#1 Posted by Ho_Blivion (77 posts) -

AKA "The Environment for me is like a religion, and BP is shit!" . "We need to do our part to let BP know..." 

What do you think? Equal parts sad and amusing? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Motivated by the BP disaster and its devastating effects, heavy rock outfit Korn, who have sold more than 30 million records worldwide, take a stand by launching a boycott against using the company’s gasoline while on tour this summer.  The band has formally announced that it will not be fueling any of its touring vehicles with BP products and is strongly encouraging other touring artists to do the same.

“The daily images are hard to watch,” says Korn frontman Jonathan Davis. “We need to do our part to let BP know there are consequences for causing something like this. We want to send a message to corporations like BP so that they will take more preventative measures in the future.  The more costly their punishment, the more money they will spend to make sure disasters like this don’t happen again. It’s plain and simple capitalism.”

In a timely coincidence of life imitating art, Korn’s new album artwork, photography and stage set imagery reference the band’s hometown area near Bakersfield, CA and its bleak landscape littered with oil rigs. The video for the first single “Oildale (Leave Me Alone)” reveals a poverty-stricken area situated among the rich oil fields and tells a story of a young boy’s desire to escape.  The video story echoes the band’s own struggle out of Bakersfield.  Davis adds, “It was one thing for us to grow up near such poverty. But the situation in the Gulf takes things to a whole new level where people’s lives and livelihoods are affected forever.”

Korn will spend their summer as a headliner on the third annual Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festivalplaying in 14,000 to 30,000 seat amphitheaters. “We urge the other acts on Mayhem and anyone on tour this year to be with us on this,” Davis also said.

Korn is touring to support their upcoming album, due out July 13, 2010.  The title, Korn III – Remember Who You Are, is a reference to the band’s past and is a nod to their roots.   

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Korn-Boycott-Use-of-BP-Oil-During-Summer-Tour-Season-21519.aspx    

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13342 posts) -

I would have suggested they protest by canceling their tour and disappearing into obscurity, but that's just me.

#3 Posted by Meteora (5844 posts) -

I think some other bands have been boycotting BP through this mean as well. Just not sure who.

#4 Edited by jakob187 (22362 posts) -

I think Dimmu Borgir should boycott the use of KoRn on their tour. 

Also, why does KoRn even think they are fucking relevant anymore?  The two best parts of that band are gone:  Dave and Brian.

#5 Posted by SumDeus (1898 posts) -

As long as this has no effect on my consumption of corn, I don't care.

#6 Posted by jinxman (527 posts) -

At least they aren't canceling shows in protest like bands were doing to Arizona.  Not that I give a shit about Korn, but if I did and I had bought tickets to a show, I'd be fucking pissed if they canceled out of protest.

#7 Posted by EVO (4029 posts) -

I've been boycotting Korn for like 10 years.

#8 Posted by natetodamax (19421 posts) -

The fact that BP has to pay billions of dollars to fix everything isn't a clear enough message that they need to prevent stuff like this in the future?

#9 Posted by Dom (446 posts) -

People fight for the environment because caring sells

#10 Posted by AlwaysAngry (3004 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" I think Dimmu Borgir should boycott the use of KoRn on their tour."
I think Dimmu Borgir should just die for being such a pile of ass.
#11 Posted by ArchScabby (5877 posts) -

Korn isn't dead?

#12 Posted by RE_Player1 (7946 posts) -

Oil for me is a religion and BP is the shit. 

#13 Edited by Bones8677 (3376 posts) -

You damn Americans it's not called BP anymore! It's not called anything anymore! Stop blaming the British! British kids are going to go hungry now because of all of you! 

^_^

#14 Posted by damnboyadvance (4172 posts) -

Come on guys! Korn is doing it!

#15 Edited by Eisen (139 posts) -

Boycotting BP gas-stations hurts local business owners far more than it does BP.  BP gas stations are franchised.  If you want to hurt your local business owners, then by all means do this, but you are likely hitting the wrong target entirely.

#16 Posted by ninjakiller (3428 posts) -

Korn is still alive?  How many original members are still in that band?  Hasn't like everybody except for head and Davis bailed? 

#17 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

I think BP has learned their lesson. I'm not going to avoid their gas stations because of the spill. The catastrophe could have happened to any oil company.

#18 Posted by gakon (2008 posts) -
@Eisen said:
" Boycotting BP gas-stations hurts local business owners far more than it does BP.  BP gas stations are franchised.  If you want to hurt your local business owners, then by all means do this, but you are likely hitting the wrong target entirely. "
As someone who works for a small business, pretty much this.
#19 Posted by fisher81 (573 posts) -
@Eisen said:
" Boycotting BP gas-stations hurts local business owners far more than it does BP.  BP gas stations are franchised.  If you want to hurt your local business owners, then by all means do this, but you are likely hitting the wrong target entirely. "
Local oil owners are so innocent, right? Fucking four dollar gallons of gas.
#20 Posted by MikeHawk (425 posts) -
@Eisen said:
^ This. My dad is in the oil business (no, we are not filthy rich and no, we aren't affiliated with BP) and he pointed out that less than 10% of BP gas stations are even owned by BP. They're just the middleman.
#21 Edited by ZanzibarBreeze (3205 posts) -

I didn't know Korn even existed anymore. I think they had, like, no good songs.

#22 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3539 posts) -
@ninjakiller said:
" Korn is still alive?  How many original members are still in that band?  Hasn't like everybody except for head and Davis bailed?  "
Head bailed and so did David Silveria.
#23 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3539 posts) -

Also I think it's at least a way to get the word out about what happened with the whole BP thing to (sadly) uninformed people.

