• 88 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

With all this talk about how great The Dark Knight Rises is, and it is a really good movie what were somethings about it that just bothered you. Actually about all the movies. Spoilers!!!! Obviously.

1. The Batcycle: Is it me or does that thing seem to move incredibly slow? The motorbike should be fast and nimble but this thing seems to be the opposite, sure it can turn on a dime, but it just seems slow and clunky in all the scenes. For example the reveal scene of it in The Dark Knight kind of sucked, not the action with The Joker and the truck, but the scenes with the batcycle. When he crashes through the store and is driving it trying to catch The Joker the entire time i felt like i could probably go faster than this thing on just a bicycle.

2. The Armor: This is a hard thing for the creators to fix, Batman wears armor and because of it he moves and fights like a robot. When they re-designed it in the 2nd movie i think they even had a joke in there were Bruce said it would be nice if i could turn my head. Not a problem when he is just standing there, but look at the fight against Bane for example, Bane just looks so much more badass when he fights than Batman does.

3. The City: I haven't seen the 1st movie for a while but i remember it being a lot darker and futuristic looking with the monorail and Wayne Tower, kind of how i imagine Gotham to be. In the newer movies they are just cities New York obviously and i think Chicago and Pitt. Makes sense seeing the 2nd and 3rd movies were a little more realistic than the 1st but still i liked the darker Gotham from the first movie.

Those are probably the only big things that bother me in the movies, not bad, they just stick out to me. One more thing is implying Blake becoming the next Batman, i like Joseph, he was great in 3rd Rock From The Sun, but him kicking criminals asses? Come on, imagine if he had to fight Bane! He would have been dead in one hit.

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5313 posts) -

That the trilogy is over. I wonder if there will ever be batman movies as good as those 3 again.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

How I had to go to the bathroom twice during The Dark Knight Rises.

#4 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

W/r/t the city bit, I remember being upset with Gotham in the Dark Knight because it was so clearly Chicago while Begins had a Blade Runneresque feel to it and more of its own identity. Rewatching it for Rises, though, I realized that most of the entire movie takes place in the Narrows which is gonna have that dark, seedy vibe to it, and as the crime spreads outward and into the open in the next two films, we see it infiltrating and disrupting the city at large--which looks much more metropolitan.

Also, in Begins, Gotham is like 80% CGI. Rises was mostly NYC in terms of city-wide shots which actually affected me more:

seeing the bridges of my city blow up and later the Bat symbol burning on the Brooklyn Bridge was pretty affecting.

I never had a problem with either the Batcycle or armor.

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Is this about all Batman films, or is this for the recent trilogy?

#6 Edited by JoshyLee (176 posts) -
#7 Posted by kumquat (128 posts) -

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

#8 Posted by grayfox1210 (199 posts) -

@kumquat said:

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

This a thousand times over.

Also, I think the editing is incredibly choppy. Haven't seen the third film yet but to me the first one was all over the place and had no idea what was going on and why for that matter. I thought it was better in the second film but still bothered me.

#9 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@grayfox1210: The editing and shooting in the action scenes is streets ahead in The Dark Knight Rises. You could actually follow the fistfight scenes, and they are great.

#10 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
#11 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

That they didn't film the third movie in Chicago. In 2007, I was on a lunch break (working downtown at the time) and I came across a parking lot with two Gotham PD armored trucks and a couple of squad cars in it. It was awesome, and I am a dork.

I was really bummed when I found out they were filming the bulk of The Dark Knight Rises in Pittsburgh.

Oh, and the script for The Dark Knight was terrible. It's really a testament to the actors in that film that it turned out as good as it did, because the dialogue they had to work with was awful.

#12 Posted by GnomeonFire (698 posts) -

At most these are pretty nitpicky, but I do agree on preferring Begins Gotham.

#13 Edited by BlindRapture (106 posts) -

Batman hasn't been seen in eight years. Bruce Wayne has been a recluse for eight years.

Bruce Wayne is suddenly back in the public eye. Batman is suddenly back to work.

