Kinda touchy subject...but I want to be serious about it.

• 75 results
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By RichardLOlson

So what I want talk about the 200th episode of south park and why comedy central edited the show without the approval of Matt Stone and Trey Parker.  Now somethings I'm going to say or show you may be offensive to some people or it may not be...some people not want to talk about this, but I'm up for a serious conversation.  I'm not trying to start anything, just have an adult conversation and see what others may think.

Well as you may or may not know, comedy central had the nerve to edit the two south park episodes, because some muslim group in New York decided to post a threat on there forum.  This so called muslim group did not want the creators of the show to put a picture of the prophet Muhammed on there and felt that it was wrong.  Well I don't see anything wrong with this: 

But for some reason they don't approve of this.  Now I'm not a judging person and I don't try to push my beliefs or "religions" on any one.  But I did come across an article that made me think. 
http://www.islam-watch.org/AyeshaAhmed/Pedophilia-Islam-Allah-allowed-Prophet-Muhammad-Practised.htm

I don't know if there hatred for America is just that bad, they are willing to try and control what we say or what we do.  But they talk about our god and our beliefs, do we try and stop them from voicing there opinion?....Last time I checked, this was America and we could pretty much say damn near what we wanted to say.  Without some radical group getting in our face about it...or posting some cry baby threat, because they don't like what we have to say about them.   Boo hoo....suck it up and get over it!  I for one think we should speak out minds more often and not have to hide, when some whack job in a turbin decides to go all crazy over something that was meant to be a harmless joke.  I'm for free speech, I'm for apple pie, and I'm for doing what feels right.

P.S.  If your moderators or big boys decide to take this off the forums, cause you feel you don't want to stir up anything...I understand....but at least a few people got to hear my words and at least speak there own mind about the issue....if it does stay up in the forums, I hope to hear some intelligent insight on what you think about.

No Caption Provided
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DCFGS3

They don't have to depict the Prophet, but it doesn't stop others. Quite frankly it's censorship. People need to just get over religion.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

Been discussed and look at my avatar - that is my personal protest.  I dare Islamic militant groups to bomb the Giantbomb.  I dare you.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Kyreo
@oldschool: haha... then we'd invade Kotaku or Gamespot just for lulz.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RichardLOlson
@oldschool said:
" Been discussed and look at my avatar - that is my personal protest.  I dare Islamic militant groups to bomb the Giantbomb.  I dare you. "
I'll join the fight brother...I'll be right there fighting with ya.  They won't dare bomb Giantbomb.
Avatar image for livingitlarge22
Livingitlarge22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Livingitlarge22

It is kind of hard to be serious about it. It's a bunch of silliness. A silly show (which I love) making silly comments about people who are silly and take themselves to seriously and a network afraid of showing something they have already shown, and if that is not silly then I do not know what is. I downloaded the 200th episode over XBOX live on Monday. I checked today, the episode is no longer available, yet every other episode from the last 7 seasons are. I'm wondering if they'll even put episode 201 up for download Monday.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RsistncE

Muslims aren't the only "crybabies" as far as religious groups are concerned. Christians, Jews, hell even Buddhists. The list goes on and on. The only problem is that there ARE times where free speech needs to be restricted, especially when it promotes discrimination or violence against any visible group. In the case of this episode of South Park, I am sure that many Muslims felt they were being discriminated against.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hero_swe

I was annoyed when I watched the second episode and heard that they censored even HIS NAME, like every time they spoke it there was a bleep. Insanely annoying, what is more annoying is because of that, I don't know if the long bleeps at the end were on purpose or more censorship. 

Religion is frankly just retarded, it has done nothing for humanity in this era save for cause wars and murder and suicide bombings. I won't say Religion has always been bad, but now it's just like a childhood tradition. Trying desperately to hold on for it's dear life, becoming heavier and heavier to carry with us as the world moves on
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
@Kyreo said:
" @oldschool: haha... then we'd invade Kotaku or Gamespot just for lulz. "
@Kyreo said:
" @oldschool: haha... then we'd invade Kotaku or Gamespot just for lulz. "
Wouldn't it be freakin' hilarious if an Islamic group actually threatened this site because of an avatar.  More importantly, who thinks I would be moderated in the "best" interests of the site?
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lautaro
@RichardLOlson said:
   Boo hoo....suck it up and get over it!  I for one think we should speak out minds more often and not have to hide, when some whack job in a turbin decides to go all crazy over something that was meant to be a harmless joke.  I'm for free speech, I'm for apple pie, and I'm for doing what feels right.  
  Oh i thought you were taking this subject seriously, my mistake.
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By fripplebubby
@oldschool: Honestly, I can say if someone actually threatened to bomb the GB office, I would change my avatar. I believe in free speech and all, but I would probably cave just due to the fact that some people are willing to sacrifice their life for their religion, and I cannot say i'd be willing to sacrifice lives for free speech.  

