This topic is locked from further discussion.

#12651 Posted by WilliamHenry (1205 posts) -

@papercut said:

@gunslingerpanda: Well according to wikipedia, the cover athlete this year is The Rock. You know, the guy that lost at Mania and we haven't seen since.

Mr. I'm never going away really guys Im here to stay! I don't know how people who watch WWE even if they aren't smarks like all of us can't be offended by the rock just randomly showing up when he wants after he makes stupid promises like that.

I don't understand why people still get upset over that comment. I don't know why anyone took it literally. He never meant he would be there every week. I honestly can't believe anyone ever expected him to. All that comment meant was that he wasn't going to ever turn his back on the fans or shy away from WWE like he had been in years prior. I would think that with everything The Rock has done in and out of the ring, he has earned the right to appear when he wants to. Does anyone get upset that Undertaker basically works the same schedule as The Rock?

#12652 Edited by Milkman (17171 posts) -
#12653 Edited by DrX25 (1547 posts) -

You know that 1-800-FELLA skit from last week, well they made another one of those:

This better lead to a multiple Sheamus gimmick.

#12655 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Man, that WWE2K14 looks kind of rough.

#12656 Posted by Milkman (17171 posts) -

Here's what WWE does, if they're smart. (They're not so they won't but...)

• Daniel Bryan wins Money in the Bank.
  • Mark Henry beats John Cena at MITB to give him one last run as WWE champion.
  • Daniel Bryan cashes in at SummerSlam in a straight up match. Daniel Bryan wins the WWE Championship.

It would be so easy and everyone gets what they want. Cena loses a title that he doesn't need at all, Henry gets one last reward for his service and the Summer of YES! is fully realized.

#12657 Edited by Hadoken101 (844 posts) -

So what's up with the MitB match being seemingly entirely filled with faces this year?

#12658 Edited by TurboMan (7679 posts) -
  • Orton might turn heel someday... before that happens, he needs to start letting other people go over him. Bryan using the kendo stick + The No Lock was great. Summer of YES! is going swimmingly well.
  • Bray Wyatt will debut.... someday.
  • Ziggler tweening it up is interesting, I guess it'll be a journey before other faces accept him.
  • Mark Henry and John Cena both coming out to give standard promos is a good way to waste a week's worth of build up in favor of adding some lines to the video package.
  • Man, all this McMahon business is going nowhere.
  • Jericho vs. Ryback came out of nowhere as well. This was originally a WrestleMania match until Jericho was paired with Fandango instead.
  • The Rock being on the cover is dumb, also, the game itself looks dumb.
  • All Faces in the WWE MITB is kind of bizarre. I don't think that Mark Henry will win the WWE championship from John Cena, so it means we're in for a Face vs. Face match at SummerSlam no matter what (unless plans change). Looking from the participants, it almost guarantees Bryan winning the match.
  1. CM Punk is going to SummerSlam against Brock Lesnar
  2. Christian just came back/definitely isn't going to win
  3. RVD is just coming back/definitely isn't going to win
  4. Kane definitely isn't going to win
  5. Randy Orton could be the winner, but probably isn't
  6. Sheamus could be the winner, but probably isn't
  • In fact, we've heard that Orton was supposed to turn heel against Sheamus and start a feud there, so this could be the match that sets that off
  • CM Punk/Curtis Axel could be a bit of fun until the eventual backstab

-----

Also, ROH had a big announcement just now. They had technical problems once again at last weekend's Best In The World iPPV. In order to fix the streaming issues, they decided to go through the "ah, fuck it" route and are now only going to air iPPV's on delay.

To our fans,

This past weekend at “Best in the World” in Baltimore, MD , Ring of Honor proved once again from top to bottom why our talent is truly the best in wrestling today. Unfortunately, there were some issues with the live iPPV stream that wound up distracting from the energy and action in ring. For this, we sincerely apologize to all fans that encountered problems.

