Latest PPV and weekly show discussion thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

WWE is poking the Glenn Beck Bear:

Following his criticism over the portrayal of WWE Superstars Jack Swagger and Zeb Colter, WWE has extended a formal invitation to talk show host and political commentator Glenn Beck to appear on this week’s episode of Monday Night Raw.

WWE’s invitation stems from Beck’s recent segment in which he discussed the ongoing rivalry between World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio, No. 1 contender Swagger and his self-styled mentor Colter. In the segment, Beck specifically directed his comments toward the character of Swagger, recently reinvented as a xenophobic “Real American” who delivers anti-immigration “State of the Union” addresses as the antagonist to the Mexican hero Del Rio. Beck inferred that Swagger’s persona, along with that of Colter as his mentor, would offend WWE’s “conservative” fan base. Beck also referenced WWE as “stupid wrestling people” in the segment, which aired Thursday on The BlazeTV.

WWE is in the entertainment business, creating characters and stories that revolve around our Superstars as well as culturally significant current events. Given Mr. Beck’s comments, WWE is formally extending an invitation to him to address our 14 million weekly viewers and global fan base — as well as the live audience of the WWE Universe — on WWE programming this Monday night. We look forward to Mr. Beck’s reply and the opportunity to have him on Raw.

Source: http://www.wwe.com/shows/outside-the-ring/wwe-invites-glenn-beck-to-appear-on-raw-26093818

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ha! Calling out Glenn Beck on the front page of the site is amazing. I really hope he accepts, I'd love to see the reaction that he'd get.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is the best.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is the best.

What was this from? Haven't seen a lot of Gamespot stuff.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@papercut said:

God dammit @Demoskinos, I've had your fucking entrance theme stuck in my head all day. I hate you so much.

Haha. Exactly why I picked it. Can't wait until Wed assuming you have the next episode done then.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

OH GOD THE 4TH WALL HAS BEEN TORN DOWN. KAYFABE IS DEAD!

zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humphreys: Yeah i'm guessing old Gamespot days. Haven't been able to find the video.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Loading Video...

DAT KAYFABE.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:
Loading Video...

DAT KAYFABE.

EDIT: It seems back now.

Yeah watch the 5 minute one above.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god, Zeb and Swaggie referring to characters is not something my brain can handle. The fourth wall has been obliterated.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorillamopena: I kind of don't care to see the green screen version... The illusion is fading! D:

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@gorillamopena: I kind of don't care to see the green screen version... The illusion is fading! D:

He calls Del Rio his friend Jose. Which as far as I am aware isn't Del Rio's real name either!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

All this attention almost definitely means that they're going to be sticking with Swagger until at least after WrestleMania. There's no way that the WWE passes on all this publicity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

No Caption Provided

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

My mind is broken right now.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, while Zeb and Jack are trying to kill our childhood, you might have missed these two things:

1. The genesis of the Cody Rhodes face turn.
  2. SMS: Social Media Smackdown, next week's "special" episode.

They even made a logo that's really, really dumb:

Facebook, Tout, Twitter, Youtube, APP!
Facebook, Tout, Twitter, Youtube, APP!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

My home-slice found it for me.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10572  Edited By Milkman

Sounds like Punk isn't a huge fan of Jack and Zeb's new video.

No Caption Provided

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: I would have been a much bigger fan of the IWC rolling up their sleeves and sending shit to Glenn Beck on our own...

I'm not a fan of the green screen reveal either. I know Dutch isn't a crazy old racist propagator, but I don't want the illusion removed in a professional setting (even if it is just a youtube channel).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@milkman: I would have been a much bigger fan of the IWC rolling up their sleeves and sending shit to Glenn Beck on our own...

I'm not a fan of the green screen reveal either. I know Dutch isn't a crazy old racist propagator, but I don't want the illusion removed in a professional setting (even if it is just a youtube channel).

You mean he isn't a racist? Say what?!

Yeah, that video sucks, that 'cat has been out of the bag' for ages now so why bother? They only want publicity from this for WrestleMania.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humphreys: Yes! Glad it was found.

Also this gives me an excuse to say that Def Jam: Fight for NY is the second best fighting game story ever, next to Mortal Kombat 9. I try to say that as often as possible.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@papercut said:

Also this gives me an excuse to say that Def Jam: Fight for NY is the second best fighting game story ever, next to Mortal Kombat 9. I try to say that as often as possible.

I agree with every word. I fucking loved Def Jam: Fight for New York!

zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, Virgil seems to be doing well...

No Caption Provided

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorillamopena: Wow. Hate it. Cut it at 1:30 and it would have just been great. Punk's tweet totally nailed it.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10579  Edited By jewunit

@tj311 said:

@papercut said:

I agree with every word. I fucking loved Def Jam: Fight for New York!

The payoff with Sticky Fingaz at the end is amazing!

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@papercut Oh, no! Now that I see the Magician, his assistant, and that other Magician go to the Y together, I never have to pay to see em again!

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's story time with papercut! No this story does not involve any crackheads from New Orleans.