#24 Posted by ryanwho (12012 posts) -

Korn are still touring huh.

#25 Posted by George_Hukas (1319 posts) -
@jinxman said:
" At least they aren't canceling shows in protest like bands were doing to Arizona.  Not that I give a shit about Korn, but if I did and I had bought tickets to a show, I'd be fucking pissed if they canceled out of protest. "
Making a statement like that has more to do with ticket sales than the environment.

Not that I care about the environment.. I bought fucking BP stock on June 29th after it tanked. I'm all for the principal behind boycotting but lets be realistic, a company like BP will be back to making billions in no time considering how much they make before their product hits the pumps.
#26 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" Korn isn't dead? "
no, korn isn't dead. they came out with a new CD and are touring mayhem fest. 

good for them i guess. anyone will boycott anything that they want.
#27 Posted by jakob187 (22362 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @jakob187 said:
I think Dimmu Borgir should just die for being such a pile of ass. "
In comparison, I'll take Dimmu over KoRn.  Personally, I like neither of the bands.
#28 Posted by habster3 (3618 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @jakob187 said:
I think Dimmu Borgir should just die for being such a pile of ass. "
This. So should KoRn, mainly because both of them suck and I don't give a flying fuck about either of them.
#29 Posted by anarchyzombie9 (628 posts) -

Im sure Korn will get their message out to all the redneck 12-15 yr olds

#30 Posted by Organicalistic_ (3092 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" I would have suggested they protest by canceling their tour and disappearing into obscurity, but that's just me. "
same here, their tour wastes gas and jetfuel, wtf, if they gave a damn they'd go help clean the shit up
#31 Posted by nickystixx (201 posts) -

Korn played a great show here last sunday. good for them for taking a stand against the oil companies and encouraging others to do so as well.

#32 Posted by ZeForgotten (10368 posts) -

At least they're doing something compared to everyone here.  
Good on them

#33 Posted by kingkorn69 (340 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
" You damn Americans it's not called BP anymore! It's not called anything anymore! Stop blaming the British! British kids are going to go hungry now because of all of you!   ^_^ "
It is still called BP and its not Americans fault that your country put all the pensions into a stupid oil company and thought it was too big of a company to fail. Blame the Goverment that did that in the 1st place dude. And as for BP dude it is a British company through and through so what does America have to do with it.  Stop crying and get on with it.
#34 Posted by kingkorn69 (340 posts) -
@nickystixx said:
" Korn played a great show here last sunday. good for them for taking a stand against the oil companies and encouraging others to do so as well. "
Good!  I love how everyone hates them for just saying they won't use BP fuel.
#35 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

Fuck yeah! We're gonna party like it's 1994!

@kingkorn69 said:

" @nickystixx said:
" Korn played a great show here last sunday. good for them for taking a stand against the oil companies and encouraging others to do so as well. "
Good!  I love how everyone hates them for just saying they won't use BP fuel. "
Nobody uses that reason to hate Korn. That's like hating Hitler because he had brown hair.
#36 Posted by BionicMonster (1043 posts) -

Im going to Mayhemfest in a month and Korn is definitly not the reason.

#37 Posted by c1337us (5877 posts) -
@Eisen:  @MikeHawk:  That's not entirely true all though it soon will be in North America. Some time ago BP went through a process of buying back businesses from a lot of it's franchises. But I think the figure from water cooler talk is that they are looking to divest approximately 10 billion or so worth of assets in the region to recover a portion of what it has cost them in recovery, repair and claims. This will probably come from rigs, refineries and retail outlets together but it will mean a lot of sites changing hands or going back to franchisees. 
#38 Posted by c1337us (5877 posts) -

Also if anything should be boycotted it should be Korn, they have been irrelevant for years.

#39 Posted by Bones8677 (3376 posts) -
@kingkorn69 said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" You damn Americans it's not called BP anymore! It's not called anything anymore! Stop blaming the British! British kids are going to go hungry now because of all of you!   ^_^ "
It is still called BP and its not Americans fault that your country put all the pensions into a stupid oil company and thought it was too big of a company to fail. Blame the Goverment that did that in the 1st place dude. And as for BP dude it is a British company through and through so what does America have to do with it.  Stop crying and get on with it. "
Uh, dude, I was joking. My comment was a reference to another thread started by some British Troll here.
#40 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -
@Ho_Blivion: who's BP and what did they do?
#41 Posted by Detrian (1134 posts) -

YEAH FUCK BP OIL!

*uses tons of gas from another dangerous drilling company to transport himself, dumb band members, roadies, and piles of equipment and stagecraft*

#42 Posted by HandsomeDead (11854 posts) -

I don't think anyone gives a fuck about KoRn, let alone BP.

#43 Posted by Jeust (11563 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" I don't think anyone gives a fuck about KoRn, let alone BP. "
And BP doesn't give a fuck about KoRn or the rest of the world, as long as it doesn't interfere with the company's profit.
#44 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3687 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" Oil for me is a religion and BP is the shit.  "
the 11th post come on guys i'm disappointed.
#45 Posted by HandsomeDead (11854 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
And BP doesn't give a fuck about KoRn or the rest of the world, as long as it doesn't interfere with the company's profit. "
It is a company, not a charity.
#46 Posted by Icemael (6798 posts) -

...is Korn still around? I mean, I really liked some of their music, but they hardly strike me as a relevant band.

#47 Posted by Jeust (11563 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Jeust said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
And BP doesn't give a fuck about KoRn or the rest of the world, as long as it doesn't interfere with the company's profit. "
It is a company, not a charity. "
Yeah! Still it wouldn't hurt to have environmental concerns. As everyone loses with this.