#1 Posted by rotorious (68 posts) -

I will make this short and sweet. Does anyone else feel like they are trying a bit too hard to be the Queen of this generation?

#2 Posted by Quarters (1624 posts) -

I haven't been able to bring myself to buy it. Heard a couple of songs from it, and they sounded rough. Ever since they became more synomous with Twilight, their music has taken a bit of a turn.

#3 Edited by Epidehl (284 posts) -

Eh, maybe? I like Queen a lot, and Survival and United States of Eurasia, arguably Muse's most Queen-like songs, are probably my favorites. Outside of the occasional song like that though I guess I don't really hear it.

#4 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I liked Muse's first album and that was it. Trying too hard to be Queen exactly. Odd, considering The Black Parade is basically MCR trying to be queen and made a decent pop album whilst they were at it.

Muse kept the theatrics and added that Bellamy pretension, but seem to have forgotten how to make some good pop music.

#5 Posted by Thoseposers (773 posts) -

After listening to it a bunch i think it's ok, not their best but some of the songs have good things going on in them. I just really hated anything with Chris singing and it felt a little too crammed, i wished it felt more relaxed like at the end of The Resistance where they just spent so long doing a huge orchestrated piece.

#6 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3760 posts) -

It's not great. I love their older stuff but the last few albums just haven't been very interesting. The best parts of the last few albums were the instrumental tracks.

#7 Edited by rotorious (68 posts) -

For me, it almost seems as though they have kinda abandoned what drew me to them in the first place. Origin of Symmetry and Absolution were the first muse albums I had ever heard and was instantly hooked on their intelligent use of pianos/orchestra and Bellamy's shredding(ok, scratching).

#9 Posted by rotorious (68 posts) -

I seem to find most of the 2nd Law pretentious, but on that note.....MAN....Madness is one helluva infectious song.

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3778 posts) -

To me the band kept getting better with every new album until the 4th one and have been going downhill since then. The Resistance was still good but this last one isn't so great. Not bad either though.

#11 Posted by EXTomar (4446 posts) -

I like tracks off of both "The Resistance" and "The 2nd Law"...is that so wrong? I'm not sure where the Queen comparison comes from beyond the use of choir in some songs.

#12 Posted by Carryboy (627 posts) -

I tried telling myself it was ok untill I got to unsustainable.

#13 Edited by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

I wish they would stop singing about fucking conspiracies in bad falsetto is all. We get it; aliens and shady governments. I used to love them around Absolution, but they lost it and now I sit here wishing they'd make more stuff like Hysteria.

#14 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

I never found Muse to be that good.

#15 Edited by Meltac (1992 posts) -

Muse steadily got worse and worse after Absolution, which is a shame, because I freaking love Origins of Symmetry and Absolution.

#16 Edited by EuanDewar (4687 posts) -

its not any good but its their best album

#17 Posted by Kurtdyoung (1297 posts) -

I like it. Panic station is alright.

#18 Edited by 49th (2670 posts) -

I used to think they were ok, but recently everything I hear from them sounds the same. It's so repetitive and the guys voice is quite annoying.

Also, the new song where the guy was playing a tablet attached to a fake guitar and just tapping on it for like 2 minutes... that was dumb as hell.

#19 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3095 posts) -

It's a little melodramatic for my taste.

#20 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

I only know "Unnatural Selection" (thanks, Rocksmith!), and I really like that song, but I can imagine that style getting really old, really fast. Is that song indicative of their sound as a whole?

#21 Posted by Quarters (1624 posts) -

@shagge: Yeah, more or less. At least their more recent stuff. There's some variation, but you've got the gist.

#22 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

@quarters: Cheers. I'll give them a fair shot sometime and see how it goes.

As much as I love discovering new music, I really drag my feet when it comes to actually trying new bands for some reason, haha.