#201 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -
@Aegon said:

@mscupcakes said:

@mandude: Hey, would I be able to add some percussion to that track? As soon as I listened to it I had something in mind.

@SexyToad: Thanks a lot! :D I'm glad you like it.

I'm not mandude, but I say do it. I think it'd be cool if people posted their music and others added or reworked it and later on it can be decided which tracks are used.

Yeah, sure. Go for it. I actually had drums in mind, but I'm currently in the process of recovering my drum VST, and recording real drums is far too much work for me. :(
#202 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

@mandude: awesome, can you make it downloadable on soundcloud so I can mess around with it? :D

#203 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -
@mscupcakes said:

@mandude: awesome, can you make it downloadable on soundcloud so I can mess around with it? :D

Done. Haha, still figuring out this whole SoundCloud thing.
#204 Posted by Aegon (5759 posts) -

I have a question. Can all of us advise on any part of the project? I'm also interested in the story aspect and was just wondering whether that's limited to only particular users.

#205 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -
@Aegon said:

I have a question. Can all of us advise on any part of the project? I'm also interested in the story aspect and was just wondering whether that's limited to only particular users.

Agreed. I think we should have at least some input. If we're not able to make suggestions, we could at least be able to give feedback on the suggestions already made. It affects us all in some way.
#206 Posted by Chops037 (22 posts) -

Hi, I'm maybe a bit late but I'd love to help out in any way I can...

I'm sort of an artist - I mainly draw and paint game and comic book characters and can work in a variety of styles. I've done a little bit of sprite design and dabbled in some game design ideas too.

I can play the guitar badly (should the game require a slightly 'off' sounding acoustic vibe) and I've always been interested in tackling a writing project of some kind.

If there's anything I can do then please sign me up!

#207 Edited by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

@mandude: I threw something together just now. I hope you don't mind that I shred over it a bit with my electric piano. It's pretty rough, but it should give you a good idea of the drums :D

#208 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -
@mscupcakes: Haha, that was surprising. Yeah, pretty cool. :D It will mean it can be much longer (and less repetitive if it needs to loop) now, too. We should sort out a system by which we can download each track of a song separately, so we can mess around with and pan them more easily. You were kinda stuck with what I did for that one.
#209 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

@mandude: Hmm, that might be tricky, but not impossible. We could make a shared dropbox folder or something along those lines.

#210 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@mscupcakes: It mightn't be so tricky so much as tedious. We could make a separate folder in Drive for each individual song and then just upload the song and all the tracks separately. I'll try that out now...

#211 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

@mandude: Might work, although positioning for certain tracks might be a bit messed up. What program do you use? We could try sharing logic project files if you use Logic too.

#212 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@mscupcakes: If you solo a single track and render it to .wav or something, it should keep the position. I use Reaper, because I'm a cheap fucker. I guess Logic is Apple?

#213 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

@mandude: Yeah, it's Mac only. And I'm not sure if it's program files are compatible with any windows software. (Maybe Fruity Loops?) I could try bouncing each individual track, but be forewarned, an average song for me has about 30 tracks or more since I use a lot of instruments and textures.

#214 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@mscupcakes said:

@mandude: Yeah, it's Mac only. And I'm not sure if it's program files are compatible with any windows software. (Maybe Fruity Loops?) I could try bouncing each individual track, but be forewarned, an average song for me has about 30 tracks or more since I use a lot of instruments and textures.

Ah, well that's a shame. Haha, I figured as much. :D Hmm. I guess that's too unwieldy for you then.

#215 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

@mandude: Well I have no problem working with tracks like the one you uploaded if you want to keep working like that, if you make a longer version I can do the drums from scratch again. :D

#216 Posted by tariqari (431 posts) -

What's the status of the Plot/direction of the game? Are we going to have a survey on that soon? So for we only have three solid plots worked out that I could tell from the brain dump folder (me, ghostiet's, and SexyToads). I say by tomorrow night we raise another survey to determine the plot and then we can move on to the actual game design and script. Anyone agree?

#217 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

@tariqari: I'll pm all the ideas duders and we'll see what comes out of that.

#218 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

@mscupcakes said:

@mandude: Well I have no problem working with tracks like the one you uploaded if you want to keep working like that, if you make a longer version I can do the drums from scratch again. :D

Well we could always just do it on a track by track basis. I suppose we're fine as long as the final tracks are all mixed properly. Some of my tracks will be pretty unwieldy too...

