#1 Edited by afrofools (1312 posts) -

Introduction

• The game's story and gameplay mechanics involve time-travel and an evil conspiracy.
  • There will be Giant Bomb references. But this is not meant to be explicitly "Giant Bomb: The Game," for copyright reasons.
  • The game will be released free.

Links

Some links require team membership.

• Forum and IRC
  • File Drive - Drag "Community Game Project" from "Shared with me" to "My drive", then download and install google drive app.
#2 Edited by JJOR64 (18891 posts) -

This sounds really cool. Hopefully we can get some duders to kick this off. For me sadly, I'm dumb as rocks when it comes to this kind of stuff.

#3 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

This sounds really cool. Hopefully we can get some duders to kick this off. For me sadly, I'm dumb as rocks when it comes to this kind of stuff.

You can be an ideas guy if you can't make graphics. Say what would be cool to have in a game.

#4 Edited by damswedon (3173 posts) -

I have no technical or artistic skill but here is a dumb idea for a game.

A diner dash game with morality.

You start with a lemonade stand and have to work your way up to worldwide soft drink corporation, after each level you have to choose one of two upgrades e.g. hire a helper or bully someone into helping you. Each choice offers different benefits and disadvantages, so if you hire help it costs money but the quality of the lemonade is high.

#5 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Can I make some stuff for the soundtrack? I've been trying to get some of my stuff out there in games :D

#6 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

This is crazy and stupid and amazing.

#7 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@damswedon said:

I have no technical or artistic skill but here is a dumb idea for a game.

A diner dash game with morality.

You start with a lemonade stand and have to work your way up to worldwide soft drink corporation, after each level you have to choose one of two upgrades e.g. hire a helper or bully someone into helping you. Each choice offers different benefits and disadvantages, so if you hire help it costs money but the quality of the lemonade is high.

Sounds cool. Strategic lemonade market domination game, run by the evil Sour Juice Co.

@mscupcakes said:

Can I make some stuff for the soundtrack? I've been trying to get some of my stuff out there in games :D

Hell yeah. Looking forward to hearing it :)

@ShadowConqueror said:

This is crazy and stupid and amazing.
#8 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

New World Order! THE VIDEO GAME!

Either that or:

Human Hunter: Duck's revenge

So I guess i'm out as Idea Guy #2.... sigh...

#9 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

New World Order! THE VIDEO GAME!

Either that or:

Human Hunter: Duck's revenge

So I guess i'm out as Idea Guy #2.... sigh...

Hey you know there will be more than one game, as there's virtually no limits.

It's so bizarre, that duck hunting game would be awesome, someone might make it.

#10 Edited by Chaser324 (6263 posts) -

I'm a software engineer, so I'd possibly be willing to throw down some code.

First piece of advice, you're going to need to figure out sharing data in the group, and you'll probably want a separate repository (git or svn) for managing the code. If you're willing to allow the code to be open source, you can probably just use a free public GitHub repo for the code.

#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Damn, I wish I had skills to help out. I can't wait to see what the community comes up with. I may be able to help with the story/concepts portion.

Giant Bomb crew + Time Machines + Mounted Dinosaur + Space Jousting = ???

#12 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

So do you want us to make a game together? Because that would be awesome. I definitely want to help out in some way.

Edit: Silly iPhone, it's definitely not defiantly...

#13 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

First piece of advice, you're going to need to figure out sharing data in the group, and you'll probably want a separate repository (git or svn) for managing the code. If you're willing to allow the code to be open source, you can probably just use a free public GitHub repo for the code.

Good to have you onboard, any code would be much appreciated.

Yes that's a good idea for the code, maybe we could start a Github organisation. We could embed some noteworthy gists here as well.

@BraveToaster said:

Damn, I wish I had skills to help out. I can't wait to see what the community comes up with. I may be able to help with the story/concepts portion.

Giant Bomb crew + Time Machines + Mounted Dinosaur + Space Jousting = ???

We'd have to get permission from Whiskey/Gamespot/Giantbomb, but I'm sure they'd be down with that.

@SexyToad said:

So do you want us to make a game together? Because that would be awesome. I defiantly want to help out in some way.

Yes please. JOIN US

#14 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Just tell me once this gets started how I can help in anyway!

#15 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Just tell me once this gets started how I can help in anyway!

It starts now. Just contribute whatever you can, for one of the game ideas above or your own. Some stuff will work across games. As more people join-in there will be more ideas and pieces that can be mashed together. Say you wanted to make an FPS like Doom, you could start making something that would be a part of that game, from wall graphics to punching sounds (punch a cabbage - DO IT). Even if everyone is making stuff for different things, there will be many opportunities created to start building games. Eventually the majority of people will gather around one idea, and that will be given the most attention. But that won't stop you from working on a different game, and you can use the same assets, so it's all good. Some people may even try working on every game idea.

The most popular ideas in the forum will be turned into a survey, and whichever gets the most votes becomes the main game for the project, so people who only want to work on one thing with lots of support will go for that.

#16 Edited by MrVideoGames (30 posts) -

@Chaser324: This is going to be ess@Chaser324 said:

Someone should pull the trigger, as this is the first step :)

How about we make the worst game ever! Its a seriers of challenge rooms where the player has to use bugs to solve each game screen and move onto the next. For example: Corner jumping to beat a room, Get a UI element to get stuck on the screen, make a sound effect loop, you know gameplay!

#17 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@MrVideoGames said:

@Chaser324: This is going to be ess@Chaser324 said:

Someone should pull the trigger, as this is the first step :)

How about we make the worst game ever! Its a seriers of challenge rooms where the player has to use bugs to solve each game screen and move onto the next. For example: Corner jumping to beat a room, Get a UI element to get stuck on the screen, make a sound effect loop, you know gameplay!

That happened in Portal, which is heaps fun. Maybe you're onto something.

#18 Posted by Thompson820 (410 posts) -

It would be a good idea to create a list of people and their field so people know who's available to do what.

I've got a nice professional microphone, so I'd be happy to record some sound effects for people.

#19 Edited by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

Hey!

I'm a programmer currently working on a indie mobile game, but I can definitely contribute, so sign me up as a programmer :)

I'm experienced in C, C++, C#, PHP, jQuery, ActionScript 3, FLEX. I also have some minor experiences with OpenGL.

So what is it exactly that you want? For the whole community, i.e. this topic to decide on a game to make and everyone pitches in, or just as a code & resource repository where people can share stuff they make to be used in game development ?

If it's the former, we probably need someone to step up and helm the project so to speak, if it's the latter, I could share the sourcecode of my nooblet beginnings of making a 2.5D platformer in C++ with OpenGL. It's basically just me testing out the capabilties of OpenGL, but it features stuff like a particle engine, lighting and reflections. I could also share a basic C implementation of the amazing Jump Point Search algorithm.

#20 Posted by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

This is rather intriguing. Thanks for formulating this idea.

I might be able to do some art, depending on what kind of game people want to make. I don't have all the time in the world, but I could probably contribute some. I primarily work in concept art and some 3D modelling through Maya. I have also done 2D sprites before for some projects.

As for ideas, I wonder if we should make the next Breaking Brad game. ha. Something difficult, but with love. And perhaps we should try to enlist the help of the genius behind the Persona 4 versions of the Giant Bomb crew. He already has the character portraits down if he'd be willing to have them in a game. (in case they might fit the type of game being made, of course)

#21 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@Thompson820 said:

It would be a good idea to create a list of people and their field so people know who's available to do what.

I've got a nice professional microphone, so I'd be happy to record some sound effects for people.

Good Idea, listing people is definitely a smart way of handling the projecft.

@Bio2hazard said:

Hey!

I'm a programmer currently working on a indie mobile game, but I can definitely contribute, so sign me up as a programmer :)

I'm experienced in C, C++, PHP, jQuery, ActionScript 3, FLEX. I also have some minor experiences with OpenGL.

So what is it exactly that you want? For the whole community, i.e. this topic to decide on a game to make and everyone pitches in, or just as a code & resource repository where people can share stuff they make to be used in game development ?

If it's the former, we probably need someone to step up and helm the project so to speak, if it's the latter, I could share the sourcecode of my nooblet beginnings of making a 2.5D platformer in C++ with OpenGL. It's basically just me testing out the capabilties of OpenGL, but it features stuff like a particle engine, lighting and reflections. I could also share a basic C implementation of the amazing Jump Point Search algorithm.

Yes, please do join :)

It's a bit of both. Someone is going to have to take the helms and guide the production of the primary game. But there will be people who would like to explore other ideas and it would be cool if more than one game came out of this project. If everything works out, then the repository will become useful for "Let's Make A Game 2013" and so on. One doesn't have to come at the expense of the other.

#22 Edited by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

On a side note, shouldn't we at least embrace some kind of theme? Like, even if it's just Giant Bomb-related? I mean, when given absolute freedom for ideas for creating something, it's often difficult to really pare down something. You sort of need a box so that you can test the boundaries and even think outside of it. So, perhaps establishing some kind of theme would be advantageous? Just an initial thought.

#23 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

Oh awesome! I 'd like to see how this turns out... I was just thinking about one idea the other day of a game that sort of parodies scenes and parts from other games and such but not taking anything directly from those games. I don't think it's that original but meh I just thought it would be funny. I'm not really an idea person anyway, it just randomly popped into my head that day.