Sorry to bring the solemnity.  
FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FirePrince

It is pretty stupid.Comedy and parodies should be left alone.It's to make you laugh,no one ever intended to stir controvesy.  
@Kyreo:  
Is that who I think it is in your avatar?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
@Lautaro said:
" @RichardLOlson said:
   Boo hoo....suck it up and get over it!  I for one think we should speak out minds more often and not have to hide, when some whack job in a turbin decides to go all crazy over something that was meant to be a harmless joke.  I'm for free speech, I'm for apple pie, and I'm for doing what feels right.  
  Oh i thought you were taking this subject seriously, my mistake. "
I think you are being harsh simply focusing on a single point.  Yes, they wear a turban (as do Sikhs) and it just becomes a focus point of reference.  It could have been a "whack job wearing a cross".  All you do by isolating that is divert the subject for no good reason, based on an assumption.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Brians

It sucks, but I think Comedy Central was worried about people that work with them. I also agree with Jon Stewart's take of the issue.

Where he had a Choir sing Go Fuck Yourself after showing some of the religious parody the Daily Show has done.  Which is very funny but not on a service where I can share the video so I'll share the link. 

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-april-22-2010/south-park-death-threats

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
@Fripplebubby said:
" @oldschool: Honestly, I can say if someone actually threatened to bomb the GB office, I would change my avatar. I believe in free speech and all, but I would probably cave just due to the fact that some people are willing to sacrifice their life for their religion, and I cannot say i'd be willing to sacrifice lives for free speech.   Sorry to bring the solemnity.   "
Not that I think you are wrong as such, but this is how bad people win.  If someone was on trial for murder and others threaten death of many if the trial goes on, do we just stop and let him go?  It is that very weapon they employ (criminals use it as well) that gets them what they want.  You have to take a stand somewhere.  If no-one did, Christians would still be killing people for any number of reasons - it stopped because of a courage of conviction to stand up to them.  If you give in on one, then you give in again and again.  The full might of the secret services and armed forces, used in a covert way must be allowed to rain hell upon the people who do this when they are tracked down.
PAT4019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PAT4019
@Fripplebubby: Not to mention the fact that it wouldn't have been the actions of the staff of giantbomb.com encouraging the threats but the users themselves. So should such a thing occur (and it won't) what gives users the rights to incur retaliation when they have 'no skin in the game'?
Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mr402

Disregard threats made by these groups if you want but history has shown that people of faith are not to be taken lightly.   I'm not a religious man by any means but I do understand the power these views/images have for those that believe.    Comedy Central is just covering there ass in the face of what most likely is bullshit but could be real.   That's the problem with threats made with religious undertones in them.  All it takes is that one crazy motherfucker who believes with all his heart that what that show is doing is wrong and that they are going to fix it in the name of whatever.   BOOM!!!!!   No more fucking Cartman.    Logic would dictate that religion and faith are just the creations of man to explain the unexplainable but it doesn't change the fact that those individuals who choose faith over logic can be the most unpredictable people on earth.    So say what you want and do what you want.   Just be prepared to answer to those that are willing to make you back it up.  

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lautaro
@oldschool said:
" @Lautaro said:
" @RichardLOlson said:
  Oh i thought you were taking this subject seriously, my mistake. "
I think you are being harsh simply focusing on a single point.  Yes, they wear a turban (as do Sikhs) and it just becomes a focus point of reference.  It could have been a "whack job wearing a cross".  All you do by isolating that is divert the subject for no good reason, based on an assumption. "
The point is I wouldn't take someone who said "whack job wearing a cross" any more seriously, you either promote serious discussion about things like these or you take the piss. The OP may claim to be the former but i think he is far closer to the latter (see "cry baby threat" and "i'm for apple pie in a serious discussion) . I am not trying to start trouble, but as someone who over the years has seen the media portrayal of Islam and Muslims in general, whenever this topic comes up it leads to all sorts of ignorant statements.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Skald

