• 148 results
PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By PoorTommy

Alex Navarro has made things evident in the recent past that he has had some psychological dilemmas which can from time to time reappear. In a series of tweets, he again discussed that he has been through various emotionally fraught periods in his life. I am somewhat hesitant to post his personal tweets, but I think he was trying to impart in his messages a positive statement about his condition.

Five years ago I was calling my therapist three days a week having complete meltdowns. Nowadays I can at least manage it. Progress is cool.

— The Dreaded Alex (@alex_navarro) December 8, 2014

There are probably members who can attest to the severity of mental anxieties, and those are truly instances when life can seem a dreadful thing. Not that long ago I had gone through my own coils of depression. I know that support and empathy from others can soothe those moments during lonlieness. Let's show some support for Alex here and maybe show some thoughtful concern for those going through a certain emotional or mental anguish.

Be nice to yourself. There are enough people out there who won’t be, there’s no reason you need to be your own enemy too.

— The Dreaded Alex (@alex_navarro) December 8, 2014

Good words to go by, duder. Just for a short moment, let us be brave enough to say we are proud of ourselves and happy to be human beings.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Corwag

I know it's his job any everything, but I wouldn't suggest someone with such anxiety and depression be a public online figure.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Alex is a cool guy on camera and I like to think we would find each other okay if we met. Like, we would try to punch each other or anything. At least I hope not, I have bad shoulders and might get injured in a fight.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm glad that Alex is getting to a point where he can deal with those problems. Listening back to old podcasts and such, Alex would occasionally mention or talk about his anxiety issues and I always felt so bad for him. It's a tough, long road but it does get better. Sometimes it's about having someone to talk to, sometimes it's about self-reflection and trying to be a better person, sometimes it's just about trying to unwind and not let the little things get to you...

Whatever it is, it helps.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I've had horrible anxiety for years now and only recently (In the past two months) gotten help. It's a pretty tough place to be, but it always helped me whenever I recieved kind words and support from friends and family. So, for whatever it's worth from a stranger on the internet, keep on keeping on. I consider him an invaluable member of the site and I'm happy he's a little happier himself.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Alex is a cool dude and his brain shouldn't be so hard on him. Despite struggling with mental anxieties, he's entertaining and informing thousands of people every day and is in what seems like a great job with a lot of other great people. So all in all he's doing pretty good for himself.

Now if you really wanted me to like you Alex, you'd bring back Year of the Cage! That was some of the best and most entertaining written stuff I have seen from any GB member. But that's a topic for another day.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MudMan

@corwag said:

I know it's his job any everything, but I wouldn't suggest someone with such anxiety and depression be a public online figure.

If that was true, TV and the Internet would both be empty of professionally made content.

Whatever, I get why it's hard to get.

Cool on OP for asking for us to support Alex. Alex is pretty cool, and should look after himself and try to keep shit together if he can, which isn't always an option. This sounds encouraging

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/542088469913165825

Because, man, it's not easy to get there.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It takes guts to talk about mental problems like this. This kind of stuff makes people incredibly uncomfortable and a lot of people get quickly labeled as a fucking nut for expressing anything poorly about their mental health. This alone is shitty because a lot of these problems are best handled by just fucking talking about them.

Thank you Alex for sharing this, my high respect for you already is even higher. I first learned about you through Screened and fucking loved what you and Rorie did there. Your work on Giantbomb is equally appreciated. Bombin the AM is one of my favorite features on this site and of course everything you and Vinny do is gold. I hope you know you got a whole community of people here who love what you do. Keep up the great work.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Alex Navarro is cool beans as far as I'm concerned.

