• 78 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

Somehow two photos of the iPad Mini were leaked today. Just a day before Apple's Media Event which is tomorrow.

Your thoughts?

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (12403 posts) -

...so, it's an iPhone then?

#4 Posted by cmblasko (1343 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten: Look to be at least double the size of an iPod Touch. Don't know what demand there is for such a device, but hey, it's Apple. I'm sure they know what they are doing.

#5 Posted by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

Please, please tell me this is a goof or a hoax.

#6 Posted by Blackout62 (1405 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

@GenocidalKitten: Look to be at least double the size of an iPod Touch. Don't know what demand there is for such a device, but hey, it's Apple. I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Well some days ladies don't need full coverage, and I am ashamed no one has kept this joke going with this product.

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Makes sense. I've held Ipad's before and wished that they were smaller.

#8 Posted by cmblasko (1343 posts) -

@Blackout62: On that note, I still think that iTab is a cooler name than iPad.

#9 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

Why would anyone want an iPad Min? Isn't that just a slightly bigger iPod Touch?

Theres people who were annoyed by the size of the iPad. Now Apple made it smaller for them as you can see

Nothing official till now though. Tomorrow is Apple's Media Event and everything will be clear

#10 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

The first picture looks fake to me. The screen looks like it's just a picture and not an actual screen.

#11 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

Looks like it's aimed to directly compete with the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7. If they can sell that thing for under 300 bucks it will make a killing.

#12 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

a 7" ipad... why not?

#13 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@msavo said:

The first picture looks fake to me. The screen looks like it's just a picture and not an actual screen.

It's probably just concept footage. The iOS interface isn't going to change. All they did was resize the screen and the device. That's not that hard.

#14 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

Why would anyone want an iPad Min? Isn't that just a slightly bigger iPod Touch?

Not really because the screen size still makes it infinitely more usable than an iPod Touch is for web browsing and reading on.

#15 Edited by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

@Napalm: Yeah you could be right but then again after the years of fake leaks with Apple products I'm a bit skeptical until I see the official announcement at the keynotes. I mean there is tons of bullshit with leaks for E3 keynotes but with Apple products it's on another level.

#16 Posted by wrecks (2318 posts) -

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

#17 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@msavo said:

@Napalm: Yeah you could be right but then again after the years of fake leaks with Apple products I'm a bit skeptical until I see the official announcement at the keynotes. I mean there is tons of bullshit with leaks for E3 keynotes but with Apple products it's on another level,

it does show a Youtube and Map app which will be removed from iOS6 and you would imagine that it is running iOS6 so i'd say fake.

#18 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Shookems said:

Looks like it's aimed to directly compete with the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7. If they can sell that thing for under 300 bucks it will make a killing.

To which then, the next iteration of the iPod Touch better be well under that price.

#19 Posted by Grilledcheez (3957 posts) -

Seems like an Apple product...SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT THEY ALREADY SELL.

#20 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahaha.

#21 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

It doesn't look that 'mini' to me.

#22 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

It doesn't look that 'mini' to me.

It looks Mini if you will compare it with the previous ones mate

#23 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

Why would anyone want an iPad Min? Isn't that just a slightly bigger iPod Touch?

Some people like the Nexus 7 for it's shape. I can't really comment on it other than that I think the current iPad is a bit too heavy to hold with one hand.

If this "ipad mini" is priced competitively (below $300) I would consider it against the Nexus 7 (I'm planning on picking one up once they're out here in Sweden) But I think it will probably end up being priced 2-3 times more than that.

#24 Posted by Daiphyer (1351 posts) -

@wrecks said:

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

No, this seems like a thing Steve Jobs would actually do. He is probably in his grave going, "You motherfuckers! Why didn't I think of that?!"

#25 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

That guy has really large hands.

#26 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Daiphyer said:

@wrecks said:

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

No, this seems like a thing Steve Jobs would actually do. He is probably in his grave going, "You motherfuckers! Why didn't I think of that?!"

This is probably the 7" form-factor which Jobs mocked and didn't consider viable for the iPad.

Probably because a few years ago that size wasn't viable at all.

#27 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Apostrophe.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

@GenocidalKitten: Look to be at least double the size of an iPod Touch. Don't know what demand there is for such a device, but hey, it's Apple. I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Look at the Google Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD, which are both doing extremely well and Apple isn't even a competitor in that market.

