Avatar image for brandoncooper17
brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By brandoncooper17

Leaked U.S. documents deal with with Canada's supposed 'inferiority complex' and a view of leaders around the world.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/1221258968/ID=1672889468

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By lazyturtle

Did you see that the Dept. of Homeland Security wants Wikileaks to be listed as a terrorist organization so he can seize all assets and arrest all contributors?  

We could do that..or you know..protect our secret documents with some sort of...I don't know..Department of Homeland Security...

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lazyturtle

Did you see that the Dept. of Homeland Security wants Wikileaks to be listed as a terrorist organization so he can seize all assets and arrest all contributors?  

We could do that..or you know..protect our secret documents with some sort of...I don't know..department  that manages issues related to homeland security...

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aus_azn

These people should be prosecuted/imprisoned. National security is at stake.

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Liono88

Fuck the Governments rights. The USA infringes on it's citizens rights, payback is a bitch. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

Thumb drives are a sumbitch. I had to watch like 5 powerpoints on thumb drives cus of this fucker. Soon I'll have 2 gate checks, a card reader, a passcode, and a patdown just to get to work. I draw the line at the first 4. Annoying.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Levio

Yeaaahhhhh take that Robama.  Power to the people!  Down with government!!!

Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OppressiveStink
@lazyturtle:@Liono88: 
We need things like this to keep our government honest.  If you look through history, it's filled with people finding out wrongs that the government does and bring them to light.  Without people like this, we wouldn't know about the Tuskegee Experiments, The Iran-Contra scandal, Watergate, Extraordinary Rendition, Waterboarding, Abuse of prisoners, abuses of the patriot act.

Like it or not, it's organizations like these that keep us from being the real totalitarian state that 1984 warned us about.  I will not be part of the United States of Eurasia.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

How do the people at Wiki leaks get there hands on the information they obtain?

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Gabriel

LOL ragging on Canada.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coryrx8

Wow, talk about overreacting. Is Wikileaks a national security risk? Yes. Are they a terrorist organization? Heck no. Surely someone in the Department of Homeland Security can both afford a dictionary and alphabetize well enough to look up the words "terrorist" and "terror."

I really hope that someone with some stones puts a stop to this nonsense. The Department of Homeland Security has gotten out of hand.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Joker369

Why doesn't the government just shut down wiki leaks?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho
@Bucketdeth said:
" How do the people at Wiki leaks get there hands on the information they obtain? "
You should think of wikileaks more like a torrent hub. They provide a conduit for leaked info, the leaked info comes from lone wolves and various anonymous sources.  Its not a network of spies who infiltrated various levels of power to add to the site. People become aware of what wikileaks does and provide them with things. More than a couple of moles are in custody. The founder Julian Assange is the proverbial "head of the snake", problem is in a post internet world there is no "head of the snake". You don't put one guy in jail and think wikileaks goes away. That domain might go away, but wikileaks the idea can't be killed as long as people think its a good thing. I personally don't see what it does to help anyone but whatever.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho
@Gabriel said:
" LOL ragging on Canada. "
As for this, well, nobody on earth gives a damn about that part of the story other than Canada. Its one of the least significant parts of the leak. So a bunch of Canadian organizations covering it, hmm, kinda seems like there might be a bit of narcissism going on.
27thRed_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 27thRed_Martyr

We shouldn't take down Wiki Leaks, i just think they should reveal less and don't reveal things that will endanger peoples lives or cause wars.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Turambar
@Bucketdeth said:
" How do the people at Wiki leaks get there hands on the information they obtain? "
In this specific case, the suspect is an intelligence officer working in the Pentagon.
JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoeyIA
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond
@Bucketdeth said:
It's actually a US propaganda operation.  Iran says so.
DaManGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By DaManGB

I feel like listening to some Rage against the Machine right  now.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By crusader8463

Won't change anything sadly.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By niamahai

the guy @ Wikileaks is a cunt.
i hope hillarity clinton cuts off his balls and stuff it in her cunt for the lulz. 

<--- learned to cuss from Vinny  "Cunt" Caravella

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RsistncE
@Bucketdeth said:

A private in military intelligence was arrested under the suspicion that he was the source of the leaks. Realistically though I can't see how just one person could leak over 250,000 diplomatic documents and previously also be able to leak nearly 400,000 reports on Iraq. Sounds to me like the US has a bigger problem with government workers deciding they've had enough with the lying and deceit. 