Because of how much we value the support of our fans, and understand the imperfections of the live streaming technology, “Best in the World” will be the last iPPV stream that we will be broadcasting live. All future main event shows will now be offered as a Video On Demand, which will allow Ring of Honor to present a flawless show and truly depict the excellence of our product.

From now on, fans can watch ROH Wrestling on TV, VOD, or DVD, however there is still nothing like seeing Ring of Honor in person. We thank you for your continued support and are excited to be moving forward.

-Ring of Honor Wrestling

#12659 Edited by DoesitOffendYou_Yeah (137 posts) -

So what was with the Prime Time Players being exempt from the Tag Title Contenders match and instead used in the Punk thing? Didn't know what to make of that.

Oh, and does this mean they're reverting to having just one ladder match, like they did with Hell in a Cell this year? There's mid-card guys like Cesaro, Barrett, Sandow, Rhodes, Fandango+Swagger should they return? Miz, Sin Cara, R-Truth.. so many guys that would usually populate a MITB match. Granted, a lot of these are heels.

I was hoping maybe a World Title ladder match would be announced on Smackdown, but Jericho v Ryback being announced makes me wonder..

Besides Daniel Bryan and maybe Christian, the current MITB match has too many established top-tier guys. That's not what the match is about, in my opinion. So hopefully there'll be a second one.

#12660 Posted by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

Hey not to be a downer speaking of ROH, but I'm wondering exactly how indie wrestling leagues stay remotely profitable, or give liveable wages to their contractors? First of all, ECW had TV deals, and WWF backing it up, but it still managed to go bankrupt with Heyman owing his guys tons of money. Ring of Honor has a good TV deal, so likely they pay their guys more than the $20 per night you hear about in shoots guys like Mick Foley do about breaking into the business. Now, Wikipedia says Chikara, for instance, drew crowds over 800 for its equivalent of wrestlemania/starcade, but YouTube footage shows the typical crowd of a gymnasium of about 100 people. Same for CZW, PWG, even ROH TV tapings have around that number. (Even if more people wanted to be there, either parking must be an issue or having to lease a bigger, more expensive venue.) I don't know what tickets to indies cost, but it mustn't be too expensive as to turn people off. I imagine like $15-30. And wrestlers certainly sell 8x10s, and maybe get a good cut of PPV and video sales, maybe enough for a young kid trying to launch his career to live off of. It's when I hear of famous Japanese wrestlers being booked, or major former WWE stars like Xpac being booked, that I wonder how they're profitable as companies, or how low Xpac has sunk to take a $20/night salary. If Xpac gets a reasonable $1,000 per booking, at $20 per ticket, 50 fans out of the 100 in the gym paid just for him. The other 50 paid for the lease, ring crew, CEO's profits, insurance and taxes, and dozen other wrestlers salaries. It just doesn't seem possible.

#12661 Posted by Demoskinos (15090 posts) -

So apparently Dolph Ziggler did the local weather on a South Carolina news station? AJ Lee just tweeted this out.

#12662 Edited by MildMolasses (3226 posts) -

Hey not to be a downer speaking of ROH, but I'm wondering exactly how indie wrestling leagues stay remotely profitable, or give liveable wages to their contractors? First of all, ECW had TV deals, and WWF backing it up, but it still managed to go bankrupt with Heyman owing his guys tons of money. Ring of Honor has a good TV deal, so likely they pay their guys more than the $20 per night you hear about in shoots guys like Mick Foley do about breaking into the business. Now, Wikipedia says Chikara, for instance, drew crowds over 800 for its equivalent of wrestlemania/starcade, but YouTube footage shows the typical crowd of a gymnasium of about 100 people. Same for CZW, PWG, even ROH TV tapings have around that number. (Even if more people wanted to be there, either parking must be an issue or having to lease a bigger, more expensive venue.) I don't know what tickets to indies cost, but it mustn't be too expensive as to turn people off. I imagine like $15-30. And wrestlers certainly sell 8x10s, and maybe get a good cut of PPV and video sales, maybe enough for a young kid trying to launch his career to live off of. It's when I hear of famous Japanese wrestlers being booked, or major former WWE stars like Xpac being booked, that I wonder how they're profitable as companies, or how low Xpac has sunk to take a $20/night salary. If Xpac gets a reasonable $1,000 per booking, at $20 per ticket, 50 fans out of the 100 in the gym paid just for him. The other 50 paid for the lease, ring crew, CEO's profits, insurance and taxes, and dozen other wrestlers salaries. It just doesn't seem possible.

