Kpop, Kpop, and Kpop: The Discussion Thread

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By McGhee

I've been toying around with this idea for a while. We've got a wrastlin' thread and we've got an anime thread, but why not a Kpop thread? I know there are a few Kpop fans here, probably not as many as the previously mentioned threads, but a few. And perhaps we can also create a few more fans or pull some out of the closet. At the very least I can just pop in here and talk to myself every once in a while.

So this is the unofficial Kpop discussion thread. I am primarily going to focus on girl group comebacks and debuts, but there will be some Korean Indie stuff thrown in as well. I also welcome anyone to speak about any boy bands as well.

I've been waiting for a couple good comebacks to post this thread. And this is 4 Minute and T-ara N4.

Since Hyuna is brought up within the first page of every Kpop thread I start, I figured we'd just start with her. 4 Minute is back with some fun, synthy sounds and I actually like the bit of electronic fiddling done with the vocals. Let's be honest, sexy Hyuna needs it. As for the dance, what's with the whole pointing at the crotch and saying "What's my name?" thing. Weird. And watch the MV. The zombies attacking at the end is so out of left field. Who thought of that shit? If you want a good zombie Kpop MV, watch T-ara's Zombie version of "Lovey Dovey." But overall I'm digging it.

Next comes the one that I'm really stoked for and that is T-ara's new sub-unit T-ara N4. All-in-all with Hwayoung gone, this is actually my four favorite in the group. The new member, Areum, fits in really well. But holy fuck, Eunjung in this video, she's never been hotter. Love the short, red hair. All of the girls are great and I'm happy to see them bounce back after all the bullshit scandal they've gone through.

And this song, one of the best releases in a while. Saxaphone? Check. Accordion? Check. Dubstep? Check. Who would've thought you could mix all this shit together? Brilliant. Kpop producers are always looking for an edge and they will go places that mainstream pop in the U.S. will not touch. They will blend the weirdest of styles and instruments into kicking dance songs. Hell, I don't even mind the rap by random boy band guy (although I would have preferred for Eunjung to do the rap like back in the day).

The dance is also catchy as hell. Full on karate punches, body waves, shuffling, and that chest popping! When I first saw that section of the song with the "ting-ga-ring-ga-ring-ga" and that chest popping I about lost my shit. Really great stuff. You know you have a perfect blend of catchiness between song and dance when you can see the dance in your mind when you hear the song.

That's it. Kicking it off with a great comeback from 4 Minute and a truly explosive debut from the sub-unit T-ara N4.

So what do you think? For better or for worse, the Kpop discussion thread is born!

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Might as well start this off right:

Loading Video...

And while this is literally all the K-Pop i know, I am interested to read more.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I'm just going to say that a singular k-pop thread is kind of... weird;

why korean only? I mean asian pop discussion thread would be weird too but why doesn't AKB and... momoiro clover Z (I know them from the bodacious space pirates anime theme shut up), for example, rate? Korean pop isn't really that much different than J-pop, after all (and the only real difference from western pop music is western pop music is more focused on electronic backing tracks)

I'm not trying to backseat mod here but it's just a little odd.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@animasta said:

why korean only?

So I don't spam videos like this.

No! Wrong! Let me fix that for you...

Loading Video...

Who said that the discussion strictly needs to follow k-pop? This is close enough!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@animasta said:

why korean only? I mean asian pop discussion thread would be weird too but why doesn't AKB and... momoiro clover Z (I know them from the bodacious space pirates anime theme shut up), for example, rate? Korean pop isn't really that much different than J-pop, after all (and the only real difference from western pop music is western pop music is more focused on electronic backing tracks)

Agreed. It is a bit too specific, if you ask me.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee

@animasta:

Kpop and Jpop are very different in sound. Kpop has a wider variety and girls with more powerful images. Jpop is largely confined to the cutesy side of things, which I don't necessarily dislike. But Kpop is very much its own thing. There is not anything quite like the industry in the world, with its weekly music programs and ranking systems. Asia is pretty fucking big. I'm talking about Kpop because I want to. For instance, Kara is a girl group from Korea, but they are also one of the biggest groups in Japan, period. They are huge there. But I don't like their Japanese albums nearly as much as the Korean ones. Why? I can't articulate it well. I just don't like that style they use quite as much.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

And something with a little less "chest popping":

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

And just for fun:

Loading Video...