I'm not sure how I'd make it longer. It's actually made sure it was modular when I was recording it, but I'm not sure how you'd set it up in your DAW to be the same.

#219 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

Okay so I sent the pm out and hopefully we can narrow down the idea a bit. But for now sleep.

#220 Edited by afrofools (1357 posts) -

@Aegon: @tariqari: Fattony is handling the story management. The idea isn't for him to write the whole story. While I have trouble putting it into words, having someone steer the ship is better than having everyone going crazy with their own ideas. Bio2Hazard and Chase324 are the top-dogs so to speak on the Code area, they provide guidance to the other coders.

I changed it to commercial after some people started voicing their desires for a commercial product. I am now unsure what the hell is going on. They could just be the vocal minority. When I started this whole thing I intended it to be a single free game that is made by the Giant Bomb community. I didn't want it themed after GB. I wanted everyone to collectively build an assets and share them (as we are doing), but with an open license so that more awesome games could be made with the same resources. I also thought about doing this whole thing again next year, but with access to the same resources. We would continually build up this amazing library of assets, and games, satisfying our creative impulses. So if you want you should create a form on Google Docs and embed it here (you have admin edit powers). I have been trying to accomodate everyone's needs to avoid having a competing community project.

Whether free or commercial, I'm just doing it for the love.

EDIT: People having competing game projects, but not creating another assets repository is not something I would discourage ;) So if you don't like the main game, make something else using the resources available. But remember, to use those assets for commercial reasons you will need permissions from each creator whose work you used.

#221 Edited by afrofools (1357 posts) -

EDIT: I had a form here deciding on free or commercial. Free was chosen. Now accepting many members again, and Fattony will be eventually making a poll to sift through all the ideas people's stories.

#222 Posted by tariqari (431 posts) -

This last survey seems to be suggesting in it self what direction we should take.

#223 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

Shit. I cast a vote for free without entering my email address.

#224 Edited by Fattony12000 (7588 posts) -

I just sent this PM to all those involved, but I wanted to make sure that everyone sees this:

As the manager-type person (also, UK-based, so that's why I'm typing this at a weird time for some of you) I want everyone here to go back and read the very first page of the main Giant Bomb thread (http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/lets-make-a-game-2012/562449/).

That big white section of the page with the purple and red text is me. If everyone who has stuff to submit can follow the guidelines that I've written up in that lovely red colour, I will handle the dissemination of information to the rest of the community (putting things up for scrutiny and voting under a poll).

For your pleasure, I have copied what I wrote in that dope red text, here for y'all:

Beginning

1. Plot - Fattony12000 will try and handle the management of this.

I want to start taking people’s ideas on concepts, themes, characters and major plot points. I therefore want written submissions from those that have stuff to say. To this end, I would like to receive from you:

1) A cast of characters (at least the ones with major/recurring roles), along with brief descriptions of their personality and part in the story.

2) A list of the main locations/settings that we will visit throughout the game, provide a short descriptive passage to convey look and feel. Provide images/video/audio if you want.

3) A 500(ish) word synopsis of the plot.

4) Examples from any other forms of art that you are taking inspiration from, provide supplementary text/video/images/anything to help illustrate points that you want to express.

I am going to create a Google Docs/Drive thing where I can view and collate all of these ideas. For now, just start writing, you are more than welcome to submit multiple ideas.

End

This means I want your submissions to look like this:

Beginning

1) CAST OF CHARACTERS

NameRoleDescription
SomeoneProtagonistJust really a great all round duder
SomeoneAntagonistJust really a super evil prick
SomethingNarratorJust really helpful and not annoying at all
SomehowLove interestJust really totally bang tidy

2) LOCATION AND SETTING

Somewhere, America - Starting location of game.

Somewhere, Grimsby - The stunning conclusion to the game takes place in this seaport on the Humber Estuary in Lincolnshire.

3) PLOT SYNOPSIS

Words. Words. Words.

4) SUPPLEMENTARY REFERENCES

End

I want each of you to have your ideas laid out like that, with the headers and tables and stuff all in the same order as what I've just shown you. I want these ideas to be put into a Google Doc that you own, don't share or write down your final submissions anywhere else. What I want you to do then is this:

Click this
Then click this
PM (Fattony12000) or email (giantbombgame@gmail.com) me the embed code

You're welcome to submit more than one idea, but you must have only one idea per Google Doc. This method of sharing the document allows everyone to read it but not to make any changes to it, only you can do that. This method also allows you to edit the document just like normal, and the changes then get automatically updated for everyone to see a few second later.