@Aus_azn said:

" These people should be prosecuted/imprisoned. National security is at stake. "

Actually I think the lying hack politicians that this diplomatic leak exposes should be imprisoned. Some of the rhetoric coming out of the US and other governments around the world after this leak is just downright hilarious. 

“It is an attack on the international community, the alliances and partnerships, the conversations and negotiations that safeguard global security and advance economic prosperity,” an exasperated Hillary Clinton said.    

No, it's not an attack, you dumb bitch. What is an attack is what the documents expose: your own inability to trust your allies and other countries from around the world. How dense would people have to be to buy this bullshit statement? 

@Diamond said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
It's actually a US propaganda operation.  Iran says so. "
Which is understandable to some extent considering another nuclear physicist was murdered today, more than likely by the Mossad. That kind of paranoia can get to anyone if you're harassed enough.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lazyturtle
@Joker369: Because that would be unconstitutional. Now if they were declared a terrorist organization, that would be different. But in reality..is it possible to shut down something like that? I guess you can shut down the specific site..but won't a new one open up..like software piracy sites?

@Turambar
said: 
In this specific case, the suspect is an intelligence officer working in the Pentagon. "
I wonder how long before this person gets into..a..car accident. They happen all the time.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vodun
@27thRed_Martyr said:
" We shouldn't take down Wiki Leaks, i just think they should reveal less and don't reveal things that will endanger peoples lives or cause wars. "
+1 They demand others to take responsibility, they should do the same themselves. They're doing good work, but it shouldn't endanger people, like Iraqis helping coalition forces.
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Rockdalf
@lazyturtle said:
" @Joker369: Because that would be unconstitutional. Now if they were declared a terrorist organization, that would be different. But in reality..is it possible to shut down something like that? I guess you can shut down the specific site..but won't a new one open up..like software piracy sites?

@Turambar
said: 
In this specific case, the suspect is an intelligence officer working in the Pentagon. "
I wonder how long before this person gets into..a..car accident. They happen all the time. "
The last thing this website needs is a martyr for it's cause and if the person who is credited as the "head of the snake", as previously referred, mysteriously disappears, that would only give them more credit to their cause while not inhibiting them in the least.    

Besides, it would only be a moment of time before the document about the "car accident" leaked back into the hands of the website.  Then where would our government be. 

But seriously, in all that document, did we find out who really shot JFK?
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Bones8677
@Rockdalf said:

But seriously, in all that document, did we find out who really shot JFK? "

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Xeiphyer

Hooray for accidental transparency!

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By beej

From what I know about the leak (it isn't everything, iffin you feel that my opinion is in error I'm totally down to change it!) I'm going with oppressivestink on this one, I doubt that wiki leaks has materially harmed the united states to a very large degree. Has it harmed our public image? Yes, but that's a issue I'm ok with. Organizations like this help keep the government honest to an extent. More importantly the United States often does more to harm its own efforts than wiki leaks does.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By scarace360

Man what is with people hating on Canada. We havent done shit to anybody. Give us  a break.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Turambar

Lets just take a second and actually take a look at part of what the leaks say.  And no, I don't care about the Canada bit.  No one does.

The bit about Iran is arguably the most important part of this leak, followed by the document stating China would be accepting of a reunified Korea under the South Korean government.  These are documents that speaks about other Arabic nations urging the US to engage Iran more aggressively while trying to placate Iran themselves.  These are also documents coming from the Pentagon stating war with Iran would do more harm than good.  The result is essentially the embarrassment of some of the Arabic nations for sending two opposite messages to two different places as well as giving room for Iran to claim this is all just American propaganda and that it's still just Israel and the US that wants to keep Iran down.  This leak's immediate result has been further tension in the Middle East and we can only hope it stops at that.  (Though it is kind of funny how this pretty much sends a giant middle finger to anyone that does think any aggression Middle East is just some Jewish cabal seizing control of Washington.) 

I know that people really like it when documents that expose government secrets come out because everyone wants to know exactly what their government is dong, but what's in this leak is not the same as previous ones.  This doesn't expose some egregious crime committed by the government that's gonna get everyone in an uproar.  The biggest impact its had so far in fact is making the US government question its Post 9/11 implemented policy of various government branches sharing intelligence documents with each other (the reason why State Department intelligence files were available to someone in the Pentagon), and that would kind of suck for people that want more transparency.