But depicting their prophet serves no purpose aside from offending Muslims. It's not for any educational purpose- it's just crossing the line for no reason except for shock value.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mrfizzy

Ok, getting one thing out the way here, i am in no way religious, i am an atheist. HOWEVER! i do still believe that people have every right to practice any religion that they choose. It is their choice. I have an issue with the whole South Park think for one reason, i think that the whole "joke" of showing him in a bear suit was done less for entertainment and more for controversy. In other words, they put it in less because it was funny and more because they knew the reaction that it would get.  
Also, because i have no doubt that this is turning into a discussion about Muslims and Islam in general id like to point out the idea that "Muslim extremists are to Islam what the KKK is to Christianity". (and if anyone was wondering, yeah, i stole that from the West Wing)    

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho

Its easy enough to be brave behind a monitor from your house, because the fact is you yourself would never experience the repercussions of instigating a riot. It just feels a little superficial, for people who are clearly not in danger to act like speaking out is brave of them. Comedy Central, at the end of the day, did what they did to avoid litigation. Its called covering your ass. I don't expect network entities to be pioneers of free speech so Im not that outraged. I am of course bothered by the idea of enabling terrorists by abiding their demands. Im also bothered that they think, of all the things radical Muslims kill westerners over, this would somehow lead to the next 9-11. That;s just asinine, obviously the people sending threats on this are low down on the totem pole and probably couldn't even figure out the logistics of making an underwear bomb. But at the end of the day its CN's prerogative to do what they did.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hero_swe

KKK just hides behind christianity, they're just racist.  

Radical muslims though are taught en massé that the western world is bad and needs to be exterminated!
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Coombs
@Fripplebubby said:

" @oldschool: Honestly, I can say if someone actually threatened to bomb the GB office, I would change my avatar. I believe in free speech and all, but I would probably cave just due to the fact that some people are willing to sacrifice their life for their religion, and I cannot say i'd be willing to sacrifice lives for free speech.   Sorry to bring the solemnity.   "

Then you Don't believe in Free Speech you simply pretend to,
 Shame on you.

Free speech is the right of every truly free person, And anyone who is not willing to fight for that right is not deserving of it.
slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By slax
@extremeradical said:
" But depicting their prophet serves no purpose aside from offending Muslims. It's not for any educational purpose- it's just crossing the line for no reason except for shock value. "
Yeah I'm with you on this. But then again I've never been the biggest proponent for South Park.
ipenguini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ipenguini

It will always come down to how you interpret things. Every one is wrong and every one is right. It's always what's the widest accepted interpretation, there will always be fucked up things because of fucked up people. But it's always good when ideas gets criticized and viewed from a new perspective. And I think south park isn't the best one but they obviously gets people talking. But it will always comes down to the quote: "No man, no problem".

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
@Slax said:

" @extremeradical said:

" But depicting their prophet serves no purpose aside from offending Muslims. It's not for any educational purpose- it's just crossing the line for no reason except for shock value. "

Yeah I'm with you on this. But then again I've never been the biggest proponent for South Park. "
That just dodges the issue. That Muhamad gets a special exception. The context literally doesn't matter at all, even bringing it up is a red herring.  

" But depicting their messiah serves no purpose aside from offending Christians. It's not for any educational purpose- it's just crossing the line for no reason except for shock value. "    

I don't see a valid point in this line of thinking. Satire is always cheap to the person on the other end of the stick. Should satire be illegal? People defending this asinine double standard seem to lean on the idea that we should censor even more, that way we don't notice the special exception Muslims get. That's not a solution.
slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By slax
@ryanwho said:
" @Slax said:
" @extremeradical said:
Yeah I'm with you on this. But then again I've never been the biggest proponent for South Park. "
That just dodges the issue. That Muhamad gets a special exception. The context literally doesn't matter at all, even bringing it up is a red herring. "
 Well then in an attempt to not dodge the issue, I think that Comedy Central has every right to censor the show they allow on air. It's their call, and I feel that whatever decision they make is well within their bounds. I don't think it impinges on freedom of speech in the slightest. 
The South Park guys can go release it online or something un-censored if they feel like they were slighted.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I can understand why Muslims would get angry over this, it directly goes against one of the rules of their religion and I kind of respect someone who is that passionate about their beliefs. They are far more passionate about following their religion than most people are over free speech.