I assume for wrestlers it's a lot like being in a band. When you start out, you play shitty little venues and make almost nothing, but you do it for the practice and to hopefully build up a an audience. Eventually you make extra money by selling merch and autographs, etc. The promoters still probably won't pay you very much, but at least you have an opportunity to pull in some extra income.

Also keep in mind that a lot of these indies don't run many shows, so they don't need to have a constant in/out stream of money. Take House of Hardcore. They just did their second show, but they were probably able to get the money together through dvd sales of the first show. I'm sure there's also sponsorships that can be obtained from wrestling sites or video producers as well. Bottom line is no one is going to get rich from it, but it's certainly feasible to put together a show with some lesser known talent and a couple of names every few months and a least make a little off of it

#12663 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2273 posts) -

@turboman said:

-----

Also, ROH had a big announcement just now. They had technical problems once again at last weekend's Best In The World iPPV. In order to fix the streaming issues, they decided to go through the "ah, fuck it" route and are now only going to air iPPV's on delay.

To our fans,

This past weekend at “Best in the World” in Baltimore, MD , Ring of Honor proved once again from top to bottom why our talent is truly the best in wrestling today. Unfortunately, there were some issues with the live iPPV stream that wound up distracting from the energy and action in ring. For this, we sincerely apologize to all fans that encountered problems.

Because of how much we value the support of our fans, and understand the imperfections of the live streaming technology, “Best in the World” will be the last iPPV stream that we will be broadcasting live. All future main event shows will now be offered as a Video On Demand, which will allow Ring of Honor to present a flawless show and truly depict the excellence of our product.

From now on, fans can watch ROH Wrestling on TV, VOD, or DVD, however there is still nothing like seeing Ring of Honor in person. We thank you for your continued support and are excited to be moving forward.

-Ring of Honor Wrestling

That's a joke, plenty of companies have managed live iPPVs.

#12664 Posted by Milkman (17171 posts) -

@gorillamopena: "That's a joke" is pretty good reaction to just about everything ROH has done in the last five years or so. There was once a time when I would never miss a ROH show. I didn't even know there was iPPV last weekend.

#12665 Posted by MjHealy (1863 posts) -

Am I the only one who finds it strange that the WWE Title MiTB Match is filled up with only faces (barring any Orton heel turn/Devil RVD)?

#12666 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

Watching Raw and I just noticed something huge; something MAJOR.

CM Punk took his lip piercing out. This makes me sad; us lip-pierced-bros need a figurehead for our global movement.

Ugh, they really need to just fire the commentary team. Talking about tennis during the Punk-Young match? They should take them all off and put Matt Stri- Oh, nevermind.

#12667 Posted by TurboMan (7679 posts) -

Swagger was found guilty of the DUI charge filed against him, resulting in 90 days probation and a measly $500 charge. No jail time and the possession of marijuana charge was dropped.

So Swagger isn't completely doomed.

#12668 Edited by papercut (3527 posts) -

@gunslingerpanda: yea I noticed it was out at Payback. I was always surprised he would risk wrestling with that in but now that it's gone it just looks weird.

@turboman: With Zeb managing Cesaro now (where were they last night?) I'd say Swaggers overall future looks pretty bleak.

#12669 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2273 posts) -

@turboman said:

Swagger was found guilty of the DUI charge filed against him, resulting in 90 days probation and a measly $500 charge. No jail time and the possession of marijuana charge was dropped.