I say we give writers at least this weekend before they HAVE to submit stuff (there is NO official deadline as of yet), I will talk to others but I think we've got to give a bit of time for people to formulate something good, or write down a few different options.

Thanks duders!

#225 Posted by DrFlapjack (249 posts) -

@Chops037 said:

Hi, I'm maybe a bit late but I'd love to help out in any way I can...

I'm sort of an artist - I mainly draw and paint game and comic book characters and can work in a variety of styles. I've done a little bit of sprite design and dabbled in some game design ideas too.

I can play the guitar badly (should the game require a slightly 'off' sounding acoustic vibe) and I've always been interested in tackling a writing project of some kind.

If there's anything I can do then please sign me up!

Hey Chops, we could certainly use more artists. A lot is still being decided, we are very early in the planning process. If you'd like to show some of your work or try to help develop an art style visit these forums

#226 Posted by afrofools (1357 posts) -

@Fattony12000: Thank you. Close that last survey when you are satisfied with the amount of responses. Form > Stop accepting responses.

@DrFlapjack: Those plant monsters look really cool. Hopefully we can do both Urban and Natural style environments for this game to explore all these crazy ideas.

#227 Posted by Tebbit (4480 posts) -

No more musicians!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh well. I will watch this project with interest, from afar. It's a cool idea!

#228 Posted by Fattony12000 (7588 posts) -

LOOK WHAT I MADE IN MAYA AND BLENDER.

I AM THE JENOVA CHEN OF VIDEO GAMES.

I want to reiterate that I'm not looking for final submissions for story RIGHT AWAY. Therefore, I am tentatively putting out a deadline of midnight on Monday the 8th of October, 2012. Would duders be cool with that? I would then be looking to put up a Giant Bomb poll for people to vote in (with all of the submissions embedded inside), probably on the Tuesday. Does that sound like a thing?

I would also like to address a point that brings up...

Should we really be turning away anyone who wants to help out? Especially in areas like music where I just flat out think that the more people we have making things = more things to choose from in the end.

#229 Posted by LassieME (233 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

I want to reiterate that I'm not looking for final submissions for story RIGHT AWAY. Therefore, I am tentatively putting out a deadline of midnight on Monday the 8th of October, 2012. Would duders be cool with that? I would then be looking to put up a Giant Bomb poll for people to vote in (with all of the submissions embedded inside), probably on the Tuesday. Does that sound like a thing?

I would also like to address a point that brings up...

Should we really be turning away anyone who wants to help out? Especially in areas like music where I just flat out think that the more people we have making things = more things to choose from in the end.

I agree, the more people we have making music and art for this the better.

#230 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

Was busy today so I havn't gotten much done on the project. Apologies.

How are the game design documents looking as far as stats and such go ? Any idea on combat ? Is it gonna take place in a transitioned place or same place ?

I have some ideas on how to expand on that initial prototype I made, but the more information I can get regarding what to put in, the better :)

#231 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Whether or not the game is free, I'd like to set up a bandcamp page for the soundtrack once all of the tracks are finished. We could have it as a "pay what you want" type thing or if the rest of the musicians want we can have a fixed price.

#232 Posted by DarkMage530 (6 posts) -

Hey I'm still relatively new to GiantBomb but this project seems really interesting and I am a Programmer. Seeing as I'm still learning a lot at my job, I don't know how much help I can be, but I'd like to try and contribute what I can. My github account darkmage530 my email is darkmage530@gmail.com I have the most experience in Java, Groovy(Griffon/Grails), and with varying experience in the C languages (C, C++, C#). I've never worked with the Unity Engine but I would love to start learning. I'm bookmarking this and will try and be active in it.

#233 Posted by DrFlapjack (249 posts) -

Anyone interested- I've come up with a concept for an animation style and would like to know what everyone thinks along with coming up with your own styles. You can find it in this thread here.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Unity, but if you'd like I can give you this quick animation test along with a jump animation to try in Unity. I've had most luck exporting/importing .fbx, but let me know your thoughts.

#234 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

@Fattony12000: I'll get done with my idea by monday. But do you want us to do the wholestory or just the basic story?

#235 Posted by Fattony12000 (7588 posts) -

@SexyToad: Check this hot shit out:

http://www.giantbomb.com/pm/detail/3013289/setting-an-idea-in-stone/

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/lets-make-a-game-2012/562449/?page=11

There's a thing in those things that tells you what I want from all of the word-smiths. Read it.