• I value his opinion on Bombin the AM
  • His PAX rumble antics amuse me greatly
  • I enjoy his personality on content just as much as any of the GB staffers
AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corwag: Ugh why the hell not? Has no effect on his knowledge or skill. Most people if not all had no idea. So how can you make such a comment when his work publicly has not be affected nor will be

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By excast

I've been glad to see a lot more of Alex on camera over the last few years. And kudos to him for being open about his struggles. Maybe his words will reach others dealing with something similar.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really not good with writing something heartfelt that comes off that way, however I have to show my support for Alex. He is a cool dude who is funny and seems like a pretty good dude without knowing him personally. He provides me with entertainment on a weekly basis and I too suffer from depression and anxiety(among a slew of other things) and getting me to naturally smile isn't an easy thing to do yet he(and the rest of the group) do it on a consistent basis. So for that I thank you and hope that maybe it can bring you some peace to know that your presence in this world is bringing peace to other people

Thank you for everything you do Alex, keep making that progress and doing what you do, bring smiles to faces and allow laughter to fill many rooms!!!!

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By conmulligan

I don't know why, but I really disliked Alex when he was at GameSpot. He always came across as aloof and single-minded to me, so I wrote him off without much thought. It was only when he joined Whiskey Media and started to put more of himself out there that I realised just how badly I had misjudged him. He's easily one of the most empathetic and considerate dudes knocking around the games journo scene, and I really admire his willingness to be vulnerable and open about stuff like mental health. You rule, Alex Navarro.

AquaGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm also dealing with anxiety issues as well. I honestly never knew he suffered from seemingly some severe anxiety. I'm glad to hear he's making progress and the community is helping them as much as we can.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@athleticshark: The point is that being a very opinionated public figure tends to get intense reactions from said public, which honestly cannot really help someone trying to deal with anxiety issues.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Alex is fantastic.

It took some time to warm up to his blunt, somewhat cynical style, but his Screened podcasts with Rorie exposed him for being the intelligent, thoughtful, passionate dude he is.

When he writes, he's my favorite writer in the industry. I had Ebert for movies, I have Sam Smith for basketball, and Alex for video games. Those first two are the best of the best for me because I enjoy every single thing they put down. Alex is in that company for me, no question. It's easy to read, he's talking from experience, there's a dry humor there, and his reviews give you an analysis that many "here's a summary of the game" writers could only dream of.

Having him work with Vinny is great, too. That last video showed them living like damn hell ass kings, which gives me high hopes for what the Beast is becoming.

He's mentioned anxiety in the past, which sucks to hear and isn't something that can be solved with "hey, lighten up!" So I suppose this thread is a good idea. I hate to tag editors, but someone probably should. @alex

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of felt Alex was a bit intense. As for being a public figure, he does it well.. One time I said something in a comment I would take back, because it would be like trying to take a shot if I really meant it.

Some people who are intelligent also have a propensity for personal disturbance. They are also entertaining. That recent comment of his coupled with Biden had a sad but laughable depth. I do not follow anybody on twitter, but among others, I read Alex's consistently at the site.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d9b5324c01f
deactivated-63d9b5324c01f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I'm gonna get a lot of snarky comments for this, but if any of you have depression or anxieties, I recommend you take a serious attempt at meditation. I had dysthymic depression for 6 years and it worked wonders.

I also recommend Eckhart Tolle's books. They're pretty much the best books you can ever read if you are depressed.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have all the respect in the world for that dude, he's super fucking sharp and almost always on point.... But MAN I cannot stand the way people are using Twitter. I guess to each his own, but using a 140 word dumb ass mini blog site to talk about something that serious seems ridiculous, even if it is meant with a world of sincerety, which I'm sure it is.

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PoorTommy

@hammondoftexas: <>

I have myself been a fan of his, as well as the rest of the crew, for quite some time. To be frank, I think it's hard not to find charm in people who can string up as crazy and foolhardy as a review as was for Def Jam Vendetta.

Loading Video...

There is this review and diverse other moments of which he has been in that I quite enjoy, in fact there are probably enough to fill a "Why We Like Alex" type of thing, but I don't want to make this plainly about that. Mostly, I just wanted myself and others to express that we appreciate the things he does, which in his state must be prodigious tasks. For being on the Bombin' in the AM twice every week, attending those densely populated PAX panels,and a host of other things, we salute and congratulate you.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My respect for Alex has gone though the roof after reading this, as a person who also deals with anxiety issues it means a lot seeing him come forward about this

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Alex is hands-down the best writer on this site. I adore his work. I remember reading his Homefront review vividly and occasionally go back to it but I couldn't tell you if I played that game or not. His acerbic attitude and inherent pessimism are what you see on the surface but the more of his work you consume the more genuine enthusiasm and passion you find.