I do think Comedy Central made the problem worse by going over board on censorship, but perhaps some information came up that we are not privy to.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vamino

I specifically liked that they took some of the depictions of the other religious figures further to point how ridiculous it is that they can't even SHOW Muhammad. Specifically, they can show Bhudda doing lines of coke and Jesus as loving internet porn and taking his own name in vain ("Lets hope to Christ this works"), and that's fine and dandy (and indeed, I found it pretty damn funny). But then they can't even SHOW Muhammad. That's a seriously messed up double standard. South Park has a decent tradition of slagging organised religion as a whole, and that there's one group they can't really get at due to threats is idiotic. Comedy Central should sack up and show it. It should be more like the European/Scandanavian countries who showed the now infamous cartoon depiction in their newspapers. They had the right idea. 

The Daily Show video had a great point: Their guy said that yes, it would offend him to see a depiction of Muhammad, even as a cartoon, but what offends him more is someone from a faith he believes in threatening another person for doing it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho
@Slax said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @Slax said:
" @extremeradical said:
That just dodges the issue. That Muhamad gets a special exception. The context literally doesn't matter at all, even bringing it up is a red herring. "
 Well then in an attempt to not dodge the issue, I think that Comedy Central has every right to censor the show they allow on air. It's their call, and I feel that whatever decision they make is well within their bounds. I don't think it impinges on freedom of speech in the slightest.  The South Park guys can go release it online or something un-censored if they feel like they were slighted. "
We're in agreement here. Im more bothered that this an issue in 2010 on principle. That 20/20 or Dateline could never even do a story on Muhammad, in the context of understanding the enemy's rationale for fighting. Southpark's point in bringing it up was that we've been fighting a war for almost a decade and we're not even allowed to talk about specific core issues pertaining to it for fear of instigating further attacks from people who already have plenty of reasons to hate and attack us. We can't exactly pretend we're winning when fear of reprisal censors TV airing 8 thousand miles away.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic

no comment... don't let my first name fool you, i despise my race and my religion for being so fucking closed minded and iffy, and i've isolated myself from them since i was 13, fucking pigs with an ancient mentality ... 

Still, no comment, cuz this is pointless. just another "touchy" subject thrown at us like you throw a bone at a pack of dogs and watch them fight over it. we're those dogs right now and we ALL know that debating or discussing this matter wont get us anywhere.  
It's just how life is built, theres always some 'controversial' shit that keeps us busy. if you guys were smart enough you wouldnt even discuss it cuz its pointless.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pinworm45

Don't talk about Muhammed, terrorists win. Simple as that. 

Terrorists never win. Your religion is retarded. Actually, all of them are, others just aren't blowing each other up or crying because some dude drew a cartoon of your non-existent and useless prophet. 
 o 
-|-    <- Muhammed. 
 /\

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mattysen

This is such bullshit, what strictly Muslim person watches South Park? It's a show known for being highly offensive and people easily offended are told to stay clear every god damn episode. It's this generation of Muslim people who think that nothing should interfere with their cult. Here's a clip from South Park a handful of years ago, that if it came out recently would easily be band by the Muslim people.  

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bones8677

For those who say that all religion is "retarded" and the general hostility towards those you've never met in person, this image is for you.

No Caption Provided
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GunnBjorn

It's another step heading towards the inevitable abolishment of all religion (not just the Islam).  
The Church is heavily under fire as well, with the all the sexual abuse scandals. 
The cesspool keeps bubbling up.
Creepy enough, the bible prophecied this would happen and says it's a sign of 'The End of Days'. 
'Fallen, fallen is Babylon!' -  Revelations 18:2 (Remember this from BioShock 2?).
DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By DukesT3

Wasn't the episode with Jesus jerking off/watching porn on the internet and Buddha doing a line of coke? Then they just show Muhammad in a bear suit? It's a dude in a bear suit. Thats it. The Christians and Buddhist got it worse on this episode while the Muslims got it pretty easy with their "prophet". I'm not a religious person at all, to me that is just an excuse to act crazy. This is still America with free speech so if you don't like what we do here then just get the fuck out. Yet, they still live in our country, eat our numerous culturally different restaurants(well, maybe) and these fuckers are still protected by the first amendment to give them the right to protest about this country. I'm pretty tolerant of people, but this shit is just getting too out of hand. Good Muslims better stand up and make their voice heard cause right now your religion is on the top of my shitlist... and I hate Catholicism... and I'm hispanic and was raised on that shit. 

lhwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lhwll

honestly i think that everything was blown a bit out of proportion. i can understand that some people that practice certain religions might find some things that south park presents to be wrong but i think that its to be expected of the show. i mean i think most people know what the show is like and therefore if you dont like what they do or say then just dont watch the show. 

bombingrun217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bombingrun217

Alright just to clarify why the Muslims did not like the visual presentation of Muhammad. Muslims firmly believe that they worship Allah not Muhammad. They believe Muhammad should not have a visual image because it would misinterpret their religion as Muhammadism rather than Islam(They believe in God, not the Prophet. They have no picture of or portrait of Muhammad and do not wish to have him portrayed in a certain way whatsoever. 