If you're unsure as to what a plot synopsis is, take a quick look at these examples:

Desmond Miles, a bartender, is kidnapped by the Abstergo Industries. There, Desmond is forced to interface with the Animus, a device that is able to replay the genetic memories of the user's ancestors. In Desmond's case, they seek information about his ancestor Altaïr ibn-La'Ahad, an Assassin during the time of the Third Crusade. Within the Animus, Altaïr's memories reveal that he was attempting to stop Robert de Sablé from taking an artifact from a temple, but broke all three of the Assassins' Brotherhood's tenets in the process. The Brotherhood leader, Al Mualim, demotes Altaïr to the rank of Novice, and assigns him the task of assassinating nine people, all of whom are Templars, to regain his former status.

As Altaïr completes the assassinations, he finds that each was a member of the Templars searching the area for "Pieces of Eden", artifacts similar to the one de Sablé attempted to steal. Altaïr finds and accuses de Sablé in front of King Richard. King Richard makes the two fight and lets God decide who is telling the truth. Altaïr eventually kills de Sablé, who with his dying breath, reveals the existence of a tenth Templar: Al Mualim. Returning to the Brotherhood, Altaïr finds Al Mualim in possession of the Apple of Eden that is able to control people's minds. Altaïr is forced to fight his way through innocents and assassins under Al Mualim's control (with the help of Malik and other assassins still loyal to the creed) to reach Al Mualim, and engages him in battle. Altaïr eventually sees through Al Mualim's tricks using the artifact, and kills him. Upon approaching the artifact, Altaïr is surprised to find it displays a projection of the Earth marking several spots around the globe.

At this point, Desmond is brought out of the Animus, his purpose served. He comes to learn that Abstergo is a front for the modern-day Templars. Abstergo is now set to use the locations on the map seen by Altaïr to find more Pieces of Eden, believing that they must collect the artifacts to control the world's population in order to stave off the projected end of the world in 2012. Desmond's life is spared by Lucy Stillman, an Assassin mole doubling as an Abstergo scientist. Left alone in his locked room, Desmond discovers (through "the Bleeding Effect" from his time spent in the Animus) that he can observe numerous messages in blood on the walls and floor left by a previous test subject (Subject 16) that foretell the end of the world.

The game begins with a new team of Vault Hunters lured into a trap by Handsome Jack aboard a booby-trapped train and left for dead amid a snowy, frozen landscape, only to be rescued by a Claptrap robot, the last of his kind, who guides them to safety. Soon after, the Vault Hunters start receiving messages from the Guardian Angel who instructs them to help the Claptrap recover its lost vessel, and use it to travel to the city of Sanctuary and meet the members of a resistance movement opposing Handsome Jack's tyranny, led by Roland. Upon arriving at Sanctuary, the Vault Hunters learn that Roland is captured, and journey into bandit territory to recover him from a mass murderer known as the Firehawk. It is revealed that the Firehawk is actually Lilith, a Siren and one of the original Vault Hunters. She informs the players that he has been captured by the Bloodshot, a local group of bandits. The new Vault Hunters break into the Bloodshot base and rescue Roland, who reveals that the second Vault contains a powerful creature called the Warrior, who according to legend it will obey the commands of whoever awakens it, and Handsome Jack intends to obtain it by making use of the same Vault Key of the first game, now in his possession.

With assistance from demolitions expert Tiny Tina and Mordecai, the Vault Hunters ambush a train supposedly carrying the Vault Key. However, the train is a trap, containing the Hyperion Corporation's flagship robot, Wilhelm. Successfully defeating the robot, a unique power core is found in its wreckage, which could potentially power Sanctuary's shields for an extended period of time. After inserting the power core, Handsome Jack reveals that the Guardian Angel was working with him all this time, and has her shut down the shields, allowing him to bombard Sanctuary with mortars from his lunar base. The starship that the city was built upon is reactivated and lifts off, and Lilith uses her powers to teleport Sanctuary outside the lunar base's firing range, inadvertently leaving the Vault Hunters behind in the process. After raiding a Hyperion base for a lunar drop beacon, the Vault Hunters are able to fast travel back to Sanctuary, now floating in the sky. The Guardian Angel contacts the heroes again, revealing that she is not willing to follow his orders anymore and reveals that the Vault Key is being kept in a Hyperion base along with herself, with the best Hyperion security, weapons, and soldiers guarding them.

