Latest PPV and weekly show discussion thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Pizzamania? Pizzamania.

pizzamania.hankhuckabay.com

Site is still super new so you are basically bug testing. If your using IE there is also a chance it may be...not good.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11952  Edited By jewunit

@papercut: Fantastic! I love how you snuck in the Battle of the Bears and Rabid. As for the gallery, the Japanese Strong Style is definitely my favorite. Excellent work! Did the exhibition go well?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#11953  Edited By turboman

I think I'm in agreement that the Japanese one is my favorite of the bunch(though Carnival has my favorite pair of wrestling tights), but overall great job of taking a dumb joke and going all the way with it. Hopefully the exhibit goes(went?) well!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papercut: Duuuuuuuuuude, it's so good. Love the Battle of the Bears and Rabid references. And yeah, that Japanese Strong Style one is fucking phenomenal. Here's to hoping the exhibit goes/went stellar.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So fuck man. I'm totally out of the loop when the hell is extreme rules? Is it next sunday? Was it this sunday? Hell I've not even been paying attention.

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@papercut:

Awesome! Love how that turned out, looks like you're in the (p)zone.

@demoskinos:

Oh right, wrestling has PPVs... I've honestly just been on autopilot lately, I completely forgot about Extreme Rules too.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@rabid619: Yeah, me either. I'm still sorta paying attention but mostly because The shield is still awesome and Ziggler still gives me a wrestling boner. I'm waiting for them to screw both of those things up so I can just throw my hands up and quit for awhile.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If nothing else a Ziggler/Swagger/Del Rio Ladder Match sounds like a whole boat load of fun.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@jewunit said:

@turboman: I finally sat down and watched Okada vs. Tanahashi today. I don't know if it's Match of the Year for me, but it is an excellent match. Would you want to throw in that last Steen/Generico match or is that overkill given the number of big matches already on the list?

@williamhenry said:

@bennym6 said:

My interest in RAW these days is at it's lowest as far as storyline wise but I feel like RAW has been getting better matches every week. Hopefully this keeps up.

Good matches can only generate so much interest though. No matter how good it is, if there is no reason for you to be invested in it, its nothing more than a time killer.

More often than not, I change the channel when I see a bad story segment coming on RAW. I will generally not change the channel if I know a "bad" match is coming.

I think good matches are definitely a draw. Good wrestlers can exhibit a personality and a reason to interested without a person knowing their storyline. I went to a Chikara show knowing next to nothing about the characters, but they entertained me and provided a product that told a solid story. WWE is certainly capable of doing that kind of storytelling because I see it on Saturday Morning Slam. They have the power to incorporate their characters in a worthwhile way that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator.

A bad story segment is enough of a reason to change the channel as a bad match. I didn't say just because its part of a story, that automatically makes it worth watching. Bad content is bad content, no matter if its a match or story related. I'll agree with you that I'd rather watch a bad match than a lame story segment.

I also never said good matches aren't a draw, just that good matches alone aren't enough. I think comparing an indy show and WWE isn't really fair. Your expectations are different for each. WWE is at the top of the food chain, there shouldn't be any reason why they put out such a shitty product 95% of the time. If I was going to see a Chikara show, I wouldn't know what to expect really but I wouldn't go in expecting the best wrestling show possible.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11961  Edited By turboman

Paul London suffered a concussion off of Davey Richards double foot stomp during the iPPV

In a match-up that surprises nobody. Jay Briscoe vs. Mark Briscoe will happen at Best In The World this year.

Y2J will be on Raw tonight.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@williamhenry: Point taken. I am more apt to criticize the WWE than Chikara because of my expectations, the scale of the product, and what it means to me. I think it's the reason Wrestlemania felt like a disappointment. It would have been a decent PPV, but it felt like worse product because it was Wrestlemania.

That being said, the WWE has always had storyline hits and misses. Even in the Attitude Era, dumb stuff like Stephanie McMahon being tried to an Undertaker symbol and Mark Henry's sexual exploits kept me clicking away and waiting for the matches. The good stuff though, the Ziggler/ADR/Swagger storyline as an example, is compelling and worth wading through the bad.

Some of it is also just taste and preference. Even though he never has a storyline going, I like to see Santino wrestle. I know a number of people who will flip the channel once they see him powerwalk to the ring. Everyone's expectations for the product are going to vary and that includes discerning what makes a good character and a good storyline.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25:

"This isn't supposed to happen in an office."

- Another Office Employee

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papercut: That was amazing, duder. Great job. To celebrate, here's the return of WWE in 5 Minutes:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11966  Edited By turboman

@drx25: I don't really like this guy's work over Thrillmurray's

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Is it a different guy doing these now? I remember the old ones being much more clever. These are just tired memes and catch phrases played over clips.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11968  Edited By Milkman

I started to watch Border Wars last night but only got through a couple matches before I fell asleep. (Not the show's fault, it was late and I was tired.) But from what I did see...

