#1 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

I've been lactose intolerant for eight years. I used to have milk all the time and then one day it made me wicked sick. Oh well. So there are these pills called Lactaid fast act. I can eat dairy when I take these pills and most of the time I don't get too sick. But I guess there is a shortage of these. I've checked Walgreen's, Walmart, CVS and Rite Aid in my town and they are all out. Anyone else out there use these pills and have a hot tip where to find some?? Or any stories about being lactose intolerant.

#2 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

Also lactose intolerant so I feel your pain, I wasn't when I was a kid so I know how good cereal is every morning =( I have never used the pills, heard good things about them but I guess I just have gotten used to not having much dairy.

#3 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1592 posts) -

I’m lactose intolerant, so I feel your pain. Well, “pain” isn’t quite the right word, but I’m not going to go into detail.

I decided to stop ingesting anything with lactose a while ago (I recommend it!), so I don’t really know how hard it is to find Lactaid pills. I do remember there being various off-brand pills that were functionally identical, but I’m sure you know that.

Good luck!

#4 Posted by Hunter5024 (5670 posts) -

I decided to try these about a month ago, and I got them off amazon.

#5 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

You can try using regular ol' Benadryl.

#6 Edited by oraknabo (1459 posts) -

Yeah, you're really better off without it. I'm intolerant, but that's because I've been off all dairy for 20 years now.

If you want ice cream and milk in your cereal, coconut milk and the ice cream from it are pretty good. I don't like soy milk, but rice, oat and hemp are all pretty decent. Is there something about cow's milk you need?

I guess the hardest thing if you're not used to it is avoiding cheese. So many things people eat have cheese in them.

#7 Posted by Sparkul (37 posts) -

@TyCobb: Lactose intolerance isn't really an allergy. Unless your telling the OP to sleep the diarrhea away.

#8 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1592 posts) -

@oraknabo said:

Yeah, you're really better off without it. I'm intolerant, but that's because I've been off all dairy for 20 years now.

If you want ice cream and milk in your cereal, coconut milk and the ice cream from it are pretty good. I don't like soy milk, but rice, oat and hemp are all pretty decent. Is there something about cow's milk you need?

I guess the hardest thing if you're not used to it is avoiding cheese. So many things people eat have cheese in them.

Almond and soy milk are my favourites. I don’t have it often, but Rice Dream ice cream is a pretty convincing substitute for the real thing.

Cheese is just something you have to deal with not having. All of the cheese substitutes I’ve tried have been pretty bad.

#9 Posted by oraknabo (1459 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip: If you're really craving cheese, there's always feta. I don't personally eat it, but it's barely got any lactose. You can make an OK pizza with it too.

#10 Posted by CrimsonNoir (401 posts) -

If you just want to have milk buy lactaid milk. It apparently contains lactase in it too, which is what we're missing to break down milk.

#11 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

@Sparkul said:

@TyCobb: Lactose intolerance isn't really an allergy. Unless your telling the OP to sleep the diarrhea away.

Apparently it's used for Milk Allergy. Never realized that's what my friend had since he always said he was Lactose Intolerant and would take Benadryl for it. So yea, don't take Benadryl unless you are actually allergic to the milk.

#12 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Fuck what your body is telling you

Drink some delicious banana flavoured milk and ride it straight to hell

#13 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

@jking47: @GrantHeaslip: You two are much stronger than I am. I should try to cut out dairy but I'm so used to it. I use the Lactaid Milk for breakfast. It's mostly when I go out to eat I like to have pills with me because everything has stupid dairy in it. My wife cooks a lot of meals without dairy so I think I might survive the shortage. Best thing would be to try to slow it down.

#14 Posted by psylah (2175 posts) -

Stop being so intolerant of my lactosey ways. It's not the dark ages, I demand equal rights.

#15 Posted by Sumbog (484 posts) -

Well you could get lactose free milk, that is what I drink.

I am lucky, I have gotten over my intolerance, I believe it was just intestinal issues I had as a child.

#16 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

@jking47 said:

Also lactose intolerant so I feel your pain, I wasn't when I was a kid so I know how good cereal is every morning =( I have never used the pills, heard good things about them but I guess I just have gotten used to not having much dairy.

your profile picture just took on a whole new meaning, im not lactose intolerant myself and i could be completely wrong but i had a cousin who had to drink goat milk and freaking hated it, i remember sitting at their breakfast table when we where kids and he would be eating breakfast cereal with us and complaining that the milk made his coco pops taste disgusting, I spoke to him recently and I brought it up, he assures me its just easier to have a european breakfast of croissants and fruit.