Ladies and Gentlemen...we're goin to Lybia.

• 192 results
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By FrankCanada97
@beej said:
" @Wrighteous86: I'm not declaring a slippery slope as inevitable but a no fly zone and other purely protective actions have ended with boots on the ground before haven't they? Also doesn't the U.S. make up most of the UN peacekeeping forces? "
Ironically, it is the developing and third-world countries who contribute the most to peacekeeping missions.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By beej
@FrankCanada97: Really? So the third world is going to be imposing this no fly zone? Although if that's the case that poses some more troubling concerns outside of just military reality. 
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53  Edited By wrighteous86
@beej: @Skytylz: I realize that it's a possibility, but I don't think we should start decrying US foreign policy based off one UN action.  Hopefully it won't come to that, but I agree that is looking more likely.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By mutha3
@Skytylz said:
" @Wrighteous86: You really think all they are going to do is issue a no-fly order?  There will be UN forces on the ground soon, but it's ok for them to do it, but if the U.S. does anything it's terrible.  Some people in this thread are already blaming the U.S. for this and what we are going to do. "
who gives a shit 

no one with half an ounce of empathy does
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By FrankCanada97
@beej said:
" @FrankCanada97: Really? So the third world is going to be imposing this no fly zone? Although if that's the case that poses some more troubling concerns outside of just military reality.  "

For your consideration. If you want to know, the US is ranked 65th.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By EpicSteve

I haven't gotten orders or anything. Will post if i do. 

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By beej

I hope that if this does go to an army action (hopefully not) that all the people who want it so bad are willing to enlist.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By Kyreo
@buzz_killington said:
" That's a bit presumptuous, but definitely possible. "
No it WILL happen.  
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By mutha3
@beej said:
" I hope that if this does go to an army action (hopefully not) that all the people who want it so bad are willing to enlist. "
You almost make it sound as if  the lybia army is a threat worth taking seriously.

Also, this is what the UN was made for, so....uh...no idea why you think this is clever.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By jakob187
@mnzy said:

" Yay, another war. See you in 10 years, when it'll be over. "

War?  We haven't been at war.  Wars are something that are declared and approved.  We've been in an illegal invasion and occupation of a country.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By beej
@FrankCanada97: So then that poses a potentially more troubling conclusion which is that we're sending the third world to go meet our "moral imperatives" to do something about libya. I guess it's all ok if we let the global poor die for the cause. 
Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@mutha3 So your argument is the ends justify the means?

This is an internal matter, just like the countless other ongoing revolutions, guerilla wars, and murderous dictatorships around the world. Everyone has been content to sit back for decades and let Libya do their thing (or propped them up/benefited directly from Gaddafi), but suddenly he is fighting ARMED rebels and everyone wants to save them because they are losing to the big, bad dictator?

Again, not a Gaddafi supporter and I fully agree that people have the fundamental right to rebel against unjust rule when there is no other option, but the UN should NOT be interfering unless it turns to genocide (which it isn't).
MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#63  Edited By MjHealy

Seemed like it was only a matter of time, though they took their time since rebel forces are nearly crushed at this point. Now would be a nice time to say "Give Peace a Chance" and post a video some peaceful hippy video but the Gaddafi regime should be abolished. Even if it sadly means that the UN have to stick their noses into other country's business. I'm sure it has nothing to do with oil ;)

