#1 Posted by Fattony12000 (6964 posts) -

#2 Edited by Fattony12000 (6964 posts) -

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED, AS OF MIDNIGHT 10/10/12 BST

Thank you all for your participation and comments!

Presented in alphabetical order, for your delight and delectation, our humble submissions for your kind consideration. Please vote and provide comments on what you like or dislike. Don't know what the hell I'm talking about? Then go over here:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/lets-make-a-game-2012/562449/

These are rough ideas that I got people to submit in just a few days, so take this as a first draft! Come on in and join the project if you've got the chops to help create HISTORY.

Dixego

DrFlapjack

Fattony12000

SexyToad #1

SexyToad #2

SexyToad #3

Thanks duders!

<>

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Resisting urge to vote for self...

#4 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Man, they're all so good I don't know which to choose.

#5 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

The general concepts are pretty cool, but I'm kind of disappointed that in light of the fact that we decided against a GiantBomb theme, most of the ideas are essentially just that.

Anyway, DrFlapjack's won my vote.

Well fucking done.
#6 Posted by DrFlapjack (233 posts) -

@Fattony12000: Perhaps links to the documents in the Brain Dump would be helpful? With more detail being in the documents it might help people who are having trouble deciding.

#7 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1959 posts) -

That extremely elaborate synopsis featuring the Bomb Squad vs. rivalvideogamewebsite won my vote! Although there should be a whole arc of that plot dedicated to GameBomb.ru as a red herring rivalvideogamewebsite uses to distract the Bomb Squad much like Strega was for SEES in Persona 3.

Dinosaur deserves an honorable mention, though, for best concept art ever.

#8 Posted by pyromagnestir (4199 posts) -

I'm going to vote G and submit my own, not because I don't like you's guys's ideas (I skimmed them and they seem pretty good), but because I thought up this Molydeux-esque concept late last night and there's no place else I can share it.

In a world full of people with superpowers, what if you were the only regular guy?

#9 Edited by Damodar (1287 posts) -

@mandude said:

The general concepts are pretty cool, but I'm kind of disappointed that in light of the fact that we decided against a GiantBomb theme, most of the ideas are essentially just that.

Anyway, DrFlapjack's won my vote.

Yeah, I thought that was the case too, but I think I misread the situation and I guess it was more of a decision not to use direct references to Giant Bomb and all therein that actually fall under the ownership of CBSi? Or I didn't misread the situation and ALL YOU PLOT WRITERS ARE REBELS. This, too, is a possibility.

As for where my vote goes, it's really hard to say. One thing that really stands out to me is that DrFlapjack's proposal is the only one where I can really visualise the game play. That aspect of his idea seems way more tangible to me than any of the others, which really makes it stand out and I can envision that game being played in my head with a clarity I don't have with the other ideas. There is definite appeal in that it sounds like it has a little bit of a roguelike element. It also seems like a more reasonable idea from the development standpoint because it sounds like a short, random/somewhat procedural experience with replay value which would be a more managable task. Although if people want to make a longer story driven RPG and will have the conviction to see it through, I'm on board with that and we do have a decent number of content creators signed up.

The other side of the coin is that something like SexyToad's 3rd idea, which has a kind of traditional RPG/traditional fantasy vibe to it makes me think of the pop-up story book vibe of the art and animation assets that have been messed around with so far. I kind of feel like I want to take some of DrFlapjack's gameplay ideas and smoosh them in to a story that's kind of at least presented in a storybookish way. What that would be, I dunno. Perhaps even something that was tonally or thematically fairly mature and/or dark to juxtapose the style in a possibly interesting way. I'll probably mull it over, kick some ideas around and maybe knock up a synopsis if I come up with anything good and nobody is terribly offended by a member of the music team encroaching in to plot territory :O

#10 Posted by DrFlapjack (233 posts) -

@Damodar said:

I kind of feel like I want to take some of DrFlapjack's gameplay ideas and smoosh them in to a story that's kind of at least presented in a storybookish way.

My pitch doc in googleDrive explains a bit more than it does here, but mechanics are king in my eyes. So if we took my mechanics and wrapped a completely different story around it I'd be cool with that.

That seems like a really interesting concept! I'm excited to see what you come up with.

#11 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

The one that isn't chock full of staff homages I guess.

#12 Posted by Eder (388 posts) -

The dino idea is something new I have never seen before. Got my vote

#13 Posted by teh_destroyer (3560 posts) -

Am I a terrible person for liking those type of stories when all the main characters die at the end?

#14 Edited by Fattony12000 (6964 posts) -

@SexyToad: Voting for yourself is fine, it does actually stand to reason if you think about it. Most people think that the thing that they wrote is best, after all! Also, you do need to be able to see the results somehow.

@mscupcakes: YOU MUST CHOICE!

@mandude: This is where things can get very grey and fluid and loose and slippery and something else. Some Giant Bomb references and homages, I believe, are probably going to be okay. I think it was generally agreed upon that we are not going to have things like GIANT BOMB and RYAN DAVIS mentioned by name in the game. We are also just looking at a small slice of a story that could be stuffed with a lot more of referential content, all I asked for here was a broad concept.

@DrFlapjack: We are just dealing with general, overall ideas here. Mechanics and systems are being left out of the loop specifically because we'll never get anywhere if we include that stuff here. That is NOT to say we aren't going to be discussing those deeper ideas in relation to plot, but this is to get the ball rolling.

@EquitasInvictus: That's my one! Thanks! I'm extremely interested stupid subplots, tell me more. (I also love the dinosaur, and I will personally push for it's inclusion no matter what).

#15 Posted by development (2003 posts) -

I gotta go with DrFlapJack's, not just because I like it a lot, but because it's also seemingly the most feasible.

#16 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

SexyToad isn't that sexy.