• I've officially run out of ways to say ACH is amazing. Him, Thomas and C&C all did great in the opening match. I'm not really holding my breath on ROH using ACH to his full potential at any point but I'll hold out hope.
  • I have no idea what this "Cheeseburger" shit was about during the Mike Bennett-Roderick Strong match but it sucked. Sexual assault isn't cool, kids. Nice to see that the face-heel dynamic is completely fucked in other places besides WWE. Use Mike Bennett better, ROH or let him go someplace else where he will be.
  • The I Quit Match was whatever but I did enjoy the end with Steve Corino sacrificing himself. I like that SCUM has become kind of cult instead of just Aces & Eights: ROH Remix.
  • The SCUM-ROH tag match is kind of a blur as I think this is the part where I started to fall asleep. I did find it weird that Steen has so quickly gone from being an unbeatable monster to taking the pin on back-to-back PPVs. Not necessarily a bad thing, just kind of strange.

And by the way, this:

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11969  Edited By turboman

@milkman: I don't know if it's been talked about on here or not, but Bryan vs. Ryback is an awesome match that should be seen by everyone. It's got logic.

Also, here's video of Davey Richards killing Paul London. Don't watch if you don't want to see someone's head getting smashed:

Loading Video...

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11970  Edited By joshthebear

@turboman: Jesus fucking christ, that's bad.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11971  Edited By Milkman

MONDAY NIGHT CHAT

TONIGHT...

• will John Cena be able to RISE ABOVE ACHILLES?
  • After Brock Lesnar went on the warpath at WWE HQ, what piece of furniture will he demolish next?
  • Antonio Cesaro lost again last week but actually looked like a human being, can he do it again?
  • How will Sheamus emasculate Mark Henry this week? Racial slurs? Insulting his mother? TUNE IN AND FIND OUT!!!
cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: Is that a move he performs often? How would you possibly make that move safe?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko: He does it every once in a while, usually nails them in the chest (where he's supposed to hit). He just overjumped on this one.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11974  Edited By Dynablade

@turboman: Jesus fucking christ, that's bad.

^ Seriously, that was brutal as hell. Hope that isn't a career ender.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@turboman: Oh no. Fuck you for posting that. Fuck me for watching that. No! NO! NOOOO!!

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've been out of the Wrestling Thread loop, or just wrestling in general. So few questions.

Is Raw been any good since post Mania Raw?

How much Chikara have I missed?

Hows this SCUM stuff going?

Extreme Rules is on May 19th. Not a real question, just wanted to point that out there. Hopefully Luke Gallows comes back at Extreme Rules to fuck with Kane in that awesome wig.

Holy Shit how is Paul London still alive?

What the HELL is this Big E music?!

What the DOUBLE HELL is this Extreme Rules poster?

No Caption Provided

How is this Xtreme/What the hell are you pointing at Sheamus/That index finger looks super weird.

That is all.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@cmblasko: He does it every once in a while, usually nails them in the chest (where he's supposed to hit). He just overjumped on this one.

Gotcha. For some reason indy guys really seem to love those M. Bison stomps.

I hate when indy wrestlers botch their own move, resulting in their partner getting hurt, and their only response is to then shrug to the crowd like "oh well, that's what he gets for putting his safety in my hands." You see that in the CZW Botchamania videos a lot.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11978  Edited By hockeymask27

Well how was it guys I can't anymore.

Was it has good as this

Loading Video...

bennym6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@cmblasko: Yeah cuz every guy in WWE is safe and people never get hurt, wait people ALMOST CONSTANTLY get hurt every few weeks in the WWE due to unsafe moves. Shit like that will always happen because those guys are human and they make mistakes. To act like that only happens on the indie scene is ridiculous.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papercut:

Is Raw been any good since post Mania Raw?

It's had its moments. The show has kind of suffered without Punk.

How much Chikara have I missed?

There were two shows in March and another one WrestleMania weekend. COLONY X-TREME FORCE

Matt Hardy is still in it so, poorly.

Holy Shit how is Paul London still alive?

Weed.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11981  Edited By cmblasko

@bennym6: I didn't say that it only happens in the indies.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11982  Edited By turboman

@milkman said:

@papercut:

Matt Hardy doesn't have particularly good matches, but he gets the most heat out of every audience, and Steve Corino's introduction of Hardy at Supercard of Honor made it all worth it (When he claimed Matt Hardy was the Jesus Christ of professional wrestling, and announced him as being from the Holy City of Cameron, North Carolina).