After obtaining the means to invade the base, the Vault Hunters successfully take over the base and reach the room where Angel is kept, just to find that she a Siren like Lilith and Maya whom Jack has been pumping full of Eridium to charge the Vault Key in a shorter amount of time than its normal 200-year charging cycle. It is also revealed that Angel is Handsome Jack's daughter. By Angel's request, the heroes destroy the machine where she is being held with Roland and Lilith's help. Soon after, Angel dies, but just before retrieving the Vault Key, an enraged Jack appears and kills Roland, before restraining Lilith, who uses her powers to teleport the other Vault Hunters back to Sanctuary, where they reconvene with Mordecai and Brick. After recovering information pertaining to the location of the Warrior, the Vault Hunters set out to end the conflict once and for all.

The Vault Hunters fight through one last massive Hyperion base to reach the new Vault, there they meet Lilith, forced to use her powers to charge the Key against her will, and Handsome Jack. Jack attacks the Vault Hunters, wanting revenge for the death of his daughter, but is overpowered by them. At that moment, the Key finishes charging, and Jack unlocks the Vault, summoning the Warrior, a massive dragon-like creature that appears to be made of lava and rock. The Vault Hunters fight and destroy the Warrior and Handsome Jack is ultimately killed. Lilith goes to remove the Vault Key from its slot in the ground, when suddenly it displays a map, showing the location of hundreds of other vaults across the galaxy.

Shortly after the events of Baldur's Gate, the player character's party is ambushed, and taken captive. The game opens with the PC awakening in a cage. They are being experimented upon by a wizard, whose name, it is later learned, is Jon Irenicus. The PC eventually escapes from the underground complex with some of their companions, including Imoen, a childhood friend. The group of adventurers find themselves in the city of Athkatla. Irenicus and Imoen are arrested by a group of Cowled Wizards for having used magic, which is strictly controlled in the region around the city, and teleported away.

In the slums of Athkatla, a man named Gaelan Bayle offers the party the help of associates of his, who can rescue Imoen for a large sum. To raise the sum, which amounts to 20,000 gold pieces, the party adventures through Athkatla and the surrounding lands. At length, they are approached by and offered the help of another rival organization, at whose head is Bodhi, a vampire; and it is the player's choice whom to side with.

Meanwhile, Imoen and Irenicus have been removed to an asylum called Spellhold, which is situated on an island. Irenicus breaks his bonds, takes over Spellhold, and resumes his experimentation on Imoen. With the help of captain Saemon Havarian, the party gains passage to the island. They then infiltrate the asylum, but upon finding Imoen, they are captured by Irenicus, who had all along planned the players' following him. Irenicus proceeds with another experimental process, during which the PC has a dream. In this dream, the PC defeats a personification of the Bhaal essence within them; and, upon doing so, the dream ends.

The PC awakens without a soul, as does Imoen; their souls having been wrested from them by Irenicus and Bodhi. The party is then let into a maze beneath Spellhold, to be hunted down by Bodhi. When they face her, the PC, having lost their soul, involuntarily transforms into an avatar of Bhaal, a creature called the Slayer, scaring off Bodhi. (The PC later learns to control and use the form, though it comes at a moral price.) The party soon battles Irenicus, but he flees into the Underdark. The party follows and, by way of the Underdark, reaches the surface.

Upon their reaching the surface, the adventurers encounter the army of the elven city of Suldanessellar. The elves are trapped without, as Irenicus has magically sealed the entrance to the city. To gain access to it, the party secures the Rhynn Lanthorn from Bodhi, who has stolen the artefact, and upon Bodhi being slain, Imoen's soul is restored. The party proceeds through Suldanessellar and, at the Tree of Life, finds Irenicus attempting a ritual designed to grant him immortality. The PC confronts and slays him, but is dragged with the wizard into hell, as Irenicus still has his soul, with the rest of the party following. After completing five moral trials in hell, they find Irenicus and defeat him. The PC and their companions then return to life, and are honoured by the elves of Suldanessellar.

#236 Posted by afrofools (1357 posts) -

@Tebbit: We're now accepting musicians again as the game will be non-commercial as originally intended.

@DarkMage530: Welcome to the team. Thank you for making things easier by providing your handles.

#237 Posted by afrofools (1357 posts) -

@GJSmitty: @verysexypotato: Welcome to the team. I am happy to announce we are accepting everyone. There are LEADS for some skill areas to provide direction in the team, who make decisions based on input.

