This topic is locked from further discussion.

#12601 Posted by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

@papercut said:

I hate you so much right now. Why did you post this.

#12602 Edited by Tajasaurus (895 posts) -

@turboman: I don't see why he isn't commentating on Smackdown, or used like Mike Tenay was initially in WCW where he would just be brought on for a match featuring guys people weren't that familiar with and building a strong background quickly. Whether you like his commentary style or not, I think that the fact that his sound bites are still being used in montages is pretty telling of how good he is at that stuff.

It's a shame, though. Hopefully he finds a place somewhere still in wrestling.

#12603 Edited by DoesitOffendYou_Yeah (137 posts) -

@turboman said:

Sucks to see a true fan of the sport with a lot of knowledge of its history to be dumped like that. He isn't a vital part of the program, but he at least deserved another shot on commentary in my opinion.

I agree, when he was on commentary, he actually talked in-depth about the moves and any psychology that was going on. Which, at the time, was amazing to hear when co-incided with Cole and King's bickering.

#12604 Edited by MildMolasses (3224 posts) -

@papercut said:

I hate you so much right now. Why did you post this.

This is making me hate him in the best way possible. I hope the keep this up because then I would at least enjoy his matches for the sake of watching him get the crap beat out of him

#12605 Posted by DrX25 (1534 posts) -
#12606 Posted by WilliamHenry (1204 posts) -

@turboman: I don't see why he isn't commentating on Smackdown, or used like Mike Tenay was initially in WCW where he would just be brought on for a match featuring guys people weren't that familiar with and building a strong background quickly. Whether you like his commentary style or not, I think that the fact that his sound bites are still being used in montages is pretty telling of how good he is at that stuff.

It's a shame, though. Hopefully he finds a place somewhere still in wrestling.

This is all from dirtsheets, so take it as you will, but apparently Striker is a dick and the other commentators didn't like working with him. That would explain why he was demoted so quickly and treated like shit in just about every segment he was in.

#12607 Posted by papercut (3502 posts) -

For the love of god, someone help me. I've fallen down a VGCW hole and I can't get out. I am hooked on Wrestlevania Season 4.

#12608 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

@drx25: Oh god, it's so glorious. I've missed the recaps immensely.

#12610 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

Bummed that Striker was let go. Always enjoyed him on commentary. It's mind-boggling that he is no longer there while Lawler is still making jokes about spanking on PPVs.

#12611 Edited by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

Bad interviewer/good interview from Striker post-WWE.

• not going to gossip about anything behind the scenes
  • if nothing works out for him on the indy/TNA level, he's ok with going back to teaching
  • feels like he outstayed his welcome in WWE, possibly holding onto a spot that was meant for somebody else
  • whoever's doing the interview is awful

#12612 Posted by Milkman (17014 posts) -

@williamhenry: There are definitely a lot of stories about Striker rubbing a lot of people the wrong way during his time in WWE and I remember Colin Delaney (I think it was Delaney) saying on his episode of AOW that Striker was always a dick to him.

Also, he was shitty at his job. (Not to say that Cole or Lawler are any better, of course. But "better than Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler" isn't exactly something to put on your resume.) Raw is instantly a better show with Renee Young taking his spot.

#12613 Edited by DoesitOffendYou_Yeah (137 posts) -

@turboman: That interview is why I find the reports about Striker being a dick hard to imagine, he seems a very genuine guy. Of course, what translates on screen doesn't reflect what goes on behind the scenes, but still.

#12614 Posted by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

SHEETZ (from WO, so probably legit)

• It's planned for DB to win MITB and cash it in at Summerslam
  • The Wyatt family will probably debut on this Monday's Raw.
#12615 Edited by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

JTG is the nicest guy

#12616 Edited by WilliamHenry (1204 posts) -

@milkman said:

@williamhenry: There are definitely a lot of stories about Striker rubbing a lot of people the wrong way during his time in WWE and I remember Colin Delaney (I think it was Delaney) saying on his episode of AOW that Striker was always a dick to him.

Also, he was shitty at his job. (Not to say that Cole or Lawler are any better, of course. But "better than Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler" isn't exactly something to put on your resume.) Raw is instantly a better show with Renee Young taking his spot.

He was a bad backstage interviewer, but how much of that can really be his fault? Surely those interviews are entirely scripted and he has just been doing what he's been told to do. He was a good commentator though. His knowledge of wrestling gave the commentating and wrestling some much needed credibility for the brief time he was doing it. He focused on the matches and did whatever he could to get the wrestlers over, instead of shitting on just about every match/wrestler, arguing with the other announces, ignoring most matches, and only caring about himself.

#12617 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2215 posts) -

I don't think Striker was good at commentary at all. I know many like him, I know he loves wrestling and tried to talk about it. But little things like when he would clap about something rubbed me the wrong way.