Wikileaks isn't some group that seems to be leaking files for the betterment of world.  If this leaks sends any message, its that they have no central vision or purpose to what they want to do with the information they get their hands on at all.  And that makes them pretty dangerous.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By meteora

As much as I don't really like the idea of WikiLeaks releasing a bunch of information that may prove to be a security issue to government personnel (actually am a bit more worried about the military documents they released), I figure that it would be better if they kept on releasing information that is behind the scenes. There are certain information that is filtered out for the better (or isn't necessary to report), but there's a large number of information that is not revealed to the public (for whatever reason) and that doesn't keep the government honest. WikiLeaks is sort of becoming a new media on its own, free from any biased or speculation and almost untouchable by any government or political organization.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#34  Edited By alistercat

I don't think these leaks threaten national security as they would like you to believe, because they aren't releasing documents for the sake of exposing plans. These documents just reveal some very odd behaviour and inappropriate stances. Ideally we should aim for a world where documents like these don't need to be leaked, as opposed to shutting people down that expose them.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Turambar
@AlisterCat said:
" I don't think these leaks threaten national security as they would like you to believe, because they aren't releasing documents for the sake of exposing plans. These documents just reveal some very odd behaviour and inappropriate stances. Ideally we should aim for a world where documents like these don't need to be leaked, as opposed to shutting people down that expose them. "
Leaking internal documents where the US states its doubt on China's actual influence over North Korea doesn't threaten the stability of the peninsula at this exact point in time?
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Red12b
@Bones8677 said:
" @Rockdalf said:

But seriously, in all that document, did we find out who really shot JFK? "

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
"
WTF is the the top picture from?  

Also, I find it funny Obama wanted more transparency in washington. 

Well...he's got it now, be careful what you wish for ae? 
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Red12b
@Meltbrain said:

" @Aus_azn said:

" These people should be prosecuted/imprisoned. National security is at stake. "

Rubbish. "
 Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and will lose both.    
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ninjakiller
@Aus_azn said:
Sad.  Documents that actually reveal the inner workings of our government and pull back the facade of bullshit they pump out every day and your first instinct is  "Durr get them sons of bitches, that hurt out poor wittle government."
ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShockD

Capitalism yeehoo!

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Yanngc33
@brandoncooper17:
the best one is about Iran and how their ego is to huge to become a democraty good stuff ! 
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pinworm45

Can't wait until Thursday to hear what the US thinks of us in Canada. 

Also, to the people buying the bullshit "national security risk" line: 

Wikileaks contacted the US Department of Defense and asked them if they'd like to go over the documents they had, and pick any that presented any risk to anyones security and they would not release it. 

the US Department of Defense declined, and refused to negotiate. 

Total bullshit. Not one person has ever been harmed as a result of any of these leaks.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pibo47

Man, im not sure if wikileaks is good or bad. I think the honesty is good...idk though...it just doesnt seem right. I dunno. The feds should protect their shit better.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Turambar said:
" And that makes them pretty dangerous. "
Lack of bias makes them dangerous? 
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cookiemonster

' Former UK prime minister Gordan Brown did not escape criticism either, with US officials describing him as 'unstable' and highlighting concerns over his volatile personality. ' - No surprise there.

Why the hell are all my comments in bold today?
OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By OmegaChosen
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Turambar said:
" And that makes them pretty dangerous. "
Lack of bias makes them dangerous?  "
Sort of.

In any case, I don't see how this "keeps America honest" or anything like that. It might not hurt anyone directly but it can certainly have an effect on diplomatic relations between America and the countries mentioned. I just don't see how this makes the world better or reveals some great truth, embarrassing a country just because you can; seems a little like trolling to me. :/
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

They need to be more responsible about the documents they are leaking, it's getting pretty ridiculous, and it's bad for the US's rep. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Have none of you wikileaks naysayers ever heard of Watergate or the Iran Contra scandals? Wake the fuck up please.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@XII_Sniper said:
" They need to be more responsible about the documents they are leaking, it's getting pretty ridiculous, and it's bad for the US's rep.  "
Most of this should have been public anyway. 
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By recroulette

I wonder if the people going ballistic over the leaks noticed the one that said China is sick of North Korea acting like a spoiled child.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FrankCanada97
@RecSpec: That one was pretty funny.