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Pinworm45

AMERICA IS JUST INVADING THEM FOR THEIR OIL

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#65  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I'll let you know if I get orders to Libya but as of right now, the US isn't doing anything. Don't know why people are blaming the US.
CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By CastroCasper
@benjaebe said:
" I assume you mean "we're" as in the United Nations including several Arab countries, France, Germany the UK and US in a vote that passed 10-0 with five countries abstaining.And I assume you mean "going to Libya" as in the sense that we'll be assisting in a way that does not involve sending in any ground forces whatsoever.  It's the right thing to do, glad they passed it. "
This sounds a lot better and easier to manage than, "WE ARE WARING MORE!"
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By JB16
@Skytylz said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
" @Skytylz: You should stop before you make yourself look worse. "
Thanks for the motivation to keep going. I just love however how everyone has already forgot about Iraq.  I don't see it as any different than Iraq, but I guess in a few years we will all be pissed about this.  The revolt is pretty much quelled, so by the time we get there it will be all under the control of Gaddafi and it will be a similar war to the last one we fought and are still fighting.  "
Wow just wow. Your post just shows us all how completely ignorant you are towards the middle east and all their current conflicts. In all your incoherent ramblings you did not once have anything that even resembles a logical point, I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul. Libya is NOT Iraq, they have a different history and a different culture. The political situation in Lybia is lightyears different from the political situation of 2003 Iraq, and a no fly zone does NOT equal invasion nor does it equal the use of ground forces.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By mutha3
@Tim_the_Corsair said:

" @mutha3 So your argument is the ends justify the means? This is an internal matter, just like the countless other ongoing revolutions, guerilla wars, and murderous dictatorships around the world. Everyone has been content to sit back for decades and let Libya do their thing (or propped them up/benefited directly from Gaddafi), but suddenly he is fighting ARMED rebels and everyone wants to save them because they are losing to the big, bad dictator?

Again, the UN being completely  useless the past 60 years doesn't change that their actions in this case are justified. 

Again, not a Gaddafi supporter and I fully agree that people have the fundamental right to rebel against unjust rule when there is no other option, but the UN should NOT be interfering unless it turns to genocide (which it isn't). "

What an arbitrary fucking line to draw.

One of the UN core principles is to safeguard human-rights, and prevent  atrocities against people.

You know, like hiring foreign mercenaries to cut off the legs and hands of people protesting with signs. And opening fire on these people.

Also, I can't believe people are unironically bringing up "OH NOEZ THEYLL THINK BAD OF US!!!!!!!"
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#69  Edited By KarlPilkington

Personally I am not going to Libya. So I don't know what you are talking about.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#70  Edited By Jeust

That's a good measure to secure the populations under attack by Kadafi's forces. 

The funny thing though is the fact that we're coming to a time where there may be as many americans in American's soil as outside of it. ahah

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By meteora

After reading through this thread and comparing it to another I've read on other forums, I can confirm that Giantbombers are either ignorant, cynical or assholes. 

I'm surprised China and Russia abstained their votes at any rate.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By Skytylz
@JB16 said:
" @Skytylz said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
Thanks for the motivation to keep going. I just love however how everyone has already forgot about Iraq.  I don't see it as any different than Iraq, but I guess in a few years we will all be pissed about this.  The revolt is pretty much quelled, so by the time we get there it will be all under the control of Gaddafi and it will be a similar war to the last one we fought and are still fighting.  "
Wow just wow. Your post just shows us all how completely ignorant you are towards the middle east and all their current conflicts. In all your incoherent ramblings you did not once have anything that even resembles a logical point, I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul. Libya is NOT Iraq, they have a different history and a different culture. The political situation in Lybia is lightyears different from the political situation of 2003 Iraq, and a no fly zone does NOT equal invasion nor does it equal the use of ground forces. "
Alright since you're the ambassador of the Middle East, how is the situation "lightyears" different than iraq?  Also, you really think that this intervention will stop with the no fly zone and if it does do you think it will do anything to help the rebels?
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Jayzilla
@Meteora said:
" After reading through this thread and comparing it to another I've read on other forums, I can confirm that Giantbombers are either ignorant, cynical or assholes. "
Sometimes I put those choices on a dartboard and pick the one that the dart lands closest to. Sometimes it's all three. 
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mutha3
@Meteora said:
" I'm surprised China and Russia abstained their votes at any rate. "
It doesn't do China any good to see the oil prices rise, and Russia has nothing really to gain from this situation.
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#75  Edited By Belonpopo

Send in the Marines.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By wickedsc3

wow lets keep helping out other countries when we have people STARVING in our own.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By august
@wickedsc3 said:

