Laser eye surgery, anybody here get it done?

• 64 results
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

I'm thinking of saving a couple thousand over the next few months and getting it done, just wondering if anybody here has had it done, and if they would recommend it, glasses are pissing me off an unimaginable amount.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Like LASIK? Or replacing your eye with a laser? I have done neither.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343

I sort of adore glasses from a cosmetic perspective. There are few people who don't look better with a fitting pair of glasses IMO. Removing that disability removes the practical need for a fantastic accessory; I mean sure, you can still walk around with glasses on, but then you'd look like a pretentious hipster-y punk.

Also, that's a lot of money.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By scalpel

Yes, and it's among the best money I've ever spent.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

The military paid for my father to have to it done about five year ago. He went from having to wear glasses during the day to having 20:15 vision. It worked out very well for him; he has better vision than I do now.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Lunar_Aura

No but I'm considering it someday. Also eyes that shoot lasers sign me up etc.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By m0rdr3d

Not firsthand experience, but my uncle had LASIK done years ago and loved it. Of course the question is how is he doing with it now and I don't have an answer to that. I'm curious as well, but there are a lot of naysayers online and I'm not taking any unnecessary chances with my sight.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

I would do anything to have perfect eyes. Unfortunately, I've been told several times that laser eye surgery "wouldn't work for me".

Fuck.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rflx

No, but I probably would if I could afford it.
A friend of mine had it done, and he seems to like the result.
Also, don't look at this video before getting the surgery.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaLe

I'd do it if it were free on the NHS, but I'm not paying for that shit. You know the in the UK you have to go to a plastic surgeon if you want to get circumcised? Doctor/NHS won't do it unless it's for a medical problem. Costs like $1500 for the procedure, too. Jokes or what.

Anyway here's a good video of how the procedure usually goes:

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Be sure to watch Final Destination 5 just before surgery.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By scalpel

@CaLe said:

I'd do it if it were free on the NHS, but I'm not paying for that shit. You know the in the UK you have to go to a plastic surgeon if you want to get circumcised? Doctor/NHS won't do it unless it's for a medical problem. Costs like $1500 for the procedure, too. Jokes or what.

It sounds perfectly reasonable to me that you would have to pay with your own money for cosmetic changes.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaLe

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

It sounds perfectly reasonable to me that you would have to pay with your own money for cosmetic changes.

Yo, babies get that shit for free.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scalpel

@CaLe said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

Which is stupid, for both ethical and economical reasons.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hughesman

Oh my goodness this thread is weirdly relevant to me. Earlier today I was denied my driver's license renewal because i couldn't pass the eye exam.

I'm actually looking forward to having a pair of glasses around. Especially if i don't have to wear them all the time.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kmdrkul

My mom had it done about three years ago. She said it worked really well.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaLe

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

At least they can grow up without a hideous turtle necking man piece.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fattony12000
Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Patman99

@CaLe said:

Same thing with here in Canada. But I dont see what is so unreasonable about that. I guess if it would drastically improve your quality of life then it would make sense if your health system did cover it but maybe that would be hard to prove.

EDIT: To clarify, I didnt mean that I would want to have LASIK (I have no need to) but from what I've heard it is great for all you four-eyes out there.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TorMasturba
CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CountMacula

Yeah I got it done in January 2011. Painless procedure, which also fixed the astigmatism in my left eye (something which neither my contacts nor glasses corrected) and would highly recommend getting it done.

I still get a kick out of being able to see clearly when I wake up in the morning.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CaLe
scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scalpel

@CaLe said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

What a relief it is to know, then, that the rational lawmakers of the future won't take arbitrary things like your preferences in penis aesthetics into account when deciding on matters such as circumcision.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NicksCorner

My friend had it done to him, it worked like a charm.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By CptChiken

@CaLe said:

Anyway here's a good video of how the procedure usually goes:

Oh damn! you beat me too it!

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Xeirus

So I had this done and while it is probably some of the best money I've ever spent, don't go in under the assumption they shoot they laser and the next day you're good to go. There is a ton of upkeep that goes a long with this, not to mention side effects, etc. I'll list my experience as best I can:

I had lasik originally done when I was around 19. I used my tax return and from what I was told some years later I was "too young" and should have waited, though I'm not sure if that actually changed my experience, as everyones eyes are different.

The surgery itself takes less than 5 minutes, but while it's happening you can smell your eyes burning (smells like eggs). It doesn't hurt at all and afterwards they keep putting drops in your eyes for about 30 minutes to an hour. When they send you home they give you a list of drops you have to put in your eyes every 2,4, or 6 hours. I believe I had 3 or 4 different drops all to put in a different times. You do this for around a month or so, depending.

You're sensitive to light for a week or more, personally I was for about 2 months, I couldn't drive during the day without limo tinted glasses. You're required to go back for follow up visits on an extremely regular basis, I think mine were every week or something. But I did end up with 20/20 vision, coming from -8, -10... I felt legally blind without my glasses.

About 2-3 years down the road I had to have the surgery done again as my sight slowly deteriorated, it never got as bad as it was originally, but it did get much worse. The second surgery was not as near of an improvement as the first, and recovery (drops and all) is such a pain in the ass.

