Least Favorite Things about the Batman Movies.

• 85 results
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By zombie2011

With all this talk about how great The Dark Knight Rises is, and it is a really good movie what were somethings about it that just bothered you. Actually about all the movies. Spoilers!!!! Obviously.

1. The Batcycle: Is it me or does that thing seem to move incredibly slow? The motorbike should be fast and nimble but this thing seems to be the opposite, sure it can turn on a dime, but it just seems slow and clunky in all the scenes. For example the reveal scene of it in The Dark Knight kind of sucked, not the action with The Joker and the truck, but the scenes with the batcycle. When he crashes through the store and is driving it trying to catch The Joker the entire time i felt like i could probably go faster than this thing on just a bicycle.

2. The Armor: This is a hard thing for the creators to fix, Batman wears armor and because of it he moves and fights like a robot. When they re-designed it in the 2nd movie i think they even had a joke in there were Bruce said it would be nice if i could turn my head. Not a problem when he is just standing there, but look at the fight against Bane for example, Bane just looks so much more badass when he fights than Batman does.

3. The City: I haven't seen the 1st movie for a while but i remember it being a lot darker and futuristic looking with the monorail and Wayne Tower, kind of how i imagine Gotham to be. In the newer movies they are just cities New York obviously and i think Chicago and Pitt. Makes sense seeing the 2nd and 3rd movies were a little more realistic than the 1st but still i liked the darker Gotham from the first movie.

Those are probably the only big things that bother me in the movies, not bad, they just stick out to me. One more thing is implying Blake becoming the next Batman, i like Joseph, he was great in 3rd Rock From The Sun, but him kicking criminals asses? Come on, imagine if he had to fight Bane! He would have been dead in one hit.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts

That the trilogy is over. I wonder if there will ever be batman movies as good as those 3 again.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

How I had to go to the bathroom twice during The Dark Knight Rises.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

W/r/t the city bit, I remember being upset with Gotham in the Dark Knight because it was so clearly Chicago while Begins had a Blade Runneresque feel to it and more of its own identity. Rewatching it for Rises, though, I realized that most of the entire movie takes place in the Narrows which is gonna have that dark, seedy vibe to it, and as the crime spreads outward and into the open in the next two films, we see it infiltrating and disrupting the city at large--which looks much more metropolitan.

Also, in Begins, Gotham is like 80% CGI. Rises was mostly NYC in terms of city-wide shots which actually affected me more:

seeing the bridges of my city blow up and later the Bat symbol burning on the Brooklyn Bridge was pretty affecting.

I never had a problem with either the Batcycle or armor.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Is this about all Batman films, or is this for the recent trilogy?

JoshyLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoshyLee
kumquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By kumquat

Bale's stupid Batman voice.

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By grayfox1210

@kumquat said:

This a thousand times over.

Also, I think the editing is incredibly choppy. Haven't seen the third film yet but to me the first one was all over the place and had no idea what was going on and why for that matter. I thought it was better in the second film but still bothered me.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@grayfox1210: The editing and shooting in the action scenes is streets ahead in The Dark Knight Rises. You could actually follow the fistfight scenes, and they are great.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster
Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

That they didn't film the third movie in Chicago. In 2007, I was on a lunch break (working downtown at the time) and I came across a parking lot with two Gotham PD armored trucks and a couple of squad cars in it. It was awesome, and I am a dork.

I was really bummed when I found out they were filming the bulk of The Dark Knight Rises in Pittsburgh.

Oh, and the script for The Dark Knight was terrible. It's really a testament to the actors in that film that it turned out as good as it did, because the dialogue they had to work with was awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

At most these are pretty nitpicky, but I do agree on preferring Begins Gotham.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RuthLoose

Morgan Freeman playing Lucius Fox.

Now, I don't like to hate on Mr. God, but the character should have been much younger and slightly geekier over the course of the three films. I was never fully sold that Fox knew what the prototype R&D doohickeys actually were.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I loved the movie but if I had to pick something I'd say the sound mix wasn't great. I don't know if it was just my theater or a problem with the film but there were scenes where the score was totally drowning out the dialogue.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@BlindRapture said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I loved the movie but if I had to pick something I'd say the sound mix wasn't great. I don't know if it was just my theater or a problem with the film but there were scenes where the score was totally drowning out the dialogue.