I think he has also been out with a hand injury.

#12670 Posted by DrX25 (1547 posts) -

@turboman said:

Yes, the real reason that Swagger hasn't been on TV is that he just had surgery on his hand and won't be back until August.

As for the MitB being all faces, I think it's mostly because the only "main event" heels that are in WWE (and not the World Champion) are Brock (Isn't working MitB), Mark Henry (WWE Title match), Ryback (Doesn't have a prayer of winning, so they're protecting him with a match with Jericho) and The Shield (Rollins/Reigns are defending their titles and I guess they want to protect Ambrose from a possible loss or put him in the World Title MitB).

As for there only being on MitB, the wording they used to talk about the WWE Title one makes it possible that there could be a second, but doesn't guarantee it. And for the participants, I guess Miz, Sin Cara, Barrett, Axel, Rhodes, Sandow, Ambrose and Cesaro? Yeah, that one seems a bit weak and would be painfully obvious as to who would win.

#12671 Posted by Demoskinos (15090 posts) -

@turboman said:

He nearly got the WHC handed to him and he just had to go and fuck it up. Christ. And the whole gimmick with Zeb was amazing. Oh well lets hope Cesaro benefits from Zeb being in his corner.

#12672 Posted by Milkman (17171 posts) -

Our first Chikara development in a few weeks is this cryptic blog post. It's not much but hey....please come back soon. :(

Life is messy, inconsistent, and it's seldom when anything ever really gets resolved.

#12673 Posted by DrX25 (1547 posts) -

Summerslam poster:

#12674 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Holy shit, that SS poster is all kinds of amazing. Mainly for Daniel Bryan.

#12675 Posted by TurboMan (7679 posts) -

@drx25: ... The tracks don't match with the coaster at all. Nobody is strapped into the coaster. You can't get your shoulder behind others when riding a coaster. Why are the Bella Twins on the poster?

#12676 Posted by lord_canti (1518 posts) -

It looks like Kane finally got to Disney land.

@turboman: I think its because of that e!show, which may lead to a title shot by summerslam

#12677 Edited by Demoskinos (15090 posts) -

Holy shit! Punk holding the Stanley Cup!

#12678 Posted by Demoskinos (15090 posts) -

#12679 Posted by papercut (3527 posts) -

I have a feeling that poster may be photoshopped.

Just a little.

#12680 Edited by TurboMan (7679 posts) -
#12681 Edited by DrX25 (1547 posts) -

Main Event Spoilers:

- The announcers were Josh and Miz.

- Chris Jericho defeated Cody Rhodes with the Walls of Jericho.

- Zeb Colter and Antonio Cesaro cut a promo on Cesaro being more of an American than 95% of natural born Americans.

- Christian defeated Dean Ambrose by DQ when Seth Rollins attacked Christian. Shield were beating down Christian when The Usos made the save.

- The Primetime Players defeated Tons of Funk.

UPDATED Smackdown Cliffsnotes:

- Sheamus defeated Damien Sandow in a Dublin Street Fight.

- There was possibly a Vince segment here.

- MizTV with Paul Heyman happened. Curtis Axel beat up Miz to end the segment. Said to be very long (12 minutes).

- Natalya defeated AJ Lee when Kaitlyn came out dressed as AJ to distract her. Kaitlyn then speared AJ to end the segment.

-Teddy Long was with Vince backstage they announced that the World Title Money in the Bank participants were: Dean Ambrose, Wade Barrett, Antonio Cesaro, Fandango, Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow and Jack Swagger. Vince and Teddy did the Fandango pronunciation thing to end the segment.

- Randy Orton defeated Kane with the RKO. Daniel Bryan was on commentary.

- Ryback squashed Justin Gabriel. After the match Jericho ran out, brawled with Ryback (who ran away) and then nicknamed him Cryback.

- Christian and The Usos defeated The Shield when Christian pinned Dean Ambrose.