They ended up telling my my eyes were just shitty and that I would likely need to surgery every 5-10 years, I assume forever :/

That's the short version, it's a major pain in the ass, but even with all of the hassle I would probably still do it again, it's an amazing surgery. Just keep expectations in check.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Morrow

I saw a few surgeries on TV, and my eyes started to tear just by watching it. There is no way I'll ever gonna do that.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CaLe

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

What a relief it is to know, then, that the rational lawmakers of the future won't take arbitrary things like your preferences in penis aesthetics into account when deciding on matters such as circumcision.

Well it's a cultural standard in a load of countries, just not the UK for some reason..

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By scalpel

@CaLe said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

Well it's a cultural standard in a load of countries, just not the UK for some reason..

And I reiterate: for stupid reasons. I live by the rule of thumb that consensus and majority is almost always wrong.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DeeGee

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

And I reiterate: for stupid reasons. I live by the rule of thumb that consensus and majority is almost always wrong.

I'll never understand why it's a cultural standard in countries. Especially America, that makes no sense.

I mean, it makes no sense for them to do it in America. Homosexuality is against nature, but cutting the skin around your dick off? Totally natural. God is great and all, but he majorly fucked up humans when he built them, they have too much dick skin.

Eurgh, why would anyone want that.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chop

I have a couple friends/family members that have gotten it done. The main thing that keeps me in my contacts is the apparent sensitivity to sunlight. Seems incredibly annoying from what I've observed.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaLe

@DeeGee said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

I'll never understand why it's a cultural standard in countries. Especially America, that makes no sense.

I mean, it makes no sense for them to do it in America. Homosexuality is against nature, but cutting the skin around your dick off? Totally natural. God is great and all, but he majorly fucked up humans when he built them, they have too much dick skin.

I just think it looks better, simple as that. Less alien like.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DeeGee

@CaLe: Haha, I know a fair few people who would agree with you on that, actually.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By scalpel

@CaLe said:

@DeeGee said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

I live in a country where circumcision is extremely rare and I feel the same way when it comes to the thought of being circumcised, but even if I didn't I wouldn't think that's any reason to give parents the right to saw at the genitals of another human, nor to have taxpayers finance such an act. If you do, I suspect that you're irrational and hope you never have any legislative power.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CaLe

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

@DeeGee said:

@scalpel said:

@CaLe said:

I live in a country where circumcision is extremely rare and I feel the same way when it comes to the thought of being circumcised; I don't think that's any reason to give parents the right to saw at the genitals of another human, nor to have taxpayers finance such an act. If you do, I suspect that you're irrational and hope you never have any legislative power.

I agree with you, but I still just think it looks better and I'm cheap so don't want to pay for it. My position on it just comes down to me being cheap! Wish I'd had it done to me as a baby so I wouldn't have to pay anything.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nekroskop

Do the operation then replay Mass Effect 3.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By scalpel

@Xeirus: I've heard that -10 is the limit for LASIK, so it's probably for the best that you didn't wait a few more years.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By X19

My friend had it done and she has better vision than me now. If you have the money go for it.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By duskvamp

@believer258: Do you know what the reasons are that it wouldn't work for you?

I really want to have it done, my eye sight is still changing though, so I have to wait for it to settle. I'm incredibly squeamish, but I hate having to wear glasses and contact lenses so I think it would be completely worth it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By CL60

Why is there a bunch of people talking about penis in a topic about eye surgery?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Justin258

@DuskVamp said:

@believer258: Do you know what the reasons are that it wouldn't work for you?

I forgot. Something about why one of my eyes is worse than they other. It's been that way since birth and it's not so bad that I can't see without glasses. For that matter, I'm typing this without glasses. Still, I find that I can see better with them on sometimes, but I hate them for many different reasons, ranging from the way they look on me to the fact that I have to depend on something to be able to see half as well as people who don't need it. Remember, I'm the guy who is reluctant to drink coffee to avoid feeling like I need it to wake up in the morning, so the glasses thing really annoys me.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Fattony12000 said:

BEAT ME TO IT!

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jay444111

Laser eye surgery?

*I now imagine... this!*

No Caption Provided

...........Get that surgery... NOW!!!

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GunnBjorn

Nah, I'm fine with my spectacles.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45  Edited By Xeirus

@CL60 said:

Why is there a bunch of people talking about penis in a topic about eye surgery?

Because they can't stop thinking about penis

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Three0neFive

My mother had laser eye surgery about a decade ago - the surgeon totally botched it and for the next 5 years she went through dozens of corrective operations/treatments. For the longest time she couldn't even sleep without special lubricant because her tear ducts were affected.

So, no thanks. I'm fine with contacts.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nilazz

I would kill to get my eyes fixed but I don't have the money now, but a life without glasses would be awesome.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By intro

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Be sure to watch Final Destination 5 just before surgery.

This.

I have not had it done, but plan on it. I'm sure it's costly, but it beats spending $100+ on contacts every year and dealing with those mother fuckers everyday. I'm only 18, so I'll wait until at least 21 because my eyes might still change a lot more.

Without my glasses/contacts, I can't see shit from about 3 feet and up, so I really want this done.

mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mm665

I was interested in doing it, but eye doctor said i couldn't because something about my eyes.

I like having glasses but they are pain in the ass when you watching/reading something from bed.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jking47

I wanted to when I was younger, but they told me to wait. Now I have grown to like my glasses, so I won't be getting LASIK anytime soon, even if the chance is small that they fuck it up there is still a chance.