There's a lot of good Korean music out there that isn't performed by plastic-surgeried corporate shills.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daneian:

For an introduction to Kpop, I would suggest you check out Girls Generation's "Gee," Hyuana's "Bubble Pop," Kara's "Mister," and Brown Eyed Girls' "Abracadabra."

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By McGhee

@sinusoidal: Thanks. This is why I mentioned "Indie" in my post. Or really just anything in Korean music outside of Kpop. I am a big fan of stuff like LeeSSang, Younha, J Rabbit, Neon Bunny, Heart Shake, etc.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm readily surprised @aurahack didn't already make a thread like this....

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@mcghee: but you wouldn't start a swedish pop thread, rather than just a western pop thread or whatever? I'm just saying you're narrowing your potential audience for the thread, and regardless of how "cutesy" jpop is (I think it has too much guitar to be all cutesy but agree to disagree), they are similar enough.

that being two pop scenes where people can't understand the lyrics at all

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K-pop is one of the worst things that i have ever witnessed in my life, it's the combination of blatant sexual exploitation of both the audience and the artist combined with the horrible music combined with the ( most of the time ) annoying fan-base.

Probably half the damn reason why I will never, unless asked, mention the fact that I play/watch starcraft pretty often to anyone that doesn't know the actual game.

But than again, I think that comes with me hating the whole "clubbing" culture and other modern equivalents of that.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@mcghee: but you wouldn't start a swedish pop thread, rather than just a western pop thread or whatever? I'm just saying you're narrowing your potential audience for the thread, and regardless of how "cutesy" jpop is (I think it has too much guitar to be all cutesy but agree to disagree), they are similar enough.

that being two pop scenes where people can't understand the lyrics at all

Swedish pop does not have the global audience that Kpop does. Google the term "Hallyu Wave" and read up on it. Korean media dominates much of Asia. But talking about a large genre of music like "western pop" is far too broad. I agree that the thread may be too narrow in terms of the number of people here that will be interested, but there is nothing wrong with me trying and seeing who will be interested. If you insert Jpop, then the potential lies for that to get out of hand and go into directions too far beyond Kpop and the music, like anime and other weird Japanese shit. That is not what I'm interested in discussing here. This is about Kpop comebacks and debuts. Also notice that I discussed Korean "indie" groups as well. These groups have some crossover into Kpop. So you could say that I am talking about Korean music as a whole, under the umbrella of "Kpop."

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrWakka

@animasta said:

@mcghee: but you wouldn't start a swedish pop thread, rather than just a western pop thread or whatever?

You would if you specifically wanted to discuss swedish pop, and not every type of pop in the west. Not sure i've ever heard anything that would fall under swedish pop, but too each their own. It probably isn't the same as say, italian pop music. Personally I am not as big a fan of jpop as kpop, so if I want to learn about new kpop bands or songs, I wouldn't want to instead find a bunch of jpop links and recommendations for the most part.

He wants to discuss kpop, so be it, why try to convince him that he really wants to discuss something else instead?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By JasonR86

@mcghee:

You spend an extraordinary amount of time in corners of the internet that I'll never freely visit. But, again, the K-Pop chicks are all real hot. All of them. It's incredible. Just mute the videos and relax.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

I used to be super into K-pop for about half a year, but I fell off the wagon hard. The only musical group that carried for me was Peppertones, who aren't K-pop, just Korean Indie Rock.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I have to admit that my interest in K-pop and J-pop started out with a pretty ironic tinge, but now I have to say that I genuinely like quite a bit of it (...if I didn't feel comfortable accepting that here, I'd have to take that secret to the grave).

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@mcghee:

You spend an extraordinary amount of time in corners of the internet that I'll never freely visit. But, again, the K-Pop chicks are all real hot. All of them. It's incredible. Just mute the videos and relax.

I avoid the corners of the internet as much as possible. They are dark, dank and smell like moldy cheese.