#17 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@Sursh said:

So cruel...

#18 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

My vote goes to Dixego.

Also, good job to whoever came up with TinyExplosives.com

Pretty funny name, and an obvious reference.

#19 Posted by Dixego (379 posts) -

Making some noise for this thread to get more views....

Also, yay! Someone voted for me!

#20 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Four people liked my first idea! :D (Including me it's 5)

#21 Posted by tariqari (430 posts) -

how can you tell how many people chose an idea? Sweet that we got 45 votes! I'm confident that the project will be seen alway the through! And I'm glad the ideas are all really solid. I would be proud to work on any of these game ideas. Heck, if we are gonna do this Let's make a game thing once a year, maybe we can reuse the ideas later or even implement some aspects of them into the final project somehow.

#22 Edited by Fattony12000 (6964 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: Write it up, and present it to me like this:

1) A cast of characters (at least the ones with major/recurring roles), along with brief descriptions of their personality and part in the story.

2) A list of the main locations/settings that we will visit throughout the game, provide a short descriptive passage to convey look and feel. Provide images/video/audio if you want.

3) A 500(ish) word synopsis of the plot.

4) Examples from any other forms of art that you are taking inspiration from, provide supplementary text/video/images/anything to help illustrate points that you want to express.

Then PM or email (giantbombgame@gmail.com) me the Google Doc embed link, like this:

Everyone reading this is still more than welcome to submit ideas, you will have to go through the official channels to get onto the team, proper. But nothing is locked down yet, there may be another round of voting to come, depending on how things turn out here (I plan to let this vote run until around midnight tonight, UK time, which is about 14 hours from now).

@Damodar: Things like gameplay mechanics and systems are not really the point of this stage in the process, in my part of the development. This work is to give some kind of direction to people like artists and musicians and gameplay designers, an overview of what we might see, where we might go, who we might meet. That kind of thang.

@AlexW00d: Which one is that, then!?

@Eder: Always be dinosauring.

@teh_destroyer: Nope, I'm way down for that. Dark Middle Chapters all the way through.

#23 Edited by Ghostiet (5209 posts) -

Either Fattony's or SexyToad's 1st, since both explore the intern concept which I think is the one that has the most potential for the best lulz and in-jokes.

Yeah, SexyToad's 1st, since it contains bits and pieces of my own idea which I didn't submit officially because the first week of university is a complete, utter bitch.

#24 Posted by thebatmobile (979 posts) -

DrFlapjack's idea is the best one. Why? It doesn't have stupid Giant Bomb references in it.

Also, dinosaurs that level up is awesome.

#25 Edited by Daryl (1781 posts) -

This comes across as more of a platform for the authors to stroke their own egos and host a popularity contest as opposed to coming up with actual game stories. I'll pass.

#26 Posted by Fattony12000 (6964 posts) -

@development said:

I gotta go with DrFlapJack's, not just because I like it a lot, but because it's also seemingly the most feasible.

We make the most feasible games.

@SexyToad said:

@Sursh said:

So cruel...

You and SexyToad are the new secret romance characters now.

@Vigorousjammer said:

My vote goes to Dixego.

Also, good job to whoever came up with TinyExplosives.com

Pretty funny name, and an obvious reference.

Drop motherfuckin' explosives all over this!

@Dixego said:

Making some noise for this thread to get more views....

Also, yay! Someone voted for me!

Naize!

@SexyToad said:

Four people liked my first idea! :D (Including me it's 5)

Naize!

@tariqari said:

how can you tell how many people chose an idea? Sweet that we got 45 votes! I'm confident that the project will be seen alway the through! And I'm glad the ideas are all really solid. I would be proud to work on any of these game ideas. Heck, if we are gonna do this Let's make a game thing once a year, maybe we can reuse the ideas later or even implement some aspects of them into the final project somehow.

Vote and then you can see the % breakdown, you'll have to do some super dope maths to work out the numbers. Or use a computer!

@Ghostiet said:

Either Fattony's or SexyToad's 1st, since both explore the intern concept which I think is the one that has the most potential for the best lulz and in-jokes.

Yeah, SexyToad's 1st, since it contains bits and pieces of my own idea which I didn't submit officially because the first week of university is a complete, utter bitch.

Thanks for your input! You are more than welcome to send an idea to me, as and when you can duder!

@thebatmobile said:

DrFlapjack's idea is the best one. Why? It doesn't have stupid Giant Bomb references in it.

Also, dinosaurs that level up is awesome.

I am strongly pro levelling-up dinosaurs.

@Daryl said:

This comes across as more of a platform for the authors to stroke their own egos and host a popularity contest as opposed to coming up with actual game stories. I'll pass.

Thanks for your input! You are more than welcome to send an idea to me, as and when you can duder!

#27 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

When are we ending this? And if so will we do another one of these, seeing as some more people are wanting to submit ideas.

#28 Posted by DrFlapjack (233 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

When are we ending this? And if so will we do another one of these, seeing as some more people are wanting to submit ideas.

I believe voting ends tonight at the spooky time of midnight UK time. And yes, if we receive more ideas we will introduce another poll. We are trying to figure out logistics in relation to deciding a story because we have a lot of artists sitting around waiting to get to work (i.e. me) and we don't want to have a month long series of polls, but still want to hear everyone's awesome ideas!

#29 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Drflapjack gets my vote mostly due to dinosaurs.

#30 Edited by Fattony12000 (6964 posts) -

@SexyToad: @DrFlapjack: Yup, I'm gonna call a cut off to this round of voting in 12 minutes' time!

@Phatmac: We gots to have turn-based dinosaurs.

And we are c-c-c-closed for now! Thanks duders! I will be talking to the relevant people in a few hours, to see what we want to do to move this thing forward.
<>