- Alberto Del Rio did his fiesta. Dolph Ziggler ran out threw Ricardo into a bowl of salsa, went to attack Del Rio with a guitar, but he escaped, so he hit Ricardo with it instead. Ziggler danced with the band and balloons were released to end the show.

Also, anyone having major problems posting here?

#12682 Posted by Demoskinos (15090 posts) -

@drx25: Oh my god that last segment spoilers for smackdown is amazing.

#12683 Edited by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

So there goes the Shield being a legit threat, right?

#12684 Posted by Milkman (17171 posts) -

A few things:

Could that SummerSlam poster be anymore lazy? I don't know who does these graphic designs for WWE but between that and the WWE 2K14 cover, they need someone new. (I know that's probably not the same person.)

Christian and The Usos defeated The Shield when Christian pinned Dean Ambrose.

You have to be fucking kidding me with that shit...

The World Heavyweight MITB sounds pretty interesting. I legitimately have no idea who would win that.

I feel like the only thing Ziggler has done for the last three weeks has been "come sprinting out of the back and attack Del Rio."

#12685 Posted by TurboMan (7679 posts) -

The hits keep on coming for ROH. Mark and Jay Briscoe are now free agents.

I REPEAT: MARK AND JAY BRISCOE ARE NOW FREE AGENTS.

from PWInsider:

As of today (June 25, 2013), Jay & Mark Briscoe are no longer under contract with Ring Of Honor. Jay Briscoe is still currently the company’s World Champion.

PWTorch is exclusively reporting that ROH’s parent company, the Sinclair Broadcasting Group, only recently became aware of Jay Briscoe’s controversial Twitter comments made in early May when he wrote that he would “shoot any teacher who teaches his kids about same-sex marriage”. ROH quickly went into damage control mode including deleting his Twitter account, having Jay make a public apology and donate his paycheck to an equal rights charity.

Apparently this wasn’t enough. Jay & Mark’s contracts expired and there are no plans to renew them despite Jay Briscoe being the ROH Champion. At the most recent television taping, both Briscoes were written off of television with injury angles. No statement has been made yet on what the status of the World Championship is.

ROH continues to dig that hole a little bit deeper. The iPPV debacle is a mess, and probably one that's fixable if they spent time on it (if DG and Chikara can provide iPPV's, then a company owned by a TV company should be able to as well). This is a whole other level of stupidity.

1. Jay Briscoe is your champion.
  2. The Briscoe Brothers were extremely loyal to the company. They've been there since day one.
  3. The Briscoe Brothers are one of the best tag teams in the industry.
  4. Jay has already apologized and has done enough to earn forgiveness.

WWE and TNA would be stupid not to pick these guys up. They are a license to print money as a team.

#12686 Edited by Milkman (17171 posts) -

@turboman: Unreal. It's one thing to lose the Briscoes and I can understand why Sinclair wouldn't want their contracts to not be renewed. But it's a completely other thing to lose Jay WHILE HE IS YOUR WORLD CHAMPION. Though I guess your champ wrestling for a different company is still more prestigious than having Matt Hardy win it.

#12687 Posted by papercut (3527 posts) -

@turboman: Wow. ROH what are you doing.

Jumping to conclusions, I would LOVE to see the Briscoes on WWE, but the mouths on them man...I get nervous when they show up to Chikara shows for what they might say. I can't imagine what kinda of trouble they could get in on WWE television.

I remember Punk a while back comparing the Briscoes to the Diaz brothers in UFC. Nick and Nate Diaz are some of the most talented athletes in MMA, but in terms of acting like professionals in a public setting, they always find a way to put their jobs in jeopardy with something they say. I could easily see Mark and Jay slipping up so easy in WWE. Another slip up on Jays twitter or, god forbid, swearing on national television and things will be over before they start.

...That being said...Briscoes and Bray Wyatt could be preeeeeetty cool.

#12688 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

It's been rumoured for ages that the Briscoes had been offered developmental deals, hasn't it?

