturday of physical and mental over-work.

What the hell does that mean?

#12 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Homefront is happening!

#13 Edited by bushpusherr (789 posts) -

His dead father is still the head of the state as a corpse...soooo I'm not sure all that much will change. North Korea is fucked up

#14 Edited by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

The announcer, wearing black, said he had died on Saturday of physical and mental over-work.

Kim Jong Il may have suffered from hypertension, diabetes and experienced several strokes, but the North Koreans would never admit to it. He succumbed to some illness.

his son is Kim Jong Un, is that a Korean thing? Are all Korean Children named after their parents with a slight modification at the end? Or is that just a Kim Jong, Remember the name, thing?

#15 Posted by bartok (2487 posts) -

I thought Kim's son had been in power for at least a couple of years.  So I doubt much will change.  Expect an elaborate funeral filled with choreographed mourners who are literally starving to death.

#16 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -
@Mordukai said:

He thought himself to death, clearly.
#17 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:

@Mordukai said:

Kim Jong Il may have suffered from hypertension, diabetes and experienced several strokes, but the North Koreans would never admit to it. He succumbed to some illness.

his son is Kim Jong Un, is that a Korean thing? Are all Korean Children named after their parents with a slight modification at the end? Or is that just a Kim Jong, Remember the name, thing?

I think Kim would be his last name, for us westerners.

I could be wrong though.
#18 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

I'm not exactly sure what this means for North Korea (probably not much, I don't think he's been in charge for awhile now), but I'm totally interested to see where they go from here (probably fuckin' nowhere).

#19 Posted by Seedofpower (3932 posts) -

FINALLY!

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

Their naming conventions are different than ours. I'm pretty sure they have the whole reversed order thing going on.

#21 Posted by JasonR86 (9714 posts) -

I wonder how the new leader will look at foreign relations. Hopefully better then his predecessor.

#22 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

@Dany said:

Yup, some people are speculating they'll get worse.

#23 Posted by AjayRaz (12429 posts) -
#24 Posted by Hailinel (24969 posts) -
#25 Posted by Toxin066 (3290 posts) -

I guess he was feeling a little too ILL!

#26 Posted by SSully (4199 posts) -

RIP. (JK)

#27 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -
#28 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -
#29 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Is the son that is taking over the one that went to Disneyland? Or is this another son? Because anyone who likes Disneyland is chill in my book.

#30 Posted by Darknaut (126 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

@Mordukai said:

Kim is the family name, Jong Il was his given name. It's not a mandatory Korean naming policy that children take on similar names to the parents, but it does happen with some frequency. It's kind of similar to the western way of giving a son the father's name, in such that he becomes "John Smith II" or "John Smith Jr." etc (like you guessed, it's an identity thing). There are, however, just as many if not more Koreans with names dissimilar from their parents than there are ones that follow this convention.

#31 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Mordukai said:

He thought himself to death, clearly.

He worked to his dying breath for the people of North Korea or this is just spin to make the N. Korea People feel happy about themselves as they starve.

#32 Edited by Berserk007 (208 posts) -

Good, now we just need to figure out how to give the whole regime diabetes, doughnut care packages perhaps.

#33 Posted by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

I hope that the ascension of Kim Jong-un will go peacefully and without much resistance from the military. While North Korea does need freedom, a military power struggle could only end up bringing chaos and unneeded casualties.

Kim Jong-un is not particularly popular, and he was only announced as an heir last year. Though, even that announcement of succession was murky at best. He has not been in power over the government, only over part of the puppet parliament. Kim Jong-Il is still technically the supreme ruler even while dead; though, it's unclear how much they'll actually care about that, since the even more supreme Great Leader Kim Il-sung, Jong-Il's father, is still technically the eternal president as well. Kim Jong-Il did his own thing regardless of his father's original leadership, and Kim Jong-un could be just as different. Though, I would warn against the idea that he'll simply take control. North Korea's military may indeed still want to take this opportunity to fight for their own full control of the nation. The transfer of power may not be clean or quick; though, for the sake of North Korean lives, I hope it will be. It's quite hard to predict without direct news media involvement.

An interesting time for the nation for sure. Hopefully either a peaceful one or one with great chance for change in the right direction.

#34 Posted by ShatterShock (70 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass said:

Didn't the story of Homefront have something to do with him dying?

For shits and giggles, I went onto GameTrailers to check the Homefront backstory trailer. According to the game's storyline, Kim Jong Il dies in 2012. Depending on how you choose to see it, either the game's storyline has been rubbished less than a year after it was released, or it's happening ahead of schedule!!!

...I choose the former.

#35 Posted by Barrock (3536 posts) -

His sons are even worse...

#36 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11796 posts) -

That's right people: Liberalized policies, a non-orwellian, non stalinist system of government, a population capable of feeding itself, normal diplomatic relations with the outside world...

All will still be utterly, totally out of reach.

#37 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

@Mordukai: A romanticized heart-attack.

#38 Posted by Animasta (14698 posts) -

south korea has placed their military on high alert

#39 Posted by Yummylee (21761 posts) -

Sounds like Golden material for a Southpark episode.

#40 Posted by Three0neFive (2294 posts) -

rip grorious reader

#41 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

I guess I'm the only one to suggest that perhaps he has been dead longer than suggested, not by any large sum of time, but you get the idea.

Also WW3.

#42 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@BigChickenDinner:Wouldn't be surprised that they would want to hide it and 'protect' the people from the 'tragedy'

#43 Posted by Salbert (40 posts) -

RIP

#44 Posted by VodkaMedia (41 posts) -

@Toxin066: You're forgetting something.

#45 Posted by Vinny_Says (5712 posts) -

Great, a bunch of video game nerds will now tell us about korean and world politics.

At least he was really good at looking at things....

#46 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (722 posts) -

i doubt much will change since one of his sons will be taking over. i have a feeling things are about to become much more crazy. kim jong un has lots to prove. i'm certain he'll be willing to show the world what he's capable of.

#47 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
#48 Posted by Milkman (16845 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

Hookers and blow.

#49 Posted by Emperor_Norton (44 posts) -

The exchange I just had with my mom:

Mom: Kim Jong Two just died!

Me: You mean Kim Jong IL?

Mom: Ill? No, he's dead!

Ah, old people...

#50 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -