Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#155  Edited By Hailinel

@dudeglove said:

@PufferFiz said:

Well at least the money went to a good cause

LOL JERKING OFF IN PUBLIC

I'm not sure if there are better or worse ways to completely lose credibility than to go on a cocaine-fueled bender of public masturbation.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#156  Edited By SeriouslyNow

BONY 20!2

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#157  Edited By Jumanji

@Hailinel said:

@dudeglove said:

@PufferFiz said:

Well at least the money went to a good cause

LOL JERKING OFF IN PUBLIC

I'm not sure if there are better or worse ways to completely lose credibility than to go on a cocaine-fueled bender of public masturbation.

When did they confirm cocaine?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By NegativeCero

Well, this is a turn of events. I like how Twitter is using #KONY2012 to make jokes about masturbation. "Guess he's making invisible children."

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By benson

Maybe he just saw this?

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#162  Edited By Grimluck343

What's that man doing to that invisible child?

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#163  Edited By FilipHolm

@Grimluck343 said:

What's that man doing to that invisible child?

You clever bastard..

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By spudtastic

Our local newspaper ran an article about him just the other day. Your post was the first time I had heard the name, and I follow world news fairly well.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#165  Edited By forkboy

@dudeglove: That video is just the best. I've gotten drunk, but never that drunk. Of course, I've already seen people claiming this is all a conspiracy to silence a wonderful movement.

Those crazies have still refused to answer "to what end would they fake all this"? I'm just going to assume it's to do with 9/11, the nWo & lizardmen who rule the world, like every bat-shit insane conspiracy theory

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#167  Edited By Cirdain

@dudeglove said:

@forkboy said:

@dudeglove: That video is just the best. I've gotten drunk, but never that drunk. Of course, I've already seen people claiming this is all a conspiracy to silence a wonderful movement.

Those crazies have still refused to answer "to what end would they fake all this"? I'm just going to assume it's to do with 9/11, the nWo & lizardmen who rule the world, like every bat-shit insane conspiracy theory

This time around it's allegedly because of the 'discovery' of 2 million barrels of oil in Uganda two years ago. Now obviously those super secret shady shadow conspiracy guys are so greedy n'shit and want their hands on it, so their logical course of action is clearly to cook up a million-dollar hipster campaign about a lesser known local psychopath to sway US public opinion towards military intervention in Uganda (Kony allegedly isn't even in Uganda any more).

Where's HitmanAgent47 when you need him?

Still playing Skyrim probably.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By forkboy

@dudeglove: Niiiiice. Though 2 million barrels of oil doesn't sound like much, does it? The UK's offshore oil intake in 99 was about 50 times that. But I don't want to let facts & figures get in the way of craziness.

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By CyborgDuo

I wrote this a little while ago on the subject. I'm not sure if it's shitty or not. (I should work on recognizing that. I'm only in high school, but it's a useful skill to have.) I think it sums up my feelings:

The internet can be a wonderful tool for many people. Marketing used to be about focus groups, picking venues, appealing to your audience. Now, if you just target something at a group of people and send it out on the web, and if your message is just powerful enough, it will go viral. Many organizations use this to their advantage. The Kony 2012 campaign is just one of them.

In fact, not only does the Kony 2012 campaign use viral marketing, the very foundation of what it wants to accomplish is based on this new method of communication. It does this by appealing to a very specific demographic: teenagers and young adults, who, in this new age, are more likely to spread something on the internet. It uses very specific imagery to appeal to this audience. Throughout the promotional video, scenes of young, active, good-looking young people are seen running through the streets, slapping up posters of Kony’s face wherever they can while high-energy electronic music blares. (It is dubstep, to be precise, which has connotations of being “not-mainstream” and rebellious, and, ironically, is appealing to a large portion of the younger generation.) The shots evoke rebellion through its use of iconic, graffiti-like posters and imagery of large masses of people, resembling the hippies in the 60’s. Ask any angst-ridden teenager and they will tell you that rebellion is very much in their mind, so to capitalize on our yearning to rebel is extremely smart of them.