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@milkman said:

@papercut:

Matt Hardy doesn't have particularly good matches, but he gets the most heat out of every audience, and Steve Corino's introduction of Hardy at Supercard of Honor made it all worth it (When he claimed Matt Hardy was the Jesus Christ of professional wrestling, and announced him as being from the Holy City of Cameron, North Carolina).

Yeah, modern day Matt Hardy does a pretty good job of depicting his completely scum bag-ish self (no pun intended). I don't know how much of that is him intentionally coming off that way or if he simply can't hide it, but i certainly enjoy hating him. He's like a tolerable Charlie Haas.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@milkman said:

@papercut:

Regardless of Matt Hardy getting heat, that doesn't mean that he's actually good at his job. He gets heat because he's Matt Hardy, not because he's a good heel.

Admittedly, I do enjoy when Corino seems to be actively trolling with Hardy, hyping him up to these ridiculous levels but that doesn't mean I ever want to watch him talk and/or wrestle.

I was being dismissive with SCUM there though. I actually am enjoying what they're doing with it to a certain extent.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11985  Edited By turboman

I might wait and do the WNW thing on Sunday night... or next wednesday...

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry got that wrong, updated the Smackdown Cliffsnotes to what the reports are saying closed the show.

Main Event Cliffsnotes:

• JBL and Cole were the announcers.
  • Randy Orton defeated Antonio Cesaro. Long match that ended with the RKO.
  • Justin Gabriel and The Usos defeated 3MB when Gabriel hit the 450 on Slater.

Smackdown Cliffsnotes:

• The Highlight Reel with Ryback opened the show. At the end of the segment, Teddy Long came out and made Ryback/Jericho for later and Ryback sucker punched Jericho.
  • Kofi Kingston defeated Cody Rhodes with Trouble in Paradise.
  • They re-aired the entire Brock office destruction segment.
  • Zeb and Swagger were interviewed backstage. It was mentioned that Swagger will be facing Big E Langston. Zeb said it was A Real American vs Affirmative Action.
  • Jack Swagger vs Big E was a massive clusterfuck that ended with Alberto Del Rio (who was there as guest commentator) posing with the World Title on the top of a ladder.
  • Dean Ambrose defeated Daniel Bryan by DQ when, with Roman Reigns attacking Bryan, Kofi Kingston ran out, made the save and beat up Ambrose.
  • They showed a clip of Mark Henry trying to break the world record for pulling a tractor trailer truck.
  • Randy Orton was interviewed, he said he was a poisonous snake.
  • Big Show defeated Sweet T. After the match, Show tried to WMD Brodus Clay, but Orton ran out and RKO'd Show.
  • Backstage, Kaitlyn was with Natalya, trying to figure out who the secret admirer is. Khali was shown doing undercover business by wearing a Rey Mysterio mask.
  • Chris Jericho defeated Ryback by DQ when Ryback crotched Jericho on a ring post. After the match, Ryback threw Jericho over the announce table.
  • Josh Mathews interviewed Mark Henry about his record attempt. Henry stated that the tractor trailers weighed 55 tons. THIS CLOSED THE SHOW.

So Kofi and Team Hell No vs The Shield in a winner takes all match? Also, no Sheamus or Fandango on this show, which is weird. Even weirder is what's being reported as the show closing segment (I have to imagine that it will get edited into earlier in the show).

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

• Chris Jericho defeated Ryback by DQ when Ryback crotched Jericho on a ring post.

WHAT!?

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone save David Otunga, he is trapped in the insanity of late night HLN trial coverage.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

Smackdown Cliffsnotes:

• The Highlight Reel with Ryback opened the show. At the end of the segment, Teddy Long came out and made Ryback/Jericho for later and Ryback sucker punched Jericho.
  • Kofi Kingston defeated Cody Rhodes with Trouble in Paradise.
  • They re-aired the entire Brock office destruction segment.
  • Zeb and Swagger were interviewed backstage. It was mentioned that Swagger will be facing Big E Langston. Zeb said it was A Real American vs Affirmative Action.
  • Jack Swagger vs Big E was a massive clusterfuck that ended with Alberto Del Rio (who was there as guest commentator) posing with the World Title on the top of a ladder.
  • Dean Ambrose defeated Daniel Bryan by DQ when, with Roman Reigns attacking Bryan, Kofi Kingston ran out, made the save and beat up Ambrose.
  • They showed a clip of Mark Henry trying to break the world record for pulling a tractor trailer truck.
  • Randy Orton was interviewed, he said he was a poisonous snake.
  • Big Show defeated Sweet T. After the match, Show tried to WMD Brodus Clay, but Orton ran out and RKO'd Show.
  • Khali was shown doing undercover business by wearing a Rey Mysterio mask.
  • Chris Jericho defeated Ryback by DQ when Ryback crotched Jericho on a ring post. After the match, Ryback threw Jericho over the announce table.
  • Josh Mathews interviewed Mark Henry about his record attempt. Henry stated that the tractor trailers weighed 55 tons. THIS CLOSED THE SHOW.

