• 79 results
#1 Edited by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

Because I think it's pretty awesome

I've been listening to this band for the last two days and I don't know maybe I have some sort of brain tumor? The combination of j-pop and power metal is triggering some sort of pleasure nerve in my brain I've never experienced before. Like... I don't really like any of that anime stuff or stuff from japan or whatever. I don't like pop music. But these little asian girls have managed to melt my cold dead heart over here.

That blue-haired drummer tho. Right? Has there been a female asian drummer as cool as that?

And I can't get over the awesome vocals from the lead singer in the first video. How she raises up in octaves is pretty impressive to me.

#2 Edited by falserelic (5413 posts) -

Sounds like something from an intro of an action anime.

#3 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4203 posts) -

It almost sounds like A Day To Remember.. Or something..

#4 Posted by cmblasko (1203 posts) -

I don't really listen to it.

#5 Posted by Optix12 (612 posts) -

Everything about this is just great

#6 Edited by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

Nothing can beat this.

#7 Posted by falserelic (5413 posts) -

Nothing can beat this.

I got 5 songs from Yakuza 4 that I listen too when I workout sometimes, those songs are aswome.

#8 Posted by Optix12 (612 posts) -

5 ish minutes of research I really really like Loud Twin Stars. I always give a ton of respect to drummers who sing at the same time.

#9 Edited by Animasta (14677 posts) -

Lol whoever's screaming sounds like the vocalist from Arch Enemy.

not bad, but they aint no Boris

#10 Posted by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

@falserelic: Hell yeah ! This song made the install more fun.

#11 Edited by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

@optix12 said:

5 ish minutes of research I really really like Loud Twin Stars. I always give a ton of respect to drummers who sing at the same time.

I did some...erm... research myself and found that the drummer's name is Hana and she's legit. She's in another band called Gacharic Spin where she does a lot of the singing

#12 Posted by Flacracker (1661 posts) -

No thanks. There is nothing interesting about the instrumentals to make up for the fact that I can't understand the lyrics.

#13 Edited by PenguinDust (12499 posts) -

You should check out a Japanese all-girl band named Scandal.

I first encountered them because one of their songs wound up as an end-credits song for Bleach, but like a lot of bands who have their music featured in anime, they have a good songbook away from the TV shows. [Example] [Example] [Example]

#14 Edited by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

@penguindust:

That was pretty ok. However that's more Modern Rock. I'm into more Heavy Metal, which is what DOLL$BOXX seems to be going for. Thanks for the recommendation though!

#15 Posted by Joe_Wildheart (76 posts) -

@fistfulofmetal It's catchy as hell. Definitely will be listening to more of these. Got anymore bands like this will then I will definitely give them a listen.

#16 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

Not my thing, but fascinating =)

#17 Posted by believer258 (11820 posts) -

Sounds like something from an intro of an action anime.

This and

It almost sounds like A Day To Remember.. Or something..

This. Well, kinda. Like ADTR, but with poppy Japanese alternative rock instead of poppy American punk. Also not as good.

#18 Posted by TooWalrus (13178 posts) -

I am strictly pro Girl Band Japanese Pop Power Metal

...but I'll say anything to get elected.

#19 Edited by Aetheldod (3558 posts) -

I actually thought you were talking about Baby Metal ..... need to see this vids.

Edit: Meh .... not horrible but nothing cool or anything.

#20 Edited by Vonocourt (2127 posts) -

@animasta said:

Which is a good thing, not that many bands can make that level of pretension and experimentation work. Amplifier Worship is really dope though.

#21 Posted by DonChipotle (2731 posts) -

Well I mean, they ain't no Oreskaband, Chatmonchy, or Vanilla Mood but they aight.

#22 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Yep, this is all pretty rad. :D

I like all of these components individually so i don't think it would be possible for me to dislike the combination.

edit--- I now have a lifelong crush on Doll $ Boxx drummer. Cowbell. ♥ Hana is way too attractive. She's a cute Japanese girl (awesome), who wears glasses (awesome), who is in a band (awesome), who by the sounds of it can actually sing (awesome), and plays drums (awesome), and plays said drums pretty damn well (holy shit). And she has a cowbell on her drum rack. What the fuck lady this is too much sexy for one single person. O____O

#26 Posted by killerklown907 (23 posts) -

I actually thought you were talking about Baby Metal ..... need to see this vids.

Edit: Meh .... not horrible but nothing cool or anything.

there is a disappointing lack of BABYMETAL in this thread indeed.

fixed.

#27 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I went to youtube to see if I could find any live recordings of Doll$Boxx. I was curious to what extent they are a studio band moreso than a well rounded live one, and it seems they are all decent musicians with the drummer and pianist being the standouts. Guitarist is iffy but otherwise I'm really impressed. Here's an audio only recording of them doing some sort of jam session during a concert. The first minute is the worst bit and it gets better after that. Guitar is out of tune. Audio is crap but you get the idea:

#28 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

Nothing I can really find is hitting the right combination for me. I may check out the lead singers other band Light Bringer since I believe that's more Power Metal which I think is the key.