#238 Posted by Tebbit (4480 posts) -
@afrofools in that case, sign me up!
#239 Posted by afrofools (1357 posts) -

If you want to join, sign up here:

#240 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Oh is there actually going to be voice acting in the game? I might be interested in helping with that :D

#241 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

@DrFlapjack: I'm not familiar at all with unity, but it's definitely a learning experience! So sure, a animation test and jump test would be great :) I looked at the rigidbody stuff, and I think I can disable some physics on the player model to prevent it from tipping over. For jumping I was thinking of using the method to apply force on a specific spot ( so just apply force at the bottom - ergo unit "jumps" and the physics take care of the rest ). Any advice and stuff you can give me would be great!

Do you know how easy it is for unity to accept 3d models ( possibly textured models ? ) from Maya or Blender ? I remember it was a nightmare to code something that could parse blender textured models for my own engine, so I hope it'll be easier in this.

#242 Posted by w1n5t0n (174 posts) -

@Bio2hazard: I would try disabling physics and adding a character controller. As for models I think you can just copy the .blend file straight into the assets folder and it will recognize it.

#243 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

My idea is almost finish! I'll clean it it up a bit and then tomorrow share it! You can look at right now if you want but I might change some stuff up!

#244 Posted by afrofools (1357 posts) -

Just some inspiration.

If you want to do voice acting, you're welcome to. We should have a basic plot in the next couple of days.

@Bio2hazard: I'm trying right now to choose a texture for a box in Blender, and I can't get the properties inspector thing to change appropriately for that task. Must view more tutorials...

#245 Edited by DrFlapjack (249 posts) -

@Bio2hazard: I'm an artist so I haven't had much experience programming, but I have tried plenty of times. There are some tutorials available on Unity's site, a little outdated perhaps, but a good place to start. I do know, however, that you can drag a Maya file directly into an open scene and it pops in there. The only caveat is that you have to have Maya installed on your machine which is why my team has been using .fbx files since not everyone has Maya.

If you'd like to try what winston suggested with the character controller and mess around with that, I'll get you a rough run and jump animation tomorrow. Perhaps @Eder or @Chaser324 would also be able to lend a hand if they're more familiar with Unity? Also there are some links with Unity tutorials and such in our other forum. And like I stated there, it would be good practice for everyone to familiarize yourself with Unity, at least a little.

Edit: One more thing, I found their API Reference to be helpful as well.

#246 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

@w1n5t0n: Well physics in general should be helpful. I looked at what's possible with it and it seems like there's some cool stuff :) I'll figure it out though. I'm curious by nature so I love diving into methods and checking out what I can do with em.

@DrFlapjack: Sure! I'll be looking forward for that model with running and jumping and I'll try to implement it. I've been reading through multiple unity tutorials ( mostly http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial andhttp://forum.unity3d.com/threads/37093-Over-7-hours-of-Unity-Training-Videos-Download-them-now!)

So far it's been going pretty well. The main thing that I need to wrap my head around is how to actually get into the code, how to cross-reference objects, how to have scripts run which arn't necessarily attached to a object in the hirachy and stuff like that. I will probably set up a more expanded test/demo tomorrow once I get that model from you, and then we can work from there :)

And yeah I always have the reference open! Currently on the rigidbody page to adjust the physics stuff :) rigidbodySo yeah, I definitely think I'm making good progress learning. I hope that soon we can split up some tasks for the other coders using the "scenes" in the game. I'm hoping one coder can do the menus, one coder can take care of battle screen and I guess I'll work on the exploration aspect.

#247 Edited by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

@Bio2hazard: Good to hear you're making progress learning to use Unity. Unfortunately, I'm just really struggling to find the time to work on this stuff right now. I'm trying to finish up a few other side projects that I've got going, but realistically, it might be 2-3 weeks before I have a lot of time to dedicate to this venture. I'll be happy to pitch in at that point, but I think for now, you along with possibly or should probably take point on the software side of things.

Sorry to have to mostly pull out for the moment, but I have an obligation to focus on these projects I have in progress that I'm getting paid to do.

#248 Posted by SSully (4266 posts) -

I have never made a game before but would love to offer my programming skills. Ill post my details to the main form.

#249 Posted by w1n5t0n (174 posts) -

@Bio2hazard: I was also struggling with where to place scripts, it seems people just attach them to empty game objects like a "MasterObject". I'm working on an event manager for another unity project and was able to make it a singleton. I'll share it with this project if needed.

#250 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

@w1n5t0n: Sure. I'm sure it'd help me out just by reading it and trying to understand what exactly you are doing :) A example of how exactly I can tie game mechanics together would be grand!