Jeez I hope they bring them in and make them gay lovers or something, pull a full Brodus Clay on them.

Great wrestlers and great promos, but they need to be taught a few things about how to behave in the modern world if they want to crack the big time.

#12689 Edited by Tajasaurus (932 posts) -

@turboman: That is insane. I wish RoH could just travel back in time and exist in 2004/5 forever

I hope there are kids all over the world having nightmares about the Wyatt Family. If there was ever anything legitimately creepier in wrestling I don't know it.

#12690 Posted by MildMolasses (3226 posts) -

@turboman said:

There's not much they can do with him. He can't tour because a lot of countries won't let him in, so there goes any chance of a major push

#12691 Posted by TurboMan (7679 posts) -

Thoughts on World Title MITB:

• While Ambrose might have the most momentum, there's no way he's going to get a briefcase this early on.
  • Barrett is the top contender in my eyes. I think he was supposed to be the winner last year until he was forced out with an arm injury.
  • No chance Fandango wins it.
  • Cesaro is getting a push right now, but I don't think that he is in the running for getting the briefcase.
  • Rhodes and Sandow are both jokes right now.... I could see Rhodes somehow winning the match though.
  • Swagger could also win it to force him back into the picture, but he's probably getting de-pushed.
#12692 Posted by papercut (3527 posts) -

Looks like holding the Stanley Cup wasn't the only victory Punker got out of the Blackhawks victory.

Suck it Boston.

#12693 Posted by Kazzenn (129 posts) -

I can't see the Briscoes getting into WWE after those tweets Jay made.

#12694 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Man ROH, what in all the fucks?

#12695 Edited by MildMolasses (3226 posts) -

Anybody got a comprehensive list of wrestlers who were champs when their contracts ran out?

• Jeff Jarrett IC Champ
  • RVD TNA champ
  • Devon TNA TV champ
  • Bobby Roode TNA tag champ
#12696 Edited by DrX25 (1547 posts) -

So remember that Wrestling Retribution thing from a couple of years ago?

Well, Jeff Katz (WCW.com writer turned big time Hollywood producer and friend of one Gary Whitta) just put out an update about it saying that the entire season should be out in the fall and has put out a free preview match (use the password whattooksolongkatz to view the video). He also said that he would honor all Kickstarter backer rewards as well as refunding everyone that gave money on the project.

#12697 Posted by Milkman (17171 posts) -

@mildmolasses: This is actually the second time in the last year that this has happened to ROH. Kenny King was one half of the tag champions when his contract expired and he jumped ship to TNA. They've clearly really on top of this stuff.

#12698 Posted by TurboMan (7679 posts) -

Anybody got a comprehensive list of wrestlers who were champs when their contracts ran out?

• Jeff Jarrett IC Champ
  • RVD TNA champ
  • Devon TNA TV champ
  • Bobby Roode TNA tag champ

gee, if only there were some kind of Wrestling Wiki where a page was devoted to "Wrestlers who left the company a champion"... kinda like a concept page on Giant Bomb.

#12699 Posted by TurboMan (7679 posts) -

@drx25: Probably explains why it never got picked up.

• The sound is way off. The crowd noise is really drowned out. I love listening to Nigel McGuinness, but not like that. Also I'm guessing that the commentary wasn't recorded live with the action... it just seems off.
  • Names are dumb. I'm not going to associate people like Kenny Omega with any other name besides Kenny Omega, and that's how I feel about most of the roster. Chris Hero is the only exception because he's Kassius Ohno now, but at least I understand why for WWE wrestlers.
  • This was shot somewhere in California I'm guessing because I see Rick Knox is one of the referees. I question why all the Kickstarter money wasn't just dumped into PWG since they clearly have something going over there.
  • Battle Royals suck. There isn't one memorable battle royal in the history of time.
#12700 Posted by Roomrunner (876 posts) -

Now Zachary Ryder has a 1-800 campaign too.

Who the hell in 2013 is calling 1-800 numbers? Some Internet champion.