He also might have never recovered from yelling CENA'S FREE at the end Survivor Series 11.

I just never thought he was that good at his job and was easily replaceable. Renee Young is fine for this talk to people backstage thing, unless you really care about the Superstars Announce Team. Which you don't, because you don't watch Superstars.

#12618 Posted by MjHealy (1859 posts) -
#12619 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Anyone here were loyal WCW watchers even to the bitter end? Trying to find out if I know of all of the very WORST things that happened in WCW, cause maybe there's a few that missed threw the cracks on me.

Off the top of my head, were I to make a worst of WCW botchamania episode, it'd include:

Heenan saying, "But whose side is he on?"

Raven's hair pulled by fan.

Jay Leno arm bar.

David Arquette wins title.

Making fun of JRs C.P.

Finger poke of doom.

Bash at the Beach 2000 lay down, Russo admits wrestling is fake on a PPV.

That PPV that was pulled from TV before the main event took place.

Scott Steiner's Flair shoot, turn to WWF recommendation.

Tony Schavone/Mankind.

David Flair's career.

Missing anything?

#12620 Edited by DrX25 (1534 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor: Vince Russo wins the World Title, Hulk Hogan gets supervision, Halloween Havoc 1995 (The Giant/Hogan monster truck fight, Hogan kills Giant, Giant no sells death and THE YEA-TAY!). I'm sure I'm missing some, but I'm not so good on WCW.

Also, I'd say that "But whose side is he on?" was actually pretty great in context as it would make sense for the Hogan-basher Heenan to say that and for him to just jump on the Hogan bandwagon would have been weird.

#12621 Edited by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor: Robocop, a particularly bad Bash at the Beach promo (the one with the midgets and bombs), the entirety of the return of the Ultimate Warrior

#12622 Edited by lord_canti (1517 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor: rick stinner bit with child's plays Chucky was pretty bad.

when ratings started to go in the UK they added Adam west style batman bash and thwak bubbles over any weapons/blood ect to appeal to a family audience. i cannot find images or video of this anywhere but it happened, wwe just seems to be sending cease and desist orders to anyone who puts up footage

#12623 Posted by TurboMan (7604 posts) -
#12624 Edited by jewunit (1063 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor: @lord_canti: Rick Steiner also had a pet fly for a little while that he would talk to about stuff. It was pretty bad.

Other stuff:

The Misfits In Action, which included General Hugh G. Rection (Hugh Morris), Corporal Cajun (Lash Leroux), GI Bro (Booker T), Major Gunns (Tylene Buck), Major Stash (Van Hammer), Sgt. AWOL (The Wall) and Lt. Loco (Chavo Guerrero)

Goldberg's taser-based loss to Kevin Nash

ICP wrestling (teaming them with Vampiro and Muda was alright)

Dennis Rodman and Karl Malone wrestling

The Hardcore Junkyard Invitational Match

@turboman: Sabu fighting that table was AMAZING.

#12625 Posted by zombiesatemycereal (427 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor: Filthy animals, 70s guy Mike Awesome, Mark Madden on commentary, 2000 return of nWo, The New Blood, Goldberg turning heel

#12626 Posted by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

Now, things WCW did right in the 2000s going forward:

1. 3 Count
#12627 Posted by Milkman (17014 posts) -

@turboman said:

Now, things WCW did right in the 2000s going forward:

1. 3 Count

It lasted literally a week but the WCW Cruiserweight tag division had so much potential. The Filthy Animals, the Jung Dragons, Air Raid (featuring a pre-ROH AJ Styles), Elix Skipper. Somehow the WWE decided that fucking Shannon Moore was more interesting than all of these guys (besides Kidman and Mysterio).

#12628 Edited by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

Don't forget Lance Storm's push and renaming every title he won.

#12629 Edited by jewunit (1063 posts) -

@zombiesatemycereal: @boocreepyfootdoctor That 70's Guy Mike Awesome > Fat Chick Thrilla Mike Awesome

What a shame that Mike Awesome never caught a big break in WCW or ECW. He was so good!

@turboman: They never amounted to much after WCW closed, but Jindrak and O'Haire were pretty cool. I was really excited to see them in the WWF.

:

#12630 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#12631 Posted by papercut (3502 posts) -
#12632 Posted by TurboMan (7604 posts) -
#12633 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Can someone explain what was SUPPOSED to happen in that CZW casket match in botchamania?

#12634 Posted by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

Don't know if any of you dudes are into photoshop but 2kGames is running a contest to design the cover of WWE 2K14.

Info here: http://www.2ksports.com/wwecovercontest/

It would be cool if someone from here won. =D

#12635 Posted by Roomrunner (841 posts) -

Good to see 2K is putting the same freedom into that contest as a typical Monday Night Raw WWE APP poll

#12636 Posted by papercut (3502 posts) -
#12637 Posted by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

Can someone explain what was SUPPOSED to happen in that CZW casket match in botchamania?