If you're reading this @alex, all the best. You're fantastic at what you do and you're one of the reasons I frequent this site so often. Hell, Bombin's in the AM is up there with the bombcast for me purely because I want to know what's going on with you and Patrick. Keep doing what you're doing because you help make this site the awesome place it is to be.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex is a fuckin' rad dude. I like him a lot.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's telling that even for not being in the main Giant Bomb office, I always think of Alex as an integral member of the team. Keep on being awesome duder!

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nick

When I first started visiting gamespot, I don't know how many year ago, I didn't like Alex, I thought he was annoying and generally avoided his videos. I don't know when that changed but I really enjoy his content on GB, he seems like an intelligent guy with well thought out opinions, and I love the stuff he's doing in NY with Vinndog.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#28 gamer_152  Moderator

I'm very sorry to hear Alex has been going through that, anxiety like that is a horrible thing for any person to have to face. His progress is inspiring though and I continue to appreciate his work on the site. I know everyone is not into his style but I like his dry, slightly cynical delivery and the sharp insight that he provides into games and films.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex freaking rocks and I admire much of what he's done at GB! I enjoy watching him discuss with Patrick about the game industry on Bombin' the AM and him and Vinny are a great QL/Encyclopedia duo. Plus, his wrestling Encyclopedia Bombasticas are awesome. He's also had some great QL's back when he was a dual member of both GB and Screened, such as the Kirby's Epic Yarn quick look.

Good for Alex that he seems to be handling these anxiety issues better than what he's had in the past. I wish him the best of luck!

Patchcoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Patchcoat

No worries, Alex. We all think you're a righteous dude!

Loading Video...

Plus, you always (Rorie as well, of course) know your shit when it comes to film, and I respect the hell out of that.

MeAuntieNora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By MeAuntieNora

I'm so glad Alex is a part of GB and I hope he will remain as such for as long as it's good to him!

His conversations with Patrick on Bombin' the AM have been entertaining me and educating me since they started, and his written pieces are easily some of the best material on the site. On top of that, the flat out hilarious moments in Quick Looks, live shows, and streams make me eager to see what the future has in store for GBEast.

It just wouldn't be GB without him!

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anxiety is really rough stuff, and I know that from personal experience. It's super encouraging to see Alex put himself out there despite struggling, and he constantly blows me away with how deep his empathy for others runs. Dude legitimately cares about people, and it's completely obvious from the way that he speaks and forms his thoughts. It's not always easy, but @alex has my full support and encouragement in all his endeavors, both on and off the site. (Is it creepy for me to end this with a cute little <3? I give myself a pass for being a girl.) <3!!!

Also, come on, guys. If people with mental illness hid instead of pursuing the careers they wanted, you'd be missing a huge piece of the entertainment industry. Sometimes having a passion is the best possible way for a person to cope with anxiety or depression or whatever else.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My best friend has generalized anxiety disorder, that shit is no joke. It fucks him up, we'll be hanging out drinking or something and he'll just stare down and/or curl up, shaking, crying quietly and barely able to talk. It's scary as fuck seeing your friend whose otherwise much more of a go-getter than myself just put into that state out of nowhere. He also is extremely ashamed of how helpless he appears when he has an attack, he's said.

He's definitely a guy with more pride than me, he doesn't like when you cross certain lines, he won't take himself feeling dissed and so on, so when I see him have an attack I guess he'll really try to downplay it even though it looks fucking bad.

I guess therefore big up alex for being open like this about it, so it becomes more widely understood how this works.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

30+ posts and all positive (not counting the guy who replied to himself to call himself an idiot). The world can be a nice place. Also, I think Alex is great. He comes across as thoughtful and genuine and the only good thing that came from losing Alex and Rorie on Screened is that we instead got them here.

dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex has come a long way in a short time.