" wow lets keep helping out other countries when we have people STARVING in our own. "

Alright, think we hit all the cliches, time to wrap this thread up.
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#78  Edited By Belonpopo
@Ahmad_Metallic: 

and there goes Libya's freedom.. just another arab country with america's dick up its ass 
 enjoy ruling and exploiting it, get all the resources and oil you can

God Damn right.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#79  Edited By Hailinel

And yet another thread regarding world events is done in with bickering over stereotypes, misinformation, and general idiocy.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Gabriel
@FiestaUnicorn said:
" Finally, some revenge for Doc Brown. "
If that's the case we just need some tire spikes to derail their army of rocket launcher vans.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#81  Edited By Azteck
@FiestaUnicorn said:
" Finally, some revenge for Doc Brown. "
It's about damn time.
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By JB16
@Skytylz said:
" @JB16 said:
" @Skytylz said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
Wow just wow. Your post just shows us all how completely ignorant you are towards the middle east and all their current conflicts. In all your incoherent ramblings you did not once have anything that even resembles a logical point, I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul. Libya is NOT Iraq, they have a different history and a different culture. The political situation in Lybia is lightyears different from the political situation of 2003 Iraq, and a no fly zone does NOT equal invasion nor does it equal the use of ground forces. "
Alright since you're the ambassador of the Middle East, how is the situation "lightyears" different than iraq?  Also, you really think that this intervention will stop with the no fly zone and if it does do you think it will do anything to help the rebels? "
1: Lybia is in a full blown civil war with rebels and civilians calling for foriegn intervention to help them in their revolution. Iraq had no such revolution in 2003 and the US forced them to adopt democracy, which made the US the oppressors. Most Libyan civilians against Gadafi welcome foreign intervention, one city even raised a French flag when France recognized the rebels legitimacy.
2: The intervention will stop at the "No fly zone". At most it will involve the US, UK, or France will give air support to the rebels and maybe send in advisors to help train the rebels. The US will not send ground troops because Lybia barely affects the US and Europe's Oil trade, less than 2% to be exact. In other words it's not worth sending combat units. Wars are costly and expensive, right now the rebels can win on their own without the use of groundforces.
3: Right now the Lybian army controls the air, because of this the rebels are being battered by constant bombings and air raids. Making it hard for them to effectively maneuver or put up a good fight. Controlling the air means you can effectively disrupt supply lines and destroy any large scale mounted rebel attacks before they even begin. A No fly zone involves destroying all of Libya's anti-air assets, grounding all of Libya's aircraft, and maybe even bombing a few military positions here and there. Doing that will greatly help the rebels allowing them to organize counter-attacks, operate openly in the desert, and establish supply lines. Basically it puts Gadafi's forces on an even ground with the rebels, giving them a fighting chance.

Does that answer all of your questions?
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#83  Edited By Vinny_Says

China should get involved in this!

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By sumbog
@JB16 said:
1: Lybia is in a full blown civil war

you spelt Libya wrong again... just saying. Good points though
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Skytylz
@JB16: 1. I'll give you that, but it wasn't like Iraq was a fucking paradise before we came. 

2.  I can't believe anyone thinks it will stop with the No-Fly zone and from what I've heard the rebels are getting it handed to them right now.   

3.  Bombing ground targets already escalates this action beyond a no fly zone.  Even without the aircraft from this point on, it seems like the damage has been done. 
Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Toxin066

Going to Labia would be a lot more fun.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Lifestrike
He's invading Libya; he can spell it how ever he wants.
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By JB16
@Skytylz said:

" @JB16: 1. I'll give you that, but it wasn't like Iraq was a fucking paradise before we came.  2.  I can't believe anyone thinks it will stop with the No-Fly zone and from what I've heard the rebels are getting it handed to them right now.    3.  Bombing ground targets already escalates this action beyond a no fly zone.  Even without the aircraft from this point on, it seems like the damage has been done.  "

1: Never said it was.
 2: The rebels have lost momentum and have been pushed back but they are still far from defeated. Reports state that morale among opposition forces are still high.
3: I think you need to look up what a "no fly zone" actually is, it's not simply asking the Libyan army not to fly, it is a full blown military operation. Bombing ground targets is part of the "No fly zone" the resolution authorizes/encourages the use of air strikes and other necessary measuresto protect civilians in Libya. Also the resolution strictly prohibits the use of an "Occupational force", which means no large invasion force or combat units will be used.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ryan-Ryan who
Where are you?
We've got a thread for you now!
Ryan-Ryan who
I see you!
We need some wit from you now!