And yes, they are the hottest chicks on the planet. No doubt.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MegaLombax

@jasonr86 said:

@mcghee:

Agreed. Though I think they mostly look similar to one another, they're all so very pretty. Especially that Sistar19 video clip...hot damn...

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what, props to you mcghee for sprouting into a magnificent k-pop daffodil and creating the thread/discussion that youve always wanted to create.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see you posted T-ARA N4's debut. Additionally, this thread is now over due to the only discussion worth taking place is how it can only go downhill from what is the best k-pop single ever released.

Ting garringa garringa~ ting garringa garringa~ ting garringa garringa~ ting ting ting ting~

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By McGhee

You know what, props to you mcghee for sprouting into a magnificent k-pop daffodil and creating the thread/discussion that youve always wanted to create.

lol You know you're my favorite, teabag. <3

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By frankxiv

@aurahack said:

Glad to see you posted T-ARA N4's debut. Additionally, this thread is now over due to the only discussion worth taking place is how it can only go downhill from what is the best k-pop single ever released.

Ting garringa garringa~ ting garringa garringa~ ting garringa garringa~ ting ting ting ting~

pretty much. way to start the show with a showstopper.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

@the_official_japanese_teabag said:

lol You know you're my favorite, teabag. <3

And you will always be my favourite insomniac <3

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zFUBARz

While I find K-Pop generally abysmal, it's no worse than western pop music and usually the people have to have at least some talent, but god damn it Korean ladies are gorgeous, I recommend taking a trip to Pusan/Busan in the summer, Just don't tell them you're American, go with Aussie or Canadian or British and they'll fall all over you. Also maybe not if you're black, they're a bit racist still.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aurahack said:

Yes, that part. I fucking love it. I'm hearing it in my head constantly.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By aurahack

@mcghee said:

@aurahack said:

Yes, that part. I fucking love it. I'm hearing it in my head constantly.

I couldn't fall asleep last night because it just kept playing in my head. This entire day has been me trying to play something else on my J3 and realising I want nothing to do with it unless it ends with Why you hatin'?

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By frankxiv

also, you missed the new secret

Loading Video...

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've listened to Drunken Tiger since his early days. Still think I have his mixtape he did in the states where he responded to Ice Cube's diss on Korean Americans in LA. Other then that, that's probably where my Korean music listening ends. BTW any of you heard Psy rapping he sounds alright. Heard him on this one song he did with Drunken and couldn't believe it was Psy. Hate the kpop stuff he does but he sounded alright if it was him on the track.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've listened to Drunken Tiger since his early days. Still think I have his mixtape he did in the states where he responded to Ice Cube's diss on Korean Americans in LA. Other then that, that's probably where my Korean music listening ends. BTW any of you heard Psy rapping he sounds alright. Heard him on this one song he did with Drunken and couldn't believe it was Psy. Hate the kpop stuff he does but he sounded alright if it was him on the track.

I've not heard much of Psy aside from his more recent successes but I've been getting into Tiger JK and MFBTY. You seen this? Really good shit.

Loading Video...

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DystopiaX

@animasta said:

Word. I like both but MomoClo is the shit.

KANAKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By frankxiv

geeks - wash away (feat. ailee)

Loading Video...

ubeat - should have treated you better

Loading Video...

shinee - why so serious

Loading Video...

dude postin y'all

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo, Perfume is pretty good:

Loading Video...

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

perfume is not korean please try to stay on topic

history - dreamer

Loading Video...

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anyone else hype for the nine muses comeback? they've been really consistent since figaro, and sweetune usually does quality work.

figaro

Loading Video...

news

Loading Video...

ticket

Loading Video...

dolls

Loading Video...

personally, i can't wait.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By Humanity

@mcghee said:

@daneian:

For an introduction to Kpop, I would suggest you check out Girls Generation's "Gee," Hyuana's "Bubble Pop," Kara's "Mister," and Brown Eyed Girls' "Abracadabra."

Gee? I'd think "Genie" would be a better choice.

Also out of their newer songs I think Flower Power captures that oldschool catchyness that they used to have.

ALSO

I think JQT was a pretty good band that didn't seem to catch on at all which is a shame.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince

Dose Korean girls!

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@mcghee said:

@daneian:

Gee? I'd think "Genie" would be a better choice.