Bruce Wayne is dead, let's hold a funeral for him. Batman is dead, let's erect a statue in his honor.

...too bad, I guess we'll never know batman's true identity.

#14 Edited by RuthLoose (780 posts) -

Morgan Freeman playing Lucius Fox.

Now, I don't like to hate on Mr. God, but the character should have been much younger and slightly geekier over the course of the three films. I was never fully sold that Fox knew what the prototype R&D doohickeys actually were.

#15 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3795 posts) -

I loved the movie but if I had to pick something I'd say the sound mix wasn't great. I don't know if it was just my theater or a problem with the film but there were scenes where the score was totally drowning out the dialogue.

#16 Posted by BlindRapture (106 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I loved the movie but if I had to pick something I'd say the sound mix wasn't great. I don't know if it was just my theater or a problem with the film but there were scenes where the score was totally drowning out the dialogue.

I hear that a lot, I never had any problem hearing the dialog. But then, I saw it on IMAX, I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

#17 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3795 posts) -

@BlindRapture said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I loved the movie but if I had to pick something I'd say the sound mix wasn't great. I don't know if it was just my theater or a problem with the film but there were scenes where the score was totally drowning out the dialogue.

I hear that a lot, I never had any problem hearing the dialog. But then, I saw it on IMAX, I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

That might be the difference, maybe there's some difference in the two set ups that cause the problem. I KNEW I should have went to an IMAX.

#18 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3105 posts) -

Heath Ledger's death.

#19 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@kumquat said:

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

Thats the best part!!!
#20 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

The love interest in both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Katie Holmes was just awkward and felt like there was no attraction between Bale and Holmes. In Dark Knight, I didn't believe Bruce/Batman would've fell for a girl that looked or acted like Maggie Gyllenhall. I can't speak on Dark Knight Rises as I haven't seen it.

#21 Posted by NTM (7269 posts) -

I loved everything except for the times when you could ask why or what. I think Nolan's bat films are my favorite of all of the Batman's. I remember I had this adult arm sized Batman doll thing when I was about one or two, and we used to make him slide down our railing on the stairs where I lived then. I wish I still had that, but it's long gone. From what I've seen so far, from here and elsewhere, I guess I'd be in the minority, but I think Bale's Batman is the best. I got over his voice and now my feelings towards that is the total opposite, though I guess I can understand the dislike.

#22 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

I actually loved the 2nd Batman outfit. Since this is about something I didn't like I'd have to say Christian Bale's batman growl, and that the Gotham city looks different in every single movie.

#23 Posted by GreggD (4478 posts) -

Hockey pads, or the lack thereof.

#24 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Mostly nitpicks

I agree on the city, the first movie made gotham look like it's own city with a unique style and tone I guess. In the other 2 Gotham mostly looks like NY or Chicago. Also I dislike the suit somewhat, for the same reasons as you. The voice is dumb, I didn't hate it as much in the third movie though.

Overall my favorite movie is Begins, mostly because of Scarecrow. The other 2 were great but I never could shake the feeling that making the series as grounded in reality as it is made villains like Bane and Joker more a kin to terrorists then the actual characters.

Great movies overall, I hope the next ones have a different tone though, I would hate if the success of these made all subsequent ones try to be all gritty dark and realistic.

#25 Posted by BlindRapture (106 posts) -

@addictedtopinescent: Why can't they be terrorists AND characters? Scarecrow can easily be considered a terrorist too, or just about any comic book villain for that matter.

#26 Posted by yoshisaur (2661 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

That the trilogy is over. I wonder if there will ever be batman movies as good as those 3 again.
#27 Edited by me3639 (1728 posts) -

I have not seen DKR yet, but i cringe at the thought of having (ugh) Anne Hathaway and the character of Catwoman. It only reminds me of how bad Kim Bassinger ruined the original.

#28 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@me3639

I have not seen DKR yet, but i cringe at the thought of having (ugh) Anne Hathaway and the character of Catwoman. It only reminds me of how bad Kim Bassinger ruined the original.