There is huge demand for smaller/cheaper tablets. The problem is, I don't see Apple selling this for anywhere near what Amazon and Google are charging and the price is the biggest appeal of those devices.

#29 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

@iGooner7 said:

@JasonR86 said:

It doesn't look that 'mini' to me.

It looks Mini if you will compare it with the previous ones mate

Eh.

#30 Posted by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

Makes sense.

#31 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3245 posts) -

I think it's a weird new thing to introduce, but it looks kinda like a Kindle Fire now.

#32 Posted by CableCarrier (58 posts) -

@Apparatus_Unearth said:

I think it's a weird new thing to introduce, but it looks kinda like a Kindle Fire now.

If it ends up just being a cheaper, Kindle Fire-sized iPad, that'd probably be enough for me to buy it. I like my Fire and everything, but I'd also like to have a device with some decent app support.

#33 Posted by DougQuaid (1275 posts) -

@Grilledcheez said:

Seems like an Apple product...SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT THEY ALREADY SELL.

#34 Posted by Bollard (5836 posts) -

@msavo said:

The first picture looks fake to me. The screen looks like it's just a picture and not an actual screen.

This, so fake.

#35 Edited by Zaccheus (1805 posts) -

Macrumors call it a physical mockup, they won't announce an iPad Mini tomorrow. Why would they announce a new iPhone and a new iPad at the same time? That wouldn't make any sense.

#36 Posted by wewantsthering (1593 posts) -

I'm not sure why everyone finds this so strange. It will be about the same price/size as the Kindle Fire HD 8.9". Here's an actual article talking about the pictures.

#37 Posted by Splodge (1928 posts) -

I don't own an iPad, but was thinking of getting one. If this is considerably cheaper, I might get it. If it is stupidly expensive, Ill just go back to tickling the neighbourhood cats and eating leaves.

#38 Posted by Sanj (2537 posts) -

I've seen this before. No, not the product, I mean the initial cynicism of a new iProduct followed by the unrivalled success of said iProduct when it's released.

#39 Posted by SSully (4316 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@rebgav said:

@Daiphyer said:

@wrecks said:

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

No, this seems like a thing Steve Jobs would actually do. He is probably in his grave going, "You motherfuckers! Why didn't I think of that?!"

This is probably the 7" form-factor which Jobs mocked and didn't consider viable for the iPad.

Probably because a few years ago that size wasn't viable at all.

It was though. The samsung vs apple suit gave a lot of insight into apples production process, including how they tested multiple ipad sizes, including one simliar to this. Also there were tablets out around the time the ipad originally came out that were 7 inches or so. This is purely apple cutting into the lower priced tablet market because they realized that there are a lot of people out there who want smaller tablets, and tablets that are cheaper.

#40 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4607 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@iGooner7 said:

@JasonR86 said:

It doesn't look that 'mini' to me.

It looks Mini if you will compare it with the previous ones mate

Eh.

This is more or less how the conversation went with my previous girlfriend.

#41 Posted by avidwriter (665 posts) -

It'll come down to price. If it's half the price of an iPad it'll sell like hotcakes.

#42 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Oh finally Apple made a phone to match the size of your average Android.

#43 Posted by SASnake (373 posts) -

yay! Yet another Apple product! That like other Apple products, will have a better model 4 months down the line!

#44 Posted by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

Faque

#45 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Shookems said:

Looks like it's aimed to directly compete with the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7. If they can sell that thing for under 300 bucks it will make a killing.

To which then, the next iteration of the iPod Touch better be well under that price.

Do you think there will be a next iteration of the iPod Touch? I'm skeptical. Last iteration they upgraded iPhones' hardware but updated the iPod Touch's... colour.

#46 Posted by PillClinton (3295 posts) -

Well, I still want a Nexus 7, so...

If I had cash to burn, though, I'd still probably just buy a regular iPad.

#47 Edited by MachoFantastico (4889 posts) -

iOS doesn't do it for me when it comes to tablets, Apple would need to make more drastic changes to iOS for me to be interested. Works great on phones but I want more options on a tablet. Happy with my Nexus 7!

I'm sure Gary Whitta's already eager to pre-order :)

Online
#48 Posted by ShaggE (6698 posts) -

Can't wait for the iPhone XXL.

Online
#49 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

I'm guessing this is their direct Kindle Fire competitor.

#50 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Wait, why did the ipad need to be smaller? I already found tablets to be in a kind of uncomfortable spot between phones and laptops, but this is just silly.