So Kofi and Team Hell No vs The Shield in a winner takes all match? Also, no Sheamus or Fandango on this show, which is weird. Even weirder is what's being reported as the show closing segment (I have to imagine that it will get edited into earlier in the show).

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUCK.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@hockeymask27 said:

Well how was it guys I can't anymore.

Was it has good as this

That actually got a pop + clapping if my hearing is any good. Speaking of hearing, if you watch the footage of Lesnar trashing Triple H's office you can tell that most of what Heyman said was recorded in-post and was a reaction to what Brock did.

My reaction at Raw having another 1/2 an hour exclusively on Yahoo?

No Caption Provided

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Jesus, RAW was already 3hrs 15 mins, now its going to 3:45 on Yahoo, and according to this thread Smackdown re-aired an entire 10-15 minute segment from RAW on their own way-too-long show?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11994  Edited By turboman

DDP did a YouShoot interview and it looks pretty fun. Aside from probably dodging the wife-swapping stories in WCW (not that anybody should care that much anyways), it looks like DDP isn't pulling any punches here.

Loading Video...

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11995  Edited By Milkman

Sigh...I'd be lying if I said I was surprised. But this is depressing all the same...

No Caption Provided

Cool champion, ROH!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorillamopena: The way it was written in the Wrestling Observer news piece, it sounds like CW ordered the show like a morning cartoon and only asked WWE to make X number of episodes and then probably run repeats until they found a replacement show or ordered them to make some more.

Also, Dolph Ziggler is out with a concussion:

World Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler suffered a concussion at Tuesday night’s SmackDown taping at N.C. State when he interfered in Big E Langston's bout with Jack Swagger. According to WWE physician Dr. Michael Sampson, Ziggler was injured during the early part of the fracas after a blow to the face. A post-match examination by WWE medical staff confirmed the injury.

“He [was] having some memory difficulties and a bit of a headache … he definitely has a concussion,” said Sampson. “We’re checking him out, and going to be doing neuropsychological testing and just keep it monitored.”

Though clinically Ziggler’s concussion was confirmed, the tests – which should yield results within the next couple of days – will provide WWE medical officials with a “baseline” from which to monitor The Showoff’s clinical and neuropsychological progress as time passes.

Check back with WWE.com for more updates on Ziggler’s condition.

Source: http://www.wwe.com/inside/dolph-ziggler-suffers-concussion-26113883

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

@gorillamopena: The way it was written in the Wrestling Observer news piece, it sounds like CW ordered the show like a morning cartoon and only asked WWE to make X number of episodes and then probably run repeats until they found a replacement show or ordered them to make some more.

Also, Dolph Ziggler is out with a concussion:

World Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler suffered a concussion at Tuesday night’s SmackDown taping at N.C. State when he interfered in Big E Langston's bout with Jack Swagger. According to WWE physician Dr. Michael Sampson, Ziggler was injured during the early part of the fracas after a blow to the face. A post-match examination by WWE medical staff confirmed the injury.

“He [was] having some memory difficulties and a bit of a headache … he definitely has a concussion,” said Sampson. “We’re checking him out, and going to be doing neuropsychological testing and just keep it monitored.”

Though clinically Ziggler’s concussion was confirmed, the tests – which should yield results within the next couple of days – will provide WWE medical officials with a “baseline” from which to monitor The Showoff’s clinical and neuropsychological progress as time passes.

Check back with WWE.com for more updates on Ziggler’s condition.

Source: http://www.wwe.com/inside/dolph-ziggler-suffers-concussion-26113883

Yeah that is what it seems like. Still sucks that it won't be on every week, it is quite the fun show.

Concussion news is ugly, but there should be time for him to recover before the PPV. If he isn't cleared by then, eesh, I guess they could throw it on Del Rio/Swagger then have Ziggler come back saying he never lost it.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11999  Edited By turboman

@milkman: That's super painful to read. I mean, I know he is his character and you have a right to believe whatever you want, but you have to know that you can't say something like that when you're the face of a very small company.

@gorillamopena: I'm thinking that it's depending on the severity of the concussion, but most of the time WWE seems to clear their wrestlers to return in about a week.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12000  Edited By Milkman

Update on Jay Briscoe shooting gay rights activists: his Twitter account seems to have been deleted. So, there's that. I gotta assume there's going to be some sort of punishment coming his way from ROH. I would hope so anyway.