I'm a music person and such. I 'll see if I can do anything useful later on though. My motivation and recording have been a bit blegh lately.

#24 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@TruthTellah:

Yes, we should establish a theme. Everyone has equal choice, so I won't be the one choosing what happens. Glad to have your abilities.

@kogasu:

Thanks, the more musicians and synthers the better :)

#25 Posted by IzzyGraze (849 posts) -

Why not do that Giantbomb fighting game that someone made a mock prototype of. The staff members of characters+giantbomb regulars like cool baby and the pope. That would be an easy enough start (animated original assets ofcourse).

There was also that Giantbomb text adventure that was pretty cool. Another one of those would be nice but you know...more polished, longer, and more elaborate.

I'll think of more ideas tomorrow but those would be nice ones to start if people liked the idea. Fighting game especially would give people something to do. Just a question, do we want to keep it 2d or is 3d an option. That helps for limiting ideas.

#26 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@IzzyGraze said:

Why not do that Giantbomb fighting game that someone made a mock prototype of. The staff members of characters+giantbomb regulars like cool baby and the pope. That would be an easy enough start (animated original assets ofcourse).

There was also that Giantbomb text adventure that was pretty cool. Another one of those would be nice but you know...more polished, longer, and more elaborate.

I'll think of more ideas tomorrow but those would be nice ones to start if people liked the idea. Fighting game especially would give people something to do. Just a question, do we want to keep it 2d or is 3d an option. That helps for limiting ideas.

We will find out about the 2d/3d. If it is 3D there may be less people who can contribute, I can only just barely draw a box in Blender myself. But if there is enough people who want to do 3D maybe 2d artists can create textures, menus, UI, and background images.

#27 Posted by Aegon (5377 posts) -

Here's an idea you can use for one of the tracks. If someone likes it, they can try to make a more professional version.

#28 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@Aegon: Cool, did you make it?

#29 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

WE NEED THE FULLY-DIGITIZED GIANT BOMB FIGHTING GAME ASAP. GET TO IT.

#30 Posted by NeVeRMoRe666 (262 posts) -

I'm a lawyer in Canada in real life...I don't know if that adds anything...

#31 Posted by Aegon (5377 posts) -

@afrofools said:

I was just fooling around on the keyboard then this came out for whatever reason. I'm not anywhere close to a pro, but I've had people agree that this track is actually pretty good and I think if someone could remake it with the proper techniques and add some of their own ideas to it, I think it could make for a good video game track.

#32 Posted by joemarch (25 posts) -

Sign me up as a programmer,

I know c/c++ and have experience with openGL so if anyone needs any examples or pseudocode or even just general advice I'll be around when I'm not working on my own game

#33 Posted by Ducksworth (659 posts) -

I'd love to contribute as a programmer if you'll have me. I'm not the most knowledgable guy but I have some experience with C++, C#, OpenGL, Python and some other good stuff.

#34 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@afrofools said:

I was just fooling around on the keyboard then this came out for whatever reason. I'm not anywhere close to a pro, but I've had people agree that this track is actually pretty good and I think if someone could remake it with the proper techniques and add some of their own ideas to it, I think it could make for a good video game track.

I really like what you did. I'll add you as a musician to the list.

@joemarch said:

Sign me up as a programmer,

I know c/c++ and have experience with openGL so if anyone needs any examples or pseudocode or even just general advice I'll be around when I'm not working on my own game

@Ducksworth said:

I'd love to contribute as a programmer if you'll have me. I'm not the most knowledgable guy but I have some experience with C++, C#, OpenGL, Python and some other good stuff.

PM me your GitHub usernames and I'll invite you to the Organisation. Don't worry, it doesn't publish your activity to your personal public activity feed unless you click a button somewhere that says, "make public."

#35 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@Snail said:

WE NEED THE FULLY-DIGITIZED GIANT BOMB FIGHTING GAME ASAP. GET TO IT.

Yip

@NeVeRMoRe666 said:

You could review our license wording if you want.

#36 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@NeVeRMoRe666 said:

I'd say that's a concept worthy of a whole video game.

@Aegon said:

Regardless of the quality of the recording, I really like what you've got going on with that track. Nice work!

#37 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

I can help pimp it out and tell folks about it. I'd be glad to help.

#38 Posted by Dudders (11 posts) -

Sounds like a great idea! giant bomb themed would help get the community interested. If you guys feel like heading for 3D then I can definitely help out. Thought would be nice to not be the only one modelling stuff ;)

You can check some of my stuff out at willdudley.co.uk. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you're sticking with 2d.

#39 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@Ravenlight: Thanks for being one of the first to provide feedback to others :)

@Phatmac: Good to have you on the team.