(He may have already been posting here, I just didn't feel like reading through the pages. Also, I don't mean to be a dick, I'm just fooling around)

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By beej
@mutha3 said: 

@beej said: 

" I hope that if this does go to an army action (hopefully not) that all the people who want it so bad are willing to enlist. "

You almost make it sound as if  the lybia army is a threat worth taking seriously.  Also, this is what the UN was made for, so....uh...no idea why you think this is clever. "
Not what I'm saying at all in an attempt to patronize me you've missed the point. What I'm saying is that when we advocate for a war we need to examine what our responsibilities are when our society is in war. Currently the poor are the ones dying for our wars  and future generations are the ones paying for it (via debt spending). If you think going to a ground war would be a good plan then it seems as though you ought to be willing to bear the cost rather than forcing the cost onto soldiers who joined to escape poverty and may be anti-war.   We've become so alienated from the warmaking process that we've forgotten that going to war and participating in a war are political decisions.
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By FlyingRat

We are?! Well i'm certainly excited.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Skytylz
@JB16: It's a military action in the sky, we can use force to prevent them from flying but bombing them isn't part of a "no fly zone" operation. 
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BraveToaster

The No-Fly Zone should have been initiated days ago.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By beej
@Meteora said:
" After reading through this thread and comparing it to another I've read on other forums, I can confirm that Giantbombers are either ignorant, cynical or assholes.  I'm surprised China and Russia abstained their votes at any rate. "
I resent the shit out of this statement.
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Zimbo
@Skytylz: You may be surprised to learn that the main role of the air force is to provide support to ground forces and to interrupt enemy supply lines/destroy military installations with various large bombs. Not to engage in dogfights all day long. Not that they aren't capable of doing so.
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By JB16
@Skytylz said:

" @JB16: It's a military action in the sky, we can use force to prevent them from flying but bombing them isn't part of a "no fly zone" operation.  "

Apparently your definition of a no fly zone and the UN's definition of a no fly zone are quite different. Because this resolution states that it  "authorizes/encourages the use of air strikes and other necessary measures to protect civilians in Libya". And that includes bombing ground targets, especially AA sites.
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By TehFlan
@beej: Oh, come on. If someone was actually anti-war, they wouldn't have joined the military. There are easier and safer ways to make money that wouldn't compromise their beliefs.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Skytylz
@Zimbo: No Shit? 

@JB16: I understand the AA sites since it would be self defense.  
Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Ben99
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @benjaebe:  without sending in ground troops? ok that sounds good. i didnt read the whole thing before speaking, which i dont really regret because when you see middle eastern countries drop like flies one after the other by a big invader from the west, its logical to think that its that country's intention to keep that strategy up 

@melcene said:
" I think @Ahmad_Metallic: is just trying to live up to my call of the America-hate that was going to be forthcoming in this thread.  Thanks for not letting a gal down. "
actually i love America.. you gave me metal music, South Park, all the tv shows and movies i love, and alot of american video games i adore.. if it wasnt for the US i wouldnt have all the things i enjoy practicing and/or experiencing.. im really indifferent about most issues, so this isnt hatred, but merely an observation.  "
Your posts are confusing , Once you're all for Arabs (your own people ) and in other threads you right out insult them .  

Anyways, The west should never intervene anymore in the Arab regions' affairs cuz that will only enrage all the extremists across the region . 
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#100  Edited By tekmojo
@FlyingRat said:
" We are?! Well i'm certainly excited. "
Yes Sir.