I hear that a lot, I never had any problem hearing the dialog. But then, I saw it on IMAX, I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

That might be the difference, maybe there's some difference in the two set ups that cause the problem. I KNEW I should have went to an IMAX.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By dichemstys

Heath Ledger's death.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kumquat said:

Thats the best part!!!
Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jazzycola

The love interest in both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Katie Holmes was just awkward and felt like there was no attraction between Bale and Holmes. In Dark Knight, I didn't believe Bruce/Batman would've fell for a girl that looked or acted like Maggie Gyllenhall. I can't speak on Dark Knight Rises as I haven't seen it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

I loved everything except for the times when you could ask why or what. I think Nolan's bat films are my favorite of all of the Batman's. I remember I had this adult arm sized Batman doll thing when I was about one or two, and we used to make him slide down our railing on the stairs where I lived then. I wish I still had that, but it's long gone. From what I've seen so far, from here and elsewhere, I guess I'd be in the minority, but I think Bale's Batman is the best. I got over his voice and now my feelings towards that is the total opposite, though I guess I can understand the dislike.

High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By High_Nunez

I actually loved the 2nd Batman outfit. Since this is about something I didn't like I'd have to say Christian Bale's batman growl, and that the Gotham city looks different in every single movie.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By GreggD

Hockey pads, or the lack thereof.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly nitpicks

I agree on the city, the first movie made gotham look like it's own city with a unique style and tone I guess. In the other 2 Gotham mostly looks like NY or Chicago. Also I dislike the suit somewhat, for the same reasons as you. The voice is dumb, I didn't hate it as much in the third movie though.

Overall my favorite movie is Begins, mostly because of Scarecrow. The other 2 were great but I never could shake the feeling that making the series as grounded in reality as it is made villains like Bane and Joker more a kin to terrorists then the actual characters.

Great movies overall, I hope the next ones have a different tone though, I would hate if the success of these made all subsequent ones try to be all gritty dark and realistic.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kindgineer

@laserbolts said:

That the trilogy is over. I wonder if there will ever be batman movies as good as those 3 again.
me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By me3639

I have not seen DKR yet, but i cringe at the thought of having (ugh) Anne Hathaway and the character of Catwoman. It only reminds me of how bad Kim Bassinger ruined the original.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@me3639

I have not seen DKR yet, but i cringe at the thought of having (ugh) Anne Hathaway and the character of Catwoman. It only reminds me of how bad Kim Bassinger ruined the original.

I felt the same way going in, but she does a fine job and the character is about as understated as it has ever been played.
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Hunter5024

He was great in Third Rock From The Sun. I bet he hates hearing that though.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@laserbolts said:

Not soon, WB already hinted at RE rebooting batman to seem more slapstick and more akin to the 1960's style. Probably with Robin and overall terrible, their goal is to make a new batman that will fit in nicely with a Justice league movie.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I JUST watched Batman Begins a few days ago and yes, the city is completely different. The monorail that leads to Wayne Tower is right over a huge shantytown section of Gotham. It was way more comic book style and cool looking than the generic city it became in the second two movies.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Zleunamme
  • Bale's Batman voice.
  • Lack of chemistry with Katie Holmes.
  • Health Ledger's death.
  • Cat Women's lack of a head piece and hair- it was too long. I was hoping her costume design would be similar to Adam Hughes version.

I don't have anything else to add. These last three movies helped clean up the mess that all the Joel Schumacher movies have left behind.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zeforgotten
@zombie2011: The Batcycle is kinda dumb, yeah. You could probably walk casually by it when it's at max speed and still reach the Joker before Batman would. 

Also, I don't think that they were implying that Blake would be the next Batman
Just saying 

What I mean is, if they were to continue these movies he would turn into that flimsy dude who's kinda like Robin but not really Robin but still as girly. 
Or maybe that's just a nice dream. a DC Universe where Nightwing is still a thing but Dick Grayson died with his family
Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zella

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

Also, I think the editing is incredibly choppy. Haven't seen the third film yet but to me the first one was all over the place and had no idea what was going on and why for that matter. I thought it was better in the second film but still bothered me.

While it is kind of silly in the movies the voice is a part of the character from the comics, so at least they are staying true to the character.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bemusedchunk

The lack of actual investigation and detective work that he usually does.

I'm a huge fan of the animated series and it felt like, at least in that universe, that you saw more of the batcave and more of how THE BAT-MIN researches things.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zombie2011

@bemusedchunk said:

The lack of actual investigation and detective work that he usually does.

I'm a huge fan of the animated series and it felt like, at least in that universe, that you saw more of the batcave and more of how THE BAT-MIN researches things.

Yeah he seems to outsource that stuff to Alfred and Gordon in the movies.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By stinky

@Zella said:

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

While it is kind of silly in the movies the voice is a part of the character from the comics, so at least they are staying true to the character.

how would you know the voice from the comics?

did i miss a leap in tech that allowed them to speak?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By GunstarRed

Not enough Michael Keaton.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ltsmash

I love the Dark Knight Trilogy, but dislike the fact that, across the three films, nobody ever went over to Christian Bale and quietly told him, "Hey buddy. Are you ABLE to close your mouth? It's really hard to take you seriously when you look like you're trying to catch flies."

Avatar image for deathmachine117
Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deathmachine117

The only criticism I tend to have is Nolan's villains never have great deaths or departures from the film, scarecrow being the worst tazed in the face by Katie Holmes.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jrinswand
@kumquat said:

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rainbowkisses
In The Dark Knight Rises when they reveal the cop's character legal name to be Robin. That's like if the called Bruce Wayne, Batman Wayne. I understand that they didn't want to make him out be a specific Robin, but no one names their kid that and it's just way too on the nose. I get that he was kind of like Batman's sidekick through the movie and he's taking up the mantle, but then if he's becoming the new Batman why would they name his character after Batman's sidekick, who never became Batman? Please feel free to correct me and tell me how Robin did become Batman in some continuity.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By crusader8463

I never really liked any of them. I recall liking the first one the most, but they never did anything for me. Still have yet to see the last one.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zella

@stinky said:

@Zella said:

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

It's mentioned in the comics that he specifically uses a deeper gravelly voice when he's talking as Batman.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mtcantor

@Zella said:

@stinky said:

@Zella said:

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

It's mentioned in the comics that he specifically uses a deeper gravelly voice when he's talking as Batman.

So? It sounds silly in these movies to the point that its actually distracting. They changed all sorts of things from the comics.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zella

@mtcantor said:

@Zella said:

@stinky said:

@Zella said:

@grayfox1210 said:

@kumquat said:

So? It sounds silly in these movies to the point that its actually distracting. They changed all sorts of things from the comics.

I know what you mean it sounds silly, but I'm just pointing out that for all the hate it gets it's a way they are staying true to the source material not just something Bale does to make the character sound scary.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By veektarius

My pet peeves are...

1) The editing at the end of Batman Begins is so choppy and there are so many, "I'm going to cleverly repeat what you told me earlier!" lines of dialogue. "Didn't you get the memo?"

2)In the Dark Knight, in the party scene, Joker singles out Maggie Gyllenhal despite her being the least attractive young woman in the room

3) In general, there are way too many instances of "the entire police force is trapped in there!"

4) For all his skill in the comics at being prepared and doing detective work, movie Batman spends his time being continually outmaneuvered by things he never saw coming.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mtcantor

@Zella said:

I know what you mean it sounds silly, but I'm just pointing out that for all the hate it gets it's a way they are staying true to the source material not just something Bale does to make the character sound scary.

I get ya. Not blaming Bale as much as Nolan. It's just unnecessary.

This is really the problem with all three Nolan movies. Nobody ever told him "no." This worked out great in TDK, but it's also the reason TDKR is so bloated and ham fisted.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By veektarius

@BlindRapture said:

Batman hasn't been seen in eight years. Bruce Wayne has been a recluse for eight years.

Bruce Wayne is suddenly back in the public eye. Batman is suddenly back to work.

Bruce Wayne is dead, let's hold a funeral for him. Batman is dead, let's erect a statue in his honor.

...too bad, I guess we'll never know batman's true identity.

Bruce Wayne was one of probably tens-hundreds of thousands of people who died during Bane's reign, you know?
Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rainbowkisses

@Veektarius said:

2)In the Dark Knight, in the party scene, Joker singles out Maggie Gyllenhal despite her being the least attractive young woman in the room

The Joker singled her out because she was Harvey Dent's "little squeeze".