MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MrSnow

Learning foreign languages any tips?

I am learning German for the leaving Cert. This is the big pre-collage test.

Do any of ye lot in the wonderful GB community have any tips on learning foreign languages?

1. How best to learn vocabulary?
  2. How did you learn your vocabulary?

Can anyone recommend a German sitcom? I think watching one would help my German.

Alright, thanks guys!

Much appreciated.

Vocabulary- hard word to spell

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mordukai

The best way to learn a language is to speak it a lot. I would recommend Rosetta Stone, its fucking expansive but a I talked to many people who said that its really good. 

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't recommend any German sitcoms, but watching tv, and listening to the radio can help you alot, Im french and I learned english pretty much only from watching tv shows

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Alphazero

1. Be five year olds, those guys are amazing at learning language.
2. If you can't be five years old, speak, read, write, and use it as much as possible.

For vocab, flashcards, as boring as it sounds.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes in public. Keep trying.

"Ist deine Toechter sechsehn?" is a handy phrase. Good luck!

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrSnow
@Alphazero: What does it mean?

Thanks all but no sitcomms?
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RetroIce4

Speak it everyday. No matter how little you know. Try to speak as much as possible everyday even if the person doesn't know what you're saying. (a.k.a Usually friends and family)

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

Germans have terrible sense of humour so no sitcom I'm afraid.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

Learn English first, then work on your foreign languages.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

Flashcards are always good, IMO.  To learn how to read & write Japanese I had to use flashcards a lot, along with formal tutoring (they didn't teach it in school).

Exposing yourself to the language a lot helps too, I've imported a lot of games in Japanese.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By artofwar420

Watch tv in the language you're trying to learn, with closed captions, same with movies.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By izzygraze
@Alphazero said:

"  speak, read, write, and use it as much as possible.  For vocab, flashcards, as boring as it sounds.  "

Agreed.

"Der letzte Zeuge" won a bunch of awards. Ulrich Muhe from "lives of others" is in it. I haven't watched it but it sounds interesting.

Watching tv and listening to the radio can help but practicing the language is key, and to do it as much as possible. 

A small tip for vocab, if you haven't already figured it out, is to learn the stems of words. In German they often add a butt load of stuff on the stem and have compound words, but if you know the stem then you can give it a good guess, doesn't always work but it does help. Ex: "hineinlaufen" does not exist in the dictionary but those crazy Germans might decide to use it anyway. "laufen" is the stem and "hinein" is the prefix. Laufen means run/walk so we know it's run/walk something...and based on context of the sentence you can probably guess the rest of the meaning. (hinein= into)

DON'T FORGET TO LEARN THE GENDER OF WORDS!!!!!!!! When you're studying vocab, learn the gender of each word. This is VERY important later on, if you didn't already know...wish I knew how far along you were. Gender is important for complex sentences and many many things in German. A quick tip I learned in class recently is that most words that end in "-ung" are feminin.

I'm really bad with learning vocab but the easiest way is to have a list of words to learn each week and practice using them as much as you can. A German speaking partner can be helpful...if they're patient. 

A good online dictionary is:  "   http://dict.leo.org/   ". There are also forums there where you can discuss some things you might not understand. Also links to German dictionaries (and pronunciations).

"  http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,265,00.html   " is a site where you can watch/read/listen to German news live.

"    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kleine+nils&search_type=&aq=f   "   And this is kleine nils. Kind of funny, our teacher showed it to us in class. A radio station in German does prank calls to people's houses as a young child and the kid is trying to get help with...things.

To sum up: Practice practice practice.
Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Alphazero
@MrSnow said:
" @Alphazero: What does it mean? Thanks all but no sitcomms? "
"Is your daughter sixteen?"

Scrubs is dubbed into German. There's a bunch of clips on YouTube. I also saw The Smurfs (or, "Schlumpfs") in German and it blew my mind wide open. Passive language skills like watching TV and reading certainly help, but you learn way more doing the active stuff, talking and writing, and getting immediate feedback from a native speaker.

So, basically, I'm no help. I like German, though. It's fun, other than the sixteen words for "the".
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By animateria

Watch a lot of the language's TV shows with subtitles.

It's a good way to get a feel of using the actual language even if you don't know much.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@animateria said:
"Watch a lot of the language's TV shows with subtitles.  It's a good way to get a feel of using the actual language even if you don't know much. "
Yes, this can be helpful too. 

My advice: Stick with it. It's beneficial to take a class, because then you're investing your own money and getting graded on it. That sort of thing keeps me motivated, but you might do fine learning by yourself.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By foggel

You can watch films like Der Untergang :)

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By crusader8463

" Das Boot" and "Downfall" are two movie that i know of that are spoken in german. Plus they have English subtitles so you can turn them on and off to see if you understood it correctly. Plus they are both two awesome movies if you haven't seen them before.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By farmer

Audio lessons like Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur are a great way to start. However, they will only take you so far. Eventually, you will get to the point where you'll have a big sheet of vocabulary, and you'll just have to grind through it.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrSnow

Thanks all keep the  tips coming!!!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

Actually if you have a DS you can get My German Coach (I think it's called that). My sister has the Spainish and French versions and they're helping.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By dbz1995

MUZZY!!!!

Also, if you are learning from someone else, then teach yourself connectives (because, with, plus, and, etc.). Soon, you will be using these words to speak nice, long sentences which:

A) Make you sound smarter
B) Make you think about other parts you have learnt beforehand
C) Allow you to pretty much ace any exam you wanna try

Learn the most important thing approximately 10 minutes before you go to sleep. If you can, wake up in 30 minute stretches, learn a few words, then sleep again.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrSnow
@dbz1995: That sounds awkard
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By dbz1995
@MrSnow said:
" @dbz1995: That sounds awkard "
What sounds awkward?
Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vecta

Nothing beats old 'Inspector Rex'.

But the best way to learn a new language is to simply immerse yourself in it.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MeierTheRed

I learned my english and german by watching german and english/american cartoons, and movies in general as a kid.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrSnow
@dbz1995: never mind .................