I felt the same way going in, but she does a fine job and the character is about as understated as it has ever been played.
#29 Posted by Hunter5024 (5546 posts) -

He was great in Third Rock From The Sun. I bet he hates hearing that though.

#30 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

That the trilogy is over. I wonder if there will ever be batman movies as good as those 3 again.

Not soon, WB already hinted at RE rebooting batman to seem more slapstick and more akin to the 1960's style. Probably with Robin and overall terrible, their goal is to make a new batman that will fit in nicely with a Justice league movie.

#31 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

I JUST watched Batman Begins a few days ago and yes, the city is completely different. The monorail that leads to Wayne Tower is right over a huge shantytown section of Gotham. It was way more comic book style and cool looking than the generic city it became in the second two movies.

#32 Posted by Zleunamme (652 posts) -
  • Bale's Batman voice.
  • Lack of chemistry with Katie Holmes.
  • Health Ledger's death.
  • Cat Women's lack of a head piece and hair- it was too long. I was hoping her costume design would be similar to Adam Hughes version.

I don't have anything else to add. These last three movies helped clean up the mess that all the Joel Schumacher movies have left behind.

#33 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@zombie2011: The Batcycle is kinda dumb, yeah. You could probably walk casually by it when it's at max speed and still reach the Joker before Batman would. 
 
Also, I don't think that they were implying that Blake would be the next Batman
Just saying 
 
What I mean is, if they were to continue these movies he would turn into that flimsy dude who's kinda like Robin but not really Robin but still as girly. 
Or maybe that's just a nice dream. a DC Universe where Nightwing is still a thing but Dick Grayson died with his family
#34 Posted by Zella (704 posts) -

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

This a thousand times over.

Also, I think the editing is incredibly choppy. Haven't seen the third film yet but to me the first one was all over the place and had no idea what was going on and why for that matter. I thought it was better in the second film but still bothered me.

While it is kind of silly in the movies the voice is a part of the character from the comics, so at least they are staying true to the character.

#35 Posted by bemusedchunk (670 posts) -

The lack of actual investigation and detective work that he usually does.

I'm a huge fan of the animated series and it felt like, at least in that universe, that you saw more of the batcave and more of how THE BAT-MIN researches things.

#36 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

@bemusedchunk said:

The lack of actual investigation and detective work that he usually does.

I'm a huge fan of the animated series and it felt like, at least in that universe, that you saw more of the batcave and more of how THE BAT-MIN researches things.

Yeah he seems to outsource that stuff to Alfred and Gordon in the movies.

#37 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

@Zella said:

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

This a thousand times over.

Also, I think the editing is incredibly choppy. Haven't seen the third film yet but to me the first one was all over the place and had no idea what was going on and why for that matter. I thought it was better in the second film but still bothered me.

While it is kind of silly in the movies the voice is a part of the character from the comics, so at least they are staying true to the character.

how would you know the voice from the comics?

did i miss a leap in tech that allowed them to speak?

#38 Posted by GunstarRed (5037 posts) -

Not enough Michael Keaton.

#39 Edited by LTSmash (603 posts) -

I love the Dark Knight Trilogy, but dislike the fact that, across the three films, nobody ever went over to Christian Bale and quietly told him, "Hey buddy. Are you ABLE to close your mouth? It's really hard to take you seriously when you look like you're trying to catch flies."

#40 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

The only criticism I tend to have is Nolan's villains never have great deaths or departures from the film, scarecrow being the worst tazed in the face by Katie Holmes.

#41 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -
@kumquat said:

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

Online
#42 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -
In The Dark Knight Rises when they reveal the cop's character legal name to be Robin. That's like if the called Bruce Wayne, Batman Wayne. I understand that they didn't want to make him out be a specific Robin, but no one names their kid that and it's just way too on the nose. I get that he was kind of like Batman's sidekick through the movie and he's taking up the mantle, but then if he's becoming the new Batman why would they name his character after Batman's sidekick, who never became Batman? Please feel free to correct me and tell me how Robin did become Batman in some continuity.
#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

I never really liked any of them. I recall liking the first one the most, but they never did anything for me. Still have yet to see the last one.

