• 75 results
#1 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

It's 2 a.m. You're driving around with your friends and the night is winding down. What type of music do you prefer to listen to?

One of my idiot friends listens solely to that top 40 garbage - obnoxious, noisy shit like Lil Wayne. He listens to it constantly. Whenever he calls shotgun he plugs his lame-ass phone in and plays crappy music nonstop until he gets kicked out of the car. He has no desire to relax and listen to something relaxing late at night. It's just the same constant noisy club beats. I don't know how he does it. I was thinking about what I enjoy listening to late at night - slower indie stuff like the National, jazzy stuff like Nujabes, new wave - and I realized it's the polar opposite of my friend. So I'm making this topic to see what other people like to listen to late at night.

#2 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

THERE IS NO TIME TO RELAX. Anything with a Nitti beat goes.

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4485 posts) -

Nujabes most definitely. Also DJ jazzy Jeff, Deltron 3030, and generally anything not too upbeat. At 2 in the morning after hanging out all night, I just wanna sit back and kick it even if I'm wide awake.

#4 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Obviously.

#5 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

I'm with you, usually something mellow...I usually just hit shuffle on my zune and it rarely lets me down. I wouldn't advise listening to Bibio's album Fi that late though, especially if you have a long drive...DEPRESSING.

#6 Posted by TheHT (11237 posts) -
#7 Posted by EuanDewar (4908 posts) -

The Drive soundtrack is, oddly enough, perfect for driving.

#8 Posted by Fattony12000 (7403 posts) -

Late 90s/early 2000s drum and bass.

#9 Posted by LimpBishop (220 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

QFT^^

Also this one, I listen to this tune a couple of times every day - it is just amazing!

#10 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

2 AM?

#11 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i listen to what is on the rock stations. sometimes there is techno playing so i'll listen to that.

#12 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Old Ministry like this

Or

New(er) Ministry, like this:

And everything in between
#13 Posted by Xolare (1283 posts) -
#14 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

For serious though, King Crimson.

#15 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

@Xolare said:

Yup. Done this many a times.

#16 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

Elliott Smith? Or some really long Modest Mouse albums?

#17 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

Eurobeat and Psytrance. Let's step on the gas...

#18 Edited by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

It's like a ritual for me to listen to this while driving at night.

#19 Posted by InfiniteSpark (307 posts) -

I prefer to listen to mellow rock or electronica. Some bands I listen to during a late night drive are Pavement, Built to Spill, Spoon, Yo La Tengo, Low, Sigur Ros and Eluvium.

#20 Posted by Mb246 (70 posts) -
#21 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (716 posts) -

since my previous occupation of 5 years was as a long haul trucker, i would listen to mostly electronic dance music: trance, uk hard house, goa/psy-trance, progressive house, uk hard nrg, freeform hardcore, hard drum 'n' bass, tech step, hard techno, and detroit techno. other styles of music i listened to were also: metal (not that nu-metal bullshit!), old skool rap (1981 - 1994'ish), underground hip-hop, jazz, cheesy 80's synth pop, and sometimes some soft rock. it really depended on my mood at the time being. sometimes the weather played a part. it added to the mystique of late night/early morning driving.

now that i drive big rigs locally, for a company that has satellite radio in all their trucks, i have it tuned to either octane (channel 37), lithium (channel 34), backspin (channel 46), or electric area (channel 52).

#22 Posted by Andorski (5308 posts) -
#23 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

@Xolare said:

Beat me to it. Literally all you need for night driving.

#24 Posted by EVO (3907 posts) -

This album has accompanied me on my last few night drives.

#25 Posted by PSNgamesun (408 posts) -

Guns n Roses illusions albums n gnr lies, George straight anything by him real kool stuff, Jeff buckley grace n some live stuff.soundgarden superunknown, some Ottis redding some aerosmith. I really depends on my mood

#26 Posted by Milkman (16780 posts) -

@Xolare said:

This. Also, this.

Excuse me, I'm going to go watch Drive again.

#27 Posted by Osaladin (2519 posts) -

I personally think some mellow hip hop makes for a great night drive. Nothing too heavy, more along the lines of The Roots.

#28 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

I've had that soundtrack playing while walking home in Brooklyn before; it makes it seem like shit is going to get real at any second. Especially "Tick of the Clock."

I've had Moonface's new album on heavy rotation recently, and it seems like a perfect fit for night drives:

To be fair, though, I just reaaaaally like this album. Krug hasn't made something I've liked in a while.

#29 Edited by Sbaitso (534 posts) -

Vector Lover's album Capsule For One is one of my favorite late night favorites.

The whole album isn't as down tempo as this, but it's got a very similar feel.

#30 Posted by AckbarTheGreat (419 posts) -

Play this while driving through a city and you'll feel like a total badass.

#31 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

There aren't really any specific songs that I like listening to while driving at night, but there are some songs I can only listen to while driving at night.

You can't listen to the Drive Soundtrack or a song entitled "Midnight City" without driving around a bunch of lights and darkness.

#32 Edited by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

You don't need to look any further than what was on the Drive soundtrack. Or more specifically, all the bands on the Italians Do It Better label (Chromatics, Desire, Glass Candy).

I mean, Chromatics have an album called Night Drive. Doesn't get much more on the nose than that.

#33 Posted by Mogoping (90 posts) -

Broken Bells is pretty good

#34 Edited by Orange (206 posts) -

I love listening to instrumental music while driving at night because it makes you think about some cool stuff... it's just you, your car, and an open road. Enjoy the music until you have to turn off your engine.

I wish I could list about 500 songs, but you would all hate me. Message me if you want to hear more, I love sharing music.

#35 Edited by igloodude (62 posts) -

For some reason, these songs (these albums, really) have resonated most with me as late-night driving music.

#36 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

My most recent crush.

And this one too.

#37 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

#38 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2160 posts) -

@Fjordson:

Speaking of Night Drive...

#39 Posted by BjornTheUnicorn (356 posts) -

Drive soundtrack yessssss. Maybe also try Tortoise's TNT, some Sparklehorse, Grandaddy, Fuck Buttons, etc, etc.

#40 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

Iron and Wine's "The Shepherd's Dog."

I also like listening to modern bluegrass on cool nights with the windows down. Just seems right.

#41 Posted by hoossy (934 posts) -

@Buscemi said:

@Xolare said:

Yup. Done this many a times.

#42 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -
#43 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -

That final verse, man. Goddamn.

#44 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -
#45 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

I'M GIVING YOU A NIGHTCALL TO TELL YOU...HOW I FEEL....

#46 Posted by EuanDewar (4908 posts) -
@Everyones_A_Critic I WANT TO DRIVE YOU THROUGH THE NIGHT...DOWN THE HILLS....

UGH so good
#47 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

@EuanDewar: @Xolare said:

Funny I was going to say the same thing.

#48 Posted by JOURN3Y (230 posts) -

All Beatles, all the time!

#49 Posted by Voshterkoff (125 posts) -

As a fan of Kavinsky before Drive came out, pretty much anything he has made. It's nice that he got featured so prominently in something from hollywood.

#50 Posted by Bucketdeth (8010 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@EuanDewar: @Xolare said:

Funny I was going to say the same thing.

I think we all have a little 'Driver' inside of us.