#40 Posted by DrFlapjack (233 posts) -

I'm mainly a 3d animator, but I can also model and rig. I'm pretty busy, but if you end up with a 3d game and modeled/rigged characters I'd gladly lend a hand.

#41 Posted by Aegon (5377 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@NeVeRMoRe666 said:

I'd say that's a concept worthy of a whole video game.

@Aegon said:

Regardless of the quality of the recording, I really like what you've got going on with that track. Nice work!

Yeah, I had to work some magic to even be able to get a crappy recording of it. I just didn't want the idea to die without being recorded. Maybe something will come of it now.

And thanks for the compliment.

#42 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@DrFlapjack said:

I'm mainly a 3d animator, but I can also model and rig. I'm pretty busy, but if you end up with a 3d game and modeled/rigged characters I'd gladly lend a hand.

Cool. At the moment the survey says everyone wants to make a 2D game. But we'll hit you up if there's any 3D.

#43 Edited by Demokk (145 posts) -

I'd love to contribute as a 3D artist / Texture artist. I am an aspiring game artist, months away from earning my degree. I'm available a few days a week due to school.

Here is some of the stuff I have done (have not updated in a couple of months, will update soon): http://demokk.deviantart.com/

#44 Posted by vikingdeath1 (925 posts) -

With what little skill I have with Business (i'm simply a business student at university) I offer my services!

Hell I dunno, if you need someone to mock up an income statement or something, I only want to see this succeed!

#45 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Okay so I guess I would be a idea guy. Or whatever is needed. So sign me up as labor Toad?

#46 Posted by tariqari (430 posts) -

Put me down for sound effects, Game Design (Gameplay, Ideas, and tricks), and Story and Concepts

I'm a film production and creative writing major so this fits my bill and I think it would be a great experience for all. I own all of the equipment of a profession film production company (xlr mics, pre amp sound recorder (zoom H4n), panasonic agaf100 video cam, lighting equipment, tripods, greenscreens, and adobe master collection cs5.5). I am also learning python over the next 12 weeks so it's possible I could assist with coding.

I would love to be on board with this project! I'm pretty much willing to do anything and everything. I am particularly hoping to help out with the creative side (story and script writing), sound effects, and what ever trailers we'll need once the project is done. pm and we can trade skype's and emails.

Tari

#47 Posted by DrFlapjack (233 posts) -

@afrofools: Depending on the type of 2d you do I can animate 2d planes in a 3d environment, like paper cutout style.

#48 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

I can write music and do sound effects.

Here is my portfolio site: www.metzopaino.com (if anyone wanted to work together for any other projects feel free to get in touch).

Word of warning though, these community projects always seem to flounder as they near half way through. Would a gamejam type event that was only a week long and focussed on the crazy not be a better idea?

#49 Edited by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@tariqari said:

Put me down for sound effects, Game Design (Gameplay, Ideas, and tricks), and Story and Concepts

I'm a film production and creative writing major so this fits my bill and I think it would be a great experience for all. I own all of the equipment of a profession film production company (xlr mics, pre amp sound recorder (zoom H4n), panasonic agaf100 video cam, lighting equipment, tripods, greenscreens, and adobe master collection cs5.5). I am also learning python over the next 12 weeks so it's possible I could assist with coding.

I would love to be on board with this project! I'm pretty much willing to do anything and everything. I am particularly hoping to help out with the creative side (story and script writing), sound effects, and what ever trailers we'll need once the project is done. pm and we can trade skype's and emails.

Tari

I put you down as multi-talented. Welcome aboard.

@DrFlapjack said:

@afrofools: Depending on the type of 2d you do I can animate 2d planes in a 3d environment, like paper cutout style.

I thought about that. Glad someone can actually do it. More people want a game, but most of the members with graphics skills are surprisingly 3D artists. As with 3D games requiring 2D art, 2D games can exist in 3D environments, and feature 3D objects. For example to everyone else reading: Rochard is a 3D game, but the movements are in 2D space. We could make that cleverly mixes 2D and 3D graphics, with movements in 2D space, and everything actually existing in a 3D space (mind blown). Think of Paper Mario as an example of 2D graphics with 2d movements, in a 3D space.

Some Examples:

#50 Posted by afrofools (1312 posts) -

@Metzo_Paino said:

I can write music and do sound effects.

Here is my portfolio site: www.metzopaino.com (if anyone wanted to work together for any other projects feel free to get in touch).

Word of warning though, these community projects always seem to flounder as they near half way through. Would a gamejam type event that was only a week long and focussed on the crazy not be a better idea?

We'll naively push on and it will happen, I did all my quitting of things in 2010. Screw gamejams ;). Welcome to the TEAM :) Just checked out your work, super awesome. @Demokk: Checked out your 3D work too, it's great.