#44 Posted by Zella (704 posts) -

@stinky said:

@Zella said:

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

This a thousand times over.

Also, I think the editing is incredibly choppy. Haven't seen the third film yet but to me the first one was all over the place and had no idea what was going on and why for that matter. I thought it was better in the second film but still bothered me.

While it is kind of silly in the movies the voice is a part of the character from the comics, so at least they are staying true to the character.

how would you know the voice from the comics?

did i miss a leap in tech that allowed them to speak?

It's mentioned in the comics that he specifically uses a deeper gravelly voice when he's talking as Batman.

#45 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@Zella said:

@stinky said:

@Zella said:

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

This a thousand times over.

Also, I think the editing is incredibly choppy. Haven't seen the third film yet but to me the first one was all over the place and had no idea what was going on and why for that matter. I thought it was better in the second film but still bothered me.

While it is kind of silly in the movies the voice is a part of the character from the comics, so at least they are staying true to the character.

how would you know the voice from the comics?

did i miss a leap in tech that allowed them to speak?

It's mentioned in the comics that he specifically uses a deeper gravelly voice when he's talking as Batman.

So? It sounds silly in these movies to the point that its actually distracting. They changed all sorts of things from the comics.

#46 Posted by Zella (704 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

@Zella said:

@stinky said:

@Zella said:

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

This a thousand times over.

Also, I think the editing is incredibly choppy. Haven't seen the third film yet but to me the first one was all over the place and had no idea what was going on and why for that matter. I thought it was better in the second film but still bothered me.

While it is kind of silly in the movies the voice is a part of the character from the comics, so at least they are staying true to the character.

how would you know the voice from the comics?

did i miss a leap in tech that allowed them to speak?

It's mentioned in the comics that he specifically uses a deeper gravelly voice when he's talking as Batman.

So? It sounds silly in these movies to the point that its actually distracting. They changed all sorts of things from the comics.

I know what you mean it sounds silly, but I'm just pointing out that for all the hate it gets it's a way they are staying true to the source material not just something Bale does to make the character sound scary.

#47 Posted by Veektarius (4611 posts) -

My pet peeves are...

1) The editing at the end of Batman Begins is so choppy and there are so many, "I'm going to cleverly repeat what you told me earlier!" lines of dialogue. "Didn't you get the memo?"

2)In the Dark Knight, in the party scene, Joker singles out Maggie Gyllenhal despite her being the least attractive young woman in the room

3) In general, there are way too many instances of "the entire police force is trapped in there!"

4) For all his skill in the comics at being prepared and doing detective work, movie Batman spends his time being continually outmaneuvered by things he never saw coming.

#48 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@Zella said:

So? It sounds silly in these movies to the point that its actually distracting. They changed all sorts of things from the comics.

I know what you mean it sounds silly, but I'm just pointing out that for all the hate it gets it's a way they are staying true to the source material not just something Bale does to make the character sound scary.

I get ya. Not blaming Bale as much as Nolan. It's just unnecessary.

This is really the problem with all three Nolan movies. Nobody ever told him "no." This worked out great in TDK, but it's also the reason TDKR is so bloated and ham fisted.

#49 Posted by Veektarius (4611 posts) -

@BlindRapture said:

Batman hasn't been seen in eight years. Bruce Wayne has been a recluse for eight years.

Bruce Wayne is suddenly back in the public eye. Batman is suddenly back to work.

Bruce Wayne is dead, let's hold a funeral for him. Batman is dead, let's erect a statue in his honor.

...too bad, I guess we'll never know batman's true identity.

Bruce Wayne was one of probably tens-hundreds of thousands of people who died during Bane's reign, you know?
#50 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

@Veektarius said:

2)In the Dark Knight, in the party scene, Joker singles out Maggie Gyllenhal despite her being the least attractive young woman in the room

The Joker singled her out because she was Harvey Dent's "little squeeze".