I wasn't really fan when he first started working on Giant Bomb. Mostly because I am not a huge fan of snark when Alex first started working directly on GB he was writing all these really snarky headlines to go along with the different news stories he was posting. Even when he made guest spots on the Bombcast I thought he had a snarky attitude.

But then he started writing the Guns of Navarro features and they were really good (BTW Alex if you are reading this that needs to come back). Then he started doing more reviews and those too were pretty awesome. The big turn around was when he started doing Bombin' in the AM. He is so fantastic in that. Now that he has Vinny in NY with him, they've been killing it with the GB East Quick Looks.

Alex is rad and he should feel rad.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know just reading all these warm messages for Alex, with everyone showing their appreciation has calmed my anxiety for the moment. Real nice to see a community come together like this, feels like a rare sight...maybe I just need to come to the GB forums more

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took a while but Alex really grew on me. It is always fun to have him on bombcasts, UPF, Quick Looks etc. He and I share the same brand of humor and it's awesome GB picked him up then he and Rorie left screened. I hope he continues to stay strong and is able one day to get past his anxieties. He is a cool dude who deserves to be happy.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to finally face my demons and get treatment for my own anxiety and depression a few months ago. It was really difficult to swallow my pride and accept that I could not get better on my own. I'm really glad I did though, it's turned my life around and given me a second lease on life. I only wish I got help earlier. If anyone is feeling depressed or lost or completely unmotivated I really encourage you to at least see a counselor and be brutally honest with them. Trying to beat it by yourself instead of getting help is like climbing a mountain while ignoring the ski lift.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

For what it's worth Alex has been a writing inspiration of mine for like 15 to 20 years now (I forget). A hero; if there is such a thing for writers. He was the first writer I knew the name of at Gamespot next to Kevin Vanord. Even before I knew who Jeff or Ryan were.

While I can empathize, having my own issues, I know at least for me that isn't enough. If he at least knows he has fans, has had for a long time, and who believe in what a good dude he is and what he does is good then I think that can be enough. I feel like I've championed that on these forums before, though.

I don't have anything like that, and this year has been awful in so many ways for me, so this community is one of a few things that keep me going. Well, sometimes.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I just want to give Alex a big old awkward hug. <3

:D

We're all rooting for you Alex.

DasBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DasBoot

Kudos to Alex for this and for doing better. I started getting help for my amazing trio of anxiety, depression, and OCD this year and I'm doing better than I was last year. It's still a struggle but now I got tools to help cope. It's great to have people in the public space, even if it's a niche space, out talking about this stuff and being successful in their field. I wish him the best in 2015!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By ajamafalous

I would give Alex a big hug.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey Alex you're a pretty cool guy. If you ever come to the Netherlands, we should hang out.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By myke_tuna

Alex is a Giant Bomb treasure.

Maybe he's not openly as loved as someone like Vinny or Jeff, but I've always thought Alex was a cool ass guy. I like to think we'd probably be friendly if we spent any time together back in the day.

InsaneGenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he's going through this, then it has to be tough for him and it's good for him to keep on top of it as Giant Bomb East is going to be requiring more air time and more public figure activity. There is nothing wrong with talking your problems through with someone else productively. Many people need it and never seek that help.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have always enjoyed the content Alex put out or was a part of. Dude is a really good writer as well and belongs to the bomb crew as much as the rest. I'm most certainly rooting for him.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to the OP for creating this thread and not making it weird. Nothing but respect for Mr Navarro from me.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Alex is awesome. Full stop.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I should really talk about my observations or go with the flow of the thread and just say some encouraging words and move on.

I'll say this though, Alex is cool and often, funny. I enjoy his input on many of his insights and I do think sometimes he sounds more Jeff than Jeff himself.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex Navarro is a prime duder.

Nothing will stop GBeast. Not poorly plumbed poo pipes or anxiety.