Also out of their newer songs I think Flower Power captures that oldschool catchyness that they used to have.

ALSO

I think JQT was a pretty good band that didn't seem to catch on at all which is a shame.

yeah jqt disbanded :( peek a boo was pretty good.

really though anything is a good intro to kpop, it's always moving forward, so what got me into it 4 years ago might not be what gets you into it now, and both might not click with someone else. as much as i hate to admit it, i got a boy would probably be a better "intro" to snsd at this point.

that's just my line of thinking though. might as well keep it current or start from the very beginning if you're not stumbling into the middle yourself somehow.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By Vexxan

@onimonkii: That Dolls song is so fucking catchy.

Being a regular Starcraft 2 watcher I get so hear a looot of kpop but I don't listen to it much outside of that except for a few songs. Here's a good one:

Loading Video...

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So, is this the unofficial "hotz korean gurlz" thread?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cloudenvy

As much as the anime thread is the unofficial "hot cartoon ladies" thread.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By Humanity

@onimonkii: I think the fact that Secret still exists and JQT doesn't is a crime. Alas marketing and variety shows play a big part in promoting the bands and it seems JQT wasn't really doing it big in that department. They did have a lot of catchy songs though unlike most other bands that are kind of hit or miss. Then again it's just my taste. They just didn't catch on. When T-ara debuted in the original line up and had songs like Bo Peep and Crazy For You I thought both were really fun and catchy, even if the Crazy for You video could trigger a seizure despite not having epilepsy. Then they re-arranged the members like 5 times and the group turned into this weird retro time machine. All their songs were styled after oldies and I only found Ya Ya Ya to be catchy. To each his own I suppose.

Pour one out for the old T-ara and lets all have an epileptic seizure together. Whoever edited this video was clearly not feeling alright.

Loading Video...

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vexxan said:

@onimonkii: That Dolls song is so fucking catchy.

Being a regular Starcraft 2 watcher I get so hear a looot of kpop but I don't listen to it much outside of that except for a few songs. Here's a good one:

volume up is probably my favorite 4minute song, along with i my me mine. another good one i know @aurahack enjoys is the r.tee remix of over & over

Loading Video...
Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@winternet said:

Oh, that's a bummer.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@onimonkii: I think the fact that Secret still exists and JQT doesn't is a crime. Alas marketing and variety shows play a big part in promoting the bands and it seems JQT wasn't really doing it big in that department. They did have a lot of catchy songs though unlike most other bands that are kind of hit or miss. Then again it's just my taste. They just didn't catch on. When T-ara debuted in the original line up and had songs like Bo Peep and Crazy For You I thought both were really fun and catchy, even if the Crazy for You video could trigger a seizure despite not having epilepsy. Then they re-arranged the members like 5 times and the group turned into this weird retro time machine. All their songs were styled after oldies and I only found Ya Ya Ya to be catchy. To each his own I suppose.

haha, t-ara only added a member, and then removed her and added another. that's pretty much the sum of it :x unless you're talking about losing jiwon & jiae? but that was before debut even so i dunno. i think roly poly is their only blatantly retro song, and it hit pretty big so they milked the hell out of it, then they did that cover of nami's round & round to cap it off. but yeah, i love t-ara, like everything they've done is fantastic. even people who hate them cite absolute first album/breaking heart as like, the most essential kpop album.

i have a soft spot for secret, but they also got hit by the "retro styled song becomes a huge hit" wave with shy boy, and while i like their songs since that, it's kind of all over the place. they don't really have their own established style like a similar group like miss a or sistar does at this point. it looked like they were heading in a direction with poison and talk that, but this latest release is like a complete 180.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Cloudenvy

@cloudenvy said:

@winternet said:

Oh, that's a bummer.

Tell me about it.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By Nilazz

You know what makes me sad? Psy. He is probably my least favorite YG entertainment artist and yet he has skyrocketed in to fame all over the world because of a silly video and a mediocre song. But at least he is getting more people to listen to kpop.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Leptok

The only kpop song that ive ever liked is Baby Vox Oo Yun. i have no idea why, it just stuck in my head. As a whole, it seems like the asian pop culture is detestable. its so fake, scripted, chaste and boring.