Learn Japanese language.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Moon

I want to learn Japanese. I am bored. Is there a place I can learn to read Japanese online? 

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By fr0br0

Do you have an Iphone?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fr0br0

That works. Get the Free Translator Touch App.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By dsplayer1010

http://ichi2.net/anki/

It might be better to try and find a book, though

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

Move to Japan and get a teacher.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By farmer

I strongly suggest getting your hands on the Pimsleur 'Speak and Understand Essential Japanese' series if you want an introduction to speaking the language. However, this won't help much (at all) with reading.

For reading, it's best the start with the kana, Hiragana and Katakana. Slime Forestis a comparitively fun way to learn these compared with the alternative - which is to just look at a sheet.

I must say, though, learning a language is no easy task, and certainly not one that should be undertaken because you're bored. It will take years of work. Hard, hard work. If you're willing to put the time and effort in, though, congratulations! Welcome to the club *thumbs up*

Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Emiel

The only way to really learn a language is to move to the country it's spoken or at least get in a situation where you have to speak the language. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By StaticFalconar
Emiel said:
"The only way to really learn a language is to move to the country it's spoken or at least get in a situation where you have to speak the language. "
Agreed^. While you could always start off with all the software and books to see if you really want to get into it, taking a japanese language class or going to someplace where everybody has to speak the language is a way to see if everything you have learned works.

I took two years of Spanish in High school, but I wouldn't exactly say I know the language. Reason? Never used it since then, and if I had to retake some of my old test, I would probably fail them.
farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By farmer
StaticFalconar said:
"Emiel said:
"The only way to really learn a language is to move to the country it's spoken or at least get in a situation where you have to speak the language. "
Agreed^. While you could always start off with all the software and books to see if you really want to get into it, taking a japanese language class or going to someplace where everybody has to speak the language is a way to see if everything you have learned works.

I took two years of Spanish in High school, but I wouldn't exactly say I know the language. Reason? Never used it since then, and if I had to retake some of my old test, I would probably fail them."
But even in the situation where you need to use the language from day to day, you have to study hard. Kanji is a fine example of this.
Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Emiel
Farmer said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"Emiel said:

I took two years of Spanish in High school, but I wouldn't exactly say I know the language. Reason? Never used it since then, and if I had to retake some of my old test, I would probably fail them."
But even in the situation where you need to use the language from day to day, you have to study hard. Kanji is a fine example of this."
Of course, but reading a website a couple of times a week is simply a waste of time. 
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Shadow

wow, you're amazing.  I can't imagine being able to just learn japanese because I was bored one day.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By farmer
Emiel said:
"Farmer said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"Emiel said:

But even in the situation where you need to use the language from day to day, you have to study hard. Kanji is a fine example of this."
Of course, but reading a website a couple of times a week is simply a waste of time. "
Oh, definitely. Unfortunately, though, that's what it sounds like the OP wants to do.
farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By farmer
Moon said:
"Farmer said:
"I strongly suggest getting your hands on the Pimsleur 'Speak and Understand Essential Japanese' series if you want an introduction to speaking the language. However, this won't help much (at all) with reading.

For reading, it's best the start with the kana, Hiragana and Katakana. Slime Forestis a comparitively fun way to learn these compared with the alternative - which is to just look at a sheet.

I must say, though, learning a language is no easy task, and certainly not one that should be undertaken because you're bored. It will take years of work. Hard, hard work. If you're willing to put the time and effort in, though, congratulations! Welcome to the club *thumbs up*"
I learned html in a day."
HTML isn't exactly the hardest 'language' in the world.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Shadow
Farmer said:
"Moon said:
"Farmer said:
"I strongly suggest getting your hands on the Pimsleur 'Speak and Understand Essential Japanese' series if you want an introduction to speaking the language. However, this won't help much (at all) with reading.

I must say, though, learning a language is no easy task, and certainly not one that should be undertaken because you're bored. It will take years of work. Hard, hard work. If you're willing to put the time and effort in, though, congratulations! Welcome to the club *thumbs up*"
HTML isn't exactly the hardest 'language' in the world."
HTML is basically C++ for preschoolers.  It's possibly the simplest programming language there is.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
StaticFalconar said:
"Emiel said:

Well that's not good reasoning at all.  I took all the spanish classes in high school (which is 7), I fluent in the language
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac
SmugDarkLoser said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"Emiel said:

Well that's not good reasoning at all.  I took all the spanish classes in high school (which is 7), I fluent in the language
"
How do you say "fanboy"?
farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By farmer
Shadow said:
"Farmer said:
"Moon said:
"Farmer said:

HTML isn't exactly the hardest 'language' in the world."
HTML is basically C++ for preschoolers.  It's possibly the simplest programming language there is."
Does a markup language even count as a programming language?
Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Moon