Another note, to all the potentially ignorant atheists who say, "All God is false and pointless" please keep that opinion to yourself. You're only adding fuel to the argument.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By blackbird415

a broad statemnt is made "whats the deal with muslims?" the real question is "whats the deal with crazy people?" there are people out there who would be just as crazy in the christian religion if some people, more than likely from another country, make fun of christianity in a way that relates to their culture. Theres crazy people all around the world, religion really isnt part of it, though I think it is really ridiculous but it proves matt stone and trey parkers point of how ridiculous people are about muhammud, but thing is crazy people and dumb people are always ridiculous about their religion

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@RichardLOlson said:
" But I did come across an article that made me think. 
http://www.islam-watch.org/AyeshaAhmed/Pedophilia-Islam-Allah-allowed-Prophet-Muhammad-Practised.htm
     "

Ok well, i just asked my big brother about that point because initially i shared your feelings of disgust towards my own prophet for marrying a young girl, and he explained it to me (he's majored in islamic laws and stuff like that. Not an extremist at all though. totally peaceful and understanding and his islamic beliefs are purely spiritual) 

Now, i am quite positive that im wasting my time trying to have an understanding with you because 
  1. While im open to your input and disagreements, open to anything you say and will think about it from a neutral stand and if it makes sense i will agree with you, im sure you're unable to be neutral and that deep down inside you're not trying to understand or going to give the islamic defense front a chance, you're trying to SHOW that they're wrong and it's the only thing you believe in. I really wish it werent like that, and i hope im wrong, but from your tone in the original post i can absolutely see that you're not trying to see who's right, so much as PROVE that muslims are bad. 
  2. The islamic/arab society and the christian/western society are very very different, with different roots and beliefs and habits and traditions and mentalities and life styles. so a total understanding or even a 50% understanding is out of question.

All im doing here is giving you my brother's expert answer to the pedophilia accusations : 
"In islamic law, a man is allowed to marry a young girl by her father's approval, ONLY on paper and as a religious agreement and NOT a full marriage. meaning that he isnt allowed to have sex with her until she's ready and able, physically and mentally. Meaning that when the girl tells her mother that she's having her period and she can take a dick, her husband may have sex with her.  
However, if she when she grows up decides that she wants a divorce, she doesnt want this man and doesnt wanna be his wife or have sex with him, she totally can and the marriage is off. 
This is where you ask me "then what's the point of the early marriage? why not wait for her to grow up and decide?" Well, it's just like when a man likes a certain young man and thinks that he's a good strong person (when an employer likes one of his employees for example), so he 'promises' him that his young daughter will be his wife when she grows up.  Remember that back then, freedom of choice wasnt as essential and important as today. Some may even argue that your new laws and lifestyle in the west which cherish freedom of choice and giving teenagers so much time and freedom and having 18 as the 'adult age' is absolutely unnecessary, pointless and is the main reason young people are so fucking clueless and  cant depend on themselves. 
Back then there wasnt such a thing as legal age. If a young man is 14 years old but has a strong body which can work, fight in war and have sex and make babies, that makes him a man.  
A good example of that is the african tribes which had their young men fight when they became physically able, and had their women marry when they reached puberty and could bare a child " 

P.S. today it's no longer allowed in islam to marry a very young girl, unless she's able and ready (which means she has to be 13+ years old) which is ONLY for the islamic court (and the father) to decide.

"wait a second", my brother added, "How can that person (you, sir) talk about pedophilia when vatican scandals break out everyday about men of christian religion having sex with young BOYS (which is against religion and law and ethics while the young marriage in islam a thousand years ago was by the father permission and without sex until she's grown) , and when pedophiles have grown widely in number in america today, that they've become one of the main felon types over there?"  

That was his response. i find that it makes alot of sense and i no longer think that that article has valid points. 