I looked this up. You was supposed to win by putting your opponent in the casket and holding him in there for the count to 5.

So instead of holding the door shut, the opponent tried to light the casket on fire(?), but that didn't work, so one of the ring crew came out to light the casket on fire for the stupid wrestler (which would be a disqualification), but the ref started counting earlier, expecting the guy to pop out at 4 or something. The guy didn't pop out because the other guys dumb fire spot was borked, and the ref couldn't stop counting because of keyfabe...

Dumb.

#12638 Posted by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

@papercut: Pizza Boy Alt Box for WWE2k14 confirmed?

Also, I enjoy that they put up the entire roster when only about 5 or so deserve to be on a box. I might make a Jinder Mahal box cover just to amuse myself...

The right choice is Daniel Bryan though.

#12639 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

On the subject of WWE 2k14, who should be the cover guy this year?

I'd love to say Daniel Bryan but I think it's another year before he's THERE.

#12640 Posted by papercut (3502 posts) -

@turboman: yeah that's the one I downloaded first. Then maybe Ziggy. Then objectively Sheamus and Cena are probably the entries that are going to win.

I can't find anywhere if it says you can't do multiple wrestlers for one cover. I was thinking of doing what they used to do for the SDvR games.

ALSO, how is there Heath Slater and Jinder Mahal but no Drew? How am I suppose to make a 3MB cover now?!

#12641 Posted by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

On the subject of WWE 2k14, who should be the cover guy this year?

I'd love to say Daniel Bryan but I think it's another year before he's THERE.

by the time the game comes out, he could very well be the WWE Champion.

#12642 Edited by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

@papercut: I searched the #WWE2k14cover hash tag and judging by the dozen or so I went through the competition isn't exactly fierce. Let us see it when you're done!

@gunslingerpanda Also so apparently you didn't die a fiery stomach death Panda?

#12643 Edited by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

@turboman huh. He didn't look to be locked into the casket at all, let alone five seconds. Ref could've restarted the count after the interference. If the finish was supposed to be: closed, set on fire, but dude escapes at Four: they could've just repeated the spot. If the dude wasn't supposed to escape, but climbed out to try to repeat the spot, with fire, but ref went fuck it its over now, yeah that's bad. Bad communication.

#12644 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4827 posts) -

@demoskinos: Ha, it randomly cleared up itself at 6AM. Ended up watching that CM Punk documentary on Netflix after.

@turboman: Actually that's a good point, the game is months off. I'm just dumb.

#12645 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Well CM was 2013, Orton 2012, Cena & Orton (NTSC vs. PAL) shared 2011, Cena was front and center 2010, HHH & HBK 2009, Taker 2008, HHH 2007, Cena & Batista 2006. My guess is that it's either yet another Cena or HHH cover, or Brock Lesnar, or my personal hope, The Shield. Don't think the powers that be love DB or DZ or ADR or Henry enough to market them as so, and Ryback hasn't done enough yet. Big Show, Taker, and Sheamus have done squat lately to deserve it. Brock's the easy choice. Shield would be great. DB/Ziggler would be incredible but don't hold your breath. Maybe if Henry gets a push this summer as Cena's villain?

#12646 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Notice the members of the Shield aren't part of your choices on that site?

#12647 Posted by papercut (3502 posts) -

@gunslingerpanda: Well according to wikipedia, the cover athlete this year is The Rock. You know, the guy that lost at Mania and we haven't seen since.

#12648 Posted by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

@papercut said:

@gunslingerpanda: Well according to wikipedia, the cover athlete this year is The Rock. You know, the guy that lost at Mania and we haven't seen since.

Mr. I'm never going away really guys Im here to stay! I don't know how people who watch WWE even if they aren't smarks like all of us can't be offended by the rock just randomly showing up when he wants after he makes stupid promises like that.

#12649 Posted by Signus (24 posts) -

I'm not offended that the Rock isn't around, it's not like anyone should have expected him to be. There's no way the WWE can match the money he makes filming movies, so he can only show up when his schedule is clear or whatever. Plus he was injured at Wrestlemania, so he might not be showing up for a while.

Anyway, it's probably for the best he's a part-timer, if he has to show up at all. The Rock is still good in small spurts, but he's clearly not the man in the ring that he was 13 years ago (and even then he was more or less the prototype to what Cena is now, just more entertaining). I'd be pretty sick of him if he was on Raw every night, I think. Right now, it's not so bad except for the fact that he's taking away the Wrestlemania main event whenever he's in the show.

#12650 Posted by DrX25 (1534 posts) -

WWE Games' Twitter accounts are basically saying that the first WWE 2K14 trailer is going to debut on Raw tonight.