#29 Posted by thevisitor451 (13 posts) -

That was actually enjoyable. I tend to like those Anime theme sounding vocals though.

#30 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

It's kinda good, I think? A weird j-power-pop-pun with a some kinda out of place metal vocals.

I could probably dig this.

#31 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -
@alexw00d said:

It's kinda good, I think? A weird j-power-pop-pun with a some kinda out of place metal vocals.

I could probably dig this.

What sucks is that they have only 1 album. And their style seems unique to themselves so I'm left with listening to this one album over and over. and over. for the rest of my life.

#32 Posted by PandaBear (1363 posts) -

I often find Asian pop music to be contrived ... like I get the the straight J- or K-pop stars because they have an endearing quality to them, but when they venture into anything else it sounds like a band put together by a committee. There's nothing organic about them. If they were American girls people would laugh at them or claim they were trying too hard...

I dunno, that's my two cents.

#33 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

I often find Asian pop music to be contrived ... like I get the the straight J- or K-pop stars because they have an endearing quality to them, but when they venture into anything else it sounds like a band put together by a committee. There's nothing organic about them. If they were American girls people would laugh at them or claim they were trying too hard...

It's the 'straight j or k-pop stars' that are put together by agencies though...

#34 Edited by Fistfulofmetal (683 posts) -

OK GUYS. The lead singers other band Light Bringer is basically this, but STRAIGHT UP POWER METAL.

I've found my fix.

#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

For whatever reason, I find this relevant:

#36 Posted by Wolfgame (709 posts) -

@fistfulofmetal: I hadn't really thought about this style of music working, but I guess it can... I've followed many of the more well known power metal bands for awhile, I couldn't see me adding this in particular to a playlist. But, I could understand the appeal. That said Galneryus is japanese powermetal band, but its not female focused. They are pretty good though.

#37 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

Horny?

#38 Posted by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

@animasta said:

Speaking of Arch Enemy:

Chris Amott did the solo. :)

#39 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

Melt Banana

#40 Posted by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

I do also appreciate how the japanese still follow proper metal song structure by having full guitar solos in pretty much all their songs. America has lingered away from that a bit.

I love japanese music. All their songs kinda go with a 'cheesy' chordal progression with their songs but I like it. I don't call it cheesy myself but that's what most musicians I hear call it, for lack of a better term.

#41 Posted by PandaBear (1363 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@pandabear said:

It's the 'straight j or k-pop stars' that are put together by agencies though...

Oh yeah totally... I know. But I feel they are more transparent about it. The rest feel manufactured to appear real.

#42 Edited by Stonyman65 (2681 posts) -

That's not bad really. It's a shame I can't understand Japanese though so I have no idea what they are singing about.

#43 Posted by Stonyman65 (2681 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

I do also appreciate how the japanese still follow proper metal song structure by having full guitar solos in pretty much all their songs. America has lingered away from that a bit.

I love japanese music. All their songs kinda go with a 'cheesy' chordal progression with their songs but I like it. I don't call it cheesy myself but that's what most musicians I hear call it, for lack of a better term.

Yeah, I agree with that. Lots of Major chord progressions, everything sounds so happy. In contrast, most metal is written mostly in Minor keys so it sounds sad and angry.

#44 Edited by AlKusanagi (917 posts) -

BABYMETAL is where it's at. And all there stuff is even on US iTunes.

Also, the all girl metal band Aldious is pretty badass.

#45 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

Why do they all look like they're 10?

... ermm.. anywho, not really my type of music. Kind of gives me a headache.

#46 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

I've had my fair share of JPOP/JROCK over the years - I really got into it at one point. I don't think this is anything too different - OP, if you like this, give maybe Maximum the Hormone a listen. The drummer in this band is also a chick who does backing vocals. (You're gonna have to give that video a bit of a chance, you don't see the band until 1/2 way through or so).

#47 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

at Babymetal I think only one song is really good and that is the first one. Everything i have heard of them after that is really not that good. The idea back than was interesting though^^

#48 Posted by Gnorbooth (284 posts) -

Actually really grooving on this. After having listened to pretty much everything they have so far (one album?), my biggest critique is the guitar tone lacks, well, "balls". Normally listening to power metal grates on me after a while cause it's always in a major key, but I guess the J-Pop sensibilities just blast me through it. The solo section on Merrily High Go Round is a highlight with it's high-octane drum syncopation, ostinato keyboard lick, and a guitar solo that's legit as hell. Genuine well-crafted songwriting on that bit.

#49 Posted by SharkEthic (1043 posts) -

Ugh, this is just all kinds of awful...but whatever, to each his own.

#50 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Most famous bands ar pt together that way but with idol groups in japan it is really extreme. But there are a lot of great "normal" bands in Japan and Korea. For example this one.