I welcome your response, i hope it will be as civilized as mine was, and remember that all im trying to do is reach an understanding. I doubt that you'll be friendly but, what the heck. (funny thing is, i dont give a flying fuck about any of this. this is pretty much you and my brother talking :P )
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EvilDingo

I find this youtube-user's take on the issue refreshing: 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jimbo

Pretty much.  Your religious beliefs are yours, they belong to you.  If I want to draw a picture of, or make fun of, "Mohammed" then I will.  If I want to covet my neighbours wife, or eat meat on the third tuesday of the month or whatever the fuck, then I'll do that too.

I'll treat Islam with the same level of respect as any other religion - which is to say "barely tolerated".  I respect a person's right to hold whatever religious beliefs they like (though often not the beliefs themselves), right up to the point where they impact upon anybody that doesn't want them to.  And if those beliefs happen to contravene the law of the land then forget about it - the law should apply to everybody or nobody.

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tasus

Kinda the same situation we in Denmark had a couple of years ago with the so-called Muhammed Drawings. We got threatened, boycotted, protested against and other manners like that. The Islamic culture wanted us to apologies, but we didn't, because we have Liberty of Speech, and we stand by it. If you start to act on these presumably empty threats, you show that you are weak and can be manipulated with.

@Linkyshinks: I found the episode really funny, also the drawings made here in Denmark. Their purpose is to entertain, and they succeeded in that, at least with one person. Jesus has been featured in many South Park episodes, but no protests or threats based of that.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By meptron

what I want to know is what are Stone and Parker going to do about it?

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos: He will set them above their betters."
- H.L. Mencken

Muslims quite recently put forth another case for having Shia law in Sweden, and that only they would serve under it and thus go free from our normal laws. Do you guys think that perhaps when they're done blowing stuff up and smashing stuff to bits while demanding special privilieges, the rest of us can have our planet back?

I've always made a case of myself as falling under the Weak Atheism, but the more I see of muslims and their plain barbaric behaviour the more I start to lean towards Anti-Theism. I mean honestly, they're using our Free Speech to spread hate speech, death threats and can even stand around in the god damned streets while propagating how "Islam will rule the world!". Islam is not a peaceful, mind-thyself business like Buddhism for example, it is a disease that needs to be bloody stamped out.

What of the moderates, you ask? What of those that doesn't stand around, waving their machetes in the air?

I ask the same. WHERE ARE THEY? Usually when something shitty happens in any other religion there is someone, usually a moderate or someone of a different branch of that particular religion who stands up and condemn the other's despicable behaviour or whatever. Islam? Not a god damned word from the moderates. And as long as there are moderates, there will be a powerbase for the nutters.

Mankind has enough problems as it is without having to deal with a world-wide cult who are driven and motivated to follow the rules of some all-wise invisible sky-daddy and some illiterate child molester who openly states they want to rule the world. I've read the Qur'an and I really, really have to say: Do not bend to these fuckers. Give them a finger and they'll take your entire arm, and country. Just don't.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By JJWeatherman
@EvilDingo said:

" I find this youtube-user's take on the issue refreshing: 

"
lol. I agree with this dude. Also, he has killer sideburns.
Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tasus
@Linkyshinks:  I'm pretty sure Islam was discovered around year 600. 

• Pythaghoras lived ~530 years BC, lived in Greek, not a muslim. 
  •  Tycho Brahe lived from 1546 to 1601, he was a dane and not a muslim.    
     Quote about Tycho Brahe:  

Tycho is credited with the most accurate astronomical observations of his time, and the data was used by his assistant Kepler to derive the laws of planetary motion. No one before Tycho had attempted to make so many planetary observations.

• Galileo Galilei discored and defined the law of gravity, he lived in from 1564 to 1642 and was an italien, not a muslim.
  • Egypt build the pyramids ~2000 BC, a lot knowledge about mathematics and science  very used to build those. They were not muslims.

So, Muslims haven't really contributed with anything on that front. Actually, I can't really think of anything they've contributed with, no offence.

EDIT: The first lamps were used by Greek and Roman civilizations. But the first time street lamps were built was in the Arab Empire, especially Spain.
Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Linkyshinks said:
" @Flaime said:

" Kinda the same situation we in Denmark had a couple of years ago with the so-called Muhammed Drawings. We got threatened, boycotted, protested against and other manners like that. The Islamic culture wanted us to apologies, but we didn't, because we have Liberty of Speech, and we stand by it. If you start to act on these presumably empty threats, you show that you are weak and can be manipulated with.