It does all of this to make a horrible war criminal, Joseph Kony, famous, in order to bring international support for his arrest. However, to build awareness for a cause is only half the battle. This is where Invisible Children starts to fall apart. In their released financial data on their website, only 37.14% of all their funds go to Central African organizations. The rest goes into awareness programs, merchandise, the promotional videos, fundraising, and management. This, as I said earlier, is only half the battle.

Most of the LRA’s focus is not in Uganda anymore, and has since been focused on South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. However, they continue to work with the Ugandan government, which has, itself, committed several human rights violations. In a statement on their website, the Invisible Children organization states:

“We do not defend any of the human rights abuses perpetrated by the Ugandan government or the Ugandan army (UPDF). None of the money donated through Invisible Children ever goes to the government of Uganda or any other government. Yet the only feasible and proper way to stop Kony and protect the civilians he targets is to coordinate efforts with regional governments.”

They continue to coordinate with the Ugandan government and other powers in the area. This conflict between their fight for peace and their coordination with a morally corrupt army also raises another question: What will the consequences be for encouraging a conflict between local governments and the deranged tyrant Kony? Obviously the problem cannot be ignored, but is the end result of bringing an evil man to justice worth the violence it is sure to cause?

I could go into other complaints skeptics have had with the campaign, such as it is perpetuating the concept of the “savior complex” in America. Some say the promotional video’s use of a small child to simplify the strife in Central Africa is insulting as well. Those arguments are less compelling to me as the potential misguidedness of the Kony campaign. It upsets me to even think about it. Perhaps, to relax, I’ll slip into Neuromancer, by William Gibson. It takes place in a world not far from our own. A world where everyone’s hooked up to networks, and bad men are always hiding in the shadows.

Avatar image for arproductions_hmg
ARProductions_HMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ever since I first seen the KONY 2012 video, I was very skeptical on it, then I did some research and found some articles that was saying KONY 2012 was a scam. Plus there was articles saying he has been out of power since 2006. Even a few celebrities like Wil Wheaton said it was a scam. Then this guy went completely nuts and did this, that put the nail in the coffin for me.

I understand people want to help, but they need to do research before they send money, especially in this generation.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171  Edited By Legend

I'll just leave this here.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#172  Edited By Legend

@Anwar: It's alright. I thought it was funny and wanted to share it with you, guys. :)

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@CyborgDuo said:
I could go into other complaints skeptics have had with the campaign, such as it is perpetuating the concept of the “savior complex” in America. Some say the promotional video’s use of a small child to simplify the strife in Central Africa is insulting as well. Those arguments are less compelling to me as the potential misguidedness of the Kony campaign. It upsets me to even think about it. Perhaps, to relax, I’ll slip into Neuromancer, by William Gibson. It takes place in a world not far from our own. A world where everyone’s hooked up to networks, and bad men are always hiding in the shadows.
Uhm dude in William Gibson novels bad men are out in the open.  It's the weirdos (Tessier Ashpool) and AIs (Neuromancer) and other who are hiding in the shadows and they're not specifically bad, just not human (TA started out human but you know cloning and living on and as part of a Satellite will change a personality construct) and so they don't think or act like we do.
CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By CyborgDuo

@SeriouslyNow: Sorry. I'm in the middle of reading Neuromancer, my first Gibson novel, and so far motives have been shadowy (mostly involving Armitage). Perhaps as I get to Wintermute things will become more clear!

Also, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH SPOOOOOOOOOOOIIILEEEERS

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By TheHumanDove

Implying the documentary makers arent corrupt as hell and cashing in on a non-issue from something that happened years ago and is currently over with, taking away attention on the actual needs of Africa.

Also implying the one guy isn't batshit insane and didn't run around the streets naked, shouting curses and smashing his fists into the pavement.

Oh facebook protest generation, are you even trying?

ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers