• 64 results
#1 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3821 posts) -

Lebron James is going back to the Cleveland Cavaliers, the team that drafted him first overall in 2003 and where he played for seven seasons before eventually joining up with the Miami Heats in 2010. In Miami along with all-stars Bosh and Wade he led them to four finals appearances winning two of them. If you know the history of Cleveland's teams they have some of the most die hard and beleaguered fans in sports. Their last major championship was in 1964 and they've been mightily close to winning championships over the years only to have them lose at the waning moments. Personally I'm not a Cavs fan but I think this is great for the city of Cleveland. Lebron could further cement his legacy by leading a city to its first major championship in 50 years.

Essay from Lebron James in Sports illustrated - http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

#2 Edited by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

#3 Posted by notnert427 (381 posts) -

What I think is funny is that there are Cleveland folks who considered him a deity, then burned all their Lebron stuff when he left, but will now consider him a deity again. That said, I'd like to see him bring them a championship, though I don't see it happening, because....Cleveland.

#4 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3821 posts) -

@notnert427 said:

What I think is funny is that there are Cleveland folks who considered him a deity, then burned all their Lebron stuff when he left, but will now consider him a deity again. That said, I'd like to see him bring them a championship, though I don't see it happening, because....Cleveland.

True, the urban myth of Cleveland's losing can get into the mentality of both players and fans. Though Cleveland has a core and possibly a big six on that squad in the coming years. Along with Lebron James, you have Dion Waiters, Tristan Thompson, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Bennett and Andew Wiggins. I think Irving and Wiggins are untouchable at the moment while Waiters, Thompson, and Bennett could possibly be used as bargaining chips later down the line or could develop into decent players considering none of them are over the age of 24 yet. You also have some decent role players Like Varejao who to me is a poor man's Joakim Noah.

#5 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

Lebron could have waited until they got 5 more number one picks though.

#6 Posted by Marcsman (3294 posts) -

This sport's draft is more rigged than wrestling.

#7 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

I'm just glad it's over after how crazy the speculation got. Seriously, after not saying anything officially to anyone, the story got crazier and showed that the media couldn't help themselves from adding to the speculation. Now hopefully Carmelo, Bosh and all other free agents land wherever and I can get excited for another season of basketball.

#8 Posted by Nightriff (5362 posts) -

The SI article is incredibly touching. good for him that he is happy with his decision. I hope he at least wins one championship there....but I don't think it happens.

#9 Posted by GaspoweR (3517 posts) -

The SI article is incredibly touching. good for him that he is happy with his decision. I hope he at least wins one championship there....but I don't think it happens.

Yeah he himself admits that it's not going to be as easy compared to when he was at Miami but I definitely love how that essay was worded. It really hit me in the feels. Good luck to him and congrats to Cleveland.

#10 Posted by brutushayesosu (141 posts) -

Now I want a NBA Jam type WWE game......Now

#11 Edited by Slag (4889 posts) -

I like it! And man that article he wrote was very smart considering how ti went down the last time. He's really grown up a lot in the 4 years.

Lebron's a super likable dude, if home really mattered to any professional athlete he seems like the guy.

Though He's probably got a 2-3 year window before the fans will turn on him if the Cavs don't win a title...

#12 Edited by Nightriff (5362 posts) -

@slag said:

I like it! And man that article he wrote was very smart considering how ti went down the last time. He's really grown up a lot in the 4 years.

Lebron's a super likable dude, if home really mattered to any professional athlete he seems like the guy.

Though He's probably got a 2-3 year window before the fans will turn on him if the Cavs don't win a title...

I don't see them turning on him. Cleveland fans if anything would turn on him if he won one and then never got close again, and not necessarily turn on him, more be overly critical. I bet they realize how lucky they are to have a great player like him, and they saw how bad they were when he wasn't there.

#13 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3821 posts) -

I think it's funny most fans are shitting on the Heats at the moment. People have made a great point that Miami could very well go after Carmelo Anthony and replace Lebron with him. Obviously Carmelo is no Lebron, and both Bosh and Wade would have to resign with Miami but even still the Heats have a lot of flexibility in the salary cap to make some moves.

#14 Edited by me3639 (1853 posts) -

I will give Lebron this, and only this he as at least been an athlete in these days that has carried himself with class on and off the court. As for his move back to cleveland, it more of just about him trying to reach that MJ love he so elusively tries to get every day. That is always going to get in the way of reaching that legend status. A great player, but not a leader.

Just thought about something else, this will also show how mediocre Spoelstra is as a coach. Guess he and Riley wont look so "genius" after this year. There is nothing more overrated in sports than exec and coaches.

#15 Posted by Slag (4889 posts) -

@slag said:

I don't see them turning on him. Cleveland fans if anything would turn on him if he won one and then never got close again, and not necessarily turn on him, more be overly critical. I bet they realize how lucky they are to have a great player like him, and they saw how bad they were when he wasn't there.

I hope you are right, Cleveland fans are desperate for a championship in something though and have been through a lot of sports heartache. ESPN classic is basically just a channel full of Cleveland sports team meltdowns in championships. They aren't always the most rational about these kinds of things, but you are right they have seen what's it like to not have him. So maybe they have learned.

#16 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1532 posts) -

As a long time Heat fan and South Florida native, I thank him for 4 awesome and stressful years. But any amount of sadness is immediately negated knowing that the bandwagon fans will jump ship from my team.

#17 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3821 posts) -

It's very telling that Andrew Wiggins nor Bennett were mentioned in the article. There's reports out there Cavaliers executives are trying to flip them for a trade for Kevin Love. Also possible rumors is the addition of Mike Miller and Ray Allen to the team as perimeter shooters.

#18 Posted by wjb (1697 posts) -

I don't normally watch Sportscenter as much anymore, but I had it on the other day and that Brian Windhorst guy was being interviewed in the studio. (I guess he's the "Lebron" guy to go to?)

He creeped me out. He did that thing where you're sitting down in comfortable chairs with someone on a set and they're asking you questions, and instead of looking at them like a normal person would when having a conversation, he kept on staring at the moving camera while talking, Ross Perot-like.

I don't care for Lebron, but it's nice he's trying again with Cleveland.

#19 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

What he wrote was so great as well and I'm glad he's going back home. Now Carmelo just needs to stay with New York and all will be right.

#20 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

His ego in that article, how he carries himself, everything about him makes him such an insufferable human being.

#21 Posted by csl316 (9485 posts) -

Haven't been a big fan for the past few years, but I'm all for this plan. So much for the "not five, not six, not seven" titles in Miami.

#22 Posted by Nightriff (5362 posts) -

@slag said:

@nightriff said:

@slag said:

I hope you are right, Cleveland fans are desperate for a championship in something though and have been through a lot of sports heartache. ESPN classic is basically just a channel full of Cleveland sports team meltdowns in championships. They aren't always the most rational about these kinds of things, but you are right they have seen what's it like to not have him. So maybe they have learned.

Time will tell of course, so cliche but you never know what you have until you loose it, once you have it back you take it for granted. We all do it.

#23 Edited by Magris (65 posts) -

After quitting game 5 of the finals with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter, I can never respect Lebron to the same level as Kobe and Jordan. My only concern regarding his move to cleveland is how this wold potentially affect Love coming to my warriors. Though I doubt Flip Saunders really thinks that waiters, thompson and bennett is a better deal than Barnes, Lee and a number one.

#24 Posted by freakin9 (1171 posts) -

This seems like some PR move. I'm not one of them, but most people seemed to grow a hatred for him both because he moved and how he moved.

#25 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3821 posts) -

@magris said:

After quitting game 5 of the finals with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter, I can never respect Lebron to the same level as Kobe and Jordan. My only concern regarding his move to cleveland is how this wold potentially affect Love coming to my warriors. Though I doubt Flip Saunders really thinks that waiters, thompson and bennett is a better deal than Barnes, Lee and a number one.

Waiters, Thompson and Bennett are all under the age of 24 with high potential. The Warriors trade brings you Barnes who might have the potential to be a decent shooter, Lee (31 year old former all-star pf w/ a history of injury problems over the past few years in Golden State) and a number 1 which would probably be in the 20's depending on where Warriors finish. Flip knows if they were to trade Love they aren't winning in the difficult Western Conference even with Lee. You can kinda see where I'm going here with this, also reports are out that possibly Wiggins might be on the block.

#26 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3821 posts) -

@freakin9 said:

This seems like some PR move. I'm not one of them, but most people seemed to grow a hatred for him both because he moved and how he moved.

It's harsh to say it's a marketing ploy considering Lebron is from Ohio and his family did have some influence on him returning back to Cleveland. I'd probably put this on par to when Michael Jordan's return to basketball after playing baseball after a few years. If you remember back then people had an inkling of a feeling it could happen one day but it doesn't really hit you until it happens. Only difference is there wasn't a huge giant press conference of the decision.

@jasonr86 said:

His ego in that article, how he carries himself, everything about him makes him such an insufferable human being.

No different from any star today. This wasn't as bad as "the decision" which just left a bad taste in everyones mouth.

#27 Edited by SteamRickroller (310 posts) -
A handy document for all the Miami Heat fans out there.

But seriously, this is absolutely insane. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out just how humoungous this could be if it works. And we don't have to watch The Decision ever again, so everybody wins!

#28 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3821 posts) -
#29 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1835 posts) -

I don't care how good he is. Lebron is a bitch, so I'll hate him no matter where he goes. Though it is nice for him to return to the Cavs, I'm sure he'll do them some much-needed good.

#30 Posted by xX_Kells (23 posts) -

@jasonr86: Insufferable? Why? Because he knows he's the best player in the NBA? Jordan and Kobe are ego maniacs and so is Lebron, but they all have a right to be. They, at one point in their careers were the very best at what they do. I hate when people want athletes to pretend they are humble.

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (12161 posts) -
#32 Edited by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -

This shit is like the Dark Knight Trilogy

LeBron Begins

• A precocious young basketball star resuscitates a sport and a league that is dying from within. His rise hails hope and potential for millions of onlookers galvanized by his mystique.

The Dark King

• LeBron's acheivements are many, but his challenges grow more numerous and demoralizing. To accomplish the ultimate basketball feat--victory in the NBA Finals--LeBron divorces himself from his followers and aligns himself with two other renowned basketball forces. In doing so, he tastes that so sweetly desired complete victory, but at the bitter price of total public vilification.

The Dark King Rises

• Once a spot of pride for a burgeoning league and now a menace to the culture of an entire sport, LeBron confronts his demons on the ultimate stage. In this climactic final chapter, the Dark King returns to his roots, where he has been both savior and sinner, to redeem himself and his desperate community once and for all.
#33 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

He's a pretty good human being actually...married his high school sweetheart, cares about his children first, gives millions to charity, never been arrested or any legal trouble his whole life...yep, real terrible person...

#34 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3821 posts) -

@historyinrust: When describing the situation to family and friend's who are not nba fans or do not know who Lebron is I explain it using the Anakin Skywalker analogy.

• Lebron James is discovered in the blue collar town of Akron, Ohio and gets the moniker "King James" or the "chosen one" (aka the title as the next Jordan) similar to Anakin.
  • Gets drafted by his home state team, the Cavaliers (err. the republic / lightside) but can't bring them to the championship.
  • Gets enticed by Riley (Palpatine, even though I'm a huge Riley fan that dude is cut throat in the basketball world) and joins the Miami Heats.
  • The Miami Heats get the stigma of the Evil Empire or the Darkside due to how they built their team. Similar to the late 90's / early 2000 Yankees who built there team on money by signing all the big stars to huge contracts. in 2010 they signed Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh and Lebron James who were three of the biggest stars in the NBA four years ago.
  • Miami won (Empire / Dark Side), Cleveland Lost (Alliance / Light Side)
  • Lebron James sees the errors of his ways (the decision) returns to Cleveland (Light Side)
  • Everyone is happy and parties with Ewoks, except for Miami.
#35 Edited by madman356647 (376 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

He's a pretty good human being actually...married his high school sweetheart, cares about his children first, gives millions to charity, never been arrested or any legal trouble his whole life...yep, real terrible person...

It's more the giant circus where LeBron turned finding a new NBA team into American Idol that just made him come off as very unlikeable. Ironically, there wasn't a big circus this time, just "I'm going here" and then sports sites went off like Vinny playing Bot Colony.

#36 Posted by Corevi (5003 posts) -

They already did, WWE All Stars was fucking insane.

#37 Posted by oldenglishC (1008 posts) -

Good for him. I hope he gets rickets.

GO PISTONS!

#38 Posted by Xanadu (424 posts) -

@brutushayesosu said:

They already did, WWE All Stars was fucking insane.

I think he was saying he wants a WWE All Stars like game with NBA players as fighters. Which I think, would be amazing. Imagine fighting with Charles Barkley and using his special move: The Chaos Dunk.

#39 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

@counterclockwork87:

Yeah, he married someone, he's a Father and does what a Father should do, and he gives to charity. He's also a very good athlete. He also carries himself as if he were the second coming of Christ.

@i_stay_puft:

Any other player simply would have signed with a team, maybe had a press conference, and that would be that. This articles existence is only acceptable when compared to how obsurd 'the decision' was.

#40 Edited by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

That thread title just makes me think of that John Cena "I'm Coming Home" Wrestlemania promo from a few years ago.

#41 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

Hopefully all the feel good homecoming can continue and the Raptors somehow end up with Wiggins.

#42 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3821 posts) -

@chaser324: Was thinking of that Diddy song when I heard the news. I'm from Seattle and I know when Griffey returned for the final two years of his career it was a pretty big deal to Seattle. I can imagine how the city of Cleveland is feeling.

#43 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@counterclockwork87:

Yeah, he married someone, he's a Father and does what a Father should do, and he gives to charity. He's also a very good athlete. He also carries himself as if he were the second coming of Christ.

@i_stay_puft:

Any other player simply would have signed with a team, maybe had a press conference, and that would be that. This articles existence is only acceptable when compared to how obsurd 'the decision' was.

People do realize that "the decision" was at the Boys and Girls Club and all the revenue from it went towards the charity right?? In one day he gave more than most people do in their whole lives.

#44 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

@counterclockwork87:

Really? I mean it's nice the ego-maniac didn't take all the money for himself. But are you really defending the decision fiasco? That's the fucking height of it all man!

#45 Posted by GaspoweR (3517 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

What? Really? It didn't come off like that at all.

#46 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

@gaspower:

I don't know. It looks like it's just me. It's less the content of the article but rather its very existence. Any other athlete that is a free agent signs with the team, maybe there's a press conference, then it's all over. This article's existence suggests that Lebron and other people think he is extraordinary and requires extraordinary attention in such circumstances beyond anyone else. I mean I get it. He's an incredible athlete. But I would be embarrased and ashamed if I were in Lebron's position. I like athletes that accept the spotlight and deal with it but don't demand for even more spotlights to highlight their extravagance.

#47 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@counterclockwork87:

Really? I mean it's nice the ego-maniac didn't take all the money for himself. But are you really defending the decision fiasco? That's the fucking height of it all man!

Yes, I always thought the hate at "the decision" was idiotic considering in 75 minutes, yes 75 minutes, over 6 million dollars was generated for various charities. If he never did "the decision" that money doesn't get generated, it just doesn't. So tell me, if you were a kid benefiting from that charity, do you wish he had never done it? So dumb to critize that to me.

#48 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

@counterclockwork87:

The dude can raise 6 million with a camera trained on him for 75 minutes. To say the intentions for the show were purely charitable is pretty off dude.

#49 Edited by freakin9 (1171 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

@freakin9 said:

It's harsh to say it's a marketing ploy considering Lebron is from Ohio and his family did have some influence on him returning back to Cleveland. I'd probably put this on par to when Michael Jordan's return to basketball after playing baseball after a few years. If you remember back then people had an inkling of a feeling it could happen one day but it doesn't really hit you until it happens. Only difference is there wasn't a huge giant press conference of the decision.

I won't say you aren't making excellent points, it just all feels too quaint. But, as I said, I never hated the guy, so don't really care either way. I'm sure Cleveland is happy though, not like he's coming back at the tail end of his career.

On a side note, if Bosh came back to Toronto I don't think anyone in Toronto would give a crap.

#50 Edited by GaspoweR (3517 posts) -

@jasonr86: Well, sure, but he didn't call for a press conference which is something that probably would have been done normally, instead it was just revealed via an article. I think for all intents and purposes this was probably the best way he could have handled it to be honest. I'm not even a fan of LeBron nor do I detest him though I'll boo him if my team was playing against his in a live game but to be honest I thought that essay was very well put together and very heartfelt. I don't mind the existence of it, I'm actually even glad it was done this way. There would be no need for a press con or a Q&A after the fact since every thing he wanted to say and the reason why he wanted to leave his current team and come back to his old team are all in the essay. He covered all the bases, he thanked his old teammates, the organization, and coaching staff and put everything into perspective. It was done cleanly and low-key, unlike what happened last time (even though the proceeds were for the benefit of charities).