@Linkyshinks: I found the episode really funny, also the drawings made here in Denmark. Their purpose is to entertain, and they succeeded in that, at least with one person. Jesus has been featured in many South Park episodes, but no protests or threats based of that. "

Christianity has no laws what so ever on the depiction of Jesus, Muslims do have laws on depicting their profit and other forms of god's creation, that's why they have no pictorial art, but instead have have high art on par with ours (discovered through rigorous mathematical endeavour*)  found within their architecture.  * Muslim cultures around the world are often depicted as being a backwards in the West, and this despite them making some of the biggest advances in mathematics, science and astronomy in our past. While they had street lighting, we had caves, but we never hear of this kind of thing today, one has to ask why.    Western scholars have filled the history books with bullshit.  "
I honestly can't see what past glories has to do with their present state. I've always heard they were very advanced for their time, but they also limit their knowledge to their national encyclopedia: The Qur'an, which WAS advanced so many years ago. Back in the day they may have flourished, but they are backwards nowadays, that is why they are depicted as such.
barkertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By barkertron
It's sad to see the kind of  lazy generalisations on a board like this which you'd usually find on other sites. There have been a few posts on this thread along the lines of "Muslims do this", "Muslims like to do that", "Muslims haven't done shit for me" that deeply disappoint me with the level of ignorance on display. 

Lumping everyone who belongs to a particular religion into one basket because of the mindless behaviour of a few idiot proponents is plain wrong, and you shouldn't need anyone to explain why. Someone brought up the KKK  as an example of how, by extension, you could use the actions of a small group of Christians to say that everyone who practises Christianity is a racist murderous fuckhead. Of course, we know that's not the case, but why should it apply to Islam? If Muslims really were the big bad enemy people like to make them out to be, wouldn't the 1.5 billion Muslims around the world have instigated a war on a scale far more serious than anything we've ever seen?

@Asrahn
said:

Do you guys think that perhaps when they're done blowing stuff up and smashing stuff to bits while demanding special privilieges, the rest of us can have our planet back?

I've read the Qur'an and I really, really have to say: Do not bend to these fuckers. Give them a finger and they'll take your entire arm, and country. Just don't.

This is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about. Who the hell are you to talk on behalf of the whole of Islam - a religious group that you clearly have no respect for in the first place? Personally I don't subscribe to any religion - I'm all about science and nerdism - but I hate seeing this level of ignorance on display. Perhaps you should make the effort to actually talk to some Muslims and not just believe the scaremongering crap that Fox and the assorted right wing media show you? 

Edit: Sorry about the bold type... can't seem to get rid of it
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lautaro
@barkertron said:
" It's sad to see the kind of  lazy generalisations on a board like this which you'd usually find on other sites. There have been a few posts on this thread along the lines of "Muslims do this", "Muslims like to do that", "Muslims haven't done shit for me" that deeply disappoint me with the level of ignorance on display. 

Lumping everyone who belongs to a particular religion into one basket because of the mindless behaviour of a few idiot proponents is plain wrong, and you shouldn't need anyone to explain why. Someone brought up the KKK  as an example of how, by extension, you could use the actions of a small group of Christians to say that everyone who practises Christianity is a racist murderous fuckhead. Of course, we know that's not the case, but why should it apply to Islam? If Muslims really were the big bad enemy people like to make them out to be, wouldn't the 1.5 billion Muslims around the world have instigated a war on a scale far more serious than anything we've ever seen?

@Asrahn
said:

Do you guys think that perhaps when they're done blowing stuff up and smashing stuff to bits while demanding special privilieges, the rest of us can have our planet back?

I've read the Qur'an and I really, really have to say: Do not bend to these fuckers. Give them a finger and they'll take your entire arm, and country. Just don't.

This is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about. Who the hell are you to talk on behalf of the whole of Islam - a religious group that you clearly have no respect for in the first place? Personally I don't subscribe to any religion - I'm all about science and nerdism - but I hate seeing this level of ignorance on display. Perhaps you should make the effort to actually talk to some Muslims and not just believe the scaremongering crap that Fox and the assorted right wing media show you?  Edit: Sorry about the bold type... can't seem to get rid of it "
You shouldn't really be surprised man, i'm not , on message boards people saying ridiculous shit like that is more of an expectation.