As I was going to sleep last night I was watching the latest episode of VGCW. I'm one of those weird people that always needs something on in the background to fall asleep. Somewhere around the Dr. Wily vs Phoenix Wright match I began to drift off to dreamland. Just as I was about to fall completely asleep, the song "Battle of Lil' Slugger" from Super Meat Boy started playing during the match. This piece of music happens to be the PandaCut entrance music in WarLoC if you didn't already know.

I all of a sudden I opened my eyes, sat straight up in bed and was wide awake. Why? Because... I guess thought I had a match? I had that feeling when you wake up half an hour late and you know you are going to be late for your first period Marine Biology class but in this case, it was like I was going to be late for my King of the WarLoCs match. As soon as the music hit it was a pavlovian response for me to get my fictional gear on.

I think I might be working a little too much on this WarLoC stuff...

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10582  Edited By dazzhardy

If I was so skilled, this would have an "I AM THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS!" near the end

Edit: Like So

No Caption Provided

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dazzhardy said:

If I was so skilled, this would have an "I AM THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS!" near the end

Here you go, I did it as i'm currently learning how to .gif with Photoshop.

Edit; Dragged and Dropped this and it ain't working... Here's a direct link

No Caption Provided

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, this knucklehead showed up to a Smackdown house show this weekend:

[image]

So, *GONG* this Monday?

In other news, there's a rumor going around that there's going to be a fake Glenn Beck on Raw.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

So, *GONG* this Monday?

In other news, there's a rumor going around that there's going to be a fake Glenn Beck on Raw.

No Caption Provided

SANDOW V TAKER!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's alright you guys, WWE spoilt it themselves on Twitter. Remember when people used to criticise the IWC/Dirt-sheets for ruining surprises? Good Times.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papercut said:

YES. Def Jam: Fight For NY was AWESOME all-around. EA fucked up bad dropping AKI for Def Jam: Icon.

So for those of you that don't know, a female MMA fight is headlining the UFC PPV tonight. Could someone explain to me how in 2013 WWE still can't figure out what to do with its women? Clearly Dana gets that if you build up female stars as attractions then you will draw female viewers, why can't Vince?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10590  Edited By laserbolts

@cmblasko said:

@papercut said:

YES. Def Jam: Fight For NY was AWESOME all-around. EA fucked up bad dropping AKI for Def Jam: Icon.

So for those of you that don't know, a female MMA fight is headlining the UFC PPV tonight. Could someone explain to me how in 2013 WWE still can't figure out what to do with its women? Clearly Dana gets that if you build up female stars as attractions then you will draw female viewers, why can't Vince?

Is it ok if I just blame it on Cena without any reasoning?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's alright you guys, WWE spoilt it themselves on Twitter. Remember when people used to criticise the IWC/Dirt-sheets for ruining surprises? Good Times.

On the other side, you know how to put buts in seats during House Shows? Show them that this is the stuff they could miss out on.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is exactly what I said when they outed Alberto Del Rio as WHC a couple of months ago.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's looking pretty fat.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserbolts: I don't see why not. Let's spin it this way: Cena has so much clout backstage that if he wanted to he could get some programs running between some of the more talented women.

Oh, and a tweet by former WWE creative member Court Bauer just reminded me that Danica Patrick is in the #1 position at the Daytona 500 today, yet WWE haven't had a decent feud between their female wrestlers since Trish Stratus was a regular.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

@papercut said:

Because when the people with power don't think it'll draw, they won't put the effort to make it a draw.

Kevin Dunn is the one behind the Diva Search and has been known to think that women are eye candy and not much else, Triple H as a wrestler has been know to try and bury the women (from former writer Alex Greenfield: " What we did with the Mickie and Trish program absolutely proves that [women can draw]. We were getting show opener's and mid-point cross over segments. We were doing great in the ratings. We were drawing money throughout that program. You'd think the lesson would be -- here, we can tie this in to a Triple H thing. You would think that the lesson would be, 'Oh, women can draw. Let's keep the women's division strong. We can continue to draw.' Or, you can take the approach of one of the things that Hunter said, which was, 'Giving them all this time; doesn't that take away from the men?'"), Triple H as an executive seems to still not be very pro-women's wrestling, but he's hiring more wrestlers than models and Vince is said to be behind the massive AJ push last year, but the reason he wasn't interested with any Diva for so long is because he thought that none of them could replace Trish or Lita.

Also, another problem is that they've neglected the division for so long that they're going to need to do massive work to make it meaningful to most fans again (be it by doing like they did with AJ and have women interact with the men in main event angles or by slowly rebuilding the division by giving them mic time and ring time).

By the way here's the interview with Greenfield where he talks about the Trish and Mickie angle (that he produced).

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of women in wrestling, Stacy Keibler looked fantastic on the red carpet.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

So, *GONG* this Monday?

I just want to say "called it" and if Ace Steel shows up on Raw in a Glen Beck wig I'm taking the Wizard Belt for myself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

He's looking pretty fat.

That's what constant binge-drinking will do to you.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10599  Edited By Krullban

@krullban said:

He's looking pretty fat.

I was talking about Undertaker.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

@humphreys said:

@krullban said:

He's looking pretty fat.

I was talking about Undertaker.

Oh, right. Well, considering the condition of his body [injuries] i'm wondering why he's even still wrestling. I know Scott has psychological problems, I wasn't trying